• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
This means that the switch hybrid everyone loves, is still $299 in year 2021. Sure the handheld model will help sales, especially in Japan, but driving growth for 2 years just seems unlikely. Especially when they could drop the price of the current model to $249 this year.
They should drop it on its third year

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Pro Switch model would cost $300 to put on shelves with what Nintendo deems is a reasonable profit left over, it takes time to drop the price of such a device, so it won't be able to come down in price next year and possibly not until holiday 2021, that's a long time to not offer the market that is looking for the hybrid Switch form factor that is already a hit, at a cheaper price point than $299. There is no guarantee that a handheld only model will have the lasting impact at $199 to carry growth over the next two years.

All I'm saying is there is a clear advantage to keeping the current sku around and offering it for 50 to 60 dollars less than it currently sells for, and they can just drop the same chip in it that is in the mini.
If Nintendo wanted to, they could've lowered the price of the switch last year while they were struggling to reach their fiscal goal.

They haven't even bundled a game with the switch outside of a Black Friday only deal.
The issue is overstated. Putting a new chip into an old console doesn't make too much sense.
If Nintendo wants, a $250 switch lite+dock bundle is possible or bundle in games with the pro.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They should drop it on its third year
this is the 3rd year.
If Nintendo wanted to, they could've lowered the price of the switch last year while they were struggling to reach their fiscal goal.

They haven't even bundled a game with the switch outside of a Black Friday only deal.
The issue is overstated. Putting a new chip into an old console doesn't make too much sense.
If Nintendo wants, a $250 switch lite+dock bundle is possible or bundle in games with the pro.
if the handheld model doesn't come with Joycons, it would mean they put a switch pro controller in it, it can work but it's not as seemless as the current form factor.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
They can sell the current model for Atleast $30 less than at launch with the same profits, because they offer that discount now. In Japan they kept the Joycons but sold the device without a dock and it sold for $240 dollars, that means it is possible to sell the switch now without a dock for a profit at $210, the Joycons add a ton of complexity to the device, 2 more circuit boards, 2 batteries, wireless radios, HD rumble, 2 male and 2 female rails. The reason they were able to sell the 2ds for so cheap is because they could use a single circuit board, that's a huge huge cost saving measure, one that can be duplicated if they drop the Joycons.

They can get a handheld only switch well under $200 and still sell it at a profit, heck the Nvidia shield tv sells for a profit at $139 and the difference there is a 720p screen, but the shield tv comes with a separate controller.

Hang on, do you actually know they are making the same profit margin on that dockless bundle? If so I'd like to see it because I'm interested. But doesn't that deal only exist through Nintendo directly? Like, can you get that deal in a store or another webshop?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Hang on, do you actually know they are making the same profit margin on that dockless bundle? If so I'd like to see it because I'm interested. But doesn't that deal only exist through Nintendo directly? Like, can you get that deal in a store or another webshop?
I never said that they sell the Japanese dockless switch for the same profit.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The TV only Switch was always the least likely scenario by far. Handheld focused switch mini is much more realizable with an optional dock and can still preserve all the "modes" Switch TV would have only 1/3 modes and be gimped as hell.

But anyone expecting the switch "Mini" to be sold cheaper than 249.99 is out of their mind. I can't imagine a scenario where Nintendo would kneecap their own profits like that. When the last system they sold at "break even" was the Wii U

Like people already stated, Switch Mini with built in controls and whithout dock could easily sell for $200 and in same time Nintendo remains same profit margin,
just with built controls compared to Joy Cons (no two batteries, no Joy Con sensors, sliding mechanisms, 2 more circuit boards..) we talking about huge saving costs,
but there is also point there will not be dock, point that we talking about smaller screen and smaller device, less parts, no HDMI cable, smaller package, smaller ship costs..

That is the major reason I think they will just put the new SoC in the current model and drop its price to $239-$249. I also don't think an additional $20 price drop of the handheld model to $179 would hurt Nintendo as its a much more impulse buy than $199.

