• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
In a way this is kind of exciting. It means we get some stellar last minute ports in 2018, as well as a steady AAA lineup between now and at least 2022.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Publishers caught with their pants down will simply continue porting old games in the meantime. I don't think anyone is going to miss out provided they don't drag their feet.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Hey. Mine is on Layaway. I've been playing the crap out of Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Im finishing BoTw, then its Bayo 1, then its Xenoblade Chronicles 1, i think X may come after i go through the Prime trilogy. Strangely i got my WiiU this year for BotW, instead of a Switch, i was like: look at this HUGE backlog of gems, no need to use all this cash for a Switch yet. I mean WiiU has The Wonderful 101, im good for now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you need some stitches. Ever been confronted by a dead man?

gKjl9gn.jpg

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Ninty has some first party titles ready for next year. It is easy to guess that Metroid and Pokemon is 19/20, but we might get more WiiU ports next year. I skipped the WiiU, so I'd be up for trying out Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't blame them, I mean no one really saw this coming. There isn't much of an excuse for some of the more abysmal support, but I think you'd be crazy not to be cautious after the Wii U.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
We've known this for a while, haven't we? There arent many publishers who were going to support Switch out the gate and the ones that have thus far didn't do it with software that's really notable or had any type of big R&D behind it. I see a lot of posters trying to throw these companies under the bus but I bet if they were in that position they wouldnt have supported Switch out the gate either.

Not after the Wii U
Not after the way Nintendo's marketshare diminished this gen
Not after the years of a lot of 3rd party software selling poorly on their platform.

Congrats to those few publisher who have been there and are reaping some benefits but you all have to realize that some of these companies arent satisfied with Bomberman R type numbers so I guess its gonna be interesting to see who tries to go all in and who decides to just put smaller games to test the waters. A win for Nintendo fans who like 3rd party games regardless though...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They probably do, it's some third parties that were caught with their pants down.
Yeah. Just as the quote reads, Koei Tecmo was all on-board with the Switch from the start, between Fire Emblem Warriors, Nights of Azure 2 and other games that they already have planned, whether their ports or new titles.

Capcom has...a remaster of Street Fighter II, an RE Revelations compilation, and a Monster Hunter they refuse to localize, just because, apparently.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could potentially carry Switch by themselves in 2018 if they invest heavily in accelerating development on some games. Potential releases, might be forgetting some (some confirmed in development, some assumptions):

Smash Bros 5
Metroid Prime 4
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
Retro's game
Mario Maker
Pokemon
Kirby
Yoshi

If 5 or 6 of those games came out and they keep up the indie barrage I think that would be enough to carry the system while 3rd parties catch up.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they talk about reviving old IPs or something along those lines? Maybe gradius, castlevania or goemon, Who knows?

I'd love the remake of the 3d Goemon on N64. It was a cute game with a great OST.

edit - and as I said earlier today, if Capcom would just release the Ace Attorney games that have not made it yet to stateside for Switch... that'd be so great. /sigh

Oct 28, 2017
It's Castlevania. Either a remake of 3 or something original with the tv show characters. Probably contracted out to someone, like Good Feel or Inti-Creates.
I really loved what Inti Creates did with Blaster Master, so I would be thrilled if they were given the reigns for a new Castlevania.

Also, to respond to everyone saying that companies had were rightfully skittish with Switch after the debacle that was the WiiU -- you're absolutely right. However, given the trajectory of Switch sales/marketshare since launch, coupled with the fact that there'll no longer be a 3DS to support in the very near future, more major companies should be at least announcing upcoming games if not releasing them. Which is why it's pretty irritating to see companies like Capcom, when faced with questions about why their output on the console has been minimal thus far, respond with, "...we just didn't expect it!" Like, okay, we get that, but now it's here and it's doing gangbusters so put your money where your mouth is and give us some games.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to think Bethesda is the dev that's getting a head start on the console.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could potentially carry Switch by themselves in 2018 if they invest heavily in accelerating development on some games. Potential releases, might be forgetting some (some confirmed in development, some assumptions):

Smash Bros 5
Metroid Prime 4
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
Retro's game
Mario Maker
Pokemon
Kirby
Yoshi

If 5 or 6 of those games came out and they keep up the indie barrage I think that would be enough to carry the system while 3rd parties catch up.

Even for the confirmed announced games, are those all supposed to be 2018? Metroid Prime 4 in particular had literally zero footage. For Pokemon too, there hasn't even been a trailer, and they said 2018 was the earliest that game could be out. Aside from Kirby and Yoshi, the rest are either formless, TBA, or completely unannounced.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu boss also thinks MonHun World 10 million. I be shocked if it reaches that number WW, and he is delusional if JP only.

I think it is no surprise coming off the Wii U though. Most Japanese 3P are pretty conservative these days. Chasing western market is as conservative as it gets and NSW was pegged to be a a Japan only hit at best back then.

Even for the confirmed announced games, are those all supposed to be 2018? Metroid Prime 4 in particular had literally zero footage. For Pokemon too, there hasn't even been a trailer, and they said 2018 was the earliest that game could be out. Aside from Kirby and Yoshi, the rest are either formless, TBA, or completely unannounced.

That is if you assume they announced all of their 2018 titles already.

Which can be true, but is not a reasonable assumption.

