• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 10, 2018
Hello all! New to the forums (though I've been lurking for some time) and would just like to extend greetings to my fellow peers!

still an amateur myself, and am currently 29(30) chapters deep into my current WIP. TBH I wasn't expecting it to be this long (and unfinished), but getting this invested in my characters - the world and narrative I'm attempting to flesh out - it's been an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

Don't want to spoil too much, but the story delves into the psychological horror genre as an introspection in the ways early trauma can affect us later in life. Or, what I like to call - a significantly more grounded take on the popular "possession" trope.

Now that I'm on here I look to check in regularly - see what you guys are up to, offer and receive advice - that sort of thing. Let's make this process as fun as possible, together!

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all! New to the forums (though I've been lurking for some time) and would just like to extend greetings to my fellow peers!

still an amateur myself, and am currently 29(30) chapters deep into my current WIP. TBH I wasn't expecting it to be this long (and unfinished), but getting this invested in my characters - the world and narrative I'm attempting to flesh out - it's been an enjoyable ride nonetheless.

Don't want to spoil too much, but the story delves into the psychological horror genre as an introspection in the ways early trauma can affect us later in life. Or, what I like to call - a significantly more grounded take on the popular "possession" trope.

Now that I'm on here I look to check in regularly - see what you guys are up to, offer and receive advice - that sort of thing. Let's make this process as fun as possible, together!
Welcome!

tenor.gif

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Welcome!
So you're dealing with a psychiatric explanation for possession, if I've read that right?

what references do people use for cyberpunk, just wikipedia or is there more to it.

Depends what you're looking to reference - lists of works? Visuals? Notable authors?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny how we write knowing that there will be things to be fixed latter during the revision process. Then as you read it and fix these problems knowing that there's still some things to be improved, and as you read again you find more and more stuff to fix, like, what the hell, man! Where did these gremlins came from? Then when you think you've fixed those, OH MY GOD, this will never end! And you start feeling awful about your writing skills and thinking that you'll never have the courage to show your work to anyone, but at the same time you feel awful for having spent so much time with it that you feel that it's too late to give up...

Jun 10, 2018
Welcome!
So you're dealing with a psychiatric explanation for possession, if I've read that right?
Absolutely. Consider that when anything traumatic, or life-altering happens, we typically see a change in someone's behavior. Some of it mild, some of it short-lived, but a noticeable change nonetheless.

Then there are those cases where the event is like a divergent point, in where behavior is altered for an extended period of time, if not permanently. Almost to the point where the people who knew that person before the change in attitude will say they've turned into someone else they don't recognize anymore.

That base idea is essentially the driving force behind my WIP, titled Lucidity.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
anything to better get a grasp on setting/environment/tech
Wikipedia will give you a rough overview, but I'd recommend actually reading/watching some material in the genre - I'm currently reading some William Gibson, who's a good place to start, or for a more modern take you could try something like Emma Newman's After Atlas.
There are plenty of videogames in the setting as well - Technobabylon and VA11 HALL-A are recent favourites of mine.

For the tech side, I'd look less into fiction/existing media and more into stuff like recent advances in prosthetics, smart technology, VR or all the Facebook privacy concerns and try and extrapolate from there. New ideas come in so often that anything in fiction looks dated very quickly, I think.

Absolutely. Consider that when anything traumatic, or life-altering happens, we typically see a change in someone's behavior. Some of it mild, some of it short-lived, but a noticeable change nonetheless.

Then there are those cases where the event is like a divergent point, in where behavior is altered for an extended period of time, if not permanently. Almost to the point where the people who knew that person before the change in attitude will say they've turned into someone else they don't recognize anymore.

That base idea is essentially the driving force behind my WIP, titled Lucidity.

That is true, and it could be a very good basis for a novel! I think I remember a similar hook being used for multiple-personality disorder in Shirley Jackson's The Bird's Nest.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny how we write knowing that there will be things to be fixed latter during the revision process. Then as you read it and fix these problems knowing that there's still some things to be improved, and as you read again you find more and more stuff to fix, like, what the hell, man! Where did these gremlins came from? Then when you think you've fixed those, OH MY GOD, this will never end! And you start feeling awful about your writing skills and thinking that you'll never have the courage to show your work to anyone, but at the same time you feel awful for having spent so much time with it that you feel that it's too late to give up...
It be like that sometimes.
I'm just going along and writing each day even with the voices in my head telling me this sucks. It'll work itself out when I'm finally done and ready to move to editing!

