• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The cheapest one with the A12X chip is $800. Do you think that's reasonable for a 2019 console?

The chip itself isn't making up the bulk of the device's cost. That would be the nearly twice as big, nearly three times the resolution screen and other such things like the battery. If Nintendo only cared about upgrading the SoC in the Switch and nothing else, the replacement chip would be more reasonably priced than you'd expect.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Just got to a part where he thought BOTW ran at 1080p so I imagine he's fine with how things are now.

Don't expect any game that's <1080p 30fps to get a 1080p 60fps jump, i think
If switch Pro is 2 to 2.5x all around in CPU,GPU, Ram, and bandwidth, I do think Switch Pro is capable of running botw at 1080p 60fps. Botw on Switch is currently 900p 30fps and it's not exactly optimized/built for the ground up for switch either.

Oct 25, 2017
If switch Pro is 2 to 2.5x all around in CPU,GPU, Ram, and bandwidth, I do think Switch Pro is capable of running botw at 1080p 60fps. Botw on Switch is currently 900p 30fps and it's not exactly optimized/built for the ground up for switch either.
I wouldn't expect it even if it sounds possible.
Honestly just expecting a locked 30fps 1080p at most for the switch exclusive Zelda on the pro.

Some games like the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart 9, next Splatoon, (games that target 60fps anyways) are the one day I expect to reach that goal

Oct 25, 2017
I found the Switch pro launch title:
Miyamoto:
"When it comes to games, I don't see the need for Zelda in 4K but for Pikmin, making it 4K compatible could possibly further show more small detailed Pikmin moving around, show things from an even further perspective, and being able to see more may make a more fun game."
#Pikmin4k

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Close it already then. There is no point in making a Switch Pro that is weaker than even a base Xbox One in 2019. Even an iPad has already reached Xbox One graphics and that is without active cooling.

I expect minimum Xbox One power.
Even an iPad? Apple releases state of the art mobile tech at premium price. Of course Nintendo is way behind apple.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
So Im in serious thoughts of buying a Switch, but I haven't followed along with the rumors. Is this rumour hot enough that I should hold off onto buying a Switch for now? I m a dude who would prefer a Premium version if available, but in general Im just really entertained by the thought of having an handheld playing Zelda and Mario titles.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So I'll ask, assuming we just get a TX2 bog standard. What are the realistic clocks we can expect on the GPU and CPU side.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So Im in serious thoughts of buying a Switch, but I haven't followed along with the rumors. Is this rumour hot enough that I should hold off onto buying a Switch for now? I m a dude who would prefer a Premium version if available, but in general Im just really entertained by the thought of having an handheld playing Zelda and Mario titles.
Yeah, I'd hold off for the time being.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that the X1 is not capable of parallel and asynchronous processing?, Pascal minimum confirmed?

https://youtu.be/l5WxKUYglns
https://careers.nintendo.com/job-openings/listing/1900000034.html

This doesn't make any reference to GPU async compute, just "parallel and asynchronous programming", which I'd say is pretty desirable for a GPU driver engineer regardless of whether the GPU itself supports async compute (particularly if you're using a Vulkan-based API which doesn't restrict as much to a single thread as, say OpenGL or DX11).

They can't fit RT cores in a handheld packages without big concessions

They can, just not enough to do anything useful. Which is a shame, as ray tracing is far better suited to a console development environment where devs can rely on the hardware being there, and tightly optimizing around the configuration they've got. We'll see a Nintendo device with ray tracing at some point down the line, but not any time soon.

Wii U did it actually, but because those consoles built their code on a low level just above the metal, they required a huge investment and custom hardware. You can drop Turing into a Switch APU with a newer ARM CPU and have no issues at all, because NVN is based on a hardware agnostic API.

NVN may be based on a hardware-agnostic API, but there could be a lot of hardware-specific extensions built on top of that, some of which may be specific to the Maxwell architecture. Alternatively there could be parts of game engines which are tightly optimized around particular aspects of the Maxwell architecture, and although Turing may retain compatibility, it couldn't necessarily guarantee performance parity for code optimised for Maxwell (as an example, the way threads are scheduled and dispatched changed significantly from Maxwell/Pascal to Volta/Turing).

I'm mainly just playing devil's advocate here, and from how Nintendo has approached Switch thus far I feel they've put more thought into forward-compatibility than they would have in the past, so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue.

That's been my thinking for a while, Gaming Tegra and AI Tegra, even joked about calling this Tegra chip X3.

