• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
It's a real shame - I guess I'll just have to play Wolfenstein, Doom, and Skyrim (again!) until more third parties come in...

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that battery tech is terribly stagnant and the Switch's battery takes up like half it's innards and three quarters of it's height. There's not much room or opportunity to actually shrink the thing down, the alternative would be shortening battery life and that just isn't reasonable with how few hours it already gets.
Ehh? There pocketable phones with batteries over twice the capacity of Switch and 5 inch thin ones with the same capacity,.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh? There pocketable phones with batteries over twice the capacity of Switch

Are you serious, or are you just talking for the sake of talking?

Twice the capacity =/= twice the battery life.

There are not many mobile devices are also carrying 4,310 mAh and above batteries, and none of these devices have the power draw of a NSW or are used as a gaming device for almost constant use. I can only find TWO phones with battery sizes above 4,310 mAh, and I never seen a 8,620 mAh mass market mobile device battery before.

That 10,000 mAh battery novelty phone from China doesn't count, that thing takes forever to charge

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you serious, or are you just talking for the sake of talking?

Twice the capacity =/= twice the battery life.

There are not many mobile devices are also carrying 4,310 mAh and above batteries, and none of these devices have the power draw of a NSW or are used as a gaming device for almost constant use. I can only find TWO phones with battery sizes above 4,310 mAh, and I never seen a 8,620 mAh mobile device battery before.
What does it have to do with the size of the device though? Battery tech is the same.4000 mAh batteries are tiny, easily fittable into handheld format. Yes, mobile devices have different battery usage and power draw, but that difference comes from other parts of the device, not from battery itself, right?. And unlike battieries, the rest of mobile tech is advancing pretty fast, so further shrinkage should be possible, unlike with batteries. Or are you saying that Switch battery is somehow unqiue that 4,310 mAh capacity gives more charge than the same capacity on typical phone battery. And I'm really asking, not being an ass here :) I looked it up and it seems Nintendo contracted the battery to company that specialized in phone batteries and supplied note7 for example, so at first glance it doesn't seen like there's anything unique in the battery itself.

And Oukitel K10000 has 10000 mAH battery

Last edited:

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or are you saying that Switch battery is somehow unqiue that 4,310 mAh capacity gives more charge than the same capacity on typical phonme battery

Nice stealth insult. Because somehow you assume I am dumb enough to not know the laws of physics or numbers. That is not what I mean.

What does it have to do with the size of the device though? Battery tech is the same.4000 mAh batteries are tiny, easily fittable into handheld format. Yes, mobile devices have different battery usage and power draw, but that difference comes from other parts of the device, not from battery itself, right?. And unlike battieries, the rest of mobile tech is advancing pretty fast, so further shrinkage should be possible, unlike with batteries.

The Tegra line is what powers the switch, and it is NOT a smartphone processor. It is meant for Tablets and self-driving cars. The form factor is fixed from a mass production standpoint (i.e the motherboard it is on). There are also not many smartphone processors that matches it in performance. Mobile phone boards do not require the option for cooling or have plan around heat dissipation at high performance scenarios, unlike the Switch. This is why your phone heats up like mad when you stress it with a demanding task for a prolonged period of time.

Even if the Tegra improves to the point where a fan is not needed for the same performance (doubtful, as heat dissipation has always been a problem for mobile chipsets in high-performance, prolonged-use scenarios), the form factor is unlikely the change due to the mass production nature of the board. Nintendo moved away from almost all custom solutions for their devices after being burned bad from the Wii U (the Switch is basically not modified at all, most people who opened it up was surprised that it is a standard X1, as they expected Nintendo modifications to it)

A hypothetical Switch Mini would require a custom board design, of which Nvidia might not produce enough to drive cost down, which means more expensive device. This alone makes it unlikely to happen, as that will make it a undesirable product line (a more expensive SWITCH that cannot "switch").

If you opened up a Switch, you will realize that there is limited space for anything else. Everything is essential and the remaining space is battery.

So it follows that If Nintendo is to keep the standard board design, the only place to axe is the battery. This is why the all talk since reveal is focused on the battery for miniaturization. The battery is the simplest to resize and reshape as a standard component available in many shapes and sizes. It is also much cheaper than ordering a custom board. It is (and still is) the place mobile device makers will touch if they want to shrink something even more.

