• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the China Super Camera thread, but someone suggest I spin this off into its own thing for discussion:

A growing number of classrooms in China are equipped with artificial-intelligence cameras and brain-wave trackers. While many parents and teachers see them as tools to improve grades, they've become some children's worst nightmare.

Wall Street Journal peek into a pilot program for actively monitoring children's brain waves, location via uniform, health & attention levels etc during schooling. Sends real time data of all kids (10min intervals) to teacher and to parent groups.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
That sounds like delightful hell for all those students. Zone out for a minute and the computer system is going to be alerting everyone so the teacher can discipline you immediately and your parents can beat you when you get home.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
a70tzvD.gif

I don't have/have not yet found a picture that adequately captures my dismay at the level of micromanagement fuckery on display here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dear Black Mirror writers,

I don't know how you became policy makers in China, but plz stop.

Thank you.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
You would think that at some point the Chinese people would say enough.......... but after a certain point of technological development even that neurological act of free will could be supressed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So having watched the video in full, a few things became clear:

1. The mechanism via which data is being obtained is not error proof

2. However, regardless of that, it acts as a placebo for the students

3. Parents don't much care for where the data ends up

4. Every aspect of school life is surveilled and programs have been/are being implemented as parts of experiments and not tried and true methods to boost individuals' efficiencies.

5. All of it feeds into and towards the creation of more sophisticated AI.

In short, this is in an effort to create an omni-present AI entity for governance pertaining to multiple facets of life. Insofar as data gathering is concerned, it is the God whose proof of existence is evident.

Preceding the AI, the rest of it reminds of:

Equilibrium-crop.jpg

OP
OP
formasymphonic
Oct 27, 2017
You would think that at some point the Chinese people would say enough.......... but after a certain point of technological development even that neurological act of free will could be supressed.
I hate to be all illuminati tin foil hat, but it would surprise me if all large governments (superpower-esque) didn't have some department that has research on population control. The Chinese government just seems to be more nakedly obvious in their actions instead of it being clandestine.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be all illuminati tin foil hat, but it would surprise me if all large governments (superpower-esque) didn't have some department that has research on population control. The Chinese government just seems to be more nakedly obvious in their actions instead of it being clandestine.

The US had MK Ultra back in the day.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This is like something from the stories of vault-tec. What's the next experiment China's going to try replacing brains?

May 21, 2018
I'm just wondering what the Chinese government's end goal is here. Is it to create an entire nation of slaves/robots devoid of the ability to express their own free will? So that the party leaders can live in Elysium style luxurious paradise bubbles for generations while an entire nation of slaves does all of their bidding? How do they expect to export culture if their people have no will to create culture with?

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Wonder how this works for students with ADHD or other learning disorders. If I got punished or something every time I spaced out I'd do anything not to have to go to school.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just wondering what the Chinese government's end goal is here. Is it to create an entire nation of slaves/robots devoid of the ability to express their own free will? So that the party leaders can live in Elysium style luxurious paradise bubbles for generations while an entire nation of slaves does all of their bidding? How do they expect to export culture if their people have no will to create culture with?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done. Between watching some far right Chilean cunts spouting hate, calling poor people lazy and parasites and now this shit, I think I'm done.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing motivates children more than overbearing micromanagement.

(I could potentially see value in something like this if teachers got an anonymized average that helped tell them what kind of content and scheduling worked best to keep kids interested and most engaged.)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
China isn't that interested in exporting culture outside of keeping influence over the diaspora and maintaining domestic stability.

The endgame is a maximally efficient system. If you're familiar with the Chinese education system, this is a natural evolution of their tech.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing motivates children more than overbearing micromanagement.

(I could potentially see value in something like this if teachers got an anonymized average that helped tell them what kind of content and scheduling worked best to keep kids interested and most engaged.)

I also think it would be fine on an individual basis if the model for education was more about developing people as individuals than enforcing compliance. Observing tonic EEG activity while engaging in different kinds of attention could be really pedagogically useful or interesting, if the motivation weren't just to instrumentalize people.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
When god didnt exist we made ourselves gods. That's some freaky shit honestly

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Those headbands look goofy as heck. Who knows if the data it collects is even reliable? Some child is probably being punished for nothing.

If this takes off, I guarantee there'll be millions of kids with a ring of contact dermatitis circling their forehead. Rashes, they happen.