• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
First of all, sorry for my late answer, was a bit busy these last days.

It's selling great but Nintendo at the latest investors meeting said they failed at trying to conveny the appeal of the Switch to new consumers. I think it would be silly to go into its third year without a price drop of any kind.

Exactly, I also believe this new Switch will simply replace the current model, become the next standard model and will feel like a premium model just like the New 3DS was compared to the OG 3DS. That's why I really doubt they will let the Switch at 330 euros, that's its price in Europe or at least in my country (sometimes it gets to 310 but rarely), I can tell you that "3" in there really scares some parents off. If they keep the same price point as the current model then it means the New Switch will be more than 300 euros. By releasing a New Switch and a portable only model it means you're not giving consumers the option to buy a cheaper Switch. Is there a market for a handheld console? Not as big as a few years ago but sure there is. Are there parents who are getting a PS4 for their kids cause it's way cheaper than a Switch? Yes.

Actually the 2DS needed a change of name because it had no 3D and you could play all of the games at the time of its release, it's a totally different scenario. As I say above, it's a totally different case, if you bought a GameBoy Color you got to play all the games, if you got a New 3DS you could play all the games.

I'm ignoring it because it doesn't exist, nowhere in the WSJ it says the cheaper model will have a "very different design", they quote one person who has played BOTH models saying we will be surprised with its shape. That doesn't mean it has to be a different design or form factor. The DS Lite was so thinner compared to the OG DS that it felt like a new console, it's amazing how Nintendo had released such a fat console just two years before. The Game Boy Micro was also surprising, but did anything change in it compared to the other models? Not really, it was still the same console.

Even if it's a 1% of unplayable games the problem is that those games are the ones made for the audience the revision is supposedly made for. They won't release a console for families and kids in which you can't play Super Mario Party, Labo or Just Dance. As I said before, I believe thats where we disagree, I think the cheaper model is for casuals and kids.

The New 3DS released much later than the 2DS, it released in Japan in 2014 but there was no 2DS in Japan at the time. You could play all of the games at the time of its release and in the end all 3DS games became playable with the New 2DS. You can't compare, they're totally different situations.

The 3D, SNES games or clamshell design didn't affect gameplay at all.

In any case, I guess we'll find out soon, I'll be getting this Switch Mini anyway and I think it's a great idea for those who simply want to play games like BOTW or MP4 on the go, but I feel like Nintendo may want to reach a bigger audience than that and it should offer something different than a traditional handheld experience if they want people to carry a Switch instead of a smartphone, I'm sure that whatever they release it'll be a great product.

"I want to have my own Nintendo Switch console" basically means personally device.
But of course, like he wrote, not every person will buy Switch just for itself or for instance Switch Mini/Pocket, some will have Switch Mini/Pocket and regular Switch, some only regular Switch, some only Switch Mini/Pocket...there will be of course be people that will have multiple Switch units per house, so this software update makes sense in any case.

First of all, sorry for my late answer, was a bit busy these last days.

It's selling great but Nintendo at the latest investors meeting said they failed at trying to conveny the appeal of the Switch to new consumers. I think it would be silly to go into its third year without a price drop of any kind.

Damn, I hopped we want continue with this any more. :D

That dont change nothing, sales were very good despite they didnt had big game most of year, only real big games were released in Q4 of year and that was main reason why they ddint hit they goal, and just with much stronger lineup this year and possible bundles, sales would be better this year in any case than they were last year even with same price point. Of Course any kind of revision (and price point of that revision can only effect on stronger sales).

Exactly, I also believe this new Switch will simply replace the current model, become the next standard model and will feel like a premium model just like the New 3DS was compared to the OG 3DS. That's why I really doubt they will let the Switch at 330 euros, that's its price in Europe or at least in my country (sometimes it gets to 310 but rarely), I can tell you that "3" in there really scares some parents off. If they keep the same price point as the current model then it means the New Switch will be more than 300 euros. By releasing a New Switch and a portable only model it means you're not giving consumers the option to buy a cheaper Switch. Is there a market for a handheld console? Not as big as a few years ago but sure there is. Are there parents who are getting a PS4 for their kids cause it's way cheaper than a Switch? Yes.

