• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever this will be, we'll probably hear about it next week. So we won't have to wait long

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
But thing is that maybe it had project lead, but they changed plans and now its without project lead, point is that we dont know,
and they did reported that productions is "held back" that means that productions should start sooner than later before its currently held back.
If I recall WSJ reported that both will be released in this FY not exactly in same time period, and releasing first Switch Mini/Pocket and than later "New" Switch always had more sense.
Also, its very strange if Nikke reports only about low price point model and this supposed 3rd version that will not be released soon and not mentioning at all "New" Switch that was supposed to be released this FY that both WSJ and Eurogamer reported about.
"held back" is a translation, quoting it doesn't mean exactly that, it just means that it is further out. like I said it's possible, but without a project lead, it's not likely that this product was ever coming out this year. Maybe next Spring? but if it's release is any further out than Spring, they should hold off until 2021 and release the "Pro2" I'm talking about in that post instead.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
"held back" is a translation, quoting it doesn't mean exactly that, it just means that it is further out. like I said it's possible, but without a project lead, it's not likely that this product was ever coming out this year. Maybe next Spring? but if it's release is any further out than Spring, they should hold off until 2021 and release the "Pro2" I'm talking about in that post instead.

Again, maybe it had project lead but plans were changed so currently is without project lead, point is that we dont know and that we can just speculate,
that why all options are still on table.
And like I wrote, its very strange if Nikke reports only about low price point model and this supposed 3rd version that will not be released soon and not mentioning at all "New" Switch that was supposed to be released this FY that both WSJ and Eurogamer reported about.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute... the position of the card slot viewed from this side means that the other picture wasn't mirrored and the logo and writing on the back were printed back to front... maybe this is someone messing around after all.

Yeah, between that and the HAC-001 code on the back, it definitely seems like a fake. A fake which looks a lot like what I'd expect a portable-only Switch model from Nintendo to look like, but a fake nonetheless.

On a separate note, TSMC just released their Q1 2019 results, and one interesting bit is that they've actually released specific figures on the 20nm process (previously they had been bundling it in with the 16nm processes). The 20nm process accounted for just 1% of their revenue, down from 4% in Q1 2018. Apple's discontinuation of the iPhone 6 is likely the main driver behind this, but it shows how much the industry has moved away from 20nm. Even if a new model with a new SoC is coming in the next couple of months, the TX1 still would have been in production in Q1, so there's a good chance that the Switch accounts for the majority of that 20nm production at this stage.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If the Nikkei article is accurate and nothing is launching until the Fall at the earliest I don't think we're going to hear about it until August-September or so.
We will get an idea next week when they give us their sales goal for this FY at the least.
Yeah, between that and the HAC-001 code on the back, it definitely seems like a fake. A fake which looks a lot like what I'd expect a portable-only Switch model from Nintendo to look like, but a fake nonetheless.

On a separate note, TSMC just released their Q1 2019 results, and one interesting bit is that they've actually released specific figures on the 20nm process (previously they had been bundling it in with the 16nm processes). The 20nm process accounted for just 1% of their revenue, down from 4% in Q1 2018. Apple's discontinuation of the iPhone 6 is likely the main driver behind this, but it shows how much the industry has moved away from 20nm. Even if a new model with a new SoC is coming in the next couple of months, the TX1 still would have been in production in Q1, so there's a good chance that the Switch accounts for the majority of that 20nm production at this stage.
Yeah 20nm is gone, it's still possible that they launch both new models with the same new SoC on 12nm.
Again, maybe it had project lead but plans were changed so currently is without project lead, point is that we dont know and that we can just speculate,
that why all options are still on table.
And like I wrote, its very strange if Nikke reports only about low price point model and this supposed 3rd version that will not be released soon and not mentioning at all "New" Switch that was supposed to be released this FY that both WSJ and Eurogamer reported about.
Nikkei's report was very confusing to say the least, but I am not saying it's not the Pro they are reporting on, I'm saying it's probably not the pro they are reporting on... If it is the Pro they are talking about "held back" doesn't mean much at all, if it was planned this year, it could still be this FY. What I push back on here is the "Next Gen" Switch, how it's a whole new gen, I mean Nintendo could be launching a 7nm Switch this year, but that isn't inside my expectations.

