• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Chat startup Discord Inc. has halted talks to sell itself to potential suitors including Microsoft Corp., according to people familiar with the matter, as it resumes interest in a potential initial public offering down the line.

Microsoft had been in advanced talks to acquire Discord for at least $10 billion, The Wall Street Journal reported last month. Those talks ended without a deal, though it is possible they could be rekindled in the future, some of the people said.

www.wsj.com

WSJ News Exclusive | Discord Ends Deal Talks With Microsoft

The chat startup has decided to remain independent as it resumes interest in a potential initial public offering.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Now we gotta see how they are gonna find a way to turn a profit for shareholders 😩😩😩

Discord is in a good place now, but if they go public, investors and stockholders are gonna start expecting things

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm

" Those talks ended without a deal, though it is possible they could be rekindled in the future, some of the people said. "

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I was hoping for a buyout from MS. At least that left a chance for Discord not needing to be directly monetized.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for them to go public and start to throw ads and put video share and audio quality behind a paywall.

/s

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Probably better for those in charge of Discord to go public instead, but I kind of fear about the changes that would be made by a Discord that's a public company, as that would likely mean they'd want to start actually being profitable and developing a sustainable business model, which has a definite chance to end poorly for the general userbase.

I'm not gonna pretend that Microsoft was the best choice for Discord or anything like that, but I at least had hope that if they got bought out by someone who could integrate Discord tech into their existing services that Discord could go mostly unchanged for the end user

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Let's play a game.

"Well, we had this money earmarked for Discord, but now we'll just put it towards ___________"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna assume that Discord know what they're doing in terms of monetisation/going public if they're happily turning down a $10B offer. They obviously think they can raise more money doing it the other way.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
"A delayed going public is eventually good, but a rushed going public is forever bad."

- Shigeru Miyamoto

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can see it going public and some basic free features that we takes as granted right now going behind a paywall, which is what probably will happen.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch for Microsoft. First no Square Enix and now no Discord. Looks like the acquisition train has slowed to a crawl.
😂

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna assume that Discord know what they're doing in terms of monetisation/going public if they're happily turning down a $10B offer. They obviously think they can raise more money doing it the other way.

Not really. There aren't many paths for monetization. Its either ads, subs or sell your data.

For users of discord, going public is probably not a great option. They don't sell nearly enough Nitro to survive as a public company. Most of discords features will likely go behind a subwall which will nail the community. So they will cover it with ads or sell your data.

The monetization on this one will be ugly.