As I see it Nvidia has two SoC lines now, Nintendo Tegra and automotive SoCs (note that they don't actually use the Tegra name for these anymore). The automotive ones are in effect the AI chips, as they went heavy on tensor cores with Xavier, and I would be very surprised if they don't do the same with Orin.

I don't see Nvidia releasing any new SoCs any time soon that aren't destined for either Nintendo or the automotive world. The real question is whether they stop going after the tablet/HMD/etc. market that the X1 and X2 were targeted at, or the new Nintendo chip doubles as an "X3" which they can sell to other customers. If so, then it may well affect the chip Nintendo ends up with, versus one which is designed exclusively for Nintendo.

Very crazy. System revisions tend to ditch BC in later revisions to cut costs and because it's no longer seen as important. PS3, Wii, GBA, DS. Adding it later is I think unheard of? Especially if it's a new, significantly cheaper model.

Ditching BC usually happens when it's implemented with dedicated hardware, but with emulation, a more powerful system can enable BC that wouldn't have been possible before without adding costs, such as SNES games running on the n3DS. Of course, as we've only got NES games available on Switch thus far it doesn't feel like emulation performance is what's holding Nintendo back from bringing their back-catalog to the console.

Larger jumps than what they've done has always certainly been possible. Nintendo revisions tend to focus on feature upgrades and the architecture revisions are always in service to that primairily. I'm not expecting Mariko to be radically different and my guess would be that job listing also entails engineering for future devices. Turing is more likely for Switch 2 than for Switch Plus/Mini imo.

This has been true in the past (eg super-stable 3D on the n3DS), and I have been wondering if there's a particular feature coming to the new Switch which would require a bit of extra performance, but I don't think we should necessarily assume that new Switch devices have to follow Nintendo's past patterns, when the Switch itself didn't follow Nintendo's past patterns. I've said in the past (long before the Switch was revealed) that I expected Nintendo to drop the generational upgrade pattern, and I think that's what's happening here. Instead of one big change every 5-6 years, we're seeing smaller, incremental changes every 2-3 years, allowing Nintendo to maintain the same software ecosystem and customer base over a long period, without the existential risk that comes with a generational refresh. Nintendo won't pursue power for power's sake, but they may push an incremental boost in power now rather than a compatibility-breaking big jump in power in 3 years time.

If they were compelled to use 7nm, I think they could have a monster device, but from everything we know and what they used in the overclocked Tegra X2, they aren't doing that.

To answer your question honestly though, the max Nvidia could do for $299 is a 512cuda core gpu at 1.5ghz for 1.5TFLOPs, with 6 core A73 at 2ghz and 4 core A53 at 2ghz, With 8GB 137GB/s RAM.

My highest expectations are roughly half of that, simply because Nintendo isn't creating a new platform and Switch is heavily discussed as Nintendo's final platform, only getting iterative upgrades and different form factors, but unlikely to be replaced for at least this next decade.

Another thing holding back this model is that the Switch Mini likely will use the same chip, they are going with 12nm because it's the cheapest process node they can use and achieve the best performance possible, it's also why I went with A73. These are the cheapest upgrades they can do, they just also happen to be the most efficient and a nice upgrade from the current model, it's also Turing that fills this solution objective too, cheaper to use a architecture already on a process node than to move an existing architecture to a new process node.

LDPPR4(X) with 137GB/s in Switch's form-factor just isn't feasible, as it would require 4 RAM chips, and I doubt they'd be able to squeeze them in (not to mention I can't see them doing that inside $299). If you really wanted loads of bandwidth you'd have to go with LPDDR5 (if it's available in time) or something crazy like HBM.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can, just not enough to do anything useful. Which is a shame, as ray tracing is far better suited to a console development environment where devs can rely on the hardware being there, and tightly optimizing around the configuration they've got. We'll see a Nintendo device with ray tracing at some point down the line, but not any time soon.
that relates to a question I've been thinking about. could Nvidia fit enough RT cores onto tegra to do mild functions like AO and reflections? maybe at 7nm?

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Hope they offer some different colors too, i just want the switch pro to be able to do 1080p docked at least

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hope they offer some different colors too, i just want the switch pro to be able to do 1080p docked at least
You're not gonna get 1080p for every game. That's for sure.
Maybe first party but I highly doubt that either. They would need a tremendous power boost to run Yoshi's Crafted World at 1080p for instance

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
According to the rumors we should be getting official info from Nintendo in the summer time. My guess is mid June at around e3 time. Hold off until then.
Maybe first party but I highly doubt that either. They would need a tremendous power boost to run Yoshi's Crafted World at 1080p for instance
2.25x from 720p to 1080p. If Yoshi's Crafted World's bottkeneck is bandwidth, might even require a little less GPU boost, so long as we get 8 GB ram w/ 58GB/s bandwidth in either cases.
I bet Nintendo will get the vast majority, if not aim for all 1st party Nintendo games to have 1080p adaptive resolution.