Thing is that Nintendo doesnt have any reason to set price point of any Switch revision below $200 yet when Switch is still selling great with $300 and Switch Mini/Pocket would sell great with $200 also (espacily with launch of Pokemon and Animal Crossing), I am certain they will save below $200 price point for later price cuts when sales start slowing down and they will not go below with launch of Switch Mini/Pocket.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Like people already stated, Switch Mini with built in controls and whithout dock could easily sell for $200 and in same time Nintendo remains same profit margin,
just with built controls compared to Joy Cons (no two batteries, no Joy Con sensors, sliding mechanisms, 2 more circuit boards..) we talking about huge saving costs,
but there is also point there will not be dock, point that we talking about smaller screen and smaller device, less parts, no HDMI cable, smaller package, smaller ship costs..

Thing is that Nintendo doesnt have any reason to set price point of any Switch revision below $200 yet when Switch is still selling great with $300 and Switch Mini/Pocket would sell great with $200 also (espacily with launch of Pokemon and Animal Crossing), I am certain they will save below $200 price point for later price cuts when sales start slowing down and they will not go below with launch of Switch Mini/Pocket.
We don't have the data to know the answer to what you are suggesting. A $179 price point for a handheld only Switch, allows for a price drop of the current model, because 199, 249 and 299 makes the handheld only device a very dumb purchase.

If Nintendo can have a good profit margin and sell the handheld only switch for $179, it comes down to sales volume, if they can sell 50% more handheld models with a $20 lower price point and they expect each of those owners on average to buy 6 to 10 games over the life of the device, it could simply mean more profit.

It's not like the $179 price point is far below $199, they would likely still make a decent profit on each model here. I am not saying they will keep the current model, but if they want to drop the price of their hybrid device, they need to keep the current model around, at least if the handheld model isn't a hybrid device.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
We don't have the data to know the answer to what you are suggesting. A $179 price point for a handheld only Switch, allows for a price drop of the current model, because 199, 249 and 299 makes the handheld only device a very dumb purchase.

If Nintendo can have a good profit margin and sell the handheld only switch for $179, it comes down to sales volume, if they can sell 50% more handheld models with a $20 lower price point and they expect each of those owners on average to buy 6 to 10 games over the life of the device, it could simply mean more profit.

It's not like the $179 price point is far below $199, they would likely still make a decent profit on each model here. I am not saying they will keep the current model, but if they want to drop the price of their hybrid device, they need to keep the current model around, at least if the handheld model isn't a hybrid device.

We have data for current Switch sales, and Switch still sells very good with launch price point without bundled game, and biggest games of this year yet needs to be released, and you can bet for instance that Switch Mini/Pocket for $200 would at least set Japan on fire.
Point and sales proves that current Switch doesnt need price cut, what Nintendo could easily do is keep same current Switch price point but releasing improved Switch revision (New Switch) that would replace current Switch on market.

Again, there no single reason that Nintendo yet go with price point below $200 when would sell great with that price point espacily with release of AC and Pokemon, and Nintendo would of course want higher profit margin at first in any case like always.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Offcourse that we disagree because you fail to see that current model is aimed for family play and local multiplayer, look at comercials for games you keep mentioning like Labo, SMP, 1, 2 Switch, hole point of those games is family play and local multiplayer, and all that offers current Switch model.
All informations we have until now for cheap Switch revision point about low price handheld focused revision with cut features, and that almost certain means no local multiplayer (at least right out of box), so clearly point and focus of such a revision would be different from current Switch.
Such a revision is not only aimed at kids, but to casual also (and huge majority of casuals players are smartphone players), also to generally to handheld lovers, core gamers..that love handheld play but they are not willing to pay $300 for TV play or Joy Cons that they dont need.
Like Thraktor wrote, whether it appeals to people currently buying Switch's is irrelevant, it's there to appeal to the people who were previously buying 3DSs (cheap, ie small, handheld-only devices with integrated controls).

