• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
As if your post weren't biased enough your avatar seals it. I don't suspect you'll last long with posts like that.
That mentality comes from the things i read. Posts. Articles. Court documents. Etc. I dont understand how people arent a little scepticle knowing he lied under oath, changed his story multiple times, and was seeking a big payout b4 docu. If the avi is too much, let me know...

Oct 25, 2017
And now, an actual argument I saw
"If they're going to pull this, then why won't they pull the episodes with Bill Clinton?! Oh right, they're HYPOCRITES"
Point me to the episode where Bill Clinton provided his voice and was a major focus.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better get the dvd while you can.

Funny thing - this whole thing reminded me I need to get Simpsons S8 and 9 on DVD (already have 1-7 including the episode in question). I went to a local store last night - the only ones left that would still carry such a thing new - and they were cleaned out up to season 18. That definitely was not the case a couple weeks ago. Food for thought.

There's definitely something to be said about both the efficacy and absurdness of cancel culture recently, both broadly and in this context. Of all places, SNL did a couple really interesting explorations of it last night. I have not watched the documentary yet, so I don't feel totally equipped to say what that is in this context, but as someone who remembers the allegations in '93/'94 and knows these accounts have been around for some time, I don't think you automatically become a better person if you cleanse yourself of terrible people's works, and I don't think you're automatically a bad person, defending pedophiles, etc. if you don't.

I certainly respect Brooks's decision and understand it in the moment, but it wouldn't shock me if it comes back in rotation in a couple years, to be honest.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The episode is kind of shit anyway, no big loss. It took half a season more for the Simpsons to get great imo.

Oct 27, 2017
That mentality comes from the things i read. Posts. Articles. Court documents. Etc. I dont understand how people arent a little scepticle knowing he lied under oath, changed his story multiple times, and was seeking a big payout b4 docu. If the avi is too much, let me know...
Was Jordan lying? Was Jimmy lying? Was Michael (the latest kid to come out and say Michael tried to molest him) lying? Were the family members who described all of the grooming lying? Was Michael Jackson himself lying when he asked what was wrong with a grown man sleeping with little boys? What more do you need to see to comprehend that what Jackson did was abuse?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The Reddit threads about this have been hysterical, because people keep crying censorship.

It's just the content owner not wanting to be associated with a pedophile.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Some folks have selective memory when it comes to remembering Season 1 and Season 2 episodes that are legitimately great.

Don't they just.
The Reddit threads about this have been hysterical, because people keep crying censorship.

It's just the content owner not wanting to be associated with a pedophile.
By removing it from distribution they are literally censoring it by definition

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This point is always so stupid:
  • He lied under oath and Michael did abuse him
  • He didn't lie under oath and Michael didn't abuse him
You can't say he lied under oath and then say that Michael didn't abuse him, it makes no sense.

Not that sense is what you're going for since you're out here wearing an avatar and posting to defend someone that groomed and abused children, while showing immense amounts of ignorance about child abuse and it's victims.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with this idea that we need to burn everything touched by a monster, especially when it's something like a TV show where a lot of good, passionate people worked hard to make something great and that thing touched people in a positive way.

Because Michael Jackson did a few lines now the work of a lot of people will be buried.

Get ready to burn almost everything eventually because there's a lot of monsters out there.

Michael is dead. Nothing we choose to do regarding what he worked on will have any impact on him. But it will impact the living who worked with him on things like this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I disagree with this idea that we need to burn everything touched by a monster, especially when it's something like a TV show where a lot of good, passionate people worked hard to make something great and that thing touched people in a positive way.
Creators having control over their work and deciding they're uncomfortable airing some of it isn't this idea though.

Michael is dead. Nothing we choose to do regarding what he worked on will have any impact on him. But it will impact the living who worked with him on things like this.
What about the living that would rather not see a child abuser heralded in a cartoon on TV?

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Some folks have selective memory when it comes to remembering Season 1 and Season 2 episodes that are legitimately great.
Discussions of what made up the "Golden Era" are always weird to me. I remember talking to someone who legitimately said that the Golden Era ONLY consisted of Seasons 5 and 6 and nothing else lived up to them. I get it's all subjective, but it seemed a bit silly to me.

On topic, I do think this is the right decision. Even though it's one of my favorite episodes.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
It is a great episode, but I understand taking it off syndication. Though it should remain on the DVD/digital purchase. (I do not know if they still produce the DVDs or if it is all digital now).
I think you aren't wrong. Reading up on it now is particularly awkward.
Jackson pitched several story ideas, such as Bart telling everyone in town that Jackson was coming to his house. He also requested a scene in which he and Bart write a song together[8]
Jackson was a fan of Bart,[18] and wanted to give Bart a number one-single. He co-wrote the song "Do the Bartman", which was released as a single around the same time that the episode was produced.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Creators having control over their work and deciding they're uncomfortable airing some of it isn't this idea though.