How much Switch costs in your country is irelevent, we know that current Switch in Europe, US and Japan is around $300/euros, and thats price point I taking about.
Actually you giving consumers that don't need hybrid nature of Switch low price option, thats hole point of Switch Mini/Pocket revision,
to others that care about current Switch you gaving higher value for same price point and potential bundle.
Offcourse there is market for handheld revision, one of main reasons why Switch is selling so great is handheld side of Switch, I mean 3DS sold 75m units.
Switch in any case is very different to PS4, so how much Switch costs compared to PS4 is irrelevant (espacilly now when PS4 sales are slowing down and entering its last years), from Switch launch we saw that both PS4 and Switch are selling great in same time.

Actually the 2DS needed a change of name because it had no 3D and you could play all of the games at the time of its release, it's a totally different scenario. As I say above, it's a totally different case, if you bought a GameBoy Color you got to play all the games, if you got a New 3DS you could play all the games.

They needed to change a little name, 2DS and 3DS are very similar names, and every person said that "Switch" would get something like "Pocket/Go/Mini.." in naming with its low price point revision.
It doesnt really matter, point is that in both cases you couldn't play every game on every revision, and that fact is that we talking about same platform.

I'm ignoring it because it doesn't exist, nowhere in the WSJ it says the cheaper model will have a "very different design", they quote one person who has played BOTH models saying we will be surprised with its shape. That doesn't mean it has to be a different design or form factor. The DS Lite was so thinner compared to the OG DS that it felt like a new console, it's amazing how Nintendo had released such a fat console just two years before. The Game Boy Micro was also surprising, but did anything change in it compared to the other models? Not really, it was still the same console.

Well you are obviously wrong, he did said designs different from the original and you'd be surprised, and based on people (not based on one person):
"My latest on new Nintendo Switch coming as early as this summer. There would be two models, and people who've seen them said designs of new devices are "different from the original and you'd be surprised".

That's actually main report from WSJ, you cant really stick to info that you likes and ignore part that you dont like and thats not in line with your way of thinking.
So yeah, we obviously talking about different kind of designs, at least based on WSJ report.

Even if it's a 1% of unplayable games the problem is that those games are the ones made for the audience the revision is supposedly made for. They won't release a console for families and kids in which you can't play Super Mario Party, Labo or Just Dance. As I said before, I believe thats where we disagree, I think the cheaper model is for casuals and kids.

Again wrong, those games are made with family play on mind, not for handheld users, thats why those games dont support handheld play in first place, so nothing really changes.
And no, 1% of games don't change nothing, especially when we don't talk about biggest and most popular Switch games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing) in any case.

The New 3DS released much later than the 2DS, it released in Japan in 2014 but there was no 2DS in Japan at the time. You could play all of the games at the time of its release and in the end all 3DS games became playable with the New 2DS. You can't compare, they're totally different situations.

That doesnt change anuthing about what I wrote, they have some differences, but differences going in favour of my point because 3DS will be dead this year and Nintendo will not have low price offer for handheld users any more, $200 Switch/Mini pocket would fit perfectly like market replacement for 3DS on market.

The 3D, SNES games or clamshell design didn't affect gameplay at all

3D was biggest feature of 3DS and they cut in order to have low price 3DS offer, point of SNES games is that they couldn't be played with low price point revision.

