• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if that enhanced Switch is still happening. The source that came with that rumor isn't the same as the one that came with the Mini rumor, right? I'd love to see a much more powerful Switch and have games like Xenoblade enhanced for it too.
im guessing the Pro will be next year

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yep, agreed... do you think they need to release it before Sony and Microsoft's new hardware drop? It didn't seem to matter for the Switch coming out after the PS4 and XB1, but expectations could be different this time around since the Switch doesn't have that brand-new/fresh appeal like they did 2.5 years ago. 2020 gonna be so interesting. :)

I could totally see them announce the enhanced Switch just like they did it with the Lite. Announce it out of nowhere sometime in July 2020 and launch it either on september/october and have some spotlight for them before all the hype goes towards PS5/X2 on november. Heck I can see BOTW 2 to be the title to showcase the capabilities of the enhanced Switch too! next year is gonna be pure hype with new hardware from the big 3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a question. If the enhanced Switch really launches next year, are we expecting it to be early? Or in the holiday season to compete with PS5/Scarlet?

I ask because we have all been assuming it'll use the same more efficient chip as the Lite Switch, and if they are being manufactured together that makes a lot of sense. But if it's really launching over a year later couldn't they have access to much better technology?

From the site
.55" deep (with Joy-Con attached)

That's talking about all of the dimensions.

4" high, 9.4" long, .55" deep (with Joy-Con attached)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So here's a question. If the enhanced Switch really launches next year, are we expecting it to be early? Or in the holiday season to compete with PS5/Scarlet?

I ask because we have all been assuming it'll use the same more efficient chip as the Lite Switch, and if they are being manufactured together that makes a lot of sense. But if it's really launching over a year later couldn't they have access to much better technology?

That's talking about all of the dimensions.
Correct. The site doesn't give the actual thick ness of the Lite vs flagship

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Maybe it doesn't support docked mode because it has a smaller fan that can't properly cool at higher speeds.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I could totally see them announce the enhanced Switch just like they did it with the Lite. Announce it out of nowhere sometime in July 2020 and launch it either on september/october and have some spotlight for them before all the hype goes towards PS5/X2 on november. Heck I can see BOTW 2 to be the title to showcase the capabilities of the enhanced Switch too! next year is gonna be pure hype with new hardware from the big 3.
Ooh, good point about Zelda timing! I'm exciting just thinking about what's going to be happening next year. :)

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
It's behind a paywall, is there any suggestion or indication in there that Doug Bowser said the Lite will be the only new Switch this year?
The Lite isn't a sequel to the Switch. It's more of a lower-cost spin-off. It'll also be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now. But maybe that's exactly what's needed. At the least, it's finally a lower-priced Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. The site doesn't give the actual thick ness of the Lite vs flagship

...yes it does. The joycons add no thickness as far as I'm aware, they only add length. Both the original and Lite are 0.55 inches thick.

What BBQ said. I was asking if the WSJ article made any mention of the Bowser comment reported by CNET. So far we've only seen them report it and nobody else.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
It's behind a paywall, is there any suggestion or indication in there that Doug Bowser said the Lite will be the only new Switch this year?

Unfortunately, what I bolded was the only thing mentioned about a more powerful Switch. Apparently, Bowser only said Switch Lite is the only new hardware this year. Since this has been rumored for quite some time, I would expect the more powerful one coming in 2020.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, what I bolded was the only thing mentioned about a more powerful Switch. Apparently, Bowser only said Switch Lite is the only new hardware this year. Since this has been rumored for quite some time, I would expect the more powerful one coming in 2020.

So nothing but "source familiar with" and no launch window speculation/rumors?

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I read on other forums that people rather wanted a better grip like this one:
a03f1a6e3ab2189c05422d5e133b84f5.jpg

Would this kind of grip been a better choice?
I'd bite. I don't play Switch portable because it's the most uncomfortable "portable" I've ever played...and I have small hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to ask Nintendo if lite will get TV play in future. They left the docking pins there. That's an extra step in manufacturing that is unnecessary if you're going to never let it dock. You don't need them for USBC charging.

My guess is they come out with a smaller dock that fits all models in 2020

Do you guys think the Switch Lite still having dock pins is thread worthy? I've never made a thread so idk if I should. Seems like it's more likely that it will support docking at some point than the rumors of a Pro model since we literally have shots of the pins on the unit.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was thinking the same botw2 with switch pro. Maybe prime 4

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If all 3 models are being manufactured pro isnt a July 2020 release. WSJ who was right about the lite reported this so they either got a wired detail wrong on pro of we don't know everything yet

I think CNET was told what they needed to know. But there's a subset of people who really only want the lite to launch this year so it's confirmation bias

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
...yes it does. The joycons add no thickness as far as I'm aware, they only add length. Both the original and Lite are 0.55 inches thick.

What BBQ said. I was asking if the WSJ article made any mention of the Bowser comment reported by CNET. So far we've only seen them report it and nobody else.
You may be right as I don't have a switch or a.ruler on me

My impression there is it included the joycon grip/bumpers that make the switch sit an an angle.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why haven't we gotten insider comments on the Pro. :( That CNET interview is killing me.
Same here, I would like some new comments on the enhanced switch

Insiders could talk about it before the switch lite was announced no reason they can't talk about it now after the lite was announced

It's like everything went silent on the enhanced switch 3 weeks ago

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It might be of interest but Julien Chieze said a few months back that the Mini would come this Summer in three colors at launch.

He was the first to say that there will be three colors at launch. So he might have a good source on this.

His source just told him that the enhanced model was indeed coming. It will notably use a Cloud computing solution which will make a lot of AAA games more easily feasible on Switch. He mentionned 20 AAA games currently in the porting process.
Now, it won't be ready for this year but is coming in the following months.

I know some people wanted an update so there it is. Regardless of whether it is true or not, I find this rumor very interesting and it does line up with some Nintendo patent.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty incredible seeing this Lite announcement causing more talk towards the Switch Pro than the Switch Lite itself on social media and forums.

I think the latest they can release the Switch Pro is summer 2020, any later and they go into direct competition with next-gen console launch, which I can't remember the last time Nintendo has done such a thing.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It might be of interest but Julien Chieze said a few months back that the Mini would come this Summer in three colors at launch.

He was the first to say that there will be three colors at launch. So he might have a good source on this.

His source just told him that the enhanced model was indeed coming. It will notably use a Cloud computing solution which will make a lot of AAA games more easily feasible on Switch. He mentionned 20 AAA games currently in the porting process.

I know some people wanted an update so there it is. Regardless of whether it is true or not, I find this rumor very interesting and it does line up with some Nintendo patent.
Hard to believe Nintendo will do anything with cloud, only way I see that happening is if they partner with google or microsoft

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

So this?

Ice Wheels

Jul 10, 2019
Any word on the weight of the Switch Lite?

Gotta admit, I feel like my New 3DS feels heavier than my Switch, and I wouldn't mind some more additional 'bulk' to the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.