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
You were supposed to survive, man! ;)

Emma Newman's After Atlas.
Is that a slap on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged? :D

It be like that sometimes.
I'm just going along and writing each day even with the voices in my head telling me this sucks. It'll work itself out when I'm finally done and ready to move to editing!
I'm currently reworking on a novelette that I made last year, and I had a really hard time to come up with a new beginning for it, but once it was done, the next few pages were like a dream, just minor tweaks here and there, no sweat. Now I'm having a hard time to come up with a new end, and I started reading the whole thing again, and guess what: the dream was actually a nightmare, 'cuz I'm finding lot's of problems that I haven't seen before. This is maddening.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations to do after finishing a project while hoping it grabs traction? The fall can be quite hard after finishing something that you feel is the best you can, but if it ends up not "working out" from a market standpoint, it can leave you completely devastated. Kind of like a break up that occurs that you didn't want to happen.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations to do after finishing a project while hoping it grabs traction? The fall can be quite hard after finishing something that you feel is the best you can, but if it ends up not "working out" from a market standpoint, it can leave you completely devastated. Kind of like a break up that occurs that you didn't want to happen.
if you are hoping any project is going to grab traction you are doing it wrong in general.
doesn't matter if it's a book, or a game, or art.

get it out there.
and don't stop getting it out there.
market, market, market.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
if you are hoping any project is going to grab traction you are doing it wrong in general.
doesn't matter if it's a book, or a game, or art.

get it out there.
and don't stop getting it out there.
market, market, market.

Well my project is a screenplay which isn't as easy as just self publishing, which I have done for novel/novella works.

And I do get it out there.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, Black Creek came out today and it's been a weird day.

First day sales are pretty much what I expected given no marketing so far. My pre-release giveaway copies haven't amounted to much in the way of reviews so far. My first review was a 3 star review that called it "a very well written book" but complained the story is too complicated. Which honestly just made me laugh more than anything. Got a couple better ones after that but still pretty low volume.

I've got some marketing starting tomorrow so it'll be an interesting next couple of days.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

First day sales are pretty much what I expected given no marketing so far. My pre-release giveaway copies haven't amounted to much in the way of reviews so far. My first review was a 3 star review that called it "a very well written book" but complained the story is too complicated. Which honestly just made me laugh more than anything. Got a couple better ones after that but still pretty low volume.

I've got some marketing starting tomorrow so it'll be an interesting next couple of days.

Three reviews isn't bad (going by personal experience) and have one of them critical actually makes the others more credible. I wouldn't worry too much!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
finally, after weeks of writing (I had a 42586 word side story lol), I am reaching the climax of the book I am working on. To celebrate I decided to put together the playlist I am planning on listening to while writing the climax on youtube.

and for the heck of it I will share it
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbWpDxxSZiRR2Q1sr-EsvO72jsJ0Gmw2l

by design I wanted the reader to feel like a decent amount of time had passed since when I left the main group for this book and rejoined them, but I hadn't planned the side story being as long and involved as it was. Plus side a good chunk of the side story is important for the overall story (when I originally started it I had planned it on mostly being a lighter fluff piece, but I am apparently bad at that lol), and still involving some of the main cast, but it also needs a lot of editing. I wouldn't be surprised if after editing I could get it into the low 20Ks

either way, here's hoping the climax goes well as I need to get 2k words out today and tomorrow so I don't feel guilty when I am bombarded with guests later this week lol.

That's a pretty intriguing combination of genres - I'll have to give it a look next payday!

Librarything are patchy (only a small number of people who win copies seem to review, and there's no way of linking to the giveaway directly) but they have two main advantages:
- They're free (as opposed to goodreads, netgalley, eidelweiss etc)
- Their standard giveaway section is primarily for 'middle-aged' books - the upcoming releases is a separate list altogether

The other giveaway site I use is Instafreebie, but that's less for reviews and more for getting people to download previews of the book so they'll hopefully buy the whole thing. I've had a decent number of downloads (1000-ish in seven months) but no way of knowing whether that's translated into sales or not.

So far I've mostly been met with a wall of silence on the blogger front so I can't recommend many individually - I got most of my names from sites like Indieview, who list bloggers by genre and accepted formats.

I've had slightly more luck with local news media - groups like New Writing North seem happy to promote authors who live in the North of England and I think that got me a couple of sales?

I'd be delighted to brainstorm strategies - my first book came out seven months ago and sales have slowed down quite a bit, and I'm really short of reviews for my newest release.