Regular demanding 1st poarty switch games might aim for 720p-900p on OG docked numbers, while switch pro could give you the full 1080p and perhaps a boost in framerate stability and some in fidelity as well. But any 720p game on current switch docked specs can easily get a 1080p resolution boost with 2.25x GPU, Ram, and bandwidth. A CPU with an equivalent boost can help with framerate.

Last edited:

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Let's try some math beforehand. Die size of the Tegra X1 is 118mm², IIRC.
Looking at the specs of the GeForce 20 series, each "unit" of 256 shaders seems to take up 42-50mm² at 12nm, but the configuration (shader/texture/render) of those is different to the X1 (256:16:16 for the X1 vs. 256:16:6.4 for the 20 series, so less render output units). Anyway, they would have 59mm² per 256 shaders available if they go for 512, so that should be enough for two "units" when they leave out the tensor cores. Each "unit" of those has 4 RT cores for the 20 series, so we would end up with 8 of those. The RTX 2060 has 30.
So: How many more than 8 can they fit depending on configuration (no tensor cores but more render output units?) and how many do they need to achieve a good result? And: Is it in any way sensible to calculate it this way or is this an over-simplification?

EDIT: Forgot the CPU.

Last edited:

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
:( im loving yoshi
Oo i see then a least 720p handheld

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
According to the rumors we should be getting official info from Nintendo in the summer time. My guess is mid June at around e3 time. Hold off until then.

2.25x from 720p to 1080p. If Yoshi's Crafted World's bottkeneck is bandwidth, might even require a little less GPU boost, so long as we get 8 GB ram w/ 58GB/s bandwidth in either cases.
I bet Nintendo will get the vast majority, if not aim for all 1st party Nintendo games to have 1080p adaptive resolution.

Regular demanding 1st poarty switch games might aim for 720p-900p on OG docked numbers, while switch pro could give you the full 1080p and perhaps a boost in framerate stability and some in fidelity as well. But any 720p game on current switch docked specs can easily get a 1080p resolution boost with 2.25x GPU, Ram, and bandwidth. A CPU with an equivalent boost can help with framerate.
Yoshi's Crafted World runs at 576p on average. To get from 576p to 1080p would be a major leap. Maybe 900p dynamic if the pro is a significant power boost

Also I believe we will heat about it before E3. E3 sees a large boost in console purchases, you could piss off a lot of consumers if they buy the console and then find put a better version is being released a few weeks later.
I think we'll hear about them at the FY report coming up

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yoshi's Crafted World runs at 576p on average. To get from 576p to 1080p would be a major leap. Maybe 900p dynamic if the pro is a significant power boost

Also I believe we will heat about it before E3. E3 sees a large boost in console purchases, you could piss off a lot of consumers if they buy the console and then find put a better version is being released a few weeks later.
It runs that low? I wonder what the bottleneck is. Must be bandwidth. Getting that 2.3x bandwidth could help out tremendously.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So I'll ask, assuming we just get a TX2 bog standard. What are the realistic clocks we can expect on the GPU and CPU side.
It literally can not be a bog standard Tegra X2 so it's not a thought exercise worth pursuing. Nvidia currently does not make a drop-in upgrade that would be 100% compatible with switch. Whatever the new SoC will be, it will be at least semi-custom (either an X1 die shrink, or a custom chip based on one of their other designs with full hardware level compatibility with the current switch).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It literally can not be a bog standard Tegra X2 so it's not a thought exercise worth pursuing. Nvidia currently does not make a drop-in upgrade that would be 100% compatible with switch. Whatever the new SoC will be, it will be at least semi-custom (either an X1 die shrink, or a custom chip based on one of their other designs with full hardware level compatibility with the current switch).

???

The TX2 has Denver cores which would be disabled like the A53s in the TX1. What else would have changed that would break compatibility?

Oct 26, 2017

It would be very unusual for a Nintendo to announce a revision at e3 for sure, but they announced one the following week once.

Oct 25, 2017
It's coming out this year, either the discounted one or the premium one so waiting is probably recommend unless you can find the normal one for a pretty big discount

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
The most realistic thing to expect would be a revision of the X1 with increases in clock speed and efficiency, probably from a die shrink. The cheaper switch would use the same chip but go with stock switch speeds and remove the active cooling and use a smaller battery than the current switch (probably get the same play time though due to efficiency saving)

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if 2.25x is guaranteed, but i think the major thing that needs addressing is the bandwidth issue that keeps switch 720p handheld games from being 1080p docked.

