• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Nikkei is giving us a fall release window and WSJ said both this year, I think by E3 these models will be well into construction, I imagine we will start hearing Foxconn leaks over the next couple months. I'm thinking Animal Crossing is probably launching along side at least one of these models, possibly in September.

I also am curious if Nintendo has a new game to reveal at E3 for this year, I imagine we will see Bayonetta 3 there, but it would surprise me if we see nothing else announced for this year, even though it's already pretty packed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Nikkei is giving us a fall release window and WSJ said both this year, I think by E3 these models will be well into construction, I imagine we will start hearing Foxconn leaks over the next couple months. I'm thinking Animal Crossing is probably launching along side at least one of these models, possibly in September.

I also am curious if Nintendo has a new game to reveal at E3 for this year, I imagine we will see Bayonetta 3 there, but it would surprise me if we see nothing else announced for this year, even though it's already pretty packed.
I think the most likely release dates are:
  • With Mario Maker 2 (the start of the onslaught of titles coming throughout the rest of the year, biggest game till Animal Crossing)
  • Animal Crossing (a massive seller that's popular with the portable crowd)
  • With Pokemon (It's pokemon)

Feels like we've been hearing a lot about the lite model for it to not come out until a year after the reports started coming out, so presumably by september.

As for e3 reveals. They always have at least one surprise. Not sure about Bayonetta 3. Astral chains should be their Platinum Games focus, unless they can tie the two together "buy Astral chains, get a Bayo 3 demo" or something.
Seeing Animal crossing and new trailer for pokemon, link's awakening, luigi's Mansion, astral chain, and fire emblem should still be pretty good.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bayonetta 3 makes little sense to be at E3 with Astral Chain coming.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they would make a new product with those old chips to clear out remaining stock? Does that kind of thing make sense to do? Or would it be better to let the original switch use up the last of it?

My guess is they'll time the release of the new model(s) to arrive when stock of the original dries up. If we start seeing stock shortages of the current model, then that's a good indication that a revision's close.

Wasn't there a 1785mhz CPU clock in the switch firmware since day one? I remember the thread with the overclocked hacked systems had a video before version 7.0 where it showed that clock as an option, and they were all options based on the firmware. There is also the foxconn leak from october 2016 with the 1.8ghz clock, and a 921mhz GPU clock.

I seem to remember it as accessible by hackers but not by retail games, but I may be wrong. This post in the MK11 thread (which references this page on switchbrew.org) indicates that it's only been available to games since 7.0.0.

Also I don't see why they need 11nm to hit double performance, and 6xA75 at 2GHz is more like 3+ times more powerful than 4xA57 cores at 1GHz, to say nothing about the A55 cores you mention for the OS. Not that I disagree that they could do these things, just I don't know if they would go that route. With all current Switch units capable of running portable and docked at 1GHz CPU and 768MHz GPU, We've even seen hacked Switch units run 1.5GHz CPU and 921MHz GPU on the current 20nm Switch chips, so I don't think they even need 12nm to hit double performance really, but 12nm is a free upgrade from TSMC, so I don't think they would go with 16nm.

Samsung's 11nm process is pretty much part of the 16n/14nm/12nm class of processes and any of them should allow Nintendo to hit double the performance of the current Switch if they wished to. The reason I threw the Samsung 11nm process in there is that companies like Qualcomm have started using it for upper-mid-range mobile SoCs, so it probably has the sort of performance and cost characteristics which would make it suitable for Nintendo as well. That said, I wouldn't expect there to be more than a small difference (if any) between that and TSMC's 12nm process.

Regarding the docked clocks, I'm comparing against 1.8GHz on the current model, so yeah, 6x A75 would be more than 2x, but it was more of a "hey, what could we do with 6x A75 cores" rather than trying to hit precisely double performance.

This other thread you are referring to about switch docked cpu clockspeed upgrade. I searched for it and didn't find it. Does anyone have a link?

Oops, sorry about that. I was referring to this thread.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
My guess is they'll time the release of the new model(s) to arrive when stock of the original dries up. If we start seeing stock shortages of the current model, then that's a good indication that a revision's close.
meaning the old chips dry up with it?
I just don't see a reason to hold on to that process even especially in a mini revision...
I'm just wondering if you see any reason they would hold on to the TX1 design for any future revisions

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see how that affects Nintendo at all. Nintendo just needs to compete with itself to get it out before Pokémon. That's it.
The idea was probably to have the cheapest console out there.
At $199 (the presumed Switch lite price without a dock or anything) it'll probably be the same price as a ps4 ultra slim which isn't great. They'll be in the same spot they are now, perhaps even worse since switch lite will be a lesser value

Oct 27, 2017
The DS Lite comparison is nonsensical, if you ask me. There was no node shrink or any added features. Nintendo hasn't passed up a die shrink to add more performance, as we saw with the DSi and n3DS
It was a huge update to the abysmal form factor that the original DS had. The Switch could definitely use a similar makeover. Notably getting rid of those huge bezels and providing better controllers/buttons than what Joycons offer. Making it actually portable would also be welcome.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At $199 (the presumed Switch lite price without a dock or anything) it'll probably be the same price as a ps4 ultra slim which isn't great. They'll be in the same spot they are now, perhaps even worse since switch lite will be a lesser value
PS4 market has some saturation anyway. Many kids and families already own a PS4. But also many are still waiting for a cheaper Switch to play Pokémon. Portable is different.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nintendo has any issue with being in the "same spot they're in" tbh. They would still be the only dedicated handheld in town with a product price low enough to entice parents.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Just had a crazy thought.