If we look at EDP thread, there are multiple teams whose projects are unknown at the moment.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Everything is formless until it's announced and releases 6 months later. :P If it's not one of those it can easily be a different or new IP.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I shake my head every time I hear major third party support is coming back to a Nintendo console. However, now that the Switch, and its predecessors, will be replacing handhelds I see a good chance of this actually happening.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
While I think Prime is unlikely, it's not like Nintendo didn't just release a major game that only a year ago was a few seconds of a console preview video with no title. Nintendo can hold their cards close to their chest when they want.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its not surprising. Wii fizzled out, Wii U was a disaster and the hybrid rumors seemed to scare people, if anything.

Its probably why Nintendo doubled down on first party anyways, not just to create a worthwhile library right away but to give third parties a chance to catch up and get their shot at selling software when Nintendo is done with their first party onslaught

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the 3DS was a success, as all Nintendo handhelds have been. The Switch is physically still a handheld device despite it's function.

Yep.
Do we really expected Nintendo not to make direct 3DS successful and just stick with Switch?

Plus 3ds games were cheap to make. Switch might be underpowered, but making games for it is still far more expensive, do there's bigger risk

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Do we really expected Nintendo not to make direct 3DS successful and just stick with Switch?

Plus 3ds games were cheap to make. Switch might be underpowered, but making games for it is still far more expensive, do there's bigger risk

If all of Nintendo's franchises and Pokémon have moved to switch, there is no room for a 3DS successor.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please Nintendo, fill the gap with N64 and Gamecube Virtual Console, and lots of Wii/Wii-u ports!

These would all be amazing given the form factor.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, most people don't expect a 3DS successor.

Pokemon Company balked hard at the Switch prior to it taking off. They wouldn't be bringing a mainline game unless there was literally nowhere else to go.

There's a reason Nintendo's stated current philosophy is focusing in on big sellers. They're making phones and Classic boxes their alternative baskets to keep a few eggs in and pumping the majority of their games onto the Switch and the Switch alone.

The priciness and single console strategy likely contributed to everyone being nervous, but that doesn't mean that isn't exactly what they're doing. Making everything about this work requires them to charge in headfirst and commit, and all signs point to that being exactly what was done.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better make up for it by having an expansive VC library for 2018

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not surprising. Wii fizzled out, Wii U was a disaster and the hybrid rumors seemed to scare people, if anything.

Its probably why Nintendo doubled down on first party anyways, not just to create a worthwhile library right away but to give third parties a chance to catch up and get their shot at selling software when Nintendo is done with their first party onslaught
It's also all they had, they needed to do something and they have ignored third parties. It's good the switch is a success but I'm still interested in the releases for next year and if it will any software droughts because of third parties being wary. I'm not expecting Pokémon or Metroid until late next year or 2019.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is way to big to become real replacement for 3DS though, so I guess Nintendo just gave up on handheld market and resigned to mobile completely taking over that space? Which kind of makes sense seeing their increased investenmt into mobile and the success they had in that market.

It still seems like a wasted opportunity though. It's not like they simply have to create separate system. Just wait for tech to get cheaper and smaller and just create 3DS-sized Switch-mini in few years, compatibile with all the same games, just smaller.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Switch is way to big to become real replacement for 3DS though, so I guess Nintendo just gave up on handheld market and resigned to mobile completely taking over that space? Which kind of makes sense seeing their increased investenmt into mobile and the success they had in that market.

It still seems like a wasted opportunity though. It's not like they simply have to create separate system. Just wait for tech to get cheaper and smaller and just create 3DS-sized Switch-mini in few years, compatibile with all the same games, just smaller.
I know many who like to say that the device would be more successful if it were really 'portable' i.e. able to fit in a pocket, however sales of past handhelds, phones included have leaned strongly towards bigger is better. In Japan the 'problem' of not fitting into a pocket is effectively nil, as everyone starting from age 4 carries bags big enough to bring the switch.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know many who like to say that the device would be more successful if it were really 'portable' i.e. able to fit in a pocket, however sales of past handhelds, phones included have leaned strongly towards bigger is better. In Japan the 'problem' of not fitting into a pocket is effectively nil, as everyone starting from age 4 carries bags big enough to bring the switch.
Well, mobile companies do make devices of various size. from smaller phones to tablets. No reason why Nintendo should stick to one Switch size.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Well, mobile companies do make devices of various size. from smaller phones to tablets. No reason why Nintendo should stick to one Switch size.
The problem is that battery tech is terribly stagnant and the Switch's battery takes up like half it's innards and three quarters of it's height. There's not much room or opportunity to actually shrink the thing down, the alternative would be shortening battery life and that just isn't reasonable with how few hours it already gets.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The problem is that battery tech is terribly stagnant and the Switch's battery takes up like half it's innards and three quarters of it's height. There's not much room or opportunity to actually shrink the thing down, the alternative would be shortening battery life and that just isn't reasonable with how few hours it already gets.

There are a lot of problems with making it smaller, as you mentioned battery, as well as heat dissipation, joy-con compatibility, screen size for tabletop mode, etc. I'm not going to go as far to say that Nintendo won't make a different sized revision, but I suspect that they will opt for a larger screen rather than a smaller pocket sized console.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Big Games that I think are 2019+:

Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon
Monster Hunter World Portable (I really think this will happen down the line)
Smash 5

Games that might be 2018 or 2019
Retros game
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Pikmin 4
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem (to this is happening)
Virtual Console

Solid stream of Indies too, unlike WiiU.

I have no doubt Nintendo will release some thing each month, but we're not getting the big ones like we got in 2017. Savor it while we have it. 2019 could be huge though. I expect Zelda and Mario teams might be ready since it was rumored this years games were sat on for months.