The 10,000 mAh phone is also frickin THICK and even heavier than the Switch. It is almost ALL battery. Its not a mobile phone, its literally a battery that happens to have phone functions.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice stealth insult. Because somehow you assume I am dumb enough to not know the laws of physics or numbers. That is not what I mean.
No, but I sure do wonder now if you enjoy looking for opportunities to feel offended. Because I edited my post almost half an hour before your reply to make it clear I'm really asking about the battery tech instead of just being as ass :)

And I really don't know much about Switch innards, I was just replying to Coricus' post, which stated battery tech was the obstacle in shrinkage. Since you obviously know more about the chips inside the console you should have included that in your first post.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I sure do wonder now if you enjoy looking for opportunities to feel offended. Because I edited my post almost half an hour before your reply to make it clear I'm really asking about the battery tech instead of just being as ass :)

And I really don't know much about Switch innards, I was just replying to Coricus' post, which stated battery tech was the obstacle in shrinkage. Since you obviously know more about the chips inside the console you should have included that in your first post.

I assume you knew about the innards of the Switch and the outlines of the miniaturization debate, since you raised the issue. Battery tech is indeed the obstacle in shrinkage due to the poor economic case of changing everything else.

Of course, Ninty can burn money for a custom solution to shrink the device without touching the battery, but that will not be in line with the design philosophy behind the Switch..

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume you knew about the innards of the Switch and the outlines of the miniaturization debate, since you raised the issue. Battery tech is indeed the obstacle in shrinkage due to the poor economic case of changing everything else.

Of course, Ninty can burn money for a custom solution to shrink the device without touching the battery, but that will not be in line with the design philosophy behind the Switch..
So, in other words, real handheld Switch is unlikely. :( And with it's doing so well I don't think Nintendo will make separate handheld that's not compatibile with it. So bassicaly 3DS and Vita are the last true handhelds. Kind of sad, especially since that death is such a non-event.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm curious to see what Konami's next big move with Switch is.

Super Bomberman R sold very well for Switch.
I hope they'll have a Switch version of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 and PES next year. Besides that, maybe they'll revive another Hudson IP? After the success of Super Bomberman R and the 3DS Momotarou Dentetsu game (although that was licensed to Nintendo), I could see that happening.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Virtual pachinkos. Played in vertical Switch mode, fueled with microtransactions. The future of entertainment!!!

Those silly western publishers with their lootboxes, Konami is already three steps ahead!!!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Its okay Capcom, I can wait till 2019 for REmake 2.

I do wonder how third parties are approaching the Switch now; at this point in time; Activision for example doesn't have anything for the system after Skylanders crumbled. EA is a big what if with FIFA and that smaller title. Ubisoft said more stuff is coming, but they've been silent. 2K is mostly sportgames.

Japanese third parties seem slow too. Sega only has Sonic, Bamco is slowly adding more stuff...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually quite mind boggling.

I wonder what's the thinking over that on Bethesda so that they gave such a support to Nintendo, especially after none of their major games AFAIK has ever appeared on a Nintendo major console before...?

I'm sure Nintendo approached them, like they did others. Bethesda just happened to start porting games over, rather then take a wait and see approach.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also, koei tecmo shits out musou clones in like 5 days. i swear they have a musou clone generator.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo themselves just say otherwise? That they had some big shit lined up?

Not 'big' shit especially but definitely a lot of stuff.
2018 is currently looking like

Lost Sphere
Octopath Traveller
No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back
Blazblue Cross Tag
Wolfenstein 2
Inazuma Eleven
Attack on Titan 2
Morphies Law
Battle Chasers: Night War
Dragon: Marked For Death
Fe
Phantasy Star Online 2: Cloud
Hollow
Fire Emblem main
Steins;Gate Elite
Shin Megami Tensei 5
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi
Bloodstained
Dragon Quest 11
Dragon Quest Builders 2

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
A hypothetical Switch Mini would require a custom board design, of which Nvidia might not produce enough to drive cost down, which means more expensive device. This alone makes it unlikely to happen, as that will make it a undesirable product line (a more expensive SWITCH that cannot "switch").

If you opened up a Switch, you will realize that there is limited space for anything else. Everything is essential and the remaining space is battery.

So it follows that If Nintendo is to keep the standard board design, the only place to axe is the battery. This is why the all talk since reveal is focused on the battery for miniaturization. The battery is the simplest to resize and reshape as a standard component available in many shapes and sizes. It is also much cheaper than ordering a custom board. It is (and still is) the place mobile device makers will touch if they want to shrink something even more.

