• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Hoho my body is ready.

I can see a summer announcement at E3, but a release at summer woukd be insane and really short notice. If we get two models announced, I could see a Q4 release and a lite and pro version, both using 12nm nodes.

Lite version would take advantage of animal crossing and Pokemon Gen 8 releases. Have smaller bezels and a much better battery life.

Pro will likely be a hybrid still and it could be as powerful as an xbone at near 1TFLOP in docked mode. 2.5x more powerful than current switch would be the same power gap between handheld and docked mode and between docked Switch and pro switch, and it would allow pro handheld mode to be as powerful as current docked switch. They are probably better off with a 720o screen though. Of course, I wouldn't mind if Pro was a home console. More power, the better. And of course the pro mode would show off games like dragon quest 11, Bayonetta 3, etc.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
So if Pro - Original - Lite..What do you think the prices will be? Will Switch get a price cut?

$350, $300, $250?

or

$350, $250, $200?

or

$300, $250, $200?

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting your timelines from? Don't spread your own conjecture as misinformation. The insider article states that they suspect the announcement to happen at E3 and releases a few months later. None of this 2020 nonesense you're peddling and obfuscating this thread with.

Chill man, read again. He said he doesn't expect the enhanced version to be a more powerful one, and that he expects a more powerful one next year.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm good with the Switch I've got now but interested in how much stronger the premium model is compared to base PS4.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pro will be Switch with higher clocks and no bezel
Mini will be a clamshell that is also its own dock (you just close it and plug in the hdmi-mini)

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the more powerful version has joy cons that aren't fucking cramped for adult male hands.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
From a 3DS perspective, it sounds like one is the NEW 3DS, and the cheaper model is the 2DS
Trouble is, the enhanced power of the New 3DS was taken full advantage of but a handful of times:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
  • Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Minecraft
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • SNES emulation
Hopefully, if they did indeed make a "Premium" SKU, implementation would more closely follow the One X/PS4 Pro standard of general enhancements across a majority of AAA titles. Otherwise, it would just be another, "That's nice, but..."

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
up the quality of the joycons, add 25% more battery life, and a bezel free screen (current switch has pretty big bezels).
win

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the enhanced one won't be about more power. I think it will be new hardware features like better battery life, Bluetooth audio etc.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
So if Pro - Original - Lite..What do you think the prices will be? Will Switch get a price cut?

$350, $300, $250?

or

$350, $250, $200?

or

$300, $250, $200?
lite isn't going to be cheaper than original, unless it's missing a decent amount of features. I think besides better battery life, it will have equal or enhanced features. Usually for stripped down versions, it's comes near the end of the console cycle, not Midway.

For original, lite, and pro, I could see $250, 300, 350. I do think lite will eventually replace original, but I don't see original Switch dropping more than $50 in price, especially if it continues selling well.

Edit: after reading the article, who knows. Some kind of handheld focused variant is likely to take advantage of Pokemon at least. I wonder if Nintendo would pull a cheaper model so quickly though like the 2ds.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Hmmm... depending on the price I could get the portable one, since I oftentimes use my switch in handheld mode (Main switch would of course, be for smash).

Don't care about the premium one unless it has enhanced internal memory.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I dont think "switch pro" will be any major/ significant upgrade from Vanilla model.
1) it will once again split their resources in house
2) on the hypothetical case its close to PS4 Vanilla on specs and that entice more 3rd party ports. that will "force consumers" to buy Pro S for 3rd party or stick to Vanilla or Lite for Nintendo Machine

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming they'll let me share my digital library between multiple units, I'm okay with a dedicated home Switch and a dedicated pocket Switch. I miss carrying around a handheld game thing.

the pocket switch should have streetpass again, just saying

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

$350, $300, $250?

or

$350, $250, $200?

or

$300, $250, $200?

I think the "Pro" would replace the existing model at $299. I think they'd rather stick to a two-tier line-up.

