• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Asked this in OT thread for Switch but got drowned out. This is related, especially with game sizes potentially going towards 64gb:

Any downside to being all digital from SD cards?

Any issues with speed differences between different SD cards and/or cartridges? Would I be safe with the following:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073JY5T7T/ - Sandisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC UHS-I card

EDIT - Oh, and quick question - can I use my Apple USB-C cable and power charger from my MacBook with the Switch?
Based on Digital Foundry tests close to launch: https://youtu.be/vbItTEmozxw?t=196
Cartridges Game cards are the slowest for loading times. Slower than SD cards, slower than built-in internal storage (which is the fastest)
The differences between Sandisk "Ultra" and Sandisk "Extreme" were minimal.
So going with the SD card you listed would probably work well (faster than game card).

For the charger question, based on this thread of recommendations : https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6jnkl4/list_of_recommended_switch_usbc_chargers/
It looks like the macBook chargers are in the "Great but expensive" category.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Expensive and slow, Vita flashbacks

Tbf though digital is strongly preferred anyways with a handheld

Last edited:

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that many of the comments are basically why the hell do we need that much space or thank you Nintendo for sparing us the cost of a 64GB cart by not having having them ready for your console that has now been on the market for a year or so.

Sort of shocked they did not heavily invest into whatever technology that goes into creating these these things to bring costs down. And what did they expect? File sizes to go down?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would pubs even use them if they were available? Half on card half DL seems the trend.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Why? I mean, no publisher would ever use it besides Nintendo itself, they'd rather print a cheaper one and make the consumer download the rest of the game.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I love that many of the comments are basically why the hell do we need that much space or thank you Nintendo for sparing us the cost of a 64GB cart by not having having them ready for your console that has now been on the market for a year or so.
I haven't followed the thread closely, but:
1. "why the hell do we need that much space" would probably be said by people who buy only Nintendo games. Based on what we have seen so far, I seriously doubt any Nintendo games (as opposed to 3rd party games) will pass 32GB anytime soon.

2. "thank you Nintendo for sparing us the cost of a 64GB cart" - did anyone (or at least more than one person) really say that? If anything, what I did see is people saying that, given what we have seen so far, it is unlikely companies will use 64GB cards until their prices come down, so it wouldn't have helped if these were available now. Right now companies don't even use the 32GB card because it is too expensive...

As to my take on this, this is all quite frustrating, but once they have decided on using the cards as the media (and I don't see what else they could have used), given market realities, it is what it is.

64gb cards is the two gamepad support of this generation.
Nah, if the WiiU had been successful 2 gamepad support would have happened. Switch is successful, 64 GB will happen.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Besides devs, especially western devs, really need to start getting it through their skulls that data-heavy games do not equal good games. All dialogue in a game does not *need* to be spoken. FMVs are unnecessary.

If Nintendo were able to cram BotW in just 13 gigs, no dev has any excuse to produce anything bigger at this point.

One of the biggest successes of the year, Super Mario Odyssey, comes in at just under 6GB. The game is snappy as all hell and aside from initial level loads of a few seconds, loadings are non-existent. This is how all games should be.

Devs need to understand that this system is not a pure home game console and that monstruous data hogs are not appropriate for it.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... I'm confused by this. Aren't most Switch games currently on 16Gb carts? Do we have any that appear to be on a 32Gb card yet? I would think we'd want to get there before we move to 64Gb, but I guess some publishers are already looking for that option...

It shouldn't be too surprising based on the size of certain third party games this gen, but I'm sure they want an alternative to making people download additional data. I'll be curious to see what other large download size games are on the way!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So... I'm confused by this. Aren't most Switch games currently on 16Gb carts? Do we have any that appear to be on a 32Gb card yet? I would think we'd want to get there before we move to 64Gb, but I guess some publishers are already looking for that option...

It shouldn't be too surprising based on the size of certain third party games this gen, but I'm sure they want an alternative to making people download additional data. I'll be curious to see what other large download size games are on the way!
DragonQuest Heroes 1&2, a launch title in Japan, was on a 32GB cart.

Here's the problem, some very great games would require that giant 64GB cart - games like GTA V or Nier Automata would be forced to be digital-only on Switch, which means less sales, which means they wouldn't likely go to the effort to port the games.