Cheers, Xagarath! I I'd say yours is right up my alley, too. Hey, maybe that's a good 'middle-aged' strategy. Book exchange with fellow authors? :D

Thanks for the rundown on the giveaways. For smaller authors, even patchy results are something, though, right? I'll have to check out librarything and see if I can't do some kind of push maybe right before the final chapter of Dead Leads is published so that I can tie it to book 2's release. Instafreebie sounds interesting as well. Even if it doesn't translate to high sales, people can get a taste of it. That might work well for getting people to hang around for a second book. Is that something you've thought about for your recent release?

I feel you on the bloggers. They're so tough to get eyeballs from. I'd kill to get a video review (that's not from a missionary who hates swearing). I did see in GoodReads that there's a review request section (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/178227) that seems to have recent/some activity from bloggers. Maybe an option?

Will check out New Writing North!

So...

1) Media push to funnel readers to book 2/older release
- 'Celebrating' the release of latest book by giving away first one on Twitter, FB, related book sites
- Tie it to a holiday giveaway (Halloween, Father's Day, etc.)?
2) Book exchange with other authors to get fresh reviews to rekindle some momentum
3) Er... I need more coffee. :D

Do you have a Twitter, btw? Unless we're already connected? My brain is dead after months of baby.

Welcome from one whose book is about ghostly possession to one whose book is about more grounded possession! Had no idea there were so many fellow horror lovers in here.

what references do people use for cyberpunk, just wikipedia or is there more to it.

As Xagarath said William Gibson is your man. He pretty much set the tone for a lot of the genre. Read Neuromancer, Idoru, Count Zero, etc. Some of my favorite books.

Screenplays sound much harder to market/grab traction because no one generally reads those for causal pleasure. If you've got media accounts, though, why not get some friends (or Era talent?) to read some of the scenes and record them. Then you can showcase those in timed releases to entice people to read the whole thing. You could do video, or just audio, or if you've any drawing talent, maybe storyboard scenes and showcase those?

Congrats! And judging from Amazon and GoodReads, you've got a fair number of reviews already, especially with zero marketing. How many were you expecting? I think for most self-published authors, even getting a few is cause for celebration. What's your strategy moving forward?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Cheers, Xagarath! I I'd say yours is right up my alley, too. Hey, maybe that's a good 'middle-aged' strategy. Book exchange with fellow authors? :D

Thanks for the rundown on the giveaways. For smaller authors, even patchy results are something, though, right? I'll have to check out librarything and see if I can't do some kind of push maybe right before the final chapter of Dead Leads is published so that I can tie it to book 2's release. Instafreebie sounds interesting as well. Even if it doesn't translate to high sales, people can get a taste of it. That might work well for getting people to hang around for a second book. Is that something you've thought about for your recent release?

I feel you on the bloggers. They're so tough to get eyeballs from. I'd kill to get a video review (that's not from a missionary who hates swearing). I did see in GoodReads that there's a review request section (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/178227) that seems to have recent/some activity from bloggers. Maybe an option?

Will check out New Writing North!

So...

1) Media push to funnel readers to book 2/older release
- 'Celebrating' the release of latest book by giving away first one on Twitter, FB, related book sites
- Tie it to a holiday giveaway (Halloween, Father's Day, etc.)?
2) Book exchange with other authors to get fresh reviews to rekindle some momentum
3) Er... I need more coffee. :D

Do you have a Twitter, btw? Unless we're already connected? My brain is dead after months of baby.

I'd be down for a book exchange! Want to PM me on here or goodreads?

I've thought about it, but both of my books are standalone (though they share a setting) so it's harder to hook people from one into the other. But I think all of the sites together seems to amount to a few concrete sales and reviews, which certainly does amount to something!

I looked into the Goodreads groups but I noticed that all the posts on there seem to get very few views - I worry the membership might be largely authors rather than actual reviewers? Might be worth taking another look though.

Sounds like a plan - especially the coffee at this hour of the morning!

I have a slightly experimental twitter @FragmentsofFear

Last edited:

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Congrats! And judging from Amazon and GoodReads, you've got a fair number of reviews already, especially with zero marketing. How many were you expecting? I think for most self-published authors, even getting a few is cause for celebration. What's your strategy moving forward?

Yeah I wouldn't say I was expecting more, but given the 41 people I gave it to a few weeks ago on LibraryThing, I hoped a few more would come through. Maybe others will in the next few weeks, we'll see.