Some of the better translations also said "It's not clear who will lead the creation of concept" instead of just project lead, which is also part of the reason I think it's the next gen device and not a midgen refresh.

Last edited:

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017

To extend this with some extremely rough estimates, TSMC shipped about 2.2 million 12-inch equivalent wafers in Q1 2019. They don't detail how many wafers they shipped on each process, just the revenue share, but we can safely say that 20nm wafers are more expensive than the average wafer they ship, as two-thirds of their revenue (and therefore more than two-thirds of their wafers, as they're lower-revenue per wafer) are on 28nm or larger processes. Let's just say that 20nm wafers are twice the cost of the average wafer they ship (which is probably an underestimate, but it's a simple, round number), and we could estimate that they shipped around 11,000 12-inch 20nm wafers in Q1 2019.

Now, for Nintendo let's just make a simplied assumption that they're ordering 5 million TX1's per quarter (based on their 20m annual target). The TX1 is 121mm2 in size, and a 12-inch wafer is about 73,000mm2, and accounting for packing (as you can't perfectly fit square dies on a circular wafer) and non-perfect yields, we can make a rough estimate of about 500 good dies per wafer. So, for 5 million Switch's a quarter, Nintendo would need about 10,000 12-inch wafers, which is very close to the estimate for how many 20nm wafers TSMC are producing.

Of course I've made a whole load of assumptions in there (most notably the cost of 20nm wafers, which I have no way of knowing), but it does look like there's a good chance Nintendo account for the considerably majority of TSMC's 20nm production at this stage.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Was it universally accepted and expected that the Mini/Lite would have non-detachable Joycons?

It was already heavily debated in here because it limits out-of-the-box (!) compatibility with some kid/family-oriented titles (mainly Super Mario Party & 1-2-Switch).

Some fear customer confusion (parents buy kid NSW mini/lite, kid cannot play those titles with family/parents), others said it is a personal device and thus does not need out-of-the-box compatibility with those titles (solution would be joy-con-bundles for titles that need them).

So, no, I would say it was not universally accepted, but maybe expected by the majority? I hope we do not have to discuss the topic again, it was running in circles.

Last edited:

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I'm thinking Lite model this year and replacement for OG next year. I don't see Nintendo releasing both models at the same time.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
To extend this with some extremely rough estimates, TSMC shipped about 2.2 million 12-inch equivalent wafers in Q1 2019. They don't detail how many wafers they shipped on each process, just the revenue share, but we can safely say that 20nm wafers are more expensive than the average wafer they ship, as two-thirds of their revenue (and therefore more than two-thirds of their wafers, as they're lower-revenue per wafer) are on 28nm or larger processes. Let's just say that 20nm wafers are twice the cost of the average wafer they ship (which is probably an underestimate, but it's a simple, round number), and we could estimate that they shipped around 11,000 12-inch 20nm wafers in Q1 2019.

Now, for Nintendo let's just make a simplied assumption that they're ordering 5 million TX1's per quarter (based on their 20m annual target). The TX1 is 121mm2 in size, and a 12-inch wafer is about 73,000mm2, and accounting for packing (as you can't perfectly fit square dies on a circular wafer) and non-perfect yields, we can make a rough estimate of about 500 good dies per wafer. So, for 5 million Switch's a quarter, Nintendo would need about 10,000 12-inch wafers, which is very close to the estimate for how many 20nm wafers TSMC are producing.

