• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen consoles might a a bit pricier than expected if the tarrifs are around during holiday 2020.

Mr G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Summer hasn't even started, mate. At least in the west.

Also, don't believe everything Nintendo says. They'll deny something and then launch it soon after, haha. Also, I remember on GAF people were adamant Switch wasn't gonna be a hybrid because of what Nintendo said previously...and guess what happened there? Basically, I'm saying product chain can still start now for a summer (July onwards) launch.
I know what you mean i was there when it happened, i meant i'll believe it's coming the moment Nintendo announces it.
Everytime there is proof and when it doesn't happen the story changes to fit their narrative.

TRUE_EARTH

Mar 21, 2019
I have a crazy conspiracy about scarlett as a switch compatible console / dock being a collaborative effort between Nintendo and Microsoft in the works since OG switch development. My theory is that the new switch models and possibly the OG will be compatible.

The OG switch was a market test for hybrid console viability.
Microsoft is moving towards services rather than console focus.

They have been increasingly friendly to each other lately.

Many clues towards "bringing gamers together".

- scarlett - nintendo logo color
- original switch codename: NX (Nintendo / Xbox)
- american offices are on top of eachother, so a partnership is easy.
- hybrid chipset architecture would allow the compatible switch/scarlett console to support more games than any system / service.
- the switch family manufacturing is moving to taiwan (where xbox 1 and likely scarlett will be produced)

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a crazy conspiracy about scarlett as a switch compatible console / dock being a collaborative effort between Nintendo and Microsoft in the works since OG switch development. My theory is that the new switch models and possibly the OG will be compatible.

- hybrid chipset architecture would allow the compatible switch/scarlett console to support more games than any system / service.
- the switch family manufacturing is moving to taiwan (where xbox 1 and likely scarlett will be produced)

tenor.gif

Jun 17, 2018

Participation ribbon for you

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
A beefed up Switch could also explain why we are starting to get more 3rd party games promised for the system like Witcher 3 and other games that could seriously benefit from a bit more power.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it makes sense. Historically Nintendo never announces redesigns on E3 itself, it always happens after the show, and this has been rumored for so long, I'm pretty much convinced by now. Gotta keep pumping those Switches and money.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The beefed up Switch is intriguing. I'm wondering if this is going to be a "New 3DS" type situation with just slightly faster CPU and GPU clock speeds, or if we can expect a better screen, LAN adapter, battery, etc.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The beefed up Switch is intriguing. I'm wondering if this is going to be a "New 3DS" type situation with just slightly faster CPU and GPU clock speeds, or if we can expect a better screen, LAN adapter, battery, etc.

New 3DS had a ~6x increase in CPU power. Not nearly as much in GPU speed though, but an enormous CPU boost.

But yeah I'm assuming there will be some other upgrades. One of the original reports talked about better screen quality.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
A price of £419 popped up on Amazon before they deleted the probable console entry.
I'll wait and see what actually happens but UK pricing for Nintendo products is just getting worse and worse

£49.99-£59.99 for titles in the eshop with prices that never come down, ever, even the third party ones that are less than a tenner on other, far more robust platforms

It is like anti-business sense. It is like Salvador Dali's take on an eshop. It is like a company that neither cares about getting it right nor shows an interest in ever trying

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was speculation by WSJ and like this fake news thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...will-appear-on-stage-at-xbox-briefing.121973/ the rumor needs to end.

This story has discouraged potential customers and I'm calling the WSJ on it while it matters because after the fact no one will care and the damage will be done.

I mean really it's not your job to do that, lol.

If Nintendo wanted to squash these reports they could do so very easily by issuing a very simple statement. "There will be no new Switch models released this year".

Easy as that. They're not doing that, probably because these reports are to some extent true.

Oct 27, 2017
A beefed up Switch could also explain why we are starting to get more 3rd party games promised for the system like Witcher 3 and other games that could seriously benefit from a bit more power.
Not really imo. The games like Witcher 3 are announced for regular switch. A pro model won't make this any easier since the game has to run on an OG Switch undocked @ normal launch specs.