Yoshi seems like kind of a disaster for a game that was delayed a year.
I'm not sure if it's just using an older version of UE4, but it's pretty disappointing and I'm probably going to wait till the pro to consider getting it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
???

The TX2 has Denver cores which would be disabled like the A53s in the TX1. What else would have changed that would break compatibility?
it is figured out through data mining of the switch os it's bot a tx2. It's a new chip codenamed Mariko. It may be close to a tx2 in practice, but they cut the Denver cores for sure.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It runs that low? I wonder what the bottleneck is. Must be bandwidth. Getting that 2.3x bandwidth could help out tremendously.
Probably they are using an old version of UE4 which has more overhead to the current one? Hellblade runs at higher res and looks more demanding to me, but I'm no expert.

It's a 60fps UE4 game. That is not an easy task. Several 60 fps UE4 games run at 720p on Xbox One like KH III or Tekken 7.
Hellblade runs at half the framerate.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think that the different switch models will have exclusives? I hope not.
They will, just like every previous Nintendo architecture upgrade revision. There will be forwards/cross compatible games, exclusive games and hopefully backwards compatible enhancements for existing games.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
They will, just like every previous Nintendo architecture upgrade revision. There will be forwards/cross compatible games, exclusive games and hopefully backwards compatible enhancements for existing games.
I don't think we can say with that much certainty it'll be like the handhelds tbh.
Different architecture, different times (competition doing their own enhanced models), different leadership...

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
So, reading this thread I am unsure which way we are leaning on the Switch PRO.

1) Tegra X1, but with die shrink and maintaining Maxwell GPU
2) Tegra X1, but with die shrink and with Pascal GPU
3) Tegra X2, but perhaps without the additional CPU cores

Which option is most likely and least likely?

Oct 25, 2017
From Nintendo I don't think they would/should.
Perhaps from 3rd parties, but I wouldn't make a lot of sense for the first few years since the installbase is low and the current switch is too new.

DSi had exclusives, but it's mostly for new hardware features (digital shop, camera, etc)
New 3DS mostly just had ports from Nintendo's more capable machines, but this will be Nintendo's strongest hardware to date

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite sure what you mean here. Can you expand?
Somebody data mined the switch os and found references to a new chip codenamed Mariko. We really know nothing about Mariko for sure, except that it's not a stock tx2.

It may be the chip nvidia is using for the next shield, it may be a private semi custom chip they are making for Nintendo alone, we don't know. It's highly probable either way that it's not using the Denver cores of the tx2 because it's not a good gaming cpu.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we can say with that much certainty it'll be like the handhelds tbh.
Different architecture, different times (competition doing their own enhanced models), different leadership...
I think we can. This isn't the first time Nintendo's shifted leadership or found themselves in a shifting market, they won't institiute an "all compatibility" mandate like Sony or MS, even if they appear to follow one themselves.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
From Nintendo I don't think they would/should.
Perhaps from 3rd parties, but I wouldn't make a lot of sense for the first few years since the installbase is low and the current switch is too new.

DSi had exclusives, but it's mostly for new hardware features (digital shop, camera, etc)
New 3DS mostly just had ports from Nintendo's more capable machines, but this will be Nintendo's strongest hardware to date
Yeah, I don't many or maybe even any exclusives from Nintendo. It'll be a 3rd party port thing for titles that just couldn't scale down to OG Switch but maybe Plus raises the baseline enough for a port to be viable. Something like FFXV or Rage 2 might be a good example. And even then I don't expect a lot of that to happen but Nintendo also won't stop it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't many or maybe even any exclusives from Nintendo. It'll be a 3rd party port thing for titles that just couldn't scale down to OG Switch but maybe Plus raises the baseline enough for a port to be viable. Something like FFXV or Rage 2 might be a good example. And even then I don't expect a lot of that to happen but Nintendo also won't stop it.
I think it'll at most be like Hyrule Warriors on 3DS.
Being rather rough/paired back on the original but better on pro.
Devs might not be ok pairing games back that much on Switch now, but might be more ok with it with the pro

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
for the most part no. I think, at it's most extreme, some games will be limited to docked on the OG switch as it will have the minimum amount of power to run some games.
The current difference between docked/undocked is basically GPU speed. Unless it's using the GPU for CPU-type functions, anything that can run docked should be able to run undocked at a lower resolution/framerate and/or with fewer effects.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They won't want to shit on the og Switch userbase that much with exclusive ports that will look better on Switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.