Of course I've made a whole load of assumptions in there (most notably the cost of 20nm wafers, which I have no way of knowing), but it does look like there's a good chance Nintendo account for the considerably majority of TSMC's 20nm production at this stage.
It's probably safer to assume they ordered 4M, so ~8000 waffers still it's 70% to 80% they are definitely being pushed off the node.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So that "leak" I think is most likely a fake. If you play around with the image you can sorta make out the FCC ID is the same as the original Switch and that's not possible for any new device. Unless I"m reading it wrong I don't think it's real

Oct 26, 2017
So that "leak" I think is most likely a fake. If you play around with the image you can sorta make out the FCC ID is the same as the original Switch and that's not possible for any new device. Unless I"m reading it wrong I don't think it's real

The picture of the front view confirms that It's also written backwards, which is pretty odd whatever it is.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Without a project lead, it was never coming out this year, if the mini is out this fall and WSJ's sources were saying this Power Switch™ was launching along side it, and their goal was to put out a 2DS and 3DSXL type of value, it had to have had a project head, these products aren't produced at Nintendo, they have to buy all of these supplies, and that was WSJ's original source on this, including last year's article from them. This is probably not the device Nikkei is talking about, simply because they don't even know for sure what they are doing with it yet, while the pro was in people's hands.

The current Switch can have it's docked performance with a ~2 hour battery life, if the Lite Switch™ is built on 12nm and does the same thing, it should be able to push that battery life past 3 hours, and if it runs in 196GFLOPs mode, it would of course offer 5 or even 6.

The Pro system is likely 12nm if it's coming this year. Nvidia doesn't have any 7nm graphics hardware yet, and Tegra follows their new architectures about a year out. So 12nm Turing launched last fall, a 12nm Turing Tegra chip will likely come this year. That is also in my opinion more likely than Pascal, simply because it is on 12nm and they don't have to retool the Pascal architecture to the more efficient 12nm. That means the Switch Pro won't exceed 1TFLOPs, I personally think they will stick with a 2.3 (~900gflops) to 2.4x (943gflops) performance ratio to reach 1080p cleanly, and allow it to match the current Switch when portable, while offering a 720p experience with that performance, I don't think they will change the screen resolution. Mixed precision will definitely help it punch above it's weight, that is about 1.4TFLOPs available to developers, and that is enough from Nvidia to match a base PS4, but that will still be a rare case until next gen takes mixed precision seriously.

What Nikkei is reporting would again likely use that same ratio, giving you 2.1TFLOPs to 2.3TFLOPs in a Switch Pro2 when docked, which sounds maybe a bit over 3 years away by Nikkei's report. when portable, it can offer that ~900GFLOPs and target 720p and when docked it can offer over 2TFLOPs, as Mixed precision takes off, it would mean a 720p portable PS4 and when docked it would offer roughly PS4 Pro's performance, as Mixed precision offers over 3TFLOPs here and that Nvidia advantage isn't going to disappear against the March 2012 Pitcairn, PS4 GPU, that ~35% performance gulf puts this chip over 4TFLOPs of GCN, or right next to PS4 Pro.

Nintendo NX was originally designed as a Nintendo Wii U that was both a home console and a handheld, there was a report in October 2015

Early on in January 2013, Nintendo's hardware teams merged, they decided on the concept above sometime afterwards. With AMD it makes perfect sense that they would have had to use 2 different devices to offer this concept, but when Nvidia's Tegra team came to Nintendo They showed off the Tegra K1 powered Nvidia Shield Tablet, that led to March 2015 where they showed off the Tegra X1 and all of a sudden Nintendo realized they could do a hybrid system as well... Iwata died and leadership changed to Miyamoto and Takeda, while they looked for a new president, KImishima who had previously said that the Wii U wouldn't sell, took over before his retirement to help launch the Nintendo NX and decided that they only should launch with the hybrid system (I've been told some of this stuff by people at Nintendo, but this last part is my speculation). At that point they stopped working on the console version of the Nintendo NX and likely the handheld version, the hybrid idea was clear and less confusing to people, it was a new idea and brought both of their separate markets together, even if the price of the Switch was definitely going to be more comfortable to their console market. They have always known that they would need to address the 4K resolution at some point, and Nintendo is now bringing back their handheld concept, except the dock isn't also a console... YET. Nintendo will (still speculation) release a console that also has a dock built in it for the Switch devices, it will simply be in this same ratio of performance they are following with the Switch iterations, and I don't think it's coming until at least 2021, possibly later... 2.3TFLOPS x 4 for a 1080p:4K ratio gives you over 9TFLOPs.