Sure maybe it would perform better on a Pro but it's not like these games are brought into existence on Switch because of a Pro model.

It will be like New 3Ds. Minor improvement (yes, I know they added two cores and doubled RAM but they did this in 2015 when 4 cores and 1-2GB RAM were super cheap and they chose to only increase cores a bit and only up RAM to 256MB, whereas 512-1GB would have been cheap too) with a 1080p screen maybe, and better frame rates (like MH4U on New 3Ds)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New 3DS' upgrades likely would've seen more widespread usage had the New 3DS been introduced in the 3DS' 2nd year as opposed to coming out in the tail end of the system's lifecycle.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really imo. The games like Witcher 3 are announced for regular switch. A pro model won't make this any easier since the game has to run on an OG Switch undocked @ normal launch specs.

Sure maybe it would perform better on a Pro but it's not like these games are brought into existence on Switch because of a Pro model.

It will be like New 3Ds. Minor improvement (yes, I know they added two cores and doubled RAM but they did this in 2015 when 4 cores and 1-2GB RAM were super cheap and they chose to only increase cores a bit and only up RAM to 256MB, whereas 512-1GB would have been cheap too) with a 1080p screen maybe, and better frame rates (like MH4U on New 3Ds)

Those games can be shown/advertised with Pro footage, which those publishers would probably prefer if the games will look noticeably better.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i still dont believe it. especially the pro model because that's going to be tough to fit any more power in a handheld, especially at 299 and with nintendo's cheapness.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even just a literal die shrink of the OG Switch Tegra X1 to 12nm would open up a host of issues like likely it would be possible for undocked mode to now run what the previous docked performance portably for 3 hours or so.

And docked mode would be able to likely go to full 500 gigaflop potential of the chip.

It would be a decent jump.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Couldnt a Pro model also conceivably include a different dock that improved performance while docked? They patented SCDs that could perhaps do that very thing a couple years back.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
i still dont believe it. especially the pro model because that's going to be tough to fit any more power in a handheld, especially at 299 and with nintendo's cheapness.

The Tegra X1 is from 2015, Switch uses a lower clocked version of the chip. It's really "old" in terms of technological advancement

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should get these out before Astral Chain,Witcher 3, DaemonXMachina, DragonQuest XI etc launch so that those games can be seen in there best possible light on the upgraded Switch, which will be great for marketing the pro upgrade.

I was hoping the cheaper Switch would be out in time for MUA 3 because i think this game has potential to have enough content and replayability that it could be a surprisingly good system seller for Switch at 199.99 or less price point.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It was speculation by WSJ and like this fake news thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...will-appear-on-stage-at-xbox-briefing.121973/ the rumor needs to end.

This story has discouraged potential customers and I'm calling the WSJ on it while it matters because after the fact no one will care and the damage will be done.
Bookmarked this post to revisit it. Take the tinfoil hat off, mate.

Hahahaha. This post gave me a good chuckle. And to top it off, love the screen name! TRUE_EARTH. True story, bro.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"beefed up components" means higher technical specs I assume? like XB1X difference?

(to be clear, I don't mean equal to XB1X. I mean equal to the percentage of difference between base XB1 and XB1X)

Oct 27, 2017
Those games can be shown/advertised with Pro footage, which those publishers would probably prefer if the games will look noticeably better.
I mean they already confirmed Witcher 3 is 540p handheld. A Pro model isn't going to make these games possible, it's just going to offer an extra level of improvement while it still runs on base hardware. I just don't think any secret Pro model has anything to do with new games like Witcher 3 being announced because they have to work on OG Switch anyway

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The Tegra X1 is from 2015, Switch uses a lower clocked version of the chip. It's really "old" in terms of technological advancement

That's true. I could see them returning it to full fat clocks. In fact I'd guess exactly that if anything, as it's path of least resistance type of thing. Works perfect for back compatibility too. You literally convinced me right now LOL.

