• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for the Pro model, and if both SKUs are already under production, I really hope the Pro is out in time for Animal Crossing.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.
This discussion about a revision is going on for a long while now, first it was summer then it changed to "wait for E3" now that has passed they are saying supply chain has changed and production is started...........

I'll say it again I don't believe s*** unless Nintendo announces it.

(Buying Pro version if it ever happens btw.)
Summer hasn't even started, mate. At least in the west.

Also, don't believe everything Nintendo says. They'll deny something and then launch it soon after, haha. Also, I remember on GAF people were adamant Switch wasn't gonna be a hybrid because of what Nintendo said previously...and guess what happened there? Basically, I'm saying product chain can still start now for a summer (July onwards) launch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
From the beginning, I've been a believer that the Switch would be an iterative concept; hence, after the Switch pro, a Super Switch pro would follow in 2023 and games would stop at that point to be compatible with the OG Switch (except for minor and less ambitious titles) but the Switch pro will be forward compatible with the next iteration. And so on for 10 years.
I think I will skip the Switch pro, and will by the following iteration in 2023. If everything happens like I imagine it will.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If it isn't more powerful than the OG then I don't see many reasons for it to exist (unless it's a lot cheaper to manufacture). If it is more powerful, why not just call it Switch 2?

Because if it's 25-30% more powerful and usses less battery, that's is enough to make it a "new 3ds" like version and get all those dynamic resolution games looking just a bit better and give them a stable framerate, while it isn't enough to call it "switch 2" where you would expect a bigger gap and where calling it "2" will only confuse customers.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Switch Pro please be real! Give me that sweet improved docked performance! The better handheld performance would just be a bonus for me.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Wonder *if* there's a Pro version if that recent BotW2 reveal was running on that.

EDIT: Although they did plenty of early bullshots with BotW in the years leading up to its release so I guess I shouldn't put too much thought into it. Just thought the BotW2 reveal had some better than previous lighting it seemed.
It was similar to the original game's lighting. I'm replaying through it now on hard mode. The lighting was just as phenomenal.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I could understand skepticism if we were talking about rumors from some small video game website or 4Chan or a Twitter rumor monger or a youtuber.

But WSJ, Bloomberg, Nikkei, and Eurogamer are all major outlets who have reported on this. I'm not sure why anyone would believe all of these outlets are wrong about revisions coming.

Can't speak for the others, but Eurogamer has been wrong often enough to not earn the benefit of the doubt.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
I may be more open to the switch now but I'm hoping for better specs and a better feel in the hand for me. I tried Zelda on my sons switch but I gave up in frustration after a while. It just wasn't comfortable for me to play with.

Dec 2, 2017
They were. The longer this goes on the more right I am that they straight up lied. Been saying from the start.

It's not true and they need to be condemned for putting it out when it's not true. Don't care how prestigious they are.

And I have a good idea why they did it too (not just for clicks).
Do you have any evidence besides flimsy claims about dates and a weird personal vendetta?

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I can't find my switch (lost while moving...it MUST be somewhere) but would snap up a Pro for BOTW2 ;)

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any evidence besides flimsy claims about dates and a weird personal vendetta?
The evidence is e3 coming and going without the products being implied even in gameplay footage for far future games and the fact that it would be contrary to the design principles of the switch itself to change direction and have a mobile only switch.

Where's your evidence that I'm wrong?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
And in the meantime people are holding off buying.
What people..? The small percentage of super fans who are plugged into Nintendo rumors who don't already have a Switch...? Anyone holding off for a revision were doing so because they expected a revision from the get go, because that has been Nintendo's normal practice for decades.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Since Emily posted back on pg 4 in a way of me thinking these rumors are real...I'm in for at least a smaller sku Switch. Then I can have some fun with my launch Switch

Dec 2, 2017
The evidence is e3 coming and going without the products being implied even in gameplay footage for far future games and the fact that it would be contrary to the design principles of the switch itself to change direction and have a mobile only switch.

That several reputed insiders including Emily and WSJ have said it is? That Nintendo specifically said they wouldn't be discussing new hardware at E3. That Nintendo often have directs after an E3 and announce more things there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody has reported that it will be a mobile only Switch. So they can't be wrong about that if they never even implied that to begin with.

Also you're forgetting that Nintendo specifically said- twice- that they would not discuss new hardware at E3. That is a huge hint that new hardware will indeed be coming soon, just not at E3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It was speculation by WSJ and like this fake news thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...will-appear-on-stage-at-xbox-briefing.121973/ the rumor needs to end.

This story has discouraged potential customers and I'm calling the WSJ on it while it matters because after the fact no one will care and the damage will be done.

I'm sorry but you're being absurd. The Wall Street Journal talked to supply chain sources, they didn't speculate anything.

Nothing they have reported about this has been proven false. Not even close. On the contrary it has been backed up by several other reputable outlets with their own independent sources.

I have no idea what your beef is with them but please, give it up.

And this clearly isn't discouraging potential customers when the Switch is currently selling better than it ever has.

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing for me to gain and everything for me to lose here. If I'm right we'll have to wait a long time before that becomes clear and the lie will slide under the carpet.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It was speculation by WSJ and like this fake news thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...will-appear-on-stage-at-xbox-briefing.121973/ the rumor needs to end.

This story has discouraged potential customers and I'm calling the WSJ on it while it matters because after the fact no one will care and the damage will be done.

You're comparing speculation misinterpreted as reporting from a French gaming outlet to industry reporting from the Wall Street Journal?

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm right we'll have to wait a long time before that becomes clear and the lie will slide under the carpet.

Last edited:

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Two friends approached me a few days ago and asked if they should buy a Switch now or wait a little more. Told them to wait for E3 and now at least one of them is looking to buy now.
Should I tell him to wait? How reliable are these rumors? I'm very conflicted on this right now.

Well historically Nintendo has announced hardware revisions after E3. Based on that, they'll likely announce it sometime between now and September. New 2DS XL is an exception though.

Here's when new models of 3DS were announced
3DS XL: June 22 2012
2DS: August 28 2013
New 3DS/New 3DS XL: August 29 2014
New 2DS: April 27 2017

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Wonder *if* there's a Pro version if that recent BotW2 reveal was running on that.

EDIT: Although they did plenty of early bullshots with BotW in the years leading up to its release so I guess I shouldn't put too much thought into it. Just thought the BotW2 reveal had some better than previous lighting it seemed.

Remember Breath of the Wild was designed around WiiU's anaemic 1Ghz CPU architecture from the year 2000, 1GB of 12GB/s RAM and 176gflop GPU. A new BotW built from the ground up for a possible Switch Pro (or even the standard Switch) will look much, much better. Depending on what the specs are for the likely Pro, they could even just go with the current visual fidelity at 1080p/60fps or keep it at 900p/30fps and really go for improved lighting, textures, alpha effects and foliage.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have any insiders or press sneak fucks chimed in on this yet? Surely if there is a pro version coming SDKs will be going out soon to developers.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Steer clear of the Fake News Pervert

Announcement before end of July, release before end of September, imo

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope there built better than the last one, the switch is built for shit. I cant even play with the joycons unless Im 2ft away. I could defo go for a new smaller "portable" version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I missed that. I guess the million dollar question is what exactly is this "Pro" version.

Also how much is "a few months".

Why hasn't this been announced yet?

They aren't going to announce revisions (especially a cheaper one) more than like 1.5-2 months before they release. If at least one is coming in September I wouldn't expect an announcement until July, or maybe even later.

Announcing revisions early kill sales of the current console.