Of Course they care about handheld play, and what you saying dont make any sense, because every Nintendo handheld sold much better than Nintendo home console, including last two gens in smartphone era. Why do you think 3DS has life span of 7-8 years while Wii U had life span of only 4 years?
Truth is that home consoles were much weaker for Nintendo than handhelds and with Wii U they had their worst selling piece of hardware ever (not counting Virtual Boy), and with point that technology finally is ready, best they could do is to make hybrid platform and merge their handheld and home console divisions in one unified division.
But that doesn't mean in any case that they will not release Switch low price handheld focused Switch revision that will basically replace 3DS place and price point on market.
I don't think they'll keep the premium model for families and kids while the cheaper one will be for core gamers. If they go the 2DS way then it will be for kids, not for avid gamers. I just don't get why a cheaper Switch automatically means it has to stop being a Switch. It's also important that despite its strong sales eventually they get a cheaper Switch out there, with your scenario that isn't happening, I don't see the Switch being 330 euros next year. Look at the latest commercials released today, I don't think they'd be doing this if they were about to suddenly remove the Switch concept.

By the way, the 3DS released in 2011, mobile gaming (not smartphones in general) was no way that big as it is today. As I said if they want people to carry the Switch around they need to offer them something different, not just the games. How many people carry a 3DS in their pockets and how many of the handheld users play mostly at home?

In any case, anything is possible with Nintendo. They're the only company capable of releasing a Switch that doesn't Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
The idea will be one main Switch for the family under the TV, which will be taken on roadtrips and several portable, probably more kidproof Switches for school and work.

The endgoal is every household has several Switches.

See their online service pricing, which was basically a huge ass spoiler the whole time.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The mini switch isn't being introduced to lower the switch price, it's being introduced to sell something to 3ds owners. The Switch Mini being discussed in the articles say specifically that it's not just a smaller handheld only switch, but a new surprising form factor. They aren't selling you a cheaper switch for 179-199, they are selling you a new handheld not like the switch, that plays switch software.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
this is the 3rd year.
if the handheld model doesn't come with Joycons, it would mean they put a switch pro controller in it, it can work but it's not as seemless as the current form factor.
I'm talking about switch pro. Personally they should drop it on year 2 to make it more competitive, but of course Nintendo won't unless it sells terrible

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably more of a Switch 2 feature than something for a mid-gen revision, but I could see a "Switch U" that streams wirelessly to the dock happening down the road.

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about how likely it is that the lite will get announced soon.
Wonder how many people will buy that if the pro isn't announced concurrently.

I think I might be tempted especially if the lite has a small performance boost, even if I really shouldn't buy it, lol

Might get it for a sibling so I can try it out. I know they've been wanting one for two games out this year

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

I think I might be tempted especially if the lite has a small performance boost, even if I really shouldn't buy it, lol

Might get it for a sibling so I can try it out. I know they've been wanting one for two games out this year
It would be really weird if the pro model wasn't announced concurrently. I'm not expecting both models to be out simultaneously.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we aren't thinking out of the box enough. A base system that isn't portable, a portable only system, a clamshell - these aren't surprising form factors for Nintendo.

The Switch was surprising. The DS was certainly surprising. Hell, the 2DS was even a surprising form factor.

....unfortunately, I'm just not clever enough to think of something legit surprising.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo would find a way to sell Mini even to the most impossible naysayers. Translucent designs? More color options (I know while color is super attractive to some people, including me). Limited editions (delicious gold Zelda edition)?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I got my switch relatively recently, which is fine whatever, but I'll be pretty bummed if this gets into a "New 3ds" type situation where there are some games I just can't play. Their thankfully weren't very many of those on 3ds.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I got my switch relatively recently, which is fine whatever, but I'll be pretty bummed if this gets into a "New 3ds" type situation where there are some games I just can't play. Their thankfully weren't very many of those on 3ds.
Something like 2 dozen + Snes games, big games including first party titles, enhanced games that barely worked on the original 3ds such as hyrule warriors legends and mega hits like minecraft.

Similarly, something like that could happen to a Switch Pro, where on the normal Switch it's 20fps and has dynamic resolution as low as 360p (like Xenoblade 2), could see a 3rd party mega hit like GTA6 hit Switch Pro, but who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it worked out well for Nintendo so I doubt we'll see anything first party.

The ones on new 3DS from Nintendo weren't actually exclusives for the most part.
Xenoblade was on Wii and Wii U, FE Warriors was on switch.

Biggest deal was probably Unity and maybe Minecraft.