4GB RAM s already pretty healthy especially for the power class here, so not much need to upgrade that. I mean are they going to 8GB? would be pointless, that's as much as Xbox/PS4 which are still way more powerful. Also RAM is very expensive.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So if they're starting production, assumption would be both models are coming simultaneously, right?

I think so.

Also, I recall PS4 (original) production starting in August for a November release. So three to four months away. Depends on how much they want to produce before launch. Also, they might still need to do a test run off the line first.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but Witcher 3 is being advertised on the regular Switch, for now. We will see what happens when the Pro comes out.

Right but I'm guessing CDPR would be more keen to port it if they were ensured that at least some of the pre-release marketing showed it looking better on the pro too.

So if they're starting production, assumption would be both models are coming simultaneously, right?

We don't know when either of them started production, just that they're both currently in production. It's possible that the lite started production a month ago and the pro just started this week, for instance.

Oct 27, 2017
I would really like a pocketable, preferably clamshell, version.
Yeah this is what I want most. Let it still be docked, maybe with a smaller dock, but work with everything else. No need to remove joy cons and break compatibility when they can just include joy cons that are gutted of functionality to bring down price, like the Hori Dpad Con.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I don't want to get my hopes up, so I'm going to assume one sku is the mini and the other is just a minor refresh my of the OG Hardware.

I'll be over the moon if we get a real Pro version.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Dude have you heard these stories about how the TRUE_EARTH is flat? I think they may actually be more likely than this scenario

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they already confirmed Witcher 3 is 540p handheld. A Pro model isn't going to make these games possible, it's just going to offer an extra level of improvement while it still runs on base hardware. I just don't think any secret Pro model has anything to do with new games like Witcher 3 being announced because they have to work on OG Switch anyway

I'm trying to say that having the games shown running on a pro would be better marketing for those games than just showing it on the OG Switch.

Right now you see TW3 running at 540p handheld on the Switch, but in a month once the pro is revealed (or whenever it's revealed) they can have media outlets playing the game on the pro and looking/running better than it does on the base Switch. Then in the ads running up to release they can show pro footage.

It's synergistic marketing for both the pro and the game, moreso than you'd get without a revision.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
New 3DS' upgrades likely would've seen more widespread usage had the New 3DS been introduced in the 3DS' 2nd year as opposed to coming out in the tail end of the system's lifecycle.
That and the 3DS hardware, it's development tools, and games were never designed with variable performance in mind. Also it's GPU was a complete dead end design wise.

Couldnt a Pro model also conceivably include a different dock that improved performance while docked? They patented SCDs that could perhaps do that very thing a couple years back.
Theoretically, but there are so many hurdles to design around in that scenario, both from a hardware and software perspective, it seems to me that it would probably more worthwhile to just build a standard console that shares the same library.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Right but I'm guessing CDPR would be more keen to port it if they were ensured that at least some of the pre-release marketing showed it looking better on the pro too.

We don't know when either of them started production, just that they're both currently in production. It's possible that the lite started production a month ago and the pro just started this week, for instance.
I'd imagine that actual developers like those at CDPR are well aware of what they work with and are quite proud of the results they have obtained on Switch. Of course, marketing departments are another thing. But it's interesting to note that, at least for Nintendo Directs, all game footage is Nintendo Switch footage, so we will see what Nintendo's policy is with this matter.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody remember that patent Nintendo filed before the Switch was announced about a supplementary computation device? Microsoft announcing that you can set up the Xbox as an I home server reminded me of that.

It said something l along the lines about allowing a device to wirelessly borrow processing abilities from other hardware. I wonder if that patent ever comes into play for Nintendo.

Edit: here's a link to an article from 2016 that gives a summary of the SCD https://amp.tweaktown.com/?url=http...tents-external-console-upgrade-box/index.html

Last edited:

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to buy another switch for me and my wife to be able to play AC: NH together, so a pro version honestly works out.

here's hoping its not $399

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You realize you're claiming that the Wall Street Journal is deliberately and illegally fabricating a conspiracy to sink a company's sales.

Do you hear yourself?