I have a spot in BargainBooksy Fantasy today and I'll probably run some light ads for the next week.

It might be good to try and get it to some bloggers, but that whole process seems pretty impenetrable.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Screenplays sound much harder to market/grab traction because no one generally reads those for causal pleasure. If you've got media accounts, though, why not get some friends (or Era talent?) to read some of the scenes and record them. Then you can showcase those in timed releases to entice people to read the whole thing. You could do video, or just audio, or if you've any drawing talent, maybe storyboard scenes and showcase those?

I appreciate your feedback and ideas. Yeah scripts aren't read for fun unless your a nerd for them I supposed. There is a reason I took a long break from writing them because the outcome for the most part feels like it was all for nothing. Ultimately it is for it to be shown and made, but since that is such a low prospect it is a huge mind F and the crash after the excitement you have while writing is really hard. Some people can just spit them out and avoid it, I get too invested in it because the subject matter always deals with things close to heart and a way for me to express them.

I may do a prose version and self publish like I've done with other projects. Problem is I have dyslexia so even editing a script/screenplay can be a huge pain in the ass. It is a bit easier with scripts because it is a very focused writing style of present tense with very few words to express what is being seen. But even then, I miss things.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I appreciate your feedback and ideas. Yeah scripts aren't read for fun unless your a nerd for them I supposed. There is a reason I took a long break from writing them because the outcome for the most part feels like it was all for nothing. Ultimately it is for it to be shown and made, but since that is such a low prospect it is a huge mind F and the crash after the excitement you have while writing is really hard. Some people can just spit them out and avoid it, I get too invested in it because the subject matter always deals with things close to heart and a way for me to express them.

I may do a prose version and self publish like I've done with other projects. Problem is I have dyslexia so even editing a script/screenplay can be a huge pain in the ass. It is a bit easier with scripts because it is a very focused writing style of present tense with very few words to express what is being seen. But even then, I miss things.

Ooph. I feel you on that.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the writing process, to me that is an important factor.

How do y'all concentrate on writing with these E3 announcements lmao

Well this year was interesting as my interest in E3 was very low as I actually forgot that it started this week and just spent the day brainstorming idea for a short story that I am planning to enter for a competition.

Milkbeard’s Published Works list

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I have good news. A short story I wrote in one of the Creative Writing threads was accepted by a publication. I had, of course, made numerous changes since then, and even changed the title (formerly "Fiend of Galdratia," now "A Chance Meeting").

The magazine is Mythic Circle, and the story is set to be published in their next magazine which is supposed to come out in August.

...And now, I can finally say I'm a published author ;)

EDIT: Mythopoeic Society homepage. It's under Mythic Circle, under the Publications tab, and the issue is Mythic Circle 40 (Summer 2018). I saw them post that they were going to start making digital versions of their magazines, which is nice. Eventually it will be online.

Last edited:

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I have good news. A short story I wrote in one of the Creative Writing threads was accepted by a publication. I had, of course, made numerous changes since then, and even changed the title (formerly "Fiend of Galdratia," now "A Chance Meeting").

The magazine is Mythic Circle, and the story is set to be published in their next magazine which is supposed to come out in August.

Yay, congrats, man! That must feel awesome.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the first time you get into print.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Congratulations. It's always a bit mind blowing when a paying publication says "yes," to you for the first time in your life, and some time later you actually get a cashable check for a story you wrote. Savor the moment.

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats! Love it when challenge stories get published! Guess ive gotta dig through old threads to refresh myself on which story that was.

Jun 10, 2018
Hmm, I know conventional wisdom says that, with regard to marketing, worry about that stuff after you get the book completed, but does that also mean ignoring it entirely?

I have a couple ideas of curating a platform and audience for myself, and while I won't devote any significant time towards it, I do want to get the ball rolling.

To every one who has already successfully published their first work (traditionally or otherwise): What route did you end up taking? Should I even be concerned about it at this point?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I know conventional wisdom says that, with regard to marketing, worry about that stuff after you get the book completed, but does that also mean ignoring it entirely?

I have a couple ideas of curating a platform and audience for myself, and while I won't devote any significant time towards it, I do want to get the ball rolling.

To every one who has already successfully published their first work (traditionally or otherwise): What route did you end up taking? Should I even be concerned about it at this point?

Some of this depends on your own personal predisposition, plus whatever your agent or publisher advises.

