• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The original post has been deleted. I am looking at it for flaws, it's not just about what was expected, but about the small differences that say a lot more, nothing about this leak is forced or familiar enough to be easily dismissed. Even the colored shell looks exactly like something Nintendo would want to have on shelves.

I think it's real, the no change in cpu isn't really a big deal, because this is the cheaper model, we were looking at the pro model as having new performance, but there is over 35 million current Switch units, a mini Switch with the same chip as that one doesn't change the dynamics for developers.

From everything I know, last year things changed for the switch pro, it was using a Tegra X2 that was overclocked, moved to a custom chip with a new CPU and dropped off the face of the earth, external devs still don't have it and while a boost to games is possible without their knowledge of the device, it is weird that no one has seen it yet.

7 or 8 months ago, things changed, it became unclear if the pro was going to release this year or if it was being moved to another year... What I know is that a year ago, the Switch pro was about twice the current Switch and expected to release this holiday season, as had been the plan for over the past two years. 3DS didn't sell well enough and plans changed, the mini is now coming out this year among a sea of high selling IPs, many of which target Japan directly.

Now that Nintendo and Nvidia know they have a hit on their hands, they are releasing a low cost update for entry level sales, the current model will have to stick around until this new switch premium model is released. Plans have changed from last year, and that doesn't mean that the pro got weaker, it makes a lot of sense to simply release a new model that can manage next gen development, even if it's not coming out until 2021.

Also, they had to have shrunk the Tegra X1, that means that the docked performance is on the table for this device as well as the current model, it has multiple vents, meaning air circulation, it still docks, so it will need to cool the device while charging the battery, all of this points to a fan, it doesn't even look thinner, if you look at the triggers, the mold isn't any more protruded than the current Joycons do, meaning the button thickness is almost certainly the same. This is just the current Switch with no Joycons, and a longer battery life as all reports I've heard is that Nintendo was nudged off 20nm.
I'm sure Nintendo knew what they were going to release this year long before Nintendo 3DS sales shrinked.

Also, both Eurogamer and WSJ reported just a few weeks ago that an upgraded Switch is coming, with the former reporting the cheaper model isn't a traditional handheld like the Vita, which is what this chinese leak would indicate.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I don't see it in that medium link posted. Just that the mini would come out in the fall. Where are people getting that switch pro is coming out next year??I Itcould release this summer for all we know
They updated the article.

Also really disappointing what zombie is saying. Now that it seemes more and more likely that it will be at least 2020, I might just buy the standard console the first sale I find, and trade it in once the pro will be released. I'll think about it.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I don't see it in that medium link posted. Just that the mini would come out in the fall. Where are people getting that switch pro is coming out next year??I Itcould release this summer for all we know

The Pro/"Enhanced" model was delayed/postponed. So its possible may be till next year or later. It's in the Nikkei article itself which talks about it

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Have we seen those games tho? Mario Maker looks like it's going to get a lot of focus on co-op, which could imply a big use of the joy-cons for local couch co-op. I wouldn't be surprised if Animal Crossing got the same treatement.

...or two handhelds next to each other like 3DS-style.

I mean, if this is in production right now, its gonna be timed with Mario Maker in June, IMO.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Nintendo knew what they were going to release this year long before Nintendo 3DS sales shrinked.

Also, both Eurogamer and WSJ reported just a few weeks ago that an upgraded Switch is coming, with the former reporting the cheaper model isn't a traditional handheld like the Vita, which is what this chinese leak would indicate.
shoichi's comment
The Pro/"Enhanced" model was delayed. It's in the Nikkei article itself which talks about it
A lot of things get decided in April, April 2018 might have decided to put out this Switch mini, and April 2019 might have decided to delay / skip the midgen refresh, there was always another one coming, from everything I know, it could be moved up a year to 2021, the year after next gen starts with a much more powerful Switch than we were expecting.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been mentioned already but having an 'undockable' Switch kind of defeats the purpose of the thing in the first place doesn't it?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the "Pro" is getting delayed to prep for the next gen of PS and Xbox consoles. It would seem to line up with the recent Nintendo hirings seemingly related to new hardware, which seemed strange if new hardware was only a few months away.

