• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They'll just sell both at the same time. The DQ11 bundle will push old systems out the channel

The bundle (assuming it's the HAC-001 as it seems to be) will actually put new stock of the "old" system into the channel. This is unique hardware; it's not like Nintendo can just slip a download code into retailers' existing systems and then fold a slipcover over the boxes.

Now, I'd wager they're not going to ship a lot of these, so it might not be a big deal. But I think it would be a little odd to announce Switch Series 2 to ship on September 20, and then ship a super special bundle set containing the original Switch on September 27. I'm not saying Nintendo's never done anything like that before, but I don't think they would think it's ideal.

Agreed? In this case I'm saying the mini could have launched and the two could co-exist, as of this bundle.

As with the 2ds xl launching and the two co-existing as of that bundle.

Obviously this is all speculation, but we just kind of agreed with different ordered wording lol perhaps reaching different conclusions though

Oh, gotcha. I thought you were saying something different. My bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, gotcha. I thought you were saying something different. My bad.

No worries at all. Personally, I think I'm actually inclined towards believing that the new model/s (the cheaper option anyway) launching "whenever Luigi does" hah, that's the reason I'd attribute Luigi getting no date at e3 anyway. October seems likely. I was more pitching in just to say, they are super hard to predict

Last edited:

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Historically, new games releases were not bundled with an older hardware model when a newer one was available during the same period. And since we are talking about Square-Enix, they released Children of Mana the same week the DS Lite launched in Japan. So if history is anything to go by, they would likely launch DQ to take advantage of the hype generated by the newer model instead.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Historically, new games releases were not bundled with an older hardware model when a newer one was available during the same period. And since we are talking about Square-Enix, they released Children of Mana the same week the DS Lite launched in Japan. So if history is anything to go by, they would likely launch DQ to take advantage of the hype generated by the newer model instead.

Agreed. Nintendo timed the release of the New 2DS XL to support DQ XI, and they timed the release of the New 3DS XL to support Monster Hunter 4G.

So yeah, for a sufficiently big title, it seems a little unlikely that they would bundle it with old hardware while also releasing new hardware at the same time.

So maybe they aren't releasing hardware in September, or maybe the hardware they release in September isn't a replacement for this hardware (e.g., a Switch mini), or maybe this is the DQ bundle will come with the new hardware and they're either hiding it or the new hardware is visually identical.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I hope this comes out soon. I have been meaning to get some new Joycons because the buttons on mine are wearing out pretty bad, but they're pretty expensive so I'd rather just get a new enhanced switch to come along with them.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Just to add to the conversation, the Dragon Quest hardware bundle in Japan which is set to launch on Sep, 27th features a plain Switch on the ad:

Dragon-Quest-XI-S-Hardware-Special-Edition-Japan_06-12-19_001.jpg

So, either :

1) we might have to wait longer for the revision to come out
2) or the revision is optically similar to the present Switch
3) or the Switch on this ad is a placeholder

I'd personally wager that the ad is final and that the revision which will look different is slated for later.

I dont think that any kind of limited hardware bundle for one market will effect on release of revision.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what's ideal is docked specs on pro handheld, and then 2.5x that for the docked mode (~900 GFLOPs). Just keep the pattern of 2.5x power going from handheld OG switch to OG docked Switch/Handheld Switch Pro to Docked Switch Pro to make it consistent and more seamless. Whatever performance modes in between should be be optional. At the very least 2.25x as much to go from 720p to 1080p.
I don't know if they can/will go for that. Sounds ideal but these reports have been telling us to lower our expectations.
I they can't get heat to go down by half, I don't think they'll release a system that's that hot.
Perhaps 1.5x boost from docked mode and fixing the bandwidth issue allowing games to hit 900p/1080p they're targeting more frequently

Oct 25, 2017
Just to add to the conversation, the Dragon Quest hardware bundle in Japan which is set to launch on Sep, 27th features a plain Switch on the ad:

So, either :

I'd personally wager that the ad is final and that the revision which will look different is slated for later.
As I mentioned, they could stagger out the release with the slim out first and the pro out later.
Maybe slim out September and the pro October/November

This could help empty existing base switch stock while the slim is an entirely different value proposition

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I mean if the new model is just portable I might just end up picking that one up and sell my Switch.

I'd rather have the Pro model... But it gotta be be worth it in terms of chipset/memory, I'm yet to play Xenoblade because of the performance issues

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How long have we been hearing about these new Switch models?