Dec 23, 2017
Something like 2 dozen + Snes games, big games including first party titles, enhanced games that barely worked on the original 3ds such as hyrule warriors legends and mega hits like minecraft.

Similarly, something like that could happen to a Switch Pro, where on the normal Switch it's 20fps and has dynamic resolution as low as 360p (like Xenoblade 2), could see a 3rd party mega hit like GTA6 hit Switch Pro, but who knows.
Gta isn't coming to a switch. Believe it when I see it.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I feel like we aren't thinking out of the box enough. A base system that isn't portable, a portable only system, a clamshell - these aren't surprising form factors for Nintendo.

The Switch was surprising. The DS was certainly surprising. Hell, the 2DS was even a surprising form factor.

....unfortunately, I'm just not clever enough to think of something legit surprising.

While I agree with you that Mochi was most likely referring to the form factor, his tweet only says "designs" and the article only states that they are not "similar-looking". In the end, what in fact is "surprising" to Mochi's sources (and himself) might be not surprising to us.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I don't think they'll keep the premium model for families and kids while the cheaper one will be for core gamers. If they go the 2DS way then it will be for kids, not for avid gamers. I just don't get why a cheaper Switch automatically means it has to stop being a Switch. It's also important that despite its strong sales eventually they get a cheaper Switch out there, with your scenario that isn't happening, I don't see the Switch being 330 euros next year. Look at the latest commercials released today, I don't think they'd be doing this if they were about to suddenly remove the Switch concept.

By the way, the 3DS released in 2011, mobile gaming (not smartphones in general) was no way that big as it is today. As I said if they want people to carry the Switch around they need to offer them something different, not just the games. How many people carry a 3DS in their pockets and how many of the handheld users play mostly at home?

In any case, anything is possible with Nintendo. They're the only company capable of releasing a Switch that doesn't Switch.

First I think that this will be New Switch that will replace current Switch model on market same like New 3DS replaced OG 3DS on market.
Second there is huge difference between family and kid playing, family play means local multiplayer and in most cases TV play, and thats opposite that all informations suggest us for Switch "Mini/Pocket" (cheaper, handheld focused, cut features, aimed to 3DS owners, casuals, kids..), Switch "Mini/Pocket" doesn't sound at all like family device but like personal device similar like 3DS. For instance not single 3DS revision was family revision, they were all personal devices for local single player, it seems that point of Switch Mini/Pocket revision is exactly that.
If you want much cheaper, more handheld focused, smaller, more durable Switch revision (that aims 3DS owners, casuals, kids, generaly handheld lovers..), best way you can do that is by making revision with built in controls and without dock (at least out of box, maybe you could still connect Joy Cons on it).
If it plays Switch games, its still part of Switch platform, it cant have totally different name if we talking about same platform and same games, it needs to have "Switch" (Pocket, Go, Mini, Lite..) in its name because its not point only about switching but about hole platform.
Current Switch or New Switch will have cheaper price in some point in any case even maybe thats not this year, I mean current Switch is still selling great with launch price point and without bundled game, and first thing we will see before price cut is bundle with one game for same price point. I also dont see $330 next year, I dont see over $300 even this year, and next year price can be only lower than $300 (not higher).
Again thats all family play that current or "New" Switch will offer, point of Switch Mini/Pocket is different.

Actually they dont, Switch is selling great in any case, and low price Switch Mini/Pocket revision would sell well enough alone (it would make plenty of 3DS owners upgrade, but also attract casual/smartphone players, handheld lowers...), saying that Switch has much better games than 3DS had (I mean Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey are among most critically acclaimed games of generation), Switch offers full home console games on the go that 3DS didnt (despite few exceptions).