Also, I'm going with #TeamFake for the shell leak. It looks like it could be real, but too many details on closer inspection just don't seem to make sense to me.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
shoichi's comment

A lot of things get decided in April, April 2018 might have decided to put out this Switch mini, and April 2019 might have decided to delay / skip the midgen refresh, there was always another one coming, from everything I know, it could be moved up a year to 2021, the year after next gen starts with a much more powerful Switch than we were expecting.
WSJ sources were software developers who have already used the new models as well a suppliers and manufacturers. I don't see why plans should have suddenly changed this month.

Would be weird if the cheaper model aimed at kids and casuals actually improved on the more expensive "premium" model in the market.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
WSJ sources were software developers who have already used the new models as well a suppliers and manufacturers. I don't see why plans should have suddenly changed this month.

Would be weird if the cheaper model aimed at kids and casuals actually improved on the more expensive "premium" model in the market.
Lots has changed, switch is selling surprisingly higher yoy than expected this quarter, a focus on the mini model and a strong push for Japan might be all they are after, as sales should continue up yoy.

Also, they have new business allies and might simply be positioning a better product in a shorter window than previously planned. I think the 2022 model I keep speculating on, could be moved a year sooner, and allow Nintendo to get a next gen switch that can receive those next gen ports a year sooner. They've pretty much have this year and next year alone on the market anyways.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Lots has changed, switch is selling surprisingly higher yoy than expected this quarter, a focus on the mini model and a strong push for Japan might be all they are after, as sales should continue up yoy.

Also, they have new business allies and might simply be positioning a better product in a shorter window than previously planned. I think the 2022 model I keep speculating on, could be moved a year sooner, and allow Nintendo to get a next gen switch that can receive those next gen ports a year sooner. They've pretty much have this year and next year alone on the market anyways.
I really doubt Switch won't get a revision till 2022 or 2021 but we'll see I guess

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt Switch won't get a revision till 2022 or 2021 but we'll see I guess
The switch lite is a revision... I'm just adjusting to the new article from nikkei, it specifically says the pro is delayed, that could absolutely mean they skip the 12nm model for the planned 7nm+ and put that one out a year earlier.

I actually think that picture is probably real, the closer you look, the more it seems effortless, there is nothing forced about it. Even the color is uniquely Nintendo, and the design isn't janky at all, it all makes perfect sense, the only negative is that the model number might be listed as HAC-001, but it's too blurry to make out for me, someone needs to use their RTX card to 4k that image.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

At that point (2022) I'd think it's less of a revision and more of a next iteration - slowly phasing our their own support for new releases on the previous iteration, and allowing third parties to develop for it exclusively.

2020 was soon enough that it could have been a "Pro" model for the current Switch, but by 2022 we'll be in the thick of next gen for the competitors, and Nintendo will be needing to bump up their own minimum spec.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
At that point (2022) I'd think it's less of a revision and more of a next iteration - slowly phasing our their own support for new releases on the previous iteration, and allowing third parties to develop for it exclusively.

2020 was soon enough that it could have been a "Pro" model for the current Switch, but by 2022 we'll be in the thick of next gen for the competitors, and Nintendo will be needing to bump up their own minimum spec.
That's why a holiday 2021 launch is perfect, it's 4 and a half years after the current Switch but can offer exclusives and next gen ports, they can even "unlock" the current Switch next year to the full 400gflops, including this lite model if it indeed has vents and a fan, allowing for more ports and doubling the minimum performance level.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's why a holiday 2021 launch is perfect, it's 4 and a half years after the current Switch but can offer exclusives and next gen ports, they can even "unlock" the current Switch next year to the full 400gflops, including this lite model if it indeed has vents and a fan, allowing for more ports and doubling the minimum performance level.
So they are still going to use the 20nm X1 for 2 years and a half ? Wouldn't it be impratical ?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've been sitting on my Switch savings for months since hearing the rumours about a Pro model so I'm gonna be fucking frustrated if they push it out to next year.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The switch lite is a revision... I'm just adjusting to the new article from nikkei, it specifically says the pro is delayed, that could absolutely mean they skip the 12nm model for the planned 7nm+ and put that one out a year earlier.