I feel like its been more than a year at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
As I've mentioned, the issue with announcing a revision is that it'll affect sales for the month or so ahead of its release.
So i don't see them announcing it next week if it'll potentially hurt Mario maker 2.

Though, honestly if they were planning a staggered release July for the lite model and September for the pro might make sense?
Those months are oddly stacked.
June is relatively empty till the very end of the month with Mario Maker but July has a ton with Fire Emblem, marvel Ultimate Alliance, dragon Quest Builders, etc.
August is relatively empty till the very end of the month with astral chain, but September is also packed.
Dragon Quest XIS, Link's Awakening, DxM, Spyro trilogy,

July is also when they released XL.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if they can/will go for that. Sounds ideal but these reports have been telling us to lower our expectations.
I they can't get heat to go down by half, I don't think they'll release a system that's that hot.
Perhaps 1.5x boost from docked mode and fixing the bandwidth issue allowing games to hit 900p/1080p they're targeting more frequently

I don't know what they'll do for docked mode but even the current Switch can manage docked clocks in handheld mode with a battery life of up to 2 hours according to homebrew people. So that should be easily doable for a theoretical pro that has a die shrink and a similar battery.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I don't think Nintendo wants to miss the summer vacation (starts at end July) to launch the lite version, especially for Japan. Given that Nintendo is also doing the 3000 yen eshop voucher for every Switch purchased from June 27 with limited production, I suspect the lite will likely be latest announced around 2 weeks after June 27, and launch during the early summer vacation.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what they'll do for docked mode but even the current Switch can manage docked clocks in handheld mode with a battery life of up to 2 hours according to homebrew people. So that should be easily doable for a theoretical pro that has a die shrink and a similar battery.
yeah, I think that's the bare minimum for me to want a pro.
Biggest question would be docked, tbh.
Would be weird if there was no change in docked mode while there being a change in handheld mode but we'll see.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm not too sure if they can or will either, but if it's possible, I think it's best for consistency and getting 720p to 1080p. And if they can get to 2.25-2.5x, they are in xbone territory.

And yes, you are right. I believe we should temper our expectations. Looks like the new Nvidia shield model is likely using a die shrink of the Tegra X1 (16 or 12nm), but less power consumption and higher GPU clockspeeds. I think a 1.5x boost GPU is reasonable to expect, and I'm thinking the revised switch will likely use the same.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too sure if they can or will either, but if it's possible, I think it's best for consistency and getting 720p to 1080p. And if they can get to 2.25-2.5x, they are in xbone territory.

And yes, you are right. I believe we should temper our expectations. Looks like the new Nvidia shield model is likely using a die shrink of the Tegra X1 (16 or 12nm), but less power consumption and higher GPU clockspeeds. I think a 1.5x boost GPU is reasonable to expect, and I'm thinking the revised switch will likely use the same.
I think 50% better clock speeds (or whatever) while fixing the bandwith issue on docked would be fairly nice.
Especially if coupled with being able to play docked mode on the handheld, that would be pretty nice.

prid13

Mar 31, 2019

So, either :

that has got to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing bundles I've ever seen 😍😍😍 if I didn't already own a Switch and it this weren't only available in Japan, I'd be totally all over this!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an update for the less interesting (to us) part of this topic:

Nintendo is said to have relocated a small portion of its Switch console manufacturing to Vietnam while still keeping most of its production lines in China, according to industry sources.

The production in Vietnam will supply primarily to the US, the sources noted. However, there was no confirmation from Nintendo about the reported move.

Hosiden's plants are in Vietnam's Bac Giang province and have been assembling Nintendo's Switch since June with a monthly capacity of 300,000 units initially, the sources said.

At the moment, Nintendo still has over 90% of its Switch consoles manufactured in China with Foxconn being the largest shipment contributor, followed by Hosiden.

So basically 90% of their production is still in China but the portion that moved to SEA is specifically in Vietnam, with a capacity of 300,000 units per month.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It was speculation by WSJ and like this fake news thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/je...will-appear-on-stage-at-xbox-briefing.121973/ the rumor needs to end.

This story has discouraged potential customers and I'm calling the WSJ on it while it matters because after the fact no one will care and the damage will be done.
I don't normally do this but... WHAT WHAT. Switch Lite says hello.

Please return your tin foil hat and ask for a refund.

HO HO HO.