What if the Switch Lite doesn't come with a dock because they managed to somehow integrate the WiiU's low latency game pad streaming tech in reverse and it's compatible with any modern smart TV via wifi or an app

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just had a crazy thought.

What if the Switch Lite doesn't come with a dock because they managed to somehow integrate the WiiU's low latency game pad streaming tech in reverse and it's compatible with any modern smart TV via wifi or an app

The low latency streaming only worked because the stream was 480p and was within 10foot of the console with a direct line of sight.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The new Switch has neutral buoyancy and water resistant for up to five hours in ten feet of water. It is called the DipSwitch.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, the current rumours suggest there won't be a more powerful model alongside the Switch "lite", or at least the "Pro" model isn't coming this year?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
That was maybe your idea, but I seriously doubt this was or is Nintendo's idea. Beyond our not knowing what the Lite's price point will be, the idea behind Lite is either to have a cheaper entry point into the Switch eco system and/or to have an even more portable Switch. neither of these has anything to do with having the cheapest console out there.

Last edited:

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
I really don't see a PS4 as a major part of the competition for a 200 USD Switch. The kids in my family are only talking about 3DS/iPad/Android phone/Switch - PS4 doesn't have family friendly software as a key part of its marketing strategy from what I've seen in stores.

Oct 25, 2017
While Nikkei did not confirm or deny, not mentioning it while also saying the lite is coming out later than expected should indicate that something is up.

Maybe update expectations with new information.
Lite and pro out this summer no longer seems realistic

Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible for Nikkei and WSJ's stories to both have everything correct, yes.
I still find the 'pro' talk odd when there aren't any outlets calling it a 'pro'.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible for Nikkei and WSJ's stories to both have everything correct, yes.
I still find the 'pro' talk odd when there aren't any outlets calling it a 'pro'.

There are no outlets calling anything a Mini either, these are just names people give the models.
WSJ reported two, a cheaper one and a unit with enhanced features for avid gamers.

Nikkei confirms the cheaper model exists then segues into talking about a full platform revision being in the works. There's debate if that is the same as the enhanced unit talked about in WSJ article or referencing a Switch 2, which should be in development in anycase if its coming out in the medium to long term 2021-2022 ish.

Oct 26, 2017
There are no outlets calling anything a Mini either, these are just names people give the models.
WSJ reported two, a cheaper one and a unit with enhanced features for avid gamers.

Nikkei confirms the cheaper model exists then segues into talking about a full platform revision being in the works. There's debate if that is the same as the enhanced unit talked about in WSJ article or referencing a Switch 2, which should be in development in anycase if its coming out in the medium to long term 2021-2022 ish.

The reason I find 'Pro' is contentious is because people read Nikkei's report and say 'that doesn't sound like the Pro!' because it doesn't fit whatever was in their imagination.

The WSJ author quotes his source as saying
'designs of new devices are "different from the original and you'd be surprised.'
None of us know what this means exactly, but sounds like the advanced model also won't resemble our current idea of the Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Nikkei did not confirm or deny, not mentioning it while also saying the lite is coming out later than expected should indicate that something is up.

Maybe update expectations with new information.
Lite and pro out this summer no longer seems realistic
Nikkei never said anything about the Lite coming later than expected

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 is already the same price as the Switch, the PS5 was officially in the news last week and sometime this year the PS5 will likely have a reveal, meanwhile the Switch is only in its third year and a $199 price point will accelerate sales, especially in Japan, because while the Switch will ultimately have sold 17 or 18 Million Switch units at $299 last FY, this year has a much stronger lineup with a $199 price point and a handheld focus device out by Pokémon's launch.

Playstation Slimest always comes out late in the cycle, but it isn't a handheld, and is on an out going platform, meant to push sales into a softer decline, while the new Switch models will boost sales of the Switch platform to new heights, very likely breaking the 20m sales number that has been reached yet this generation.

Oct 25, 2017

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
PS4Family will come to compete with Switch.

Super slim , sleek design with colorful faceplates for every member from mom to dad
Budget price
You can take it anywhere, to school, to friend houses, to your own home! Just needs a tv to plug in and enjoy playing
Comes packed with either Knack 2 or Ratchet and Clank

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017

I agree that some wires got crossed with all this "Pro" talk where everybody had in mind something similar to what Sony and MS did.

Both reports still make sense if you think we are going to have a "portable" version and "only" a slight redesign of the existing Switch, both powered by a new Tegra on a new process. Which likely means that the portable gets the same performance of the existing switch with no fan, and the redesigned one some new power profiles that developers may or may not want to use in the future and free resolution/battery life boosts for already existing games.

And those are the new features for "avid gamers" that got everybody thinking a "Pro" existed. Instead it won't be nowhere near the 2x/3x jump we are imagining, but just a solid and more future-proof upgrade. I mean, the idea that they would move to a new process just for the portable version without revamping also the OG switch at the same time or closely after doesn't make too much sense to me.

Last edited:

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
SOURCE: Bloomberg
Growth in the current period will get a boost from the launch of a new, cheaper version of the Switch, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss private plans. The new device will likely be launched by the end of June, according to one of the people. The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said.

I guess this lines up with some people's speculation; the revision will drop along side SMM2 (and no pro happening I guess)
EDIT: Misunderstood

Last edited:

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much do y'all think someone would sell a Switch tablet only (with AC adapter)

I'm currently using my gf's Switch, I take it to work every day to play Smash with my coworkers. We even all chipped in for a dock. I don't need joycons because we have a spare set from a Christmas gift

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I'm expecting the announcement to happen in the next few hours or days.

I knew the weren't giving details on Mario Maker cause they'll show the bundles with the revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.