I've speculated on this console back in post #4701 of this thread. From everything I have heard, I'm only more confident of this, it makes sense for Nintendo to experiment with different form factors, Iwata's idea with Nintendo NX was for Nintendo to free their software library from their individual hardware devices and create a family of devices, he choose the word "brothers" and if you think about what that means, it's not parents and children, they are not all related in different roles, but rather in different paths, they don't have set roles to play, but Nintendo can create devices that find their own markets. Maybe the difference is entirely in my head too much, but I think having their relationship to each other as equals means something.

We will see ultimately what they do, but I think by 2022 we will have Nintendo exploring the Switch platform via different form factors, as Iwata said, ultimately it might just be 1 device, but he had the idea that it would lead to not just 2 but 3 or 4 different form factors, and ultimately we decide what is a successful product they keep on the shelf, and what gets EOL. The real magic here for Nintendo is they can literally put out a console at a small profit and if it sells worse than the Wii U, it means absolutely nothing to them, they can drop it because there is no investment into a new platform.

For anyone that sees a "pro2" as completely breaking the Switch ecosystem because of performance differences between the current model (when docked) and this one, the GPU performance is about the same as the launch XB1 (1.228TFLOPs at launch) and the XB1X (6TFLOPs or about 5x more performance) Nintendo is free to do what they want with what the Switch is, and it's clear that Nvidia thinks this is what they are doing as well.
I'll have what he's having

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Without a project lead, it was never coming out this year, if the mini is out this fall and WSJ's sources were saying this Power Switch™ was launching along side it, and their goal was to put out a 2DS and 3DSXL type of value, it had to have had a project head, these products aren't produced at Nintendo, they have to buy all of these supplies, and that was WSJ's original source on this, including last year's article from them. This is probably not the device Nikkei is talking about, simply because they don't even know for sure what they are doing with it yet, while the pro was in people's hands.

The current Switch can have it's docked performance with a ~2 hour battery life, if the Lite Switch™ is built on 12nm and does the same thing, it should be able to push that battery life past 3 hours, and if it runs in 196GFLOPs mode, it would of course offer 5 or even 6.

The Pro system is likely 12nm if it's coming this year. Nvidia doesn't have any 7nm graphics hardware yet, and Tegra follows their new architectures about a year out. So 12nm Turing launched last fall, a 12nm Turing Tegra chip will likely come this year. That is also in my opinion more likely than Pascal, simply because it is on 12nm and they don't have to retool the Pascal architecture to the more efficient 12nm. That means the Switch Pro won't exceed 1TFLOPs, I personally think they will stick with a 2.3 (~900gflops) to 2.4x (943gflops) performance ratio to reach 1080p cleanly, and allow it to match the current Switch when portable, while offering a 720p experience with that performance, I don't think they will change the screen resolution. Mixed precision will definitely help it punch above it's weight, that is about 1.4TFLOPs available to developers, and that is enough from Nvidia to match a base PS4, but that will still be a rare case until next gen takes mixed precision seriously.

What Nikkei is reporting would again likely use that same ratio, giving you 2.1TFLOPs to 2.3TFLOPs in a Switch Pro2 when docked, which sounds maybe a bit over 3 years away by Nikkei's report. when portable, it can offer that ~900GFLOPs and target 720p and when docked it can offer over 2TFLOPs, as Mixed precision takes off, it would mean a 720p portable PS4 and when docked it would offer roughly PS4 Pro's performance, as Mixed precision offers over 3TFLOPs here and that Nvidia advantage isn't going to disappear against the March 2012 Pitcairn, PS4 GPU, that ~35% performance gulf puts this chip over 4TFLOPs of GCN, or right next to PS4 Pro.