Last edited:

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Besides devs, especially western devs, really need to start getting it through their skulls that data-heavy games do not equal good games. All dialogue in a game does not *need* to be spoken. FMVs are unnecessary.

If Nintendo were able to cram BotW in just 13 gigs, no dev has any excuse to produce anything bigger at this point.

One of the biggest successes of the year, Super Mario Odyssey, comes in at just under 6GB. The game is snappy as all hell and aside from initial level loads of a few seconds, loadings are non-existent. This is how all games should be.

Devs need to understand that this system is not a pure home game console and that monstruous data hogs are not appropriate for it.
This may be true, especially in RPGs, but the trend is towards more and more vocals and higher quality vocals.

That trend isn't reversing anytime soon.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm sure a lot of people are going to look at this as a bad for Nintendo. The reality is they don't even use the 32GB cards now. Maybe I'm wrong but that was going to change with the 64GB... maybe? Maybe there is a difference in fitting the whole game and dlc on one cart?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

64 GB will probably not be needed by Switch only games anytime soon, it will probably be needed by at least a few multiplatform games though.

Downsizing of files simply won't happen with such multiplatform games, where the only incentive for doing so would be for the Switch version.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe start using 32GB carts first lol...
I'm sure a lot of people are going to look at this as a bad for Nintendo. The reality is they don't even use the 32GB cards now. Maybe I'm wrong but that was going to change with the 64GB... maybe? Maybe there is a difference in fitting the whole game and dlc on one cart?
Again, a launch title came on a 32GB cart. And lots of third party games, the type that would be great to play on Switch, would require a large cart, and requiring a large download seriously cuts down on potential customers, which makes it unlikely the third party developer would go to the effort.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This may be true, especially in RPGs, but the trend is towards more and more vocals and higher quality vocals.

That trend isn't reversing anytime soon.

It's not reversing period.

Even with the statements made by developers that they are taking notes on botw they still will inject their increasing favoritism for heavy narratives because that also sells.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should just push consumers to buy microSD cards of at least 64GB until then for these third party games with data needs. Most console games on other platforms are doing the same thing, it's the big difference is storage isn't as much of a concern due to large HDDs. It's not a perfect solution, but I think consumers can understand that the platform does not use optical media and thus storage space is more limited.

Seriously, this is more of a marketing issue imo.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not reversing period.

Even with the statements made by developers that they are taking notes on botw they still will inject their increasing favoritism for heavy narratives because that also sells.
I think the only place you will eventually see the trend relent is PC RPGs. There's a niche of hardcore RPG fans there who could probably be catered to with a proper, sparsely voiced RPG for the trade-off of a bajillion choice/dialogue options.

But yeah in the AAA space? Not reversing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, a launch title came on a 32GB cart. And lots of third party games, the type that would be great to play on Switch, would require a large cart, and requiring a large download seriously cuts down on potential customers, which makes it unlikely the third party developer would go to the effort.
That launch game did cost 80 bucks. Do you want to pay 100 bucks just so you won't have to download anything? Not even Nintendo does a 32GB cart for Bayo 1 and 2 and still sells it for 60 with the entire first game being a digital code.

Lambda Teos

Nov 24, 2017
This should not be a reason to sop developers from publishing games on switch since the option to download the game is available digital, maybe only delay the physical release, but no reason to not publish there

SD cards are becoming cheaper and cheaper, so I can see how this is pushing the digital era more and more

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
No one's going to use them anyway. Developers would rather squeeze as much as they can on the cheapest card they can get and push the extra costs of downloading the rest onto the consumers

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
80 bucks for a game written on a 32 gb cart is too much. I expect to pay that much for a64gb cart and even then I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a download but i hope they are smart about like doom instead of doing it wrong like la noire.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
For consumers the option would have been great right out of the gate considering fewer downloads for game content, though DLC and patches would still exist. It also could have been seen as an advantage considering blu-ray disc size constraints on other platforms. However, from a business stand point the larger card, unless being properly utilized could be a waste of money to devs. Nintendo Switch doesn't require 4K texture assets so games from competing platforms can naturally be smaller in size when ported which might negate a lot of the need for larger cars sizes at this point.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No one's going to use them anyway. Developers would rather squeeze as much as they can on the cheapest card they can get and push the extra costs of downloading the rest onto the consumers

I mean, if you read the OP you'll see publishers are in fact changing plans since the 64GB cards won't be available. This means that some were going to use them.

