• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Anxiously anticipating this proposed smaller model. I'm excited that I'll have a new system to take out of the house; I still love my 3DS but sometimes I want to play something fresh.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
SOURCE: Bloomberg

I guess this lines up with some people's speculation; the revision will drop along side SMM2 (and no pro happening I guess)
What does this mean? "The existing switch will receive a modest upgrade this year"

So we're supposedly getting the mini in just under 2 months, that's pretty cool.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
- ̗̀new ̖́- Nintendo Switch

Not a pro model like everyone kept talking about. Just a modest upgrade with slightly newer internal parts that improves efficiency and maybe more storage or something.
Thanks. I'd absolutely take a model with a majorly improved battery life, if anything that's what it *should* be if they're moving to a smaller process node.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
My guess is both models could launch in late June as well, I'm sure there will be people who want the whole thing alongside Mario Maker too, it's a massive game but I believe its audience is different from that of Animal Crossing, which would really benefit from the cheaper model

One of the new features in the new so-callled Pro model is some kind of integrated streaming service, would be great with Mario Maker

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I have literally zero interest in a mini.
If no pro, then no buy.

Even though the article states that there's a modest upgrade coming (which is definitely not the mini) I wonder what that is.

This also lines up with my expectations that we needed to hear about the revisions before E3 and the financial report. There's not a shot in hell they could make it past the financial meeting without answering questions about a revision we should hear something this week

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
meaning the old chips dry up with it?
I just don't see a reason to hold on to that process even especially in a mini revision...
I'm just wondering if you see any reason they would hold on to the TX1 design for any future revisions

Yeah, I'd expect the old chips to dry up with it. Or, more accurately, Nintendo would build enough current Switch models to use up their remaining orders of 20nm TX1s, and the new model(s) should be timed to arrive when they sell out.

Not a pro model like everyone kept talking about. Just a modest upgrade with slightly newer internal parts that improves efficiency and maybe more storage or something.

Well I think "Pro" was just the wording people were using for a model with any kind of performance enhancement, I don't think many were expecting Nintendo to market it in the same way as a PS4 Pro or XB1X. A "modest upgrade" is still quite vague. Most people would have described the new 3DS as a "modest upgrade", and that's how Nintendo marketed it, but it was quite a bit more capable than the original model in a number of ways. In any case I think this is the same device as the "enhanced" model described in the WSJ report.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
crossposting:
It's just saying no "Pro" model, but that there'll be a basic "modest" upgrade for the basic model instead (we'll see if it's like the DSi or the New 3DS).
It sounds more like they prefer to focus a more powerful model for next gen, which is a better idea tbh.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The one prediction I have that I feel comfortable with is that they're revising the dock to be something that's more like Nyko dock in form factor rather than the toaster. Toaster sucks and mini wouldn't be able to dock in it I don't think

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
WSJ said from the very beginning the upgrade wouldn't be like what Sony did with the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, that is, focusing on power. Most part of the upgrade will come from new functions like integrated streaming, chat voice, they could bundle the charging Joy-Con grip and so on.

Dec 23, 2017

Guess I'm waiting on Switch 2. Sucks but unless this mini has a big boost in performance which I doubt than I will just stay with OG until the next switch is released.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The one prediction I have that I feel comfortable with is that they're revising the dock to be something that's more like Nyko dock in form factor rather than the toaster. Toaster sucks and mini wouldn't be able to dock in it I don't think
That sounds too fragile for kids

If the Mini is really the Mini some people here speculate on then I don't see why it should dock. Why dock it when you won't be able to play with it?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People here don't seem to get that the Mini will be to attract kids, just like the "Pro" wasn't supposed to be some X-tier evolution either.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Even having docked quality on the handheld is a pretty big upgrade for me. You really can feel the difference in some games.

