• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the Pro will get much. Can see it being this:

Switch Mini - 4.5 or 5 inch 720p screen, 12nm SOC, 5-7 hours, no internal fan, normal joy cons BUT they don't have rumble, IR, etc like the Hori D-Pad con but have wireless thus reducing costs significantly. Users can swap normal cons onto unit as the connector is the same if they want. These simper joy cons aren't sold separately. Includes a smaller dock. $199 and launches 9/20 beside LA.

Switch + - 6.2 or 6.5 inch 1080p screen, reduced bezels so it's essentially normal Switch but due to 12nm does docked mode in portable mode. No exclusives. No additional RAM. Okay maybe like 1GB or more to help with OS idk. Like minor. New 3DS/DSi level. 64GB too. Has internal fan, ships with normal joy cons. November 2019 alongside Pokémon or maybe March 2020 alongside AC, $299.

I feel like the most likely games to be coupled with any new model are: Zelda on 9/20, Pokémon on 11/15 and AC on 3/20/2020

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. In the old thread, I recall someone explaining that the supply chain needs a lead time of at least eight weeks to get a product on store shelves. I still think we'll see a primarily-handheld model released in tandem with (or around the release of) pokémon.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I normally don't make the jump for Nintendo revisions but if a pro ever comes out I'm down. Some of the games shown at E3 were pretty framey in spots.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
So yeah they are coming this year.

People really need to stop expecting much out of the "pro" model. Setting yourself up for disappointment.

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah they are coming this year.

People really need to stop expecting much out of the "pro" model. Setting yourself up for disappointment.
The Pro should be powerful enough to deliver steady 720p on handheld on most games and 900+ on docked. Basically a steadier resolution and framerates. That's more than enough for me. A native res Xenoblade 2 on handheld would look absolutely gorgeous.

But yeah, some people might expect too much.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Two friends approached me a few days ago and asked if they should buy a Switch now or wait a little more. Told them to wait for E3 and now at least one of them is looking to buy now.
Should I tell him to wait? How reliable are these rumors? I'm very conflicted on this right now.

Very reliable. Tell them to wait a few more months.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
And now this thread will grow by at least 3 pages. ^^

I mean, there's too much smoke for the portable version in 2019 ... i think (at least for me) the big news is that the pro is also closer to reveal/release.

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
What I want from the Pro is increased memory and bandwidth, so we can finally have non-shitty textures on our games...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And now this thread will grow by at least 3 pages. ^^

I mean, there's too much smoke for the portable version in 2019 ... i think (at least for me) the big news is that the pro is also closer to reveal/release.

Again, this isn't news. The WSJ has been saying that the pro is coming in 2019 for months now. As have other outlets like Bloomberg.

I still don't get why everyone doubts that, yet assumes they're right about the mini.

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.
This discussion about a revision is going on for a long while now, first it was summer then it changed to "wait for E3" now that has passed they are saying supply chain has changed and production is started...........

I'll say it again I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.

(Buying Pro version if it ever happens btw.)

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Again, this isn't news. The WSJ has been saying that the pro is coming in 2019 for months now. As have other outlets like Bloomberg.

I still don't get why everyone doubts that, yet assumes they're right about the mini.

I'm absolutely certain that there were some reports about the pro not being planned/scheduled for 2019.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely certain that there were some reports about the pro not being planned/scheduled for 2019.

There were not. There was a report from Nikkei that the next generation Switch did not yet have a design lead. But some people misread that as the pro revision.

That was quickly clarified though.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
These rumors may never be substantiated. It's constantly getting closer with no actual confirmation. "New Switch versions coming this year. The new Switch models have begun production. The new switch models have released and you just can't see them."

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. I've been telling people to just wait (they've been waiting for two years, so what's a few more months?) At worst, they will have 2 or 3 models to choose from.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we hear from Nintendo soon.