That's why this is way more good news then bad news.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That launch game did cost 80 bucks. Do you want to pay 100 bucks just so you won't have to download anything? Not even Nintendo does a 32GB cart for Bayo 1 and 2 and still sells it for 60 with the entire first game being a digital code.
What I want is more games to play. If I have to choose between paying $100 for GTA V on my Switch, or not getting it at all, I'd choose the 100 bucks. And that's what's the likely scenario, larger games from third parties just bypassing Switch because adding a required large download seriously cuts down on potential sales and requires extra development work to port.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can big pubs be disappointed when they are already opting to use the cheapest cards with the rest of the data being downloaded?

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah but the majority of western third party games don't use 32GB. I personally don't have a problem with the big installs. I just set it to install overnight while I am sleep, or while I am out running errands. 64GB is welcomed but switch will survive without it until 2019. Nintendo focus needs to be on making sure the online service is spot on, fixing their voice chat, and giving us a 2018 that is just as good as 2017.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If I were a publisher and needed that amount of space to port my game I wouldn't bother. Why would I take the hit on the game card as well as most likely spend more time and money to port the game over to the Switch in the first place? So I'd be forced to raise the prices, which probably wouldn't fly with most people. Who's going to pay $70-80 for the worst version of a multiplatform game and is the number of people willing to do so going to make this a profitable venture? I don't see anyone using these 64gb cards.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW an inside source previously mentioned 32GB wasn't even available yet for western publishers.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
GTA V for Switch will either have a massive download required to supplement a smaller cart, or else will ship on the 64 GB cart and cost $99.99.
I wonder how products like the Switch will prolong the lifespan for these kinds of titles. We've had GTAV release over two console generations already. An in-between portable gen adds a third. This feels different than simpler games which can be released as more or less the same version across platforms.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, that really limits the people who would use them. Via?
It was Vern iirc. Implied they weren't available for T2's games but mentioned it generally for western pubs.

Square Enix was probably something of a special case. Hopefully 32GB becomes wider spread in 2018 but already it's annoying Nintendo's not using it for the Bayo collection.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about using multiple 32GB cards?

Ah, the good old times of disc-swapping.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Based on Digital Foundry tests close to launch: https://youtu.be/vbItTEmozxw?t=196
Cartridges Game cards are the slowest for loading times. Slower than SD cards, slower than built-in internal storage (which is the fastest)
The differences between Sandisk "Ultra" and Sandisk "Extreme" were minimal.
So going with the SD card you listed would probably work well (faster than game card).

For the charger question, based on this thread of recommendations : https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6jnkl4/list_of_recommended_switch_usbc_chargers/
It looks like the macBook chargers are in the "Great but expensive" category.

The charger that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 works fine to charge the Switch. Didn't check voltages or anything but it charged it up in a couple of hours on the wall plug no problem (UK).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW an inside source previously mentioned 32GB wasn't even available yet for western publishers.

I forgot about that. That makes this news that some publishers were seemingly considering using 64GB cards in 2018 even more interesting.

I'm guessing 32GB cards will be available (and cheaper) very soon then.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if Nintendo can get 64GB carts on the regular, then 32GB carts would go down in price. if 64GB is delayed to 2019, maybe in 2018, third parties will see the effects of improved production and 32GB carts will be cheaper still. we just might see more 32GB games next year.

as for the XX and YY companies, I assume those companies are Ubisoft and Take 2. while they're not japanese companies, they'd have so much gravity, that japanese third parties would be drawn by them (except for Squeenix, whom already committed to mid-budget games and thus wouldnt use these carts; and maybe Bamco, whom be one of those 2019 companies)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the source I'd assume XX and YY are almost certainly Japanese companies. The only question is Square Enix and who else? Capcom?

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they're waiting for 64GB to cost as much as 32GB today. Didn't an insider (shinobi?) say a 32GB cart was same as a shipping a game on PS4 plus 60%?

So it would stand that no one will use 64GB for years because of costs sadly.