I actually think that picture is probably real, the closer you look, the more it seems effortless, there is nothing forced about it. Even the color is uniquely Nintendo, and the design isn't janky at all, it all makes perfect sense, the only negative is that the model number might be listed as HAC-001, but it's too blurry to make out for me, someone needs to use their RTX card to 4k that image.
A Switch Lite is a revision, a Switch Mini isn't. It's not just about performance, I really doubt Nintendo will keep the current Switch around that longer, with its crappy Wi-Fi, materials worn out two year after release, lots of joy-cons with problems, it may be just me but the Switch doesn't feel like some premium NIntendo device in my hands just like the latest 3DS itinerations do for example.

Nikkei article says nothing about plans changing this month and so on.

And that model number is HAC-001

3Nud6aD.png

It isn't MAC as you can compare with the M from MOD.

A 2022 release would contradict Nintendo's past statements about wanting to extend Switch's life

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So they are still going to use the 20nm X1 for 2 years and a half ? Wouldn't it be impratical ?
they could shrink the Tegra X1 to 16nm.
A Switch Lite is a revision, a Switch Mini isn't. It's not just about performance, I really doubt Nintendo will keep the current Switch around that longer, with its crappy Wi-Fi, materials worn out two year after release, lots of joy-cons with problems, it may be just me but the Switch doesn't feel like some premium NIntendo device in my hands just like the latest 3DS itinerations do for example.

Nikkei article says nothing about plans changing this month and so on.

A 2022 release would contradict Nintendo's past statements about wanting to extend Switch's life

They can do soft revisions, it happens all the time, they can use a different material for the joycon lock (it's a plastic block but you can upgrade to a metal one right now, there is a spawnwave video on it) they can update the internal components too, like using the same hardware exactly inside the switch and switch mini.

Next year they can "unlock" the extra gpu performance for both devices when on the go, so there is a lot that can be done over the next 2 years without a pro revision and can jump to a new model that has exclusives and next gen ports but isn't entirely a separate platform, still releasing titles across both levels of performance.

As for Nikkei reporting a delay this month, that's what the article is about.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
they could shrink the Tegra X1 to 16nm.

They can do soft revisions, it happens all the time, they can use a different material for the joycon lock (it's a plastic block but you can upgrade to a metal one right now, there is a spawnwave video on it) they can update the internal components too, like using the same hardware exactly inside the switch and switch mini.

Next year they can "unlock" the extra gpu performance for both devices when on the go, so there is a lot that can be done over the next 2 years without a pro revision and can jump to a new model that has exclusives and next gen ports but isn't entirely a separate platform, still releasing titles across both levels of performance.

As for Nikkei reporting a delay this month, that's what the article is about.
No, Nikkei doesn't say plans changed this month. Nikkei says the Switch operating system doesn't run well on the upgraded model and because of it they're delaying it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking it could be a hardware pivot

Lite: 12nm X1 clocked higher. this would account for the fan and any reason for it to be dockable (with it's own custom dock since that shit's cheap)
Pro: Mariko might be more than what we realize. maybe at 7nm?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Nikkei doesn't say plans changed this month. Nikkei says the Switch operating system doesn't run well on the upgraded model and because of it they're delaying it.
this is pretty explicit on a hardware revision that contains a new CPU. unless they changed the OS considerably (they wouldn't), they are probably moving the OS to it's own set of cores and the OS wasn't originally designed for that

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
That barebones OS? Really? Are they planning on overhauling it?

This fucking sucks
A53 cores are half as fast as A57 cores so if you have 2 A53 cores at 1.5ghz for just the OS, it's better than 1 A57 core at 1ghz, but the individual threads are only 75% as fast as the 1ghz A57 core... Sounds like the OS needs to be updated for multitasking or if it's dynamIQ they can just have a single A53 core run at 2ghz to help with the thread performance for the OS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That barebones OS? Really? Are they planning on overhauling it?

