• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That could work. I haven't even defined the lead character that much, plus there's plenty of time till NaNo to flesh this out.
It's how i usually flesh out characters. I will have them interact with other characters i have or just a version of myself to figure out how i want them to respond or what motivates them. But I'm weird lol.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cliches become cliches because they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.

-Terry Pratchett

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
For my first attempt at a professional book cover, I decided to go with a book cover designer rather than an illustrator. The designer thinks he can get reasonably close to the style I want using stock images. I put down a down payment, and should get the first draft of two different cover concepts in about thirteen days. I'm getting impatient already. If this doesn't work out, then next time I'll speak with an illustrator.

For my first attempt at a professional book cover, I decided to go with a book cover designer rather than an illustrator. The designer thinks he can get reasonably close to the style I want using stock images. I put down a down payment, and should get the first draft of two different cover concepts in about thirteen days. I'm getting impatient already. If this doesn't work out, then next time I'll speak with an illustrator.

Exciting! Will you post when it's done? I love seeing people's covers, and I'm always keen to have good designer options for future books.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
Exciting! Will you post when it's done? I love seeing people's covers, and I'm always keen to have good designer options for future books.

Let me see how it comes out. I looked at a dozen or more cover designers over the last couple of months. Most of them have a ton of pre-mades available for sale, so (I'm hoping) it gives you a sense of their style.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Let me see how it comes out. I looked at a dozen or more cover designers over the last couple of months. Most of them have a ton of pre-mades available for sale, so (I'm hoping) it gives you a sense of their style.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I went the trade publishing route, so while my publisher asks for my response to the cover, I have zero control over it, or final approval. Curious to see what it's like working this way.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
So would people in here mind if I rambled about writer's block? I'm in a pretty specific situation, so there may be a solution to it, but I haven't found it myself in years of trying. I can give details but I only spill on personal details if I know someone is paying attention. Cutting open a vein should come with a guaranteed premium.

Oct 25, 2017
So would people in here mind if I rambled about writer's block? I'm in a pretty specific situation, so there may be a solution to it, but I haven't found it myself in years of trying. I can give details but I only spill on personal details if I know someone is paying attention. Cutting open a vein should come with a guaranteed premium.

Go ahead, this thread is just as much for the frustrations as it is the successes.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening.

Wate

May 22, 2019
With regards to contacting bloggers to market a self-published book, are there any good resources for finding them, or any you guys would recommend? Particularly progressive/left-leaning blogs.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Is there a thread where we can share our vlogs?

I travelled few places, would like show those places to everyone

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
With regards to contacting bloggers to market a self-published book, are there any good resources for finding them, or any you guys would recommend? Particularly progressive/left-leaning blogs.

There are groups with different interests on GoodReads, so you might want to look there for your genre of book to see if there are bloggers there that do reviews. I know there are some pretty active fantasy and science fiction reviewers and review groups on Goodreads, but since I don't know what genre your book is, I don't know if that's useful to you or not. However, whether it's romance, YA, middle grade, thriller, or literary, there are different interest groups, with reviewers, who do blog, so you might find some potential reviewers there.

Jan 13, 2018
'sup, EraAuthors! 📝

I'm narrating my live Halloween Special 🎃 on Mixer soon. I try to add new short stories from upcoming writers each year, mixed in with traditional classics from Poe, Lovecraft, etc. It's three hours of spoopy stories, on Halloween night. 👻 If anyone is interested in sharing a tale of terror (5k words max), to have read on my audiobook narration livestream, just send me a message. 📚🤓

Oct 25, 2017
I'll second Carrington, I had him read a story of mine and it was very helpful and his audience was very nice. It was a really good experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Side note: oh man did we get no traction from that community spotlight. Poetry thread got way more love and that's fucked up cause everyone hates poetry!

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
my submission was sloppy and could've used a few more hours in the oven but I'm glad I submitted it. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

Oct 25, 2017
There's always Nano. Even if you don't win, just trying to tackle a massive project with a group of people can be a learning experience.

(Also glad you submitted! It's always good to get stories even if they're rough!)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There's always Nano. Even if you don't win, just trying to tackle a massive project with a group of people can be a learning experience.

(Also glad you submitted! It's always good to get stories even if they're rough!)
I think I have to object to your usage of the word massive.
If Nano is considered massive I don't even want to know what adjective to use to describe some other projects >.>

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've been in this weird phase for the past couple weeks where I've been writing the first +10 pages to a script then move to the next concept I have. I've got 4 projects open on Celtx and I'm just staring at all of them knowing I need to plant my feet on one and bite the bullet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in this weird phase for the past couple weeks where I've been writing the first +10 pages to a script then move to the next concept I have. I've got 4 projects open on Celtx and I'm just staring at all of them knowing I need to plant my feet on one and bite the bullet.
There's nothing really wrong with that. You can keep doing that until you find something that really grips you.
no need to force yourself to do an idea that isn't gripping your attention if you have lots of them coming right now.