But what about the X2 ? Isn't it supposed to be much more energy efficient, and actually not more expensive to produce? In such a case, they can remove the necessity for a fan, and the way is open for a switch mini with the same battery capacity (and better battery life), no?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So, in other words, real handheld Switch is unlikely. :( And with it's doing so well I don't think Nintendo will make separate handheld that's not compatibile with it. So bassicaly 3DS and Vita are the last true handhelds. Kind of sad, especially since that death is such a non-event.
How do you define a handheld? I can hold my Switch in my hands, for hours, I can play it standing up, sitting down, leaning against a wall, and laying down, it goes into my bag and has a battery so it is portable. Is it the size? The 3DSLL and Vita weren't really comfortable fitting in a pocket, I would rather put them in my bag and if the only other option was to leave them at home I would do that. I guess it is hard for me to understand the problem since I bring my bag with me if I go further than the vending machine a block from my home.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I do wonder how third parties are approaching the Switch now; at this point in time; Activision for example doesn't have anything for the system after Skylanders crumbled. EA is a big what if with FIFA and that smaller title. Ubisoft said more stuff is coming, but they've been silent. 2K is mostly sportgames.

Japanese third parties seem slow too. Sega only has Sonic, Bamco is slowly adding more stuff...

Sega also has Shin Megami Tensei. One of the only exclusives from a third party.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what about the X2 ? Isn't it supposed to be much more energy efficient, and actually not more expensive to produce? In such a case, they can remove the necessity for a fan, and the way is open for a switch mini with the same battery capacity (and better battery life), no?

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/GLtqLoCBIGYkS4kJ.large

Might be hard to jiggle the space, due to how tightly packed everything is. One disadvantage is that once you figure out the optimal way to maximize space for existing pieces, you can't change the size of one thing and still hope to pack else in without big changes. You can see the fan and the battery there.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I hope we get less of a Wii situation where publishers make a dumbed down version of a game to sell for full price and actually bother to innovate.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you define a handheld? I can hold my Switch in my hands, for hours, I can play it standing up, sitting down, leaning against a wall, and laying down, it goes into my bag and has a battery so it is portable. Is it the size? The 3DSLL and Vita weren't really comfortable fitting in a pocket, I would rather put them in my bag and if the only other option was to leave them at home I would do that. I guess it is hard for me to understand the problem since I bring my bag with me if I go further than the vending machine a block from my home.
It's big, has too short battery life and the handheld mode is already providing limited as evident with Mario Odyssey. It's a hybrid device, not pure handheld. Not that it can't function well in similiar capacity, but it still feels like an end of an era of handhelds.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Ubisoft has announced that No Man's Skylanders game for Fall 2018.
Activision and EA are very uncertain yeah...
Japanese third-parties are slow, but Sega has been a good supporter with Sonic, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Atlus support.
It's still a bit slow, but it'll come.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
The key word here is some. Good news is that there will be big games to hold us over till the "big 2019 games" get here! ^_^

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft has announced that No Man's Skylanders game for Fall 2018.
Activision and EA are very uncertain yeah...
Japanese third-parties are slow, but Sega has been a good supporter with Sonic, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Atlus support.
It's still a bit slow, but it'll come.

I wouldn't bet on anything from EA or Activision's console side, or even Ubi unless it is a friendship project/port for Ninty

The advantage of AAA 3P (and Sony's own western studios) is that they very high production values due to the money they throw at the games they make. The Switch, along with any under-powered hardware, does not play to that advantage. If you drag the GFX level of EA, Activision to the level of a Japanese developer (aka their games don't look FAR FAR better), their competitive advantage shrinks (it will be gameplay vs gameplay).

The low spec machine is anathema to the strengths of these companies, so it follows they wouldn't be bothered to support it (and probably hope it dies for gamer market consolidation).

HPH

Oct 25, 2017

Now I'm thinking that the DLC characters in Super Bomberman R could be a sign of future titles for the respective series they represent. So it could be Castlevania, Gradius, Silent Hill, Zone of the Enders and Rumble Roses. Too bad the Zone of the Enders game isn't coming to Switch, at least yet. What I really want to see is Konami porting all the previous Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill titles, like Capcom did with RE titles for Gamecube. Thats a pipe dream though :P

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The thing is major Western 3rd parties still won't bring the games even after witnessing the success. I've just watched Codemasters Onrush trailer and saw that there was no Switch logo at the end.

A lot of companies will still choose to ignore Nintendo no matter how well the Switch does.