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
First I think that this will be New Switch that will replace current Switch model on market same like New 3DS replaced OG 3DS on market.
Second there is huge difference between family and kid playing, family play means local multiplayer and in most cases TV play, and thats opposite that all informations suggest us for Switch "Mini/Pocket" (cheaper, handheld focused, cut features, aimed to 3DS owners, casuals, kids..), Switch "Mini/Pocket" doesn't sound at all like family device but like personal device similar like 3DS. For instance not single 3DS revision was family revision, they were all personal devices for local single player, it seems that point of Switch Mini/Pocket revision is exactly that.
If you want much cheaper, more handheld focused, smaller, more durable Switch revision (that aims 3DS owners, casuals, kids, generaly handheld lovers..), best way you can do that is by making revision with built in controls and without dock (at least out of box, maybe you could still connect Joy Cons on it).
If it plays Switch games, its still part of Switch platform, it cant have totally different name if we talking about same platform and same games, it needs to have "Switch" (Pocket, Go, Mini, Lite..) in its name because its not point only about switching but about hole platform.
Current Switch or New Switch will have cheaper price in some point in any case even maybe thats not this year, I mean current Switch is still selling great with launch price point and without bundled game, and first thing we will see before price cut is bundle with one game for same price point. I also dont see $330 next year, I dont see over $300 even this year, and next year price can be only lower than $300 (not higher).
Again thats all family play that current or "New" Switch will offer, point of Switch Mini/Pocket is different.

Actually they dont, Switch is selling great in any case, and low price Switch Mini/Pocket revision would sell well enough alone (it would make plenty of 3DS owners upgrade, but also attract casuals, handheld lowers...), saying that Switch has much better games than 3DS, Switch offers full home console games on the go that 3DS didnt (despite few exceptions).
I agree this New Switch will replace the OG model that's why I'm saying I find it weird we'll reach the 3rd year without a price drop, I really doubt Switch will be 330 euros still in 2020. By the way, I said euros, not dollars, 330 euros is in no way 330 dollars. A handheld-only Switch isn't a Switch no matter what you say, a Wii wasn't a GameCube cause it played GameCube games and a DS wasn't a GBA because it played its games. Switch is a hybrid console, I know games play the biggest role here, but you can't deny one of Switch's biggest selling points is its modularity. It's a very attractive system because of its design. WSJ said the cheaper model won't be a traditional handheld, which means Nintendo probably realised they need to offer people something else if they want them to pick up a Switch and not a smartphone. How many smartphones let you share the controllers on the go?

Most of the games based around the joy-cons, motion controls and so on are made with casuals, families and kids in mind. Nintendo doesn't expect you and I to play Labo, they want to reach the exact demographics the revision is supposedly made in mind. That was the 2DS, a cheap streamlined device for kids and families. Nintendo released all these family games last year because they wanted these people to get a Switch. These people would now see this cheaper Switch and buy Super Mario Party with it only to find out later at home they can't play. There's no way they're restricting casual, kids and families to the premium model. I know the current hybrid model will still be in the market, I just find it weird that there won't be a cheaper option. Would be a bad move in my opinion, no matter how good the system is selling nowadays.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

I'm thinking it will be a redesign of some sort, but I'd like to see them stick with a more modular design for increased Switchability.

My wildest speculation in terms of form and function (without getting too much into the feasibility in terms of marketing and tech of making all this work) is:

Switch portable will be the new base model Switch; it will be a PS4 Slim/Xbox One S approach, meaning it will run better, be sleaker, and cost less. The tablet will be slimmer with similar screen dimensions and resolution, but better quality and less bezel. Passively cooled, looks a bit more like a tablet.

Joycons are detachable but redesigned to be more ergonomic yet technically smaller, even though they are more comfortable to hold. Still have the same features, but the tablet docks into the Joycons rather than the other way around. Allows it to be both more securely attached as well as not get placed on the wrong way like the old design and get stuck. New design allows the SL and SR buttons to still be technically reachable even in handheld mode. New design also allows for TATE mode docking in the Joycon, which allows you to play that way but it must be the normal orientation to charge them. Kickstand also works in portrait and landscape mode. Left joycon buttons are still separate but resemble a configuration closer to the Dualshock D-Pad, allowing you to more easily rock your thumb. New Joycons could now accomodate larger screen/larger Switch in the future if they want as well as a smaller screen/Switch since they are no longer tied to the height of the system.

No dock included but a redesigned dock will be sold separately that uses less material, costs less, and is basically the old dock in a new slimmer shell. Redesigned dock and kickstand no longer have issue of breaking because you forget to close it. Still dockable and has performance just like old Switch both portably and docked, but able to get better battery life and hit docked performance while passively cooled due to the new chips/die shrink (ok, I know that they may be a real world issue, but this has a design point for why it works this way).