Nintendo NX was originally designed as a Nintendo Wii U that was both a home console and a handheld, there was a report in October 2015

Early on in January 2013, Nintendo's hardware teams merged, they decided on the concept above sometime afterwards. With AMD it makes perfect sense that they would have had to use 2 different devices to offer this concept, but when Nvidia's Tegra team came to Nintendo They showed off the Tegra K1 powered Nvidia Shield Tablet, that led to March 2015 where they showed off the Tegra X1 and all of a sudden Nintendo realized they could do a hybrid system as well... Iwata died and leadership changed to Miyamoto and Takeda, while they looked for a new president, KImishima who had previously said that the Wii U wouldn't sell, took over before his retirement to help launch the Nintendo NX and decided that they only should launch with the hybrid system (I've been told some of this stuff by people at Nintendo, but this last part is my speculation). At that point they stopped working on the console version of the Nintendo NX and likely the handheld version, the hybrid idea was clear and less confusing to people, it was a new idea and brought both of their separate markets together, even if the price of the Switch was definitely going to be more comfortable to their console market. They have always known that they would need to address the 4K resolution at some point, and Nintendo is now bringing back their handheld concept, except the dock isn't also a console... YET. Nintendo will (still speculation) release a console that also has a dock built in it for the Switch devices, it will simply be in this same ratio of performance they are following with the Switch iterations, and I don't think it's coming until at least 2021, possibly later... 2.3TFLOPS x 4 for a 1080p:4K ratio gives you over 9TFLOPs.

I've speculated on this console back in post #4701 of this thread. From everything I have heard, I'm only more confident of this, it makes sense for Nintendo to experiment with different form factors, Iwata's idea with Nintendo NX was for Nintendo to free their software library from their individual hardware devices and create a family of devices, he choose the word "brothers" and if you think about what that means, it's not parents and children, they are not all related in different roles, but rather in different paths, they don't have set roles to play, but Nintendo can create devices that find their own markets. Maybe the difference is entirely in my head too much, but I think having their relationship to each other as equals means something.

We will see ultimately what they do, but I think by 2022 we will have Nintendo exploring the Switch platform via different form factors, as Iwata said, ultimately it might just be 1 device, but he had the idea that it would lead to not just 2 but 3 or 4 different form factors, and ultimately we decide what is a successful product they keep on the shelf, and what gets EOL. The real magic here for Nintendo is they can literally put out a console at a small profit and if it sells worse than the Wii U, it means absolutely nothing to them, they can drop it because there is no investment into a new platform.

For anyone that sees a "pro2" as completely breaking the Switch ecosystem because of performance differences between the current model (when docked) and this one, the GPU performance is about the same as the launch XB1 (1.228TFLOPs at launch) and the XB1X (6TFLOPs or about 5x more performance) Nintendo is free to do what they want with what the Switch is, and it's clear that Nvidia thinks this is what they are doing as well.
Kimishima once said he, Miyamoto and Iwata decided on the current Switch business model and the launch was followed as they planned, it wasn't after Iwata's death

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, "Kimishima changed Switch plans because he didn't like it" doesn't make any sense.
He became president of Nintendo in September 2015, Switch was unveiled in its final form a year later. That's not enough time to make drastic changes.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking Lite model this year and replacement for OG next year. I don't see Nintendo releasing both models at the same time.

