• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hirokazu Hamamura, chief executive of Japanese videogame-magazine publisher Gzbrain Inc. (Famitsu and others) said some big games may not come until 2019 because publishers didn't expect the Switch to do so well and got a late start.

Capcom Co. , a software publisher famous for the "Resident Evil" and "Monster Hunter" franchises, has released for the Switch only some older titles that it had released to other game consoles. A company spokeswoman said that is normal procedure for third-party software developers because there isn't enough time to make new games for a console within a year of its launch.

"We bet big on the Switch as a game changer so we began making games before the Switch's launch, but many software companies showed reluctance in releasing Switch games before they witnessed the current success," said Yoichi Erikawa, chief executive of game company Koei Tecmo Holdings Co. , at a news conference last week.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-raises-expectation-for-switch-console-sales-1509349227

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo themselves just say otherwise? That they had some big shit lined up?

QuantumBro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only Capcom had a finished action RPG for Switch that just needs to be localized for the West.

Oct 25, 2017
They all bitches. And bitches get stitches. Takahashi wants to have a word.

cfe217b57eb035ec5b5f372a727a2ea98abce70d.jpg

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even going into March a lot of people were still not sold on the console. The initial reveal was good, but I remember everyone feeling very shaky after the January Conference.

Imagine an alternate world where Zelda wasn't there for launch and all they had was 1-2-Switch. I'd imagine the Switch wouldn't have been as successful as it currently is. Zelda alone has done some massive heavy lifting on that console.

I feel most companies should have something prepared just in case. Nintendo launches always are coin flips though. Sometimes you have bad launches like 3DS and Wii U, sometimes you have good ones like the Wii and the DS.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sad truth, im still trying to get money for a Switch but im happy for its deserved sucess, Nintendo is tapping a new market, it just needs to get away from some old practices. Im surviving with my WiiU.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt he the same guy who said Dq11 with outsell Pokemon S/M, FFXV combined and MH World will sell over 10 million copies?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not too surprised, After the flop of the Wii U it makes sense that publishers in Japan would be wary about the Switch. It's just a shame that they were as the Switch is booming right now and would really benefit from a larger Japanese presence.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I understand that games are not made in a day, but are you seriously telling me Capcom couldn't event port legacy collection 2 or disney or even okami??
That's just horrible planning, even if the switch was a failure

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprised, After the flop of the Wii U it makes sense that publishers in Japan would be wary about the Switch. It's just a shame that they were as the Switch is booming right now and would really benefit from a larger Japanese presence.
But the 3DS was a success, as all Nintendo handhelds have been. The Switch is physically still a handheld device despite it's function.

Yep.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd imagine some publishers had planned Switch development starting this year and we wouldn't see it release in at least 2 to 3 years. We might see what they have planned to release in those 2 to 3 years starting in 2018.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Congrats to the folks who took a risk on the Switch. My guess is that it's also given a lot of smaller publishers and developers (Inti Creates, etc) a very strong following out of those early adopters whereas some of these pubs are going to be playing catchup.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If only Capcom had a finished action RPG for Switch that just needs to be localized for the West.

Wasn't there an interview from a Russian site that more or less implied XX is being localized?

It was the same interview that outed Monster Hunter World's area count, and that bit was redacted, so this may be legit...

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
But the 3DS was a success, as all Nintendo handhelds have been. The Switch is physically still a handheld device despite it's function.

Yup but hind sight is 20/20 up until the switches launch people were extremely skeptical of the switch not even just on forums or social media even the CEO of Gamefreak Tsunekazu Ishihara didn't think the switch would sell.
http://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...tch-wouldnt-be-successful-before-it-launched/
Edit messed that up sorry

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not very surprised to be honest. Many people still had doubts about it right up until it launched and even shortly after.

Now these publishers scramble around for anything they can put on the switch.

That said, it seems that not too many publishers came as unprepared as, say capcom so I'm sure Switch owners can sit out one year without something substantial from them.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did publishers just feel the portable market was completly dead or something?

The 3DS still sold multi millions so it's not as if the market completly cratered and there was no market for a new handheld.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
They all bitches. And bitches get stitches. Takahashi wants to have a word.

cfe217b57eb035ec5b5f372a727a2ea98abce70d.jpg
Yeah, uh, because we wouldn't want them to have an open wound like that! It might keep them from porting over games!
tumblr_oynqw6AoWh1vl86ajo1_250.png

But I'm not really surprised by the developer reaction either. Everyone with experience around Nintendo was getting leery at the Switch right up until it did completely fine.

But more concrete statements on a pipeline shift from some devs might be nice.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm curious to see what Konami's next big move with Switch is.

Super Bomberman R sold very well for Switch.