Price $200 + $50 for the new optional dock, maybe a low margin initially, but will make more money in the new customers they bring in as well as when it gets cheaper to produce over time. Original Switch gets a price cut to $250 and slowly phased out over the next year or so.

Nintendo will release a Supplemental Computing Device. It's function is to give certain cloud computing benefits, starting off with simple things like faster downloads and patch updates and eventually the end goal will be more advanced cloud gaming computations and even helping with streaming (probably not doing cloud streaming on it's own). Having it connected online sharing your computing power gives players certain benefits like voice chat/party chat, larger cloud save storage space, video streaming. At it's most basic level, it will have benefits using it with both an OG Switch and the Portable Switch, even without docking/connecting it. Has 8GB of RAM.

The twist is that it is actually the same chipset as the Portable Switch, so it is actually a Console Switch as well and plays games on your TV with "docked" performance. Joycon are not included, since it's sold as an SCD, but it would retail for $130-$150, and you can either buy Joycon separately or buy a Pro Controller bundle. Would make a "console" Switch a comparable price point as the "handheld" Switch when all is said and done for people who want just one form but don't want to pay for additional features. May have the highest margins per unit sold.

Now this is where it gets really wild:

The "Switch Pro" is actually a bundle of the SCD and the new Switch Portable for $350 and this is where we see some functionality added to the SCD that can only be taken advantage of with a Switch docking to it, and even functionality that can only be taken advantage of by having the SCD and Portable, specifically due to the new chips. The SCD adds active cooling for potentially taking more advantages of the power benefits with higher clocks and will be able to push passed performance of the OG Switch on it's own but it would be a performance mode that wouldn't really be programmed for on it's own when running as a "console only" for "docked" performance. It would though be able to get some performance boost with the portable hardware actually adding computing power to the SCD rather than the other way around, with the OG Switch getting minor benefits but the portable Switch getting almost Next-Gen Switch 2.0 upgrades if they want to take advantage of it (again, don't know how practical this would be). The SCD would also have an extra set of Wifi antennas because it would essentially be able to function like a Wii U of sorts by streaming video and computing between the portable Switch and the SCD. This wouldn't allow for the "next-gen" performance boosts", but at the very least, I could see it work at a "hub" for multiple Switches connected like a LAN, it could have some Wii U functionality, whether through a form of backwards compatibility or just making new games using the same design philosophy, and going back to streaming, it could help cut down on latency by having a "middle man" handling a lot of computing/decoding, but maybe that all is just bullshit because I don't really understand cloud computing.

So the basical TL;DR breakdown:

-Switch "Portable" basically a redesigned, sleeker and cheaper Switch, no dock, but redesigned sleeker dock will be sold separately that could work with this and OG Switch
-SCD/Console Only Switch/Hub - plays Switch "docked" games on it's own but requires separate controller, lots of performance benefits when paired with a hybrid Switch, both OG and Portable and potential for cloud applications as that technology matures
-"Portable" + SCD bundle = Switch Pro; full benefits of the new chips when docked to offer potential for "next-gen" growth to be unlocked over time, as well as maturing cloud tech and a real next-gen "Switch 2" being able to really evolve the system over time. It is the "future proof" Switch SKU.
-OG Switch will eventually be phased out and replaced by the "portable" but would currently be able to take advantage of some SCD benefits. Allows current owners an option for getting "Pro" level games as it would be a higher performance target, but not as high as the potential of a "Pro" bundle, which would overlap into the next-gen for Switch.

Sounds convoluted, but I think it could be pretty easy to explain:

OG Switch and "Portable" Switch will be comparable but one has a dock while the other doesn't. At the same time, the portable is like a new iPhone in that is seems smaller, but the tech actually makes it more powerful, even if it doesn't necessarily use the full energy efficiency as a portable except for longer battery life. There will be new redesigned Joycon and a dumb dock, the former is for the new Switch while the latter could work for both if you like.