Mar 19, 2019
Great OT, OP. Glad to be along for the wild ride of maybe, possibly writing eventually.

Incidentally, will there be anymore contests coming up? I'd love to enter!

Oct 25, 2017
Got a rejection letter before work today and that was kinda a bummer but it's also been a very unproductive year for me in general. I really should put in work and get another short story going out in rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished probably the longest short story I'll write all year at 12k words. It was fun, took me over a week, gave me an excuse to listen to a bunch of different rock music, and I had a lot of fun writing it. Now that I'm done with it, I can focus all my attention to Nano!!

Side note: I've been trying to write more me stuff where I'm going in purposefully with the intent of no one ever reading it and the stories aren't good but they're fun and I dunno I've just been enjoying writing lately. This year I haven't really been enjoying what I write as much, so this has been a nice little project.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I finished probably the longest short story I'll write all year at 12k words. It was fun, took me over a week, gave me an excuse to listen to a bunch of different rock music, and I had a lot of fun writing it. Now that I'm done with it, I can focus all my attention to Nano!!

Side note: I've been trying to write more me stuff where I'm going in purposefully with the intent of no one ever reading it and the stories aren't good but they're fun and I dunno I've just been enjoying writing lately. This year I haven't really been enjoying what I write as much, so this has been a nice little project.
so... you aren't going to top 12k with your nano :P

yes I get it's not a short story.

anyways glad you enjoyed writing it.
You could still go post it on like wattspad or whatever it's called and see if anyone else wants to read something that you enjoy :P

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I thought about doing Nano this year but I've already got two unfinished projects - one I'm being paid for, and another my writing group think I can actually sell - that really need my attention instead.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second draft complete, took about two and a half months. Now to try and shorten it a bit in the third draft before I hand it off to others to read...

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't get selected as a mentee for #PitchWars despite getting two full manuscript requests. Back to square one with the querying.

Pitch Wars is tough, and I say this as someone that tried twice to get picked as mentee, got requests, but never got selected.

The GOOD news, however, is that Pitch Wars is just one venue, and not the only one, by far. My novel that's coming out next year is a Pitch Wars 2017 rejectee, so even if the mentors at Pitch Wars don't like your book, that DOES NOT mean an agent won't like it, and an editor might not eventually like it too. Just remember that sometimes books get rejected not because they're no good, but because they're "close enough" that sometimes the mentors don't feel like they can be much help. Other times they reject it because they feel there's something there, but the timeline for getting it ready might not line up with Pitch Wars scheduling for submission to agents.

So keep at it. It does suck when you get requests and don't get picked, believe me, I've been there. But it's far from your only shot.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading through the manuscript I was hoping to get to my agent this year and... man I really don't like it. Life has been kicking my ass the past few months and I was excited to finally return to this, but now I don't know what to think.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Pitch Wars is tough, and I say this as someone that tried twice to get picked as mentee, got requests, but never got selected.

The GOOD news, however, is that Pitch Wars is just one venue, and not the only one, by far. My novel that's coming out next year is a Pitch Wars 2017 rejectee, so even if the mentors at Pitch Wars don't like your book, that DOES NOT mean an agent won't like it, and an editor might not eventually like it too. Just remember that sometimes books get rejected not because they're no good, but because they're "close enough" that sometimes the mentors don't feel like they can be much help. Other times they reject it because they feel there's something there, but the timeline for getting it ready might not line up with Pitch Wars scheduling for submission to agents.

So keep at it. It does suck when you get requests and don't get picked, believe me, I've been there. But it's far from your only shot.
Thank you, I really appreciate the encouragement.

I know Pitch Wars is only one path to publication but I was hoping this could be ours. I really want some professional feedback/help on the manuscript and this was a great opportunity to get some. I'm just going to pour as much energy as I can into NaNoWriMo instead :-P

Congratulations on your book coming out!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I know Pitch Wars is only one path to publication but I was hoping this could be ours. I really want some professional feedback/help on the manuscript and this was a great opportunity to get some. I'm just going to pour as much energy as I can into NaNoWriMo instead :-P

Congratulations on your book coming out!

Thanks. It was a long, LONG road.

As far as professional feedback, what's your beta reader situation? I know that's not "professional," but good beta readers can level up your writing tremendously, and can often be critical to getting you to the level where the professionals like agents and editors want to give you that final nudge for a publishable book. If you've got a reader or three who's editorial insight you trust, that's a lot of progress already. Barring that, if you have the money, there's also professional editors that can provide what's called a "developmental edit," but these usually cost hundreds of dollars, and are essentially a paid beta read, but of course, from a pro.