Didn't one of the recent reports mention them starting production already, preparing for a summer release? Maybe since this shift in production would only be in response to the U.S. tariffs on China, it's not a sign that they are just now starting production for the end of the year. After all, they can still sell the other units produced earlier in other parts of the world, if true.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, was probably this then. Guess i went out of that thread before the clarification came, as i'm at the point to just wait for Nintendo to move.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.
This discussion about a revision is going on for a long while now, first it was summer then it changed to "wait for E3" now that has passed they are saying supply chain has changed and production is started...........

I'll say it again I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.

(Buying Pro version if it ever happens btw.)

We more or less knew these SKUs weren't coming for a while back then by looking at Nvidia's production orders. An announcement at E3 was also speculation, and bad speculation at that.

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Look at it like this, if Nintendo doesn't announce them soon, someone from the factories will grab a picture of the chasis and leak it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
These rumors may never be substantiated. It's constantly getting closer with no actual confirmation. "New Switch versions coming this year. The new Switch models have begun production. The new switch models have released and you just can't see them."
Wall Street Journal is not a gaming rag. They don't report garbage rumors.

It only seems like it's been ongoing forever because it has been a long running rumour since late last year.

That said their original report was the new models would land in the 2nd half of 2019
Guess where we are at now?

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm okay with 720p on PRO for performance on handheld. Insted I want laminate display and better display with rich color coverage (100% sRGB is my dream).

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Wonder *if* there's a Pro version if that recent BotW2 reveal was running on that.

EDIT: Although they did plenty of early bullshots with BotW in the years leading up to its release so I guess I shouldn't put too much thought into it. Just thought the BotW2 reveal had some better than previous lighting it seemed.
Lighting should have looked better regardless. Running on Switch, not Wii U anymore.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The most interesting thing about this is the trade war implications. Nerve wracking & fascinating at once.

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Emily's comment is not a confirmation from her part (I guess, she might know or not). She is just stating that those sources are reliable.

It's happening.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I could understand skepticism if we were talking about rumors from some small video game website or 4Chan or a Twitter rumor monger or a youtuber.

But WSJ, Bloomberg, Nikkei, and Eurogamer are all major outlets who have reported on this. I'm not sure why anyone would believe all of these outlets are wrong about revisions coming.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
The timing of this and the fact that there are two models in the works makes me wonder if the leak that Papagenos put out about a Switch in 2020 with a 1080P OLED, a 5G modem, and a 512 CUDA core SoC in 2020 to hedge against PS5/Scarlet.

JOLED will be putting out very cheap OLED panels by end of year and Nintendo has already had relationships with Japan Display and Panasonic (who are both invested parties in JOLED), and Nvidia just signed that deal for making chips on Samsung's new 7nm node, which may be more ideal for power-constrained SoCs than high end enterprise chips.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Still hoping for Switch Pro. I am keeping my reservations in check but the thought of docked performance in portable mode makes me so excited.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I could understand skepticism if we were talking about rumors from some small video game website or 4Chan or a Twitter rumor monger or a youtuber.

But WSJ, Bloomberg, Nikkei, and Eurogamer are all major outlets who have reported on this. I'm not sure why anyone would believe all of these outlets are wrong about revisions coming.
Do you have any idea why they (apparently) delayed it from an early Summer release ?

Sounds like the two models should come around the same time then.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm more interested in the pro model than the mini and all those outlets kinda made me question if pro model will make this year

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
The timing of this and the fact that there are two models in the works makes me wonder if the leak that Papagenos put out about a Switch in 2020 with a 1080P OLED, a 5G modem, and a 512 CUDA core SoC in 2020 to hedge against PS5/Scarlet.

JOLED will be putting out very cheap OLED panels by end of year and Nintendo has already had relationships with Japan Display and Panasonic (who are both invested parties in JOLED), and Nvidia just signed that deal for making chips on Samsung's new 7nm node, which may be more ideal for power-constrained SoCs than high end enterprise chips.
List of things that are not happening:
  • OLED (UI burn-in risk)
  • LTE (how do you manage the whole carrier thing?)
  • 1080p
They are just too expensive, and the 1080p and LTE would just drain battery like a madman.

I' might be wrong tho