Do you think any person who actually was involved with the writing and animation production of the episode had a say?
What about the living that would rather not see a child abuser heralded in a cartoon on TV?

Context, context context

That was 30 years ago when the world adored him. It's not a new episode that was made today.

Are we just supposed to forget that he was ever a cultural icon? We can't face the pain of knowing we accepted him for many years even after we knew shit was very wrong with him?

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Do you think any person who actually was involved with the writing and animation production of the episode had a say?
Creative products produced by a team still need an owner, obviously.

That said owners decided they didn't feel comfortable airing the episode isn't indicative of this "beginning of the end" of art nonsense you're talking about.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Context, context context

That was 30 years ago when the world adored him. It's not a new episode that was made today.

Are we just supposed to forget that he was ever a cultural icon? We can't face the pain of knowing we accepted him for many years even after we knew shit was very wrong with him?

The context is It's not about airing 30 years ago, it's about airing now and in the future. The producers don't want to do so going forward.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The context is It's not about airing 30 years ago, it's about airing now and in the future. The producers don't want to do so going forward.
Look, i just want to be clear: im not defending Michael Jackson. Im just not sure this "burn it all down" approach is the right way to process the emotional betrayal of having a respected artist exposed for who they really were.

Especially when we already knew who they were this whole time. In many ways we are complicit. I think this type of reaction is more about US not wanting to deal with the fact that we supported them for all that time, that we ever loved anything they made.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Look, i just want to be clear: im not defending Michael Jackson. Im just not sure this "burn it all down" approach is the rifht way to process the emotional betrayal of having a respected artist exposed for who they really were.

So, again, the original creators and current owners of The Simpson's deciding they're not comfortable airing an episode of the show lauding a dead child abuser, is not indicative of this "beginning of the end" of art nonsense you're talking about.

This hang-wringing over some alternative scenario is pointless.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Context, context context

2 years after it aired he was in court tho.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, again, the original creators and current owners of The Simpson's deciding they're not comfortable airing an episode of the show lauding a dead child abuser, is not indicative of this "beginning of the end" of art nonsense you're talking about.

This hang-wringing over some alternative scenario is pointless.
Well, his songs are getting pulled, too.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Look, i just want to be clear: im not defending Michael Jackson. Im just not sure this "burn it all down" approach is the right way to process the emotional betrayal of having a respected artist exposed for who they really were.

Especially when we already knew who they were this whole time. In many ways we are complicit. I think this type of reaction is more about US not wanting to deal with the fact that we supported them for all that time, that we ever loved anything they made.

There's really not any logic to 'the right way' to process it beng continuing to show something that idolizes said person.

Likewise, the celebrity and worship of Jackson isnt some mystery. The conflict of liking his work and reconciling it with this is central to the whole issue. The producers not wanting to air an episode doesn't change that.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Because Michael Jackson did a few lines now the work of a lot of people will be buried.

Get ready to burn almost everything eventually because there's a lot of monsters out there.

Based on the comments read it seems the episode is specifically centric about the performer himself and is a celebration of that, so it's more than just a handful of lines. Personally I can't say, my memory of the episode is hazy.

That aside, I'm pretty mixed on the decision. Pulling it from television rotation, I'm fine with that, those are aimed more for a widespread/general audience and audiences don't have any direct control on what stations or networks can air. I think a content and contextual warning disclaimer would better suited for home video and streaming releases, though; I think such releases necessitate people going out of their way to watch the episode in question.

I think a complete blacklist from their official releases and archives only really makes sense if they're not going to stop anyone interested in the episode itself from watching it through unofficial avenues. Not including it on the official materials, but simultaneously issuing copyright strikes to unofficial re-uploads would be strange in my opinion. If they really don't want anything to do with the episode anymore, I think dropping the copyright and let it lapse into the public domain would be the ideal way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn, I tried to buy Season 3 on Amazon but the seller apparently ran out. Even though I bought it last Friday.
And I can't but it now, it's insanely expensive. Cheapest is $150.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Al Jean went further into it saying that his discomfort came from him feeling as though his Simpson's episode could have been used as part of Michael's grooming process.

What saddens me is, if you watch that documentary—which I did, and several of us here did—and you watch that episode, honestly, it looks like the episode was used by Michael Jackson for something other than what we'd intended it.

"It wasn't just a comedy to him, it was something that was used as a tool. And I strongly believe that."
Source