Oct 25, 2017
Even having docked quality on the handheld is a pretty big upgrade for me. You really can feel the difference in some games.
It would be a pretty substantial upgrade that should be pretty easy/doable. Even in a switch lite, I'd presume. Maybe the reports of a "not a big leap" and a switch pro were mixed with this idea

Or, maybe the thing replacing switch at $299 is a more powerful unit, but it's using the same internals as a lite. Better equipped to handle the heat so you can play docked mode on the go.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said before that a "pro" could always mean "whatever the lite is but more features".

I still believe there's gonna be some performance enhancements though. Nintendo knows the pains of the bottlenecks as their own devs are hitting them (like Xenoblade)

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I said before that a "pro" could always mean "whatever the lite is but more features".

I still believe there's gonna be some performance enhancements though. Nintendo knows the pains of the bottlenecks as their own devs are hitting them (like Xenoblade)
Yeah, I've always believed the Lite is simply the New Switch in a dockless bundle and made with cheaper materials as well as less storage and so on, without including the new features the "Pro/New" model will have.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Would be weird if Lite model had a new chip, slightly better handheld performance, better build and Joy-Cons, Bluetooth connectivity, better Wi-Fi and "core" users had to stay for a few months with the older model, lacking of all this new stuff. Makes more sense to release both at same time.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
It's nice that these theories aren't outlandish. MM2 bundle seems very likely and it's exciting that we could get an announcement of the lite/revision very very soon.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
People here don't seem to get that the Mini will be to attract kids, just like the "Pro" wasn't supposed to be some X-tier evolution either.

People are hoping (myself included), that the mini will be priced attractively, but isn't blatantly marketed "for kids."

I'm pretty sure it's not an uncommon idea that kid's don't necessarily want things that are clearly branded for kids. The Switch already attracts kids, the price however doesn't attract parents. The right approach for a mini would be a slick looking device that happens to be sturdy and hits a more appealing price point.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017

You're most likely right

Yeah, that'd actually line up pretty well with TSMC's 20nm production dropping about 75% over the course of 2018 as well.

About Nintendo running out of OG Switches... does this mean a new SoC for the new hardware? (I'm not asking about power level, just if it should be newer chips)

Yes, a new SoC is pretty much guaranteed (even aside from these reports we've seen references to a new "Mariko" SoC in Switch firmware for about a year now). Whether it's basically a die shrink or something more powerful is a different matter, though.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
I think we're going to get a YouTube video detailing a cheaper model of the Switch sometime in May. I think later in the year they'll do minor upgrades to the normal switch. maybe less bezel, better battery, different color backplates?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
SOURCE: Bloomberg

I guess this lines up with some people's speculation; the revision will drop along side SMM2 (and no pro happening I guess)
EDIT: Misunderstood
What the hell is this rumor even?

The June part lines up with what WSJ said about possibly launching during the summer, but seems to contradict Nikkei saying the Switch Lite will launch in the fall, although supposedly the source is just one person.

Once again the "Pro" rumors continue to get more convoluted. "The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year" What does this mean? A redesign? A clock boost for the current Switch? Is this what the supposed "Pro" rumors were referring to?

I think I'm done with the speculation until we get actual concrete info since these rumors are a mess.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year" What does this mean? A redesign? A clock boost for the current Switch? Is this what the supposed "Pro" rumors were referring to?
The pro is the "modest upgrade" or "enhanced model" or 'New' 3DS-esque model (whatever you want to call it)

as other's have said expect something like a New 3DS

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The pro is the "modest upgrade" or "enhanced model" or 'New' 3DS-esque model (whatever you want to call it)

as other's have said expect something like a New 3DS
But the phrasing of the "existing Switch" makes it sound even more modest of an "upgrade" than the new 3DS, which is a more powerful model. That makes it sound to me like a DS Lite/GBA SP/3DSXL/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Light.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What the enhanced version be 64GB of internal storage and some basic internal tweaks to reduce cost.