Keep in mind that "enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers" is intentionally vague. It could be as simple as a bigger screen on the same body and more battery life. I'd caution people to avoid assuming that this means we'll get a more powerful "Switch Pro" this summer.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
"different from the original and you'd be surprised"
"The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device "

I'm thinking one of them is a clamshell.
Assuming non-removable Joy-Cons (still don't get how that's going to work for games that require detached Joy-Cons) they could do a GBA SP-style form factor, with controls below, screen above.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is enhanced has has the current models
Assuming non-removable Joy-Cons (still don't get how that's going to work for games that require detached Joy-Cons) they could do a GBA SP-style form factor, with controls below, screen above.
The article says more like the Vita.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm really curious about how much of an upgrade the "enhanced" version might be. Some comments about it really don't make it sound like the "Pro" upgrade that I was hoping for.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Depending on how much more portable the lite version is (hopefully jeans-pocketable), and how much meatier the pro version is, I might just end up buying both.
If they reduce the resolution of lite version to 480p, it will likely not need a fan, and that's already about 40% space being freed.

OP
OP

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
This is speculation and conjecture on my part, but this supports my running theory of one more Nintendo Direct pre-E3 to announce the machines and the game(s) it'll release with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they put them out in June and have it out the same day as Mario Maker 2. But even then, they've got a few games for the summer that can help tie it in: Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, MM2 like I said and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The article says more like the Vita.

The article says you would be wrong to think of it like the VIta.

My guess is joycons will still be a thing, but the form factor will be slighter and there will be no dock - only a charging cable. As for the pro, beefier hardware in both handheld and dock allowing for better performance.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Pro model is actually a substantial increase in compute power. I expect a larger battery and some quality of life improvements like improved ergonomics and better screen for sure, but if there's actually compute power improvements this early on in the platforms cycle, I'll be really excited personally.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A clamshell mini-Switch would be worth double dipping for. I don't have much interest in a more powerful version, especially when I doubt 99% of games will take advantage of it. I stuck with my original 2011 3DS until the New 2DS XL came out 6 years later, and aside from some faster loading, there's been nothing the better power capitalized on.

EDIT: Better battery power on the pro would be nice, but the model itself would probably be bigger and that sorta defeats the purpose of portability.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the "pro" version will replace the regular version and be more of a slim type update with only slightly better processor, more of an Xbox One to One S update? I don't expect a PS4 -> PS4 Pro leap, perhaps smaller bezels and a larger battery/more efficient processor (but not much faster).

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
why's the article mentioning xbox X or PS4 Pro lol

much more curious how it compares to the Xbox One.

eridanus

Nov 12, 2017
"You would be wrong to think the enhanced version is similar to what Sony did with PS4 Pro and the other is just a cheap alternative that looks very similar to some past hand-held machines, say, Sony's PlayStation Vita," one person who has used the new devices said. The Switch is a hybrid device that can be played either as a hand-held unit or connected to a larger screen.

"The company judged the new Switch models won't need the vibration feature because there wouldn't be many games released using the full benefit of it," one official familiar with the plans said.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Both at the same time? Damn, guess Nintendo is unleashing the hounds and the kraken.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm most interested in what the pro would entail. I'm living in the PC + Switch world now, so I'd need to see what it brings that my current Switch can't. High end stuff will stay on PC.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was saying two models for a while, was hoping they'd be in the same year, good to know that's the case. Totally in for the enhanced Switch.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Hmmmm, what if the 'Pro' model is more akin to a home console whilst the mini is the handheld version? So you would have 3 models on the market

PRO - Home Console
Current model - Home/handheld hybrid
Mini - Handheld Console

I would personally hate that as I want a Pro but I play predominantly in handheld mode.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This report says the pro and cheaper one are both out this summer.
I know what the reports says - I don't think it's likely though.

Though I was hoping Nintendo would introduce hardware upgrades every 2 years with the Switch - didnt expect them to follow through on it.

Where are you getting your timelines from? Don't spread your own conjecture as misinformation. The insider article states that they suspect the announcement to happen at E3 and releases a few months later. None of this 2020 nonesense you're peddling and obfuscating this thread with.
Don't forget to breathe.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Unfortunately I'm half expecting Nintendo to botch one or both models.
Remember the GBA SP not having a headphone jack? That kind of thing. A missing feature that will require some adapter for the sake of size/costs/form factor. The cheaper model being the perfect candidate for this.

I'm also half expecting Nintendo dropping HD rumble because, let's be serious, it's the usual gimmicky feature only them know and want to use to its fullest. Too many games on Switch have awful, awful rumble.

I'm mostly worried about compatibility of games and Labo between models, but going into 2020 it's absolutely inevitable for Nintendo to make more powerful hardware. The power gap is tremendous as it is already

Status
Not open for further replies.