• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
www.wsj.com

WSJ News Exclusive | Barr Worked to Keep Hunter Biden Probes From Public View During Election

Attorney General William Barr has known about a set of investigations involving Hunter Biden’s business and financial dealings since at least this spring, a person familiar with the matter said, and worked to avoid their public disclosure during the election campaign.

Paywall.

Summary here:

thehill.com

Barr knew about federal probes into Hunter Biden’s financial dealings in spring: WSJ

Attorney General William Barr was aware of federal investigations into President-elect Joe Biden’s son Hunter Biden before the presidential election, and took pains to ensure they were not made pub…

Did Trump know about this? If he didn't, I don't see how Barr makes it through the weekend. Who saw the Barr heel-face turn coming? (jk, he's still a piece of shit).

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Throw him in jail already before he manages to rehabilitate himself on Ellen or Dancing With the Stars.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought Barr would've been fired by now after he said that he didn't see any evidence of election fraud.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Im guessing less about him trying to, like, be honest...as opposed to if any real damaging information was found to turn it immediately over to his boss like the lackey he is.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Barr probably knew if it went public, then there would have been a torrent of leaks about trump investigations going on.

And the Hunter investigation was probably resulting in nothing.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Trump gonna end his presidency without an AG at this point with Barr undermining him on the Hunter Biden thing. That there could have totally handed Trump the election he has already clearly won if it weren't for all that voter fraud that Barr also denied happening.

Why aren't you bending over backwards now Barr? Did something happen to make you reflect on the fact that your legacy is now tied to an orange shitlord? Huh?!

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Barr and his bs, either this was because he wanted to save his own ass knowing which way the wind was seeming to be blowing, or because he didn't want it to blow up in his face and cause more hard looks into how he has acted in office, he is a piece of shit and always will be. Remember before election day no one at all thought trump would even get anywhere near the votes he did, so Barr would be assuming that too and tried to save his own ass in advance.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
93f.jpg

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume Trump won't fire Barr because the latter probably has tons of blackmail shit on his boss, seeing all the strings he pulled these last couple years.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
they are basically trying to set up conflict of interest garbage when biden heaves his ass into the street

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it even matter?

Right wing media already threw the kitchen sink at Hunter Biden, and it just couldn't stick.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
There was a leak a while back that Barr may resign to look better in the public eye.

This screams "planted story designed to make him look better" to me.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He did what he was supposed to do, what Comey should have done in the Hillary Clinton investigation. Shut the fuck up unless/until you charge them.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Remember: hating Donald Trump doesn't make you a good person. Pretty much everyone who has ever worked with him hates him.

I'd be willing to bet that Barr would gladly trade 4-8 years of Democratic rule to get a different Republican president in office.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I tuned in to a different SiriusXM channel today (in Florida) and the host was talking about how it was "interesting" the media is looking into Hunter Biden again, after the election. I left it on for a bit to see where it would go, then changed the channel.

They're already seeing it as "proof" of something and that it could've hurt Biden if it was investigated during the election.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Probably because there was nothing to show or the investigation put Hunter into a better light.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
What a strange character

Probably because there was nothing to show or the investigation put Hunter into a better light.

This might be a plausible explanation. But on the other hand, truth literally does not matter to Trump's base and Barr has had no issue with obfuscating, lying, bullshitting about stuff like this in the past so I don't see why this one would be different. Unless Trump somehow pissed him off.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised by Barr TBH. When he came in I shared the opinion of a lot of experts that ... "Well, it could be worse... at least this guy is from the establishment and he won't challenge norms..." And then he was the exact opposite of that. And the last 2 months has been interesting. The bar (har har) is so low that Bill Barr not trying to disenfranchise voters,Bill Barr not opening baseless investigations into Trump's adversaries, Bill Barr not trying to arrest Joe Biden or Kamala Harris is like ... wow, what a guy welcome to the resistence. So if he transitions back into full attack dog for Trump, I won't be surprised again because there's no consistency. Meanwhile the Justice Dept. is at the lowest it's been in decades.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense given that the kind of nepotism and legalised corruption Biden was accused of is completely endemic and acceptable to both parties. There is no appetite to do anything about it across party lines, and for all intents and purposes the Republican party got all they wanted out of Trump and frankly got off scot-free given that their electoral results were little more than a slap on the wrist after leaving hundreds of thousands to die. So why not hang him out to dry and recoup most of your political losses in a couple of years?

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Barr and allies placing stories now to try and salvage his reputation so he still has a chance for a political career post-Trump

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well for one thing, had he worked to bring this to light during the election, it would have been viewed as a political hit job.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Trump vs the GOP isn't that the GOP isn't full of slimy guys who want to get their hands dirty and do illegal stuff. The problem is Trump is publicly corrupt, which brings attention to the behind the scenes shit that guys like Barr try to do. Same with all this election stuff. A lot of the "saner" GOP members want him to shut up so they can continue to quietly erode the ability of poor and minority adults from voting without bringing all the attention to it that he has.

Guys like Barr want to feign semi-legitness in public so they can manuever their shady shit in the shadows.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
What. The. Fuck. LMAO

This makes absolutely no sense. NONE.
It actually does. Barr has a very specific, well known belief system about the Executive branch and Executive powers, but those beliefs apply to the office, not the person in it.

Back in January, Barr put a gag order and halt on any federal investigation that could impact the election in any way. This was a major news story when it was leaked because back then, we were going through impeachment proceedings. At the time, we all assumed this was to put a stop to any Trump or Trump-connected investigations, but he literally meant *any* investigation.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
yes ... also like how can you read the three sentences prior to that and not tell it's sarcasm. "the bar is so low that *not* arresting your political opponents is, like, 'wow welcome to the resistence.'" hahahaha cmon now
Times are weird, my friend. I work for the state government and my world has been upside down since COVID and protests began.

People say "resistance" way too often in a sincere and naive way here in Texas. More than a few people here who think the slightly opposition to Trump redeems the GOP, and that Barr, for instance, would be acting out of some love of democracy and decency.