Well if they had to move from 20nm and develop a new chip for the Lite, it's pretty safe to assume they would replace also the original model's hardware. It might still have the same form factor or even the same exact appearance, but it will have some significant changes either in performance or in battery life. I don't see them skipping the occasion to do even a slight redesign and market it as a New Switch.
Perhaps the confusion of the reports comes from this, it's not really a Pro version but a replacement of the current model, enhanced only because they had to move to the a new hardware node.
The "real" Pro or Switch 2 is still in the design process and likely years to come.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Well if they had to move from 20nm and develop a new chip for the Lite, it's pretty safe to assume they would replace also the original model's hardware. It might still have the same form factor or even the same exact appearance, but it will have some significant changes either in performance or in battery life.
Possibly also in cost of manufacture. Not so much for the SoC itself, but by being able to go to a smaller battery in the same form factor.

If true, it may make it reasonable to crack open a Switch and replace the factory battery with a larger one.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Kimishima once said he, Miyamoto and Iwata decided on the current Switch business model and the launch was followed as they planned, it wasn't after Iwata's death
Yeah, "Kimishima changed Switch plans because he didn't like it" doesn't make any sense.
He became president of Nintendo in September 2015, Switch was unveiled in its final form a year later. That's not enough time to make drastic changes.
The hybrid system was part of the design since late 2014, early 2015. It was reported by the WSJ in spring 2015 that not only had people seen the Nintendo NX demos that couldn't be run on anything less than the most powerful gaming pcs of the day, but that there was a console with a handheld component that could be used in conjunction with the console or used separately.

Thing is most of that paragraph was sourced by public reports, Nintendo employees in private and various insiders. I did mention that Kimishima decided to launch the hybrid model first and that the console was scrapped at that time was my speculation. I do know that sometime in 2015, the console component of the NX stopped development... It's also possible that the console was going to use a GTX 1060 and that that was what the Foxconn leak that talked about another device with a 200mm^2 die connected to another 100mm^2 die was about, the die he said was 12mm x 18mm which is the dimensions of the gtx 1060 as Thraktor had pointed out at the time.

What I know for a fact is that the NX console did exist in 2015 and that it no longer did at the beginning of 2016, if it was Iwata who closed development on the console, he did it between April and July, absolutely possible, but because of Kimishima's history of having a different business sense than Iwata, it does make sense that they launched with the hybrid model on his opinion that it would confuse consumers if they launched with both models, or simply they couldn't get the switch price down far enough to make it a handheld so they had to sell it as a console, I don't know the reason, just what I laid out.

Oct 25, 2017
The hybrid system was part of the design since late 2014, early 2015. It was reported by the WSJ in spring 2015 that not only had people seen the Nintendo NX demos that couldn't be run on anything less than the most powerful gaming pcs of the day, but that there was a console with a handheld component that could be used in conjunction with the console or used separately.

Thing is most of that paragraph was sourced by public reports, Nintendo employees in private and various insiders. I did mention that Kimishima decided to launch the hybrid model first and that the console was scrapped at that time was my speculation. I do know that sometime in 2015, the console component of the NX stopped development... It's also possible that the console was going to use a GTX 1060 and that that was what the Foxconn leak that talked about another device with a 200mm^2 die connected to another 100mm^2 die was about, the die he said was 12mm x 18mm which is the dimensions of the gtx 1060 as Thraktor had pointed out at the time.

What I know for a fact is that the NX console did exist in 2015 and that it no longer did at the beginning of 2016, if it was Iwata who closed development on the console, he did it between April and July, absolutely possible, but because of Kimishima's history of having a different business sense than Iwata, it does make sense that they launched with the hybrid model on his opinion that it would confuse consumers if they launched with both models, or simply they couldn't get the switch price down far enough to make it a handheld so they had to sell it as a console, I don't know the reason, just what I laid out.
My understanding on the initial report was that the switch had industry leading chips.
For 2017 mobile device, I'd say the switch fits that description.

Not entirely sure what Foxxcon would know about a switch system that was cancelled.

Might make more sense that these reports were misinterpreted and/or in accurate.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt the future Switch doesn't have a project lead. Nikkei's sources don't know who the project lead is, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding on the initial report was that the switch had industry leading chips.
For 2017 mobile device, I'd say the switch fits that description.

Not entirely sure what Foxxcon would know about a switch system that was cancelled.