I'm sort of "waiting in the wings" in this department. I've got an agent and the book is currently out on submission with acquiring editors, but I have no publishing deal yet. Up until the acquisition of my agent, I only had my own personal website for my freelance writing gigs, and at the moment, it's still being used for just that. However, once I got my agent, she advised to at, at the very least, set up some social media accounts, since I only had a Google+ account, which Does Not Count these days. I'm pretty anti-social otherwise, so I grudgingly created a Twitter account and a Facebook page, and then got my Goodreads account upgraded to author status.

Other than that, what you should be doing is just be natural, especially if you don't actually have any work to actively promote. If you're naturally sociable, especially online, continue to do so. Don't aggressively start adding friends left, right and center just so you can spam them with promotional tweets at a later date. Engage with others on forums like this one or, if you're specifically looking to snag more writer/reader friends, on forums like AbsoluteWrite that cater specifically to writers. Just DON'T be aggressively spammy. In the same way that you hate it when marketing people add you to lists and then just start mailing you stuff, it'll be the same if you start being mercenary and looking to create mailing lists to sell future books.

Later, if you get a traditional book deal, for example, and your publisher is arranging for interviews, blog tours, or, if you're doing really well, real world book tours, you can worry about how to effectively market yourself.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, congrats, man! That must feel awesome.

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the first time you get into print.

Congratulations. It's always a bit mind blowing when a paying publication says "yes," to you for the first time in your life, and some time later you actually get a cashable check for a story you wrote. Savor the moment.

Congrats! Love it when challenge stories get published! Guess ive gotta dig through old threads to refresh myself on which story that was.

Thanks everyone. It was surreal. When I first started reading the response email, the editor was complimenting the story, but I was thinking, "oh, this is a nice way to start a rejection letter..." It didn't sink in until I skimmed down.

Anyway, this magazine doesn't pay, but I don't care the least bit about that. It seems like a pretty cool magazine, and I'm gonna buy a few copies for family as a sort of celebration for my first published story.

It was a hell of a morale booster as well, and I've quickly returned to working on another story I haven't finished yet.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Just went to a week-long writers workshop. Got feedback from a literary idol of mine and spent some time resetting the writing practice.

Super psyched about writing again!

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just summit a short story to BBC Ouch for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. So nervous, though I doubt that they will pick me but I at least tried rather than going. "Oh no, I am not good enough to do that."

Oh wow that's cool! Congrats. :D

Just went to a week-long writers workshop. Got feedback from a literary idol of mine and spent some time resetting the writing practice.

Super psyched about writing again!

Nice one, glad to hear that. :D

Personally I have been diving deep in the writing community on twitter, met bunch of lovely, interesting folks who I think are just amazing.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I have been diving deep in the writing community on twitter, met bunch of lovely, interesting folks who I think are just amazing.

That's a feat in and of itself. The writing community on Twitter is so huge that I find it intimidating. So far the only writers I've really been able to reach out and have any sort of regular connection with are other clients of my agent. Aside from that, I can't keep up with the sheer volume of writers talking about writing stuff on Twitter, there's So Damn Much...

Oct 26, 2017
Yay! I just had my first rejection for a screenplay contest. Didn't even make it past first round. Oof! Good times.

I really wish I could get back into writing novels. After writing screenplays for so long, writing a novel just feels so damn different. But I feel like I have a much better chance of getting somewhere writing novels instead of screenplays. And yet I can spit out screenplays that much faster. Decisions, decisions.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else ever feel the need to shake up their formula's in some way?

Didn't even make it past first round. Oof! Good times.

I had a similar situation with a writing contest. It was three rounds and I didn't even make it past the first. Especially awkward cause I read two of the passing stories and was meh about them but whatevers. Time and brandy cure all wounds.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else ever feel the need to shake up their formula's in some way?

I've tried messing around in different genres and time periods, though it's all fallen under the umbrella of SFF. Because I was so heavily influenced by Neil Gaiman and Stephen King, the first novel I ever wrote could easily be considered dark urban fantasy/horror. I wrote a few more in a similar vein, though trending more towards straight urban fantasy, and then even tried writing a couple of Middle Grade novels just to see what it was like. The novel that got me signed with my agent was actually a BIG departure for me, because I finally caved into my love for William Gibson and wrote a futuristic cyberpunk, but it was a BLAST to finally start messing with tech and heists and all that stuff. Now the novel I just finished and sent to my agent is a "Weird Western," in that it takes a lot of horror/super natural elements, but does it in the Old West/Victorian England, and my current WIP might actually be classified as YA urban fantasy, since all the characters are teenager.