• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Well i am going on a limb. The Switch plus/whatever will probably get a 1080p screen but the internals will be a significant leap over what it is now judging by the advanced Nvidia has made.

If im wrong no i wont be disappointed or sad. Im also not setting myself up for disappointment either. Its fine either way.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any big gaps in Nintendo's 2nd half of 2019 schedule softwarewise? Maybe that's a clue. Maybe they're preparing a secret "big" game to launch with the hardware. idk just spitballing here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hold up.

I might be stretching here.

Those that saw the Treehouse segment for Luigi's Mansion 3 saw how beautiful that game was.

Maybe is has no specific release date because they want the game to coincide with the release of the Switch Pro?

I have a theory that everything we saw on Switch at this years E3 was running on the new more powerful model.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looked astounding in terms of lighting, shading, alpha effects and picture clarity. Much better in almost every aspect than it's first showing.

Astral Chain looked very beautiful, very crisp, all while maintaining what looked like a locked framerate. Much better IQ than it's first showing.

Daemon X Machina has gained 15fps out of nowhere. Something no other Switch game has achieved from reveal to launch. It also looks to have much better IQ and shading.

The Witcher 3 is now possible on the console. I'm guessing built for the Pro model and downgraded to barely run on the base model.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This dropping alongside Breath of the Wild 2 would be a pretty massive move.

Not sure if I really need it though, as my current Switch is fine

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any big gaps in Nintendo's 2nd half of 2019 schedule softwarewise? Maybe that's a clue. Maybe they're preparing a secret "big" game to launch with the hardware. idk just spitballing here.

October? Zelda is September. Actually a lot of stuff are September. Pokemon is November.
i guess Luigi can land in October. And I don;t think there will be a secret big game.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory that everything we saw on Switch at this years E3 was running on the new more powerful model.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looked astounding in terms of lighting, shading, alpha effects and picture clarity. Much better in almost every aspect than it's first showing.

Astral Chain looked very beautiful, very crisp, all while maintaining what looked like a locked framerate. Much better IQ than it's first showing.

Daemon X Machina has gained 15fps out of nowhere. Something no other Switch game has achieved from reveal to launch. It also looks to have much better IQ and shading.

The Witcher 3 is now possible on the console. I'm guessing built for the Pro model and downgraded to barely run on the base model.
wow., pot are you smoking? all of those games are running on base switch

Oct 25, 2017
Reputable news sites are known to lie just to f*ck with people
No. December and October don't have a game set but Luigi's Mansion will Land in one of those
This dropping alongside Breath of the Wild 2 would be a pretty massive move.

Not sure if I really need it though, as my current Switch is fine
They wouldn't be producing hardware now in factories to not launch it for a year and a half

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Pro will be 720p. I think even Switch 2 will default to a lot of 720p games even if it has a 1080 p screen.

At the size, 720p is good enough and the extra power is better utilized elsewhere

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Give me a switch pro in August/September with 1080p screen better wifi and ability to stream games for better quality and I'll be in heaven.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
No. December and October don't have a game set but Luigi's Mansion will Land in one of those
With Animal Crossing moving out to 2020, there's definitely room for something. Maybe the rumored Metroid, or Retro will surprise us after all lol.

So can you refute any of my points or are you just going to insult me?
Well the most obvious answer is that there has never been any precedence for doing something like that, and it would completely undercut both their E3 showing and their hardware reveal if/when their customers and fans find out.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Big gap in October. September is rammed and November has Pokemon. If I had to guess Luigi's Mansion is dropping in that window or December (since the release date has weirdly not been announced).

If they're dropping this year then it's happening before Pokemon and Black Friday, so October is probably a good bet.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
If they're gonna release new hardware, doing so with a 3D Zelda is the way to go.

But yeah, all rumours point to both devices launching this year.

Makes me think it really is a 'Switch +' variant and a 'Mini Switch'.

Makes sense to introduce a 'Super Turbo Ultra Switch' later down the road when next-gen Xbox/PS5 launches.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Breath of the Wild 2 is a 2020 game. King Zell teased it as such, and Aonuma confirmed the base game world will be the same. Also Nintendo doesn't reveal games all that early anymore.

Mark it.

Even so, it's a late 2020 at best game, and assuming these rumors are true, we're getting the enhanced Switch this year. It's going with Pokemon, not Zelda.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Well i am going on a limb. The Switch plus/whatever will probably get a 1080p screen but the internals will be a significant leap over what it is now judging by the advanced Nvidia has made.

If im wrong no i wont be disappointed or sad. Im also not setting myself up for disappointment either. Its fine either way.
1080p screen is just straight up wasteful. It would take up more energy/ battery life on a 16-12nm chip for only modest gains, and we don't have the games to fully take advantage of 1080p. Hypothetically, even if Nintendo doubles performance in every area and makes pro in the league of xbone base, the vast majority of third party games will likely still be in the 720-900p range. 720p on switch's small screen also looks fine anyway. Worst case scenario they could down sample and increase fidelity of 1080p games, assuming that switch pro handheld specs can go up to current docked specs.

As for VR, performaning at 720p is fine. As it stands right now, we're getting less than handheld performance due to needing 50% performance per eye. As a result, we've been getting noticable drops in fidelity, resolution, and framerate vs games using non VR on handheld. With switch pro, it's best they maintain framerate and keep a solid 720p for both areas in the central and side views.

IMO, It's not worth getting a 1080p screen until we get to Switch 2 in 2022-23 and it gets 1 TFLOP in performance in handheld

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so dumb that, at first, I thought SEA was an abbreviation for Seattle, Washington. haha >_<

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda think Nintendo should maybe consider just making a separate VR platform with reasonable sales expectations (like 3-5 million hardware units/year).

It could run Switch software, but with its own dedicated HMD specifically for VR.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If there is a Switch Pro with a 1080p screen, does that mean text will be even harder to see in portable mode?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
It may be more wise to refer to the upgraded model as New Switch. I feel that the Switch Pro moniker is setting an expectation higher than what reality will deliver.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It may be more wise to refer to the upgraded model as New Switch. I feel that the Switch Pro moniker is setting an expectation higher than what reality will deliver.
That hype train has already left the station. I will look forward to the threads created when it turns out to just be a minuscule/non-existent enhancement.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Nintendo would join in on the HDR fun that the other consoles are having. It's a crime not to be able to experience Nintendo games in HDR.

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically unless it's a custom chip there's nothing to really upgrade to. The X2 isn't intended for something as small as Switch and as far as we know there is no X3. So it would seem we would only be getting a mild CPU bump, perhaps with better thermal design they can clock it higher. Under those assumptions it's also sticking with 720p.

While I think that the most appropriate boost for a new product would be matching current docked performance in handheld, Pro mode, and some extra resolution for VR I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Nintendo should consider Iran next (my country).
5XDQlS7.png
I'm from India and we've been prevented from trading with you guys as well, which sucks because you guys give us a great deal for our oil needs. Btw does Nintendo have an official presence in Iran? They don't have one in India and it's so damn expensive to buy physical games here because they are imported

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't the 2ds stealth announced in august. i bet thats when we get the info. I can see a switch mini and pokemon bundle for black friday 2019

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the shifting to SEA in order to get around Chinese tariffs?

Probably that and also the fact that a lot of manufacturing has been leaving china in the past few years. China isn't a cheap place anymore, their main advantage is just their manufacturing technology and infrastructure. Wages are up, real estate is up up up... china is not a developing country anymore, it has shifted to a service based economy in a lot of ways.