• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Might disappear behind a paywall after some time, but here are the relevant parts:
WSJ said:
TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -2.42% is shifting some production of its Switch videogame console to Southeast Asia from China to limit the impact of possible U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electronics, said people who work on Nintendo's supply chain.
WSJ said:
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Nintendo planned to update the Switch this year with two new models. One is set to look similar to the current model with beefed-up components, while the other is expected to be a less-expensive model with a new look.

People involved in the supply chain said production in Southeast Asia has started for the Switch, including the current type and the two new models, suggesting Nintendo is getting ready to introduce them soon. They didn't give specific volume figures but said Nintendo wanted to have enough units to sell in the U.S., the largest market for videogame consoles, when the new products go on the market.
Source

They speculate that an announcement for those new SKUs should therefore be close. That is in line with their previous report.

The shift of production is not a surprise, considering the US tariffs.

Share your thoughts!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch Pro with Witcher 3 in 720p in handheld?

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
If only the lite version has a new look that kinda confirms the other is not a pro. That would just confuse people.

Oct 31, 2017
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Wonder *if* there's a Pro version if that recent BotW2 reveal was running on that.

EDIT: Although they did plenty of early bullshots with BotW in the years leading up to its release so I guess I shouldn't put too much thought into it. Just thought the BotW2 reveal had some better than previous lighting it seemed.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
After yesterday's Direct I'm really itching to get a Switch - I hope the new model is announced soon.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been wanting an upgraded model since day one!

Annoyingly my switch has a hardware defect that prevents it from staying in sleep mode. I wanted to send it back under warranty, but at that point Cloud saves weren't a thing and I didn't want to lose all my progress. Now it's too late.

Gimme a new one so I can bask in the sleep-mode glory!

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article's behind a paywall. Does the article say where in Southeast Asia? Thailand or Philippines, I presume.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
If only the lite version has a new look that kinda confirms the other is not a pro. That would just confuse people.
I think the Pro is the next standard model, they might not even label it as "Pro". They'll probably just have a standard model and cheap option. Current model would be discontinued.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
They started a special campaign in Japan, every Switch sold between today and June 27 will get a 3000 Yen eShop voucher.

Smells like a stock-clearing campaign and to soften the blow for "I just bought one before the revision" buyers.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"Beefed up components" is, as always, maddeningly vague.

Does a bigger battery count as a beefed up component? Does double the on-board storage? Does a slightly larger 720p screen?

I have a feeling that the people hoping for a "Switch Pro" this year might not get what they are hoping for.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Hopefully the next model is more powerful as well, not only having cosmetic/battery life improvements.
Keeping 720p on dynamic res games portable would be perfect.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
My guess is we're getting a more portable friendly, lower cost model (which seems obvious, especially given Japanese sales) and that we're getting a new standard model. I don't think it's going to be a full 'Pro' upgrade - I see it more like a DS to DS Lite revision, without the radical aesthetic overhaul. Minor bump up in specs, better screen, some quality of life changes.

I see Nintendo holding off on a Pro - if they time it right, a Pro model further down the line will give Switch another major boost. If they're aiming for longevity, there's no need for Pro just yet - lowering the barrier to entry through a cheaper model is more important. But we'll see.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Better screen, better performance and better battery life and I will pick one up.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I'll get the beefed up Switch when it comes out, the Switch is finally worth owning.

If they're only starting production, reveal (and thefore release) aren't really close at all. Though I guess it may just be the wording in the article.
I guess a reveal around TGS and launch in october/november around Pokemon.

My guess is we're getting a more portable friendly, lower cost model (which seems obvious, especially given Japanese sales) and that we're getting a new standard model. I don't think it's going to be a full 'Pro' upgrade - I see it more like a DS to DS Lite revision, without the radical aesthetic overhaul. Minor bump up in specs, better screen, some quality of life changes.

I see Nintendo holding off on a Pro - if they time it right, a Pro model further down the line will give Switch another major boost. If they're aiming for longevity, there's no need for Pro just yet - lowering the barrier to entry through a cheaper model is more important. But we'll see.
That's what the DS Lite was, a more portable, lower cost model. Obviously the "beefed up" model refers to more than that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the rumored Pro version would be delayed until next year with the more portable one being the focus for this year?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there will be 3 Switch models ... the 2 new ones and the old one is continuing production even in SE Asia too? That seems like a lot of models.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This year seems a bit too soon for a Switch Pro unless they're ready to update a few games to 1080p (Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey) as well (or already had it in mind). Besides a few 3rd party games like The Witcher, Doom Eternal, and Mortal Kombat 11 I don't see anything in this years lineup begging for more power.

2020 seems more likely? But for the cheaper model no better time than now. They have so many games lined up its a perfect time. With Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion in the fall it would be great for parents like me with multiple kids.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Seems like there will be 3 Switch models ... the 2 new ones and the old one is continuing production even in SE Asia too? That seems like a lot of models.
The older model is absolutely going out of production before the end of this year.
The "Switch Pro" will just become the new base model. Think Xbox One S or PS4 Slim

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people who expect switch "pro" to be anything more than slightly beefed up specs due to more modern and energy efficient parts are kidding themselves. OLED lmao. less bezel, more battery life and slightly increased performance is probably what we can expect.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Two friends approached me a few days ago and asked if they should buy a Switch now or wait a little more. Told them to wait for E3 and now at least one of them is looking to buy now.
Should I tell him to wait? How reliable are these rumors? I'm very conflicted on this right now.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
If i recall correctly, everyone anticipated the 3DS XL at e3 but NCL didn't announce til August?

Not unprecedented for them to announcement upgrade hardware post E3 I guess. Bring it on.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
These rumours of new switches are still going on.

I hope that if all this is true, it will come out very quickly. I would like a Switch for Link's Awakening see Pokémon (if I take it after this controversy)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That's what the DS Lite was, a more portable, lower cost model. Obviously the "beefed up" model refers to more than that.

The DS Lite was not a lower-cost model. It was the same price as the DS in the US and it was actually more expensive than the DS in Japan.

I don't think it's a good comparison to either the "Switch mini" or a Switch revision. It's a little bit of both, due to the unique situation of the original DS being so oversized that the smaller version could also be the one with quality of life improvements (like brighter—and actually slightly larger—screens and better battery life).

I could see the Switch "Series 2" model having those sorts of quality of life improvements like better battery life, a larger screen, or more storage. It obviously won't be dramatically smaller in size, in the same way the DS Lite was, and it will use the same joy-cons. I don't think Nintendo's quite ready to introduce a new hardware performance profile (i.e., better graphics) but I could be wrong. It'll probably be the same price as the current Switch.

The Switch mini will be the same thing we've been talking about forever now; smaller but most importantly cheaper, with "fused" joy-cons to reduce production cost.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Any guess when this new switches will be coming out?

I really want to get one now but I'm pretty sure I'll regret it once the Pro is out lol

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
If "beefed up components" means better visuals/performance in games then I'm IN. Anything else and I probably won't upgrade, honestly.