This fucking sucks
nah, I think they're moving the OS to it's own set of cores (A53/55s) with games on A57/73s but it wasn't optimized for that.

it would definitely mean the Lite is probably a die shrunk X1. they said the handheld mode is permanently 384MHz, but I find it weird they'd shrink the chip but not clock it higher

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
nah, I think they're moving the OS to it's own set of cores (A53/55s) with games on A57/73s but it wasn't optimized for that.

it would definitely mean the Lite is probably a die shrunk X1. they said the handheld mode is permanently 384MHz, but I find it weird they'd shrink the chip but not clock it higher
Especially if the leaked image is real, that vent/fan would indicate plenty of room for the docked performance to be unlocked later.

Oct 27, 2017
It has always made more sense to do a budget model sooner than a Pro model imo

They are already getting tons of hardcore consumers with the power they already have at $300 but the budget buyer may finally be willing to buy at $200. The type of buyer that buys one console every 3-5 years for their kids, who bought their kids PS4s/Xbox systems in 2014-2017

I thought the A57 and A53 couldn't be used at the same time. Would a new model solve this or could it be solved on existing models?

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Can't be dockable and at the same time be the one from that image. The "leaked" image has no kickstand, if the cheaper model supported dock mode there's no reason why it couldn't support tabletop mode too. In both cases you need controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't be dockable and at the same time be the one from that image. The "leaked" image has no kickstand, if the cheaper model supported dock mode there's no reason why it couldn't support tabletop mode too. In both cases you need controllers.

I don't see this. Most people who want to play docked will have a controller at home where the dock is, but probably aren't going to carry around a controller to do tabletop.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It has always made more sense to do a budget model sooner than a Pro model imo

They are already getting tons of hardcore consumers with the power they already have at $300 but the budget buyer may finally be willing to buy at $200. The type of buyer that buys one console every 3-5 years for their kids, who bought their kids PS4s/Xbox systems in 2014-2017

I thought the A57 and A53 couldn't be used at the same time. Would a new model solve this or could it be solved on existing models?
The pro model uses a new cpu, otherwise it would run the OS just like the current Switch. It's likely the minimum upgrade to a 4 core A73 and 2 core A53

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I don't see this. Most people who want to play docked will have a controller at home where the dock is, but probably aren't going to carry around a controller to do tabletop.
Some people do tabletop at home too

I dont think a kickstand is very expensive for Nintendo. If they are making people buy a controller in order to dock the console I don't see why same could apply to tabletop mode.

I think it will come with detachable controllers if it is to support dock mode. What would be the point in supporting dock mode if people would have no controllers anyway.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's something curious about the US Gamer article, particularly this line

and an issue with power consumption.

it sounds to me like they're fiddling with clock speeds. I have to wonder just how high they are going if they are on 12nm.

this is because the X1 predates heterogenious processing. a newer design, even if it's the same A57/A53 CPUs, can do this though

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This is original quote btw (for people looking) from Nikkei regarding delay of the change and the reason it is.

スイッチも小型廉価版の次は、現行機をフルモデルチェンジした次世代機の開発が控える。操作性や映像表現の向上、基本ソフト(OS)の変更など、様々な試行を繰り返しているとみられるが、ここでも「誰がコンセプト作りを先導するのかはっきりしない」(ある開発者)という状況だ。

Dec 23, 2017
The pro model uses a new cpu, otherwise it would run the OS just like the current Switch. It's likely the minimum upgrade to a 4 core A73 and 2 core A53
Yep! Assuming rumor is true.will go a step further and say maybe more powerful than we think. If it is having problems with the os (cpu) battery power consumption means it's pushing something I would say more than 2x OG Switch. We will have to see the design.

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds to me like this "next generation" Switch may be more than the discussion here is speculating. Screw it, im going with its more powerful than believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.