There will also be a "Smart Dock/Hub" which technically can run Switch games as well, but it's purpose is to add some online/cloud functionality now and more in the future. It can also beef up your OG and Portable Switch to a higher performance level when docked, and allow some level of streaming benefits when undocked, but if you buy both the new Portable Switch and Smart Dock together, you can get an even higher potential performance in the future as well as features that only the new architecture of the new hardware can enable, features that will likely be in a Switch 2, which you can get a taste of now or upgrade at the pace you want with the modular pieces that you desire.

TL;DR of TL;DR : SWITCH PRO IS LITERALLY 2 NINTENDO SWITCHES DUCT TAPED TOGETHER! ;P

Yeah, so that's my wild pipe dream, but I think there is a kernel there of ideas that I just think could be so compelling if it's possible, but it seems pretty unrealistic.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I agree this New Switch will replace the OG model that's why I'm saying I find it weird we'll reach the 3rd year without a price drop, I really doubt Switch will be 330 euros still in 2020. By the way, I said euros, not dollars, 330 euros is in no way 330 dollars.
A handheld-only Switch isn't a Switch no matter what you say, a Wii wasn't a GameCube cause it played GameCube games and a DS wasn't a GBA because it played its games. Switch is a hybrid console, I know games play the biggest role here, but you can't deny one of Switch's biggest selling points is its modularity. It's a very attractive system because of its design. WSJ said the cheaper model won't be a traditional handheld, which means Nintendo probably realised they need to offer people something else if they want them to pick up a Switch and not a smartphone. How many smartphones let you share the controllers on the go?

Most of the games based around the joy-cons, motion controls and so on are made with casuals, families and kids in mind. Nintendo doesn't expect you and I to play Labo, they want to reach the exact demographics the revision is supposedly made in mind. That was the 2DS, a cheap streamlined device for kids and families. Nintendo released all these family games last year because they wanted these people to get a Switch. These people would now see this cheaper Switch and buy Super Mario Party with it only to find out later at home they can't play. There's no way they're restricting casual, kids and families to the premium model. I know the current hybrid model will still be in the market, I just find it weird that there won't be a cheaper option. Would be a bad move in my opinion, no matter how good the system is selling nowadays.

Again, it selling great currently without big game released this year so far and wihout any bundle, and with releasing of heavy hitters sales could be only better.
Saying that, with New Switch, Nintendo maybe dont want to make lower price point for main model/revision, its very possible they will make more attractive and more desirable product with same price point, I mean they done something similar with some 3DS versions. I dont think that New Switch will be 330 dollars or euros, probably will be same price point like current Switch model, while current Switch model will get little price point to $270/280 with bundled game until there are stocks.
You are wrong, it would be part of Switch platform and Switch family offocurse, its similar like saying that 2DS is not part of 3DS family.
Wii and GC comparison or DS with GBA with OG Switch and Switch Mini/Pocket don't make any sense, Wii, GC, DS, GBA are all different platforms and we talking only about different platforms that had backward compatibility, I mean you couldnt play Wii games on GC, or DS games on GBA,
Switch Mini/Pocket would be handheld revision of current Switch not separate platform like examples you mentioned.
You keep arguing with wrong things, it is biggest point modularity and no one arguing with that and thats why current or this new improvement model will be still on market and still will be main Switch model, but point of Switch Mini/Pocket is low price offer of Switch games for people that don't care about modularity and they are more than OK with just handheld play.
WSJ reported won't be a traditional handheld but also very different design compared to current model (you keep ignoring that part), and that could really be anything but definitely different compared to current Switch (with cut features offcourse). But they are offering something different, they offering full home console games on the go, also some of biggest games of generation like Zelda BotW, Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, actually Nintendo was talking like they want that Switch be bridge between smartphone and console gaming.
Saying that, its not point only about casual/smartphone gamers, but also about ex 3DS owners, kids, core handheld players or generally handheld lovers.