Might make more sense that these reports were misinterpreted and/or in accurate.
That initial report as I linked in the post talked specifically about a console with a component that docked and could be removed to play games with the system or on its own away from the system.

The Foxconn leak is accurate, it's actually someone who worked there, measured a bunch of stuff and gave us a ton of accurate information, literally dozens of accurate separate pieces of info, from battery sizes, weigh of the unit and the Joycons separately, the Joycons having SL and SR buttons (first to report those names) and other crazy things we wouldn't know until later like the size and shape of the heat pipe, all before the switch was officially announced.

He also said there was a separate device with that specific die size. Why would it exist? Foxconn probably made the devkits for it, that's probably what it was, but that's my speculation. At this point we probably won't ever get more concrete info about these things, plans changed 4 years ago, so this is irrelevant now. Nintendo might bring back the console form factor to the Switch ecosystem, and if they want to address 4k gaming, they will need that form factor.

Dec 23, 2017

Not to say these people are wrong in any sense. Didn't WiiU have similar rumors about high end specs prior to launch? It maybe that Nintendo and I know this for a fact changes their mind so much.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surprised no one posted the front facing picture of that Switch Mini leak

9f510fb30f2442a70dfdcecadf43ad4bd01302e9.jpg
giphy.gif

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say these people are wrong in any sense. Didn't WiiU have similar rumors about high end specs prior to launch? It maybe that Nintendo and I know this for a fact changes their mind so much.
No, Wii U had a 2008 GPU powering a devkit that overheated, we never knew the clock of the GPU, we just knew that the GPU in the devkits could be clocked high enough to reach 1TFLOPs. They didn't change their mind during the Wii U development, it ended up using a 2008 GPU just as we thought, just much weaker than we had HOPED and some leakers had falsely reported, including a Nintendo employee who I later found out what he did at Nintendo and had no actual idea of the device.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one posted the front facing picture of that Switch Mini leak

9f510fb30f2442a70dfdcecadf43ad4bd01302e9.jpg

That would be a gorgeous device. I'm hoping this is how it will look, even if that leak turns out fake. If the performance is at least as good and still docks, I might have to get it. Detachable joycons really hasn't done anything for me thus far. I've never used table top mode, so this could be right up my alley.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so the rumours are all skewing towards a "switch-lite" now and not so much a "switch-pro" right?

there goes my excitment :/

vcoleiro1

Oct 30, 2017
Judging from the last report. It looks like the mini is confirmed and coming out this year. However, the Pro could have actually been the next gen Switch which by the last report seems some time away still

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging from the last report. It looks like the mini is confirmed and coming out this year. However, the Pro could have actually been the next gen Switch which by the last report seems some time away still
WSJ says that both are coming this year. I'm assuming that it means that the "Pro" is just a Lite with more features rather than a significant performance bump

vcoleiro1

Oct 30, 2017
WSJ says that both are coming this year. I'm assuming that it means that the "Pro" is just a Lite with more features rather than a significant performance bump

Yeah, both reports talk of a mini and a more powerfull Switch. But the second report says the more powerful unit is the next gen Switch which is is some time away. Could the WSJ have been confused about the Pro , ie is it really the next gen and not coming out this year like the mini. I guess that's the question I'm asking myself

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, both reports talk of a mini and a more powerfull Switch. But the second report says the more powerful unit is the next gen Switch which is is some time away. Could the WSJ have been confused about the Pro , ie is it really the next gen and not coming out this year like the mini. I guess that's the question I'm asking myself
I don't think they could confuse "system coming out this year" with "system that doesn't have a known lead yet". those are pretty far from each other

Dec 23, 2017
That would be a gorgeous device. I'm hoping this is how it will look, even if that leak turns out fake. If the performance is at least as good and still docks, I might have to get it. Detachable joycons really hasn't done anything for me thus far. I've never used table top mode, so this could be right up my alley.
Is that consider "kid proof" though? That part is confusing me.

