• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Co. plans to launch two new versions of its Switch gaming console as early as this summer, people familiar with the matter said, as the company seeks to sustain sales momentum for the product going into a crucial third year.

One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won't be as powerful as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have early access to a prototype of the machine.

The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say.

Link

My latest on new Nintendo Switch coming as early as this summer. There would be two models, and people who've seen them said designs of new devices are "different from the original and you'd be surprised."

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Pro and lite model presumably. Very interested to see if they stick with detachable joycons for the budget SKU.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won't be as powerful as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine.

The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say.
So one enhanced version and one cheaper version ala 3DS in a way.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Does anyone have access to the full article? The preview only tells us that one will be targeted at "avid gamers" and "enhanced" in some way.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In for the pro and curious to see how they decide to implement the lite model. The speculation thread sure presented a bunch of possibilities.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"different from the original and you'd be surprised"
"The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device "

I'm thinking one of them is a clamshell.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ho damn i'd be hyped for a more powerful switch.
I wasn't expecting it for this year, I thought 2019 would only bring a "2ds"-like version (cheaper model)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I don't believe any of these models are going to have enhanced internal hardware that will make any difference in game performance. Instead they will be simply more ways to play. Nintendo is big on making the Switch about possibilities and how different people engage with gaming in terms of lifestyle. One of these will be a smaller portable only model that comes without a dock, for those who want to play Switch games but are more handheld inclined. The other will probably be an improved and more streamlined version of the existing one - possibly with better battery life and screen. There will be a dock expansion for those who get the portable unit and want to use it as a console later.

Not insider, but I feel this is common sense for where the Switch can go.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Current model is underpowered. A home console-focused model and a portable model would be ideal.
I'll meet you halfway and say that I want a more powerful handheld mode because I use the Switch 99.9% in handheld mode.

Docked mode can be more powerful too, sure.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
That's interesting and puts to rest all the arguments here in era lol.
"You get a Switch and you get a Switch and YOU get a Switch!"
Nintendo making era United again.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there won't be exclusives for the Pro Switch, but it seems like there will be certain games the Lite Switch won't be able to play. It'll be interesting to see.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise they're doing a cheaper one to replace the 3DS. I didn't expect a pro model already though.

Deleted member 59

I can't envisage them launching at the same time. I'm expecting the cheaper model this year for AC and Pokémon, and the beefier model next year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro, as in a more powerful one wont be out before 2020.
The new Switch for this year will be a DS Lite, as in streamlined version with some enhancements so that they can keep the price at 300 bucks.

The smaller/cheaper one is obv. there to replace the 3DS.

Either way the current Switch will be replaced.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they are, I bet I'll get both of them like the consumer whore I am...

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The new Switch for this year will be a DS Lite, as in streamlined version with some enhancements so that they can keep the price at 300 bucks.

This report says the pro and cheaper one are both out this summer.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

Where are you getting your timelines from? Don't spread your own conjecture as misinformation. The insider article states that they suspect the announcement to happen at E3 and releases a few months later. None of this 2020 nonesense you're peddling and obfuscating this thread with.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder when they're going to officially announce this. I could probably see them showing them as early as next month which is pretty exciting.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever they are, I bet I'll get both of them like the consumer whore I am...
1223.jpg

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this is true it's truly a dream. People want both a Switch Mini and a Switch Pro.

Day 1 for Switch Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.