• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
A delay means...end of this year or next year? I hope not the latter because that would be bad running up against next Xbox/PS hype.

The CPU issue can be explained by transition to Tegra X2?

The power consumption is unclear. Shouldn't that be better on a smaller more efficient architecture?

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will come with detachable controllers if it is to support dock mode. What would be the point in supporting dock mode if people would have no controllers anyway.

Because they do sell controllers separately? There's no benefit in locking out the ability to dock the console, there's no cost cutting measures there. And if they can sell extra controllers for docked play, that's just another plus for them.

I'm not saying it makes sense to take away the kickstand either, just that it doesn't mean this one wouldn't be able to dock because of that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A delay means...end of this year or next year? I hope not the latter because that would be bad running up against next Xbox/PS hype.

The CPU issue can be explained by transition to Tegra X2?

The power consumption is unclear. Shouldn't that be better on a smaller more efficient architecture?
probably to something newer than the X2. the X2 is still 4 A57s

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
There is no mention of the Pro having trouble running the OS in the Nikkei article. It seems to be referring to a general lack of direction within the company at the moment. They were experimenting with improved graphics, new OS, new features, and whatnot but it's not clear either who is in charge or just how they want to proceed. And the system in question is referred to as a complete remodel and next gen.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no mention of the Pro having trouble running the OS in the Nikkei article. It seems to be referring to a general lack of direction within the company at the moment. They were experimenting with improved graphics, new OS, new features, and whatnot but it's not clear either who is in charge or just how they want to proceed. And the system in question is referred to as a complete remodel and next gen.

with USGamer saying they translated it direction, this is going every which way. if the system is delayed, I question if "lack of direction" really is a thing as they make it out to be as there had to have been a plan already to make it this far

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

with USGamer saying they translated it direction, this is going every which way. if the system is delayed, I question if "lack of direction" really is a thing as they make it out to be as there had to have been a plan already to make it this far

To be fair, usgamer also used the words next generation and said they didn't know if it's the pro or the next switch in general.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 for the "Pro" Switch always made more sense to me anyway. It's when PS5/XB2 are launching and it's when some higher end games like the next 3D Zelda are probably due. 3+ years is enough time for there to be a higher end model.

2019 for a slimmer version make sense.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017

Here's the excerpt in question run through Google translate. Granted, it's somewhat clunky and some meaning may be lost, but I see no way that "technical difficulties" with the OS can be gleaned from this.

As for the switch, next to the compact and inexpensive version, the development of the next-generation model that completely remodels the current model will be postponed. It seems that he has repeated various trials, such as improving operability and image expression, and changing the basic software (OS), but here too, the situation is "it is unclear who leads the concept creation" (a certain developer).

Edit: Yeah, Nintendo Everything seems to be saying the same thing.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they release a Pro if the next console is delayed enough, but as of now, all bets are off. Maybe they'll just increase storage on the base model Switch, use the new SoC to increase battery life, and call it a day.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess the worst part about the rumor is the wasted 100 pages of content, lol.
Specs should be different than we'd envisioned. Also, if true, Eurogamer's reporting will be rendered inaccurate once again.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
2020 for the "Pro" Switch always made more sense to me anyway. It's when PS5/XB2 are launching and it's when some higher end games like the next 3D Zelda are probably due. 3+ years is enough time for there to be a higher end model.

2019 for a slimmer version make sense.

2019 would be perfect for a switch pro releasei thought, if its on par with base ps4 hardware, developers could easily port kh3,mh world or resi 2 before 2020. switch needs current gen games now, not last gen games in 2020

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
控える

So, "to hold off" or refrain. Is it in response to the PS5 spec announcement?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they release a Pro if the next console is delayed enough, but as of now, all bets are off. Maybe they'll just increase storage on the base model Switch, use the new SoC to increase battery life, and call it a day.
if their goal was to just increase battery and storage, there wouldn't be this kind of drama.

it seems like my theory about them shifting gears ring more true. what might have started out as a scaled down and overclocked X1 seemed to have turn into a new SoC all together.

控える

hell no, things don't happen that fast

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's no Switch "Pro". Interesting. But the fact there's even talks about it makes it sound like it's coming sooner than later.

That said, if Nintendo is going to follow phones, a Pro and 2 makes little difference, I think

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
控える

JapanDict gives me these translations for the verb 控える

Screenshot-2824.png

Lines up pretty well with that Nintendo Everything mentioned. With the expert translation above, looks like there's no delay after all (thankfully) :)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Switch Pro isn't happening. But a successor is.

I don't think the successor is happening any time soon either, especially when Nintendo wants to prolong Switch's lifespan. I think Nikkei mixed things up again, like they did when they said we would be using multiple Gamepads on Wii U at the same time. Their sources are the shareholders, not some insiders who knows everything at first hand.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the successor is happening any time soon either, especially when Nintendo wants to prolong Switch's lifespan. I think Nikkei mixed things up again, like they did when they said we would be using multiple Gamepads on Wii U at the same time. Their sources are the shareholders, not some insiders who knows everything at first hand.
If a successor starts development this year it will take years for it to reach the market. This is a good time to start working on it.

However I agree there's something weird about all this situation.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I wasn't expecting a new SOC *AND* a X1 die shrink!

It's interesting the idea that they're going to be able to allow new features with the new SOC.

I have a few more thoughts on this for the morning.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2019 would be perfect for a switch pro releasei thought, if its on par with base ps4 hardware, developers could easily port kh3,mh world or resi 2 before 2020. switch needs current gen games now, not last gen games in 2020

I think PS4/XB1 tier software is going to still be made well through 2022 and even 2023 perhaps.

The install base is very large and if Nintendo commits to a Switch that can handle ports from those systems reasonably by say spring 2020 ... there's lots of content to get.

I think a lot of Japanese devs in particular will think twice about PS5/XB2 only development, Switch Pro + PS4 support for a few years may look better to them.

Then by say 2023, Nvidia can probably give Nintendo another large leap forward with a higher end chip by then.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wall Street Journal was pretty clear that there were two hardware models though. Nikkei is usually reliable too but they've gotten things wrong in the past as well like NX (Switch) was supposed to run on Android according to them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are still two models. Whatever the higher spec model is might come sooner than later than how consoles usually go. Much akin to how phones get upgraded sooner than later

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wall Street Journal was pretty clear that there were two hardware models though. Nikkei is usually reliable too but they've gotten things wrong in the past as well like NX (Switch) was supposed to run on Android according to them.
That was like... two years before the system was coming out. It's possible they were testing it, but found Android inefficient for gaming and decided to build their own OS instead.

Anyway a Switch Pro has never made any sense beyond certain fanboys like Supermetal Dave salty that they never got their wish of a super powerful Nintendo console so they'll latch on to whatever news in order to spread myths and lies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was like... two years before the system was coming out. It's possible they were testing it, but found Android inefficient for gaming and decided to build their own OS instead.

Anyway a Switch Pro has never made any sense beyond certain fanboys like Supermetal Dave salty that they never got their wish of a super powerful Nintendo console so they'll latch on to whatever news in order to spread myths and lies.

Dave wants some crazy ridiculous high power 3rd party fantasy machine though.

A higher end Switch that can run more types of games (not a PS5/XB2 competitor or something crazy like that though) has always made sense though given the rate at which mobile chip tech increases rapidly.

Having a new gen Switch every 3- 3 1/2 years (so 2020) is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.