veos

Apr 9, 2019
This seems pretty intriguing to me. Honestly, one of the reasons why I put off buying the Switch was the possibility of additional models being released, so I guess the wait was worth it in a way. Going to keep my eyes peeled for this.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Well if they had to move from 20nm and develop a new chip for the Lite, it's pretty safe to assume they would replace also the original model's hardware. It might still have the same form factor or even the same exact appearance, but it will have some significant changes either in performance or in battery life. I don't see them skipping the occasion to do even a slight redesign and market it as a New Switch.
Perhaps the confusion of the reports comes from this, it's not really a Pro version but a replacement of the current model, enhanced only because they had to move to the a new hardware node.
The "real" Pro or Switch 2 is still in the design process and likely years to come.

I agree, I only mean that the replacement to the OG (which people refer to as the pro) won't happen this year at the same time as the lite but next year so that it's easier to market without confusion between the models as the pro will have better performance than the lite (which will probably have the same performance as the OG switch). The change it's chips and any other improvements will go across the board but with a staggered release.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, I only mean that the replacement to the OG (which people refer to as the pro) won't happen this year at the same time as the lite but next year so that it's easier to market without confusion between the models as the pro will have better performance than the lite (which will probably have the same performance as the OG switch). The change it's chips and any other improvements will go across the board but with a staggered release.

If they are sitting on enough X1s or they managed to keep up the old production line at a bargain price I can see that to be a case.

At the same time, if they are firing up production of a new chipset it would be better to ramp up volumes as soon as possible and I'd imagine putting all their eggs in one basket makes more sense logistically and economically speaking.

I would bet on them launching Lite and maaaybe a small cost-cut on the original switch in summer, then replacing the original model with the "pro" in time for the holidays. Small redesign, new colors, improved battery life and/or improved undocked performance and it will sell as hotcakes!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think that a cheap model this year to benefit from animal crossing/Pokemon "casual" crowd then a "Pro" model next year for bayo 3/maybe Monster Hunter (I sure hope there will be one but who knows) is what makes the most sense financially.
I hope the "pro" will be something comparable to the new 3ds jump.

Oct 25, 2017
It was already heavily debated in here because it limits out-of-the-box (!) compatibility with some kid/family-oriented titles (mainly Super Mario Party & 1-2-Switch).

Some fear customer confusion (parents buy kid NSW mini/lite, kid cannot play those titles with family/parents), others said it is a personal device and thus does not need out-of-the-box compatibility with those titles (solution would be joy-con-bundles for titles that need them).

So, no, I would say it was not universally accepted, but maybe expected by the majority? I hope we do not have to discuss the topic again, it was running in circles.
I think it's near universally accepted but they acknowledge some extra work that'll need to go into those titles.

I don't think 1-2 Switch matters...like, at all.
Mario Party and it's sequels will, tho.
Simple solution would be to bundle Mario Party with some joy con.
Perhaps lower the price of them too, dunno

mJay

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's near universally accepted but they acknowledge some extra work that'll need to go into those titles.

I don't think 1-2 Switch matters...like, at all.
Mario Party and it's sequels will, tho.
Simple solution would be to bundle Mario Party with some joy con.
Perhaps lower the price of them too, dunno

It all comes down to the marketing and I bet there will be a title in the works (maybe Nintendoland 2?) which features asynchronous multiplayer gameplay, with as many players as have switches / switch minis. They can advertise the switch mini as a asynchronous controller for the switch platform in the first 15 secs and then, oh wait! It's it's own personal thing on the go too!

Oh imagine this! Kid on the buss designing a MM2 level. Gets home. And plays it with his dad in multiplayer mode but they don't have to be on the same screen cause they each have their own. Dad on tv with the Switch Pro and kid still holding his mini.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
If this thing is indeed called Switch "something", won't they have to specify what games it won't work with, such as Labo? Seems like if it is still called a Switch, then it would be confusing to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.