Unless you only play handheld I don't think a mini would be worth it because even at $100 less the cost of a dock+controller would cost you most than a standard switch.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Nvidia is rumored to come out with a successor to the Nvidia shield this year. Source code shows that it's has a 13.inch screen (much like a tablet), and 3 modes that include dynamic and desktop like mode. And something about the next shield originally going to be using X2 chip, but may have moved on using Xavier and will complete with other tablets on the market.

https://www.xda-developers.com/nvidia-desktop-experience-shield-tablet-2019/

It's possible that the next switch is using the same chip or similar to Shield's successor, like switch using the same tegra x1 chip as the Nvidia shield. Read from the link below for more info

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is rumored to come out with a successor to the Nvidia shield this year. Source code shows that it's has a 13.inch screen (much like a tablet), and 3 modes that include dynamic and desktop like mode. And something about the next shield originally going to be using X2 chip, but may have moved on using Xavier and will complete with other tablets on the market.

https://www.xda-developers.com/nvidia-desktop-experience-shield-tablet-2019/

It's possible that the next switch is using the same chip or similar to Shield's successor, like switch using the same tegra x1 chip as the Nvidia shield. Read from the link below for more info
Unless Xavier went through a redesign to remove the Caramel cores, I think we can rule that out

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
A die shrink of Tegra X1 for a "modest upgrade" isn't a bad choice tbh. Based on Tegra X2, X1 on 12nm it should have no problem hitting that 1.8ghz cpu clock and it could hit 1.6ghz on the gpu side when docked for 800gflops if they choose to go that high.

The RAM bandwidth being doubled would be nice, and changing the CPU to allow access to the A53 cores on die while using the A57 cores would seriously improve performance across the board.

I think we just don't have enough information right now because these are all relative words, they probably mean different things to the people saying them than to those listening.

Dec 23, 2017
A die shrink of Tegra X1 for a "modest upgrade" isn't a bad choice tbh. Based on Tegra X2, X1 on 12nm it should have no problem hitting that 1.8ghz cpu clock and it could hit 1.6ghz on the gpu side when docked for 800gflops if they choose to go that high.

The RAM bandwidth being doubled would be nice, and changing the CPU to allow access to the A53 cores on die while using the A57 cores would seriously improve performance across the board.

I think we just don't have enough information right now because these are all relative words, they probably mean different things to the people saying them than to those listening.
I would be okay with this as a revision and use the next custom for switch 2.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017

Yes, I think a dock redesign to accommodate both models (maybe with charging rails for joy-cons) is a given, and between that and a joy-conless design for the portable I think we have a hint of the "surprising design" of the original report.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with this as a revision and use the next custom for switch 2.
We still don't know for sure what Mariko is, using a Tegra X2 for early devkits last year and switching to Mariko is where the trail ends. Though at that point it was leaked that the CPU had changed when it moved to Mariko, problem is, very few devs have the new chip and if they do have it, they might not know it, since certain clocks and whatnot could be turned on with firmware updates like we see with 7.0...

While Tegra X1 being shrunken would work, it isn't that much more work to move to new architecture, the Tegra Nano still being a 20nm part in fact does go against the idea that they would have shrunk X1, since a nano would benefit heavily from using the same chip and a future Nintendo Switch, which leads me to believe that Mariko is more custom than just a more efficient X1.

I guess I'm just saying I don't really know what is going on with the modest upgrade, but a mini should tell us a lot about the other model, though they might be announced at the same time.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Make the Lite a TX1 on 12nm. Shrink the unit but remove the bezels so the screen actually gets bigger. Make it one unit with no joycon rails. Add a dpad. Make the face buttons the size of the Pro face buttons.

This particular device will be for the single player gamers who don't want to share joycons.

I'll be in day one. The battery life increase will be insane or they could do a modest boost in clock speeds and get minor performance increases.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Don't think they'd invest in having a handheld only, cheaper switch only for things to not get notably better
Neither PS4 nor Switch has to undercut the other to reach a new market at 200 and do notably better.
Guess I'm waiting on Switch 2. Sucks but unless this mini has a big boost in performance which I doubt than I will just stay with OG until the next switch is released.
No matter how many years you wait, whatever is the portable/hybrid option will seem as behind the times compared to a non-portable option as the Switch has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.