• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
The timing of this and the fact that there are two models in the works makes me wonder if the leak that Papagenos put out about a Switch in 2020 with a 1080P OLED, a 5G modem, and a 512 CUDA core SoC in 2020 to hedge against PS5/Scarlet.

JOLED will be putting out very cheap OLED panels by end of year and Nintendo has already had relationships with Japan Display and Panasonic (who are both invested parties in JOLED), and Nvidia just signed that deal for making chips on Samsung's new 7nm node, which may be more ideal for power-constrained SoCs than high end enterprise chips.

That Papagenos stuff sounds like a pipe dream to me. All of that stuff in one device would be crazy expensive and Nintendo coming out with something with that premium of a price tag just doesn't fit the company.

Oct 25, 2017
So after the female Link debacle i don't believe anything she says.

lmao you've written her off because of one inaccurate detail from a game in development?

She had the exact specs for the Switch a month before its announcement. She wrote about Labor VR well in advance of an announcement. She's been extremely cautious with the information she shares.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If they are going into production now, both are being launched this year. I would expect an announcement soon.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
That Papagenos stuff sounds like a pipe dream to me. All of that stuff in one device would be crazy expensive and Nintendo coming out with something with that premium of a price tag just doesn't fit the company.
The same Nintendo that sold the Switch for $299 and was DOA due to the high price?

They absolutely can put a premium product out there. This is what the rumor has been suggesting as the pro model.

As for the specifics of the specs we don't know. But your assumptions are way off base and kind of dismissive tbh

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I've been interested in a smaller more sturdy Switch for a while now. I recently replayed Crisis Core on my Vita and man do I just prefer that form factor. I am hoping they make it smaller without shrinking the screen too much. I don't mind them removing the joycons since I barely use them and I wouldn't mind buying a separate pair for use when needed. The only big thing that needs to stay is the ability to dock it to a TV since I use both modes a good amount. Dream form factor is a bit larger than the Vita with all the same functions as the current switch minus the joycons.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I am a firm believer that they release BOTW 2 alongside this new SKU. If we can extrapolate a release date based off these leaks, I think we can also find the release window for BOTW 2.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am a firm believer that they release BOTW 2 alongside this new SKU. If we can extrapolate a release date based off these leaks, I think we can also find the release window for BOTW 2.
Don't think so, if they started production it is coming this Fiscal year.

I could see Witcher 3 being ported to showcase the next hardware ;)

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
lmao you've written her off because of one inaccurate detail from a game in development?

She had the exact specs for the Switch a month before its announcement. She wrote about Labor VR well in advance of an announcement. She's been extremely cautious with the information she shares.
Switch specs where already known people just didn't wanna accept it back then, i didn't follow labo so i can't comment on that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The timing of this and the fact that there are two models in the works makes me wonder if the leak that Papagenos put out about a Switch in 2020 with a 1080P OLED, a 5G modem, and a 512 CUDA core SoC in 2020 to hedge against PS5/Scarlet.

JOLED will be putting out very cheap OLED panels by end of year and Nintendo has already had relationships with Japan Display and Panasonic (who are both invested parties in JOLED), and Nvidia just signed that deal for making chips on Samsung's new 7nm node, which may be more ideal for power-constrained SoCs than high end enterprise chips.
If it's in production now, it's going to be a 2019 release not 2020, so I would assume they are wrong unless they just missed on the date.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think so, if they started production it is coming this Fiscal year.

I could see Witcher 3 being ported to showcase the next hardware ;)

Do we know if this is for the pro version or the lite version? I imagine they release the lite version first, then a pro down the line. I dont think they would muddy up their SKU's with 3 different versions all at once.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope people keep their expectations in check, and know that it will likely still be way less powerful than even the launch Xbone. It's likely going to be such a small upgrade

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
What if her female link rumor wasnt for BOTW.... but for BOTW 2? Pretty easy to get those confused if there wasnt a whole lot of info for her to go on.
Two years in advance before the first game was out even?
Would be too funny if true but no i don't believe she would have info on a game that just yesterday has been announced while the first game wasn't even out yet.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if this is for the pro version or the lite version? I imagine they release the lite version first, then a pro down the line. I dont think they would muddy up their SKU's with 3 different versions all at once.
It's in the OP. WSJ is reporting that both models are already in production.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well if they want Witcher 3 as the big showcase for the Pro ... they should've waited and announced it together with the revision. ^^

You noticed that they didn't gave the release date, so we are bound to another showcase ;)
Pro will replace the current Switch SKU imo. It'll come after the Lite version which should be cheaper.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope people keep their expectations in check, and know that it will likely still be way less powerful than even the launch Xbone. It's likely going to be such a small upgrade
That's a weird take. No one is expecting that.

That said an X2 is around 750 GFLOPS to the current 400 GFLOPS docked if we Just scale up performance from higher clocks and since it's Nvidia flops to the Xbones 1TF AMD flops it can get very close

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird take. No one is expecting that.
Whenever this thing comes out, in whatever form it comes out, I promise there will be threads on here complaining that it doesn't solve every performance issue they've experienced on the Switch. I promise you that, lol.

Me, if this new thing can just get BotW to run at a stable 30fps I'll be happy.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
I agree that it sounds a bit out there, especially with the logistics of getting a modem in a console, still Papagenos got this info from a source who also informed him about the info in the new Switch model in the article that WSJ put out a few months ago, a few days prior to that article.
List of things that are not happening:
  • OLED (UI burn-in risk)
  • LTE (how do you manage the whole carrier thing?)
  • 1080p
They are just too expensive, and the 1080p and LTE would just drain battery like a madman.

I' might be wrong tho

Vita and phones don't have serious problems with OLED, the solution to burn-in is to limit brightness, something portable devices have much less problem with than TVs.

LTE/5G is manageable battery drain, but I wonder about how likely they would go through the trouble of implementing it too.

1080P, seems totally reasonable to me. Have an SoC upgraded to the point that you can play at the docked performance profile on normal Switch games while portable on the new console. New games can still run at <1080P, but still have better looking UI.
The leaker did suggest it would wind up having a ~$500 price tag, which sounded crazy, but if PS5 and/or Scarlet release at $500, like we suspect they may then...

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a September release. Get enough stock built up for the holidays and all those games Nintendo seem to have lined up after August.

We were thinking it was either June or September.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Wish they'd just announce the new model(s) already, if it's actually happening. Mario Maker drops in just over two weeks...

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in buying the lite/handheld one but I'm really curious to see what they've planned for the Pro.

If it isn't more powerful than the OG then I don't see many reasons for it to exist (unless it's a lot cheaper to manufacture). If it is more powerful, why not just call it Switch 2?

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I bet we're going to see a lot of companies go to SEA to skirt over the Chinese tariffs because blown up perpetually angry orange tan man keeps blowing up deals and lies about shit to serve his ego.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
There are a lot of games releasing this summer, I guess any time then is good. Pokémon bundles pre-orders should open by mid september so by then the console will be out for sure.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Nintendo have some kind of conference in the last week of June? It could be then

The annual meeting of shareholders, yeah. But I don't see them announcing hardware there. They usually just send out a PR and video on a random day when they announce a new revision.

so do you guys think that both come out this year?

If they are both in production (and have been for an undisclosed amount of time), then yes. Absolutely.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
My Wishlist for this thing is all ergonomics:
- comfortable to hold
- joycons with usable buttons and layout

Oct 25, 2017
How much lead in time do we usually get from production to release on new models?
Rumor was originally pointing at June, but seems too late to reveal/release that.
There's an overabundance of titles in September, but that seems a bit far.
Dunno