99% of games are perfectly playable without motion controls and in full handheld mode, and thats only point that matters because we talking about only handled users that this revision is aiming for. Offcourse that you cant have full experience with low price point offer that will have cute features, if you want full experience than better buy more expansive regular Switch.
2DS was cheap, and has cut features and did not support same games like New 3DS that replaced OG on market. but 2DS wasnt for family, 2DS was personal device, not fun for hole family with local multiplayer like current Switch is.
And those people bought Switch, again, Switch Mini/Pocket revision is for people that want Switch games in handheld mode at low price point but they dont care about TV play or Joy Cons.
They not retracting anyone, its like saying that with 2DS they restricted people who like 3D, SNES games or clamshell design,
people will choose revision that fits them more, you cant expect that you have diffrent kind of revisions and price points and that they all have all same capabilities and features, you need to realise that when come to Nintendo, they doing different kind versions and price points aimed at different kind parts of market, I mean there is reason why Nintendo had price point from $80 to $200 with 3DS family.
Current Switch or New Switch will be cheaper by time in any case and current Switch is perfect for family play, but Nintendo with Switch Mini/Pocket looking at low price offer for handheld users (including ex 3DS users that were only handheld players offcourse).

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Look at the latest commercials released today, I don't think they'd be doing this if they were about to suddenly remove the Switch concept.

Can't help, but those commercials are more in line with the Wii U adds, i.e. anoying kids :D
Where are the cool grown ups? That mother looks like on a bad drug.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first ads were great, e.g. the one with the dad who played Zelda while carrying the baby, after the mother left.
But the new ones are too artificial in my opinion.
that was a more recent one. I'm talking about the very first one, before the switch came out. saw some crazy-ass posts about how "not marketing to kids" is why the switch is doing well

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe the surprise form factor is that they look almost identical to the current Switch.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any updates since the OP? It doesn't look like it based on the past few pages, but I'm wondering if I missed anything in the pages before that.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
How crazy does the idea of a Nintendo Switch DS with a clamshell design and 3DS/DS emulation or native BC sound? If something like this is possible, how much do you think Nintendo would charge for something like this ? My guess is $199.99

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How crazy does the idea of a Nintendo Switch DS with a clamshell design and 3DS/DS emulation or native BC sound? If something like this is possible, how much do you think Nintendo would charge for something like this ? My guess is $199.99
I think the clamshell won't have two screens, it's a compact design to help protect the hardware from droppage. More robust design than the current model.

The days of DS gaming on a modern console - that's over unless you see ports.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think the clamshell won't have two screens, it's a compact design to help protect the hardware from droppage. More robust design than the current model.

The days of DS gaming on a modern console - that's over unless you see ports.
If they're going for a clamshell design it would be weird to have this large empty space in the middle. That's why I don't think adding a second resistive type touchscreen is such a bad idea. Clamshell designs are good for portability so chances are that Switch mini will have a dramatically different form factor than the current Switch. They could add DS and 3DS emulation for NSO too. Its all speculation though. Maybe there won't be a clamshell design at all.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Hahahaha absolutely not, even if they ever did make it it'd be more expensive than the current Switch because of all the useless innards.

Oct 25, 2017
They're not adding a second screen to any switch.
3DS and DS emulation is probably possible, but Nintendo would have to find work arounds instead. Perhaps having them show up side by side, or pressing a button to switch between screens.

That being said, I wonder when/if they'll introduce wii/GCN games anytime soon. Perhaps will be one of the features showcased with the pro. The shield and NVIDIA's ports show the hardware is pretty capable of handling wii/GCN games in HD, so it'll be interesting if they can do even more with those. 1080p GCN games on the handheld would look pretty crisp

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
They're not adding a second screen to any switch.
3DS and DS emulation is probably possible, but Nintendo would have to find work arounds instead. Perhaps having them show up side by side, or pressing a button to switch between screens.

That being said, I wonder when/if they'll introduce wii/GCN games anytime soon. Perhaps will be one of the features showcased with the pro. The shield and NVIDIA's ports show the hardware is pretty capable of handling wii/GCN games in HD, so it'll be interesting if they can do even more with those. 1080p GCN games on the handheld would look pretty crisp
Especially with the android overhead.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
that was a more recent one. I'm talking about the very first one, before the switch came out. saw some crazy-ass posts about how "not marketing to kids" is why the switch is doing well

I remember some histrionic youtube slopswill predicting the Switch was doomed because they weren't advertising to kids initially. His name escapes me but it starts with an R and he's the type to make Youtube thumbnails with his mouth agape in disbelief as if waiting for the world's largest sub sandwich to satiate a year's-long hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.