Yeah, I also think we will find soon enough, in next 2 month latest.
Thing is that Switch is only Nintendo platform going forward, from this year they will not have any more two platforms like before,
with that on mind they will have multiply kind of revisions and price points that are all parts of same platform, Switch has much more potential for different kind of revision and price points than 3DS (that had 5 of them) ever had. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Zoom feature for potentially helping to read text on a smaller display points to a smaller Switch also.
Not really. It's a standard accessibility feature available on pretty much literally everything out there (including PS4 and Xbox One). It's not just for small displays, but rather for poor vision in general. It's less a sign of potential future hardware and more Nintendo being far behind the curve on accessibility options.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people are curious, here's Nintendo's 1st party track record (US releases only) for arcitecture enhanced/exclusive software for their past revisions:

Game Boy Color enhanced
  • Tetris DX (Nintendo R&D1)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 2 (Tose Software)
  • Pocket Bomberman (Hudson Soft)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo R&D2)
  • Quest for Camelot (Titus Interactive)
  • Wario Land II (Nintendo R&D1)
  • Shadowgate Classic (Infinite Ventures)
  • Bugs Bunny: Crazy Castle 3 (Kemco)
  • Pokémon Pinball (Jupiter)
  • Conker's Pocket Tales (Rare) *contains both native DMG and CGB versions on 1 cart
  • R-Type DX (Bits Studios)
  • Disney's Beauty and the Beast: A Board Game Adventure (Leftfield Productions)
  • Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
  • NBA 3 on 3 Featuring Kobe Bryant (Leftfield Productions)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 3 (Tose Software)
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game (Hudson Soft)
  • Pokémon Gold / Silver Version (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
  • Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! (Pax Softnica)
Game Boy Color exclusive
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Nintendo R&D2)
  • Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest (Software Creations)
  • Mario Golf (Camelot Software Planning)
  • Mickey's Racing Adventure (Rare)
  • Star Wars: Episode I: Racer (Pax Softnica)
  • Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (Nintendo Software Technology)
  • Wario Land 3 (Nintendo R&D1)
  • Crystalis (Nintendo Software Technology)
  • Warlocked (Bits Studios)
  • The Little Mermaid II: Pinball Frenzy (Leftfield Productions)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Digital Eclipse)
  • Donkey Kong Country (Rare)
  • Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (Intelligent Systems)
  • Mario Tennis (Camelot Software Planning)
  • Mickey's Speedway USA (Rare)
  • Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (HAL Laboratory)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages / Seasons (Capcom, Flagship)
  • Pokémon Crystal Version (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
Nintendo DSi enhanced
  • Art Academy (Headstrong Games)
  • Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (Nintendo Software Technology)
  • Pokémon Black / White Version (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
  • Fossil Fighters: Champions (Red Entertainment, M2, ArtDink)
  • Pokémon Conquest (Koei Tecmo)
  • Pokémon Black / White Version 2 (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
Nintendo DSi exclusive
  • all DSiWare (Various) 82 releases
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced
  • Streetpass Mii Plaza (Various)
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Sora, Bandai Namco Studios)
  • Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (Intelligent Systems)
  • Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash (Skip)
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends (Omega Force, Koei Tecmo)
  • Stetchmo (Intelligent Systems)
  • Nintendo Badge Arcade (Nintendo SPD)
  • Pokémon Sun / Moon (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
  • Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo Software Technology)
  • Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World (Good-Feel)
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun / Moon (Game Freak, Creatures Inc)
  • might be more, info is spotty at best
New Nintendo 3DS exclusive
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Monster Games)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (Omega Force, Team Ninja)
  • all Super NES Virtual Console (Various) 30 releases

Absolutely ridiculous to put GameBoy Color games on this list. It was for all intents and purposes an entirely new console which came out nine years after the original GameBoy. It cannot be compared to the DSi and New 3DS.

Also, important to note that we got like five exclusive retail games for the DSi and New 3DS, and none of them sold very well. Switch Pro isn't getting exclusive games.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Well you are obviously wrong, he did said designs different from the original and you'd be surprised, and based on people (not based on one person):
"My latest on new Nintendo Switch coming as early as this summer. There would be two models, and people who've seen them said designs of new devices are "different from the original and you'd be surprised".

That's actually main report from WSJ, you cant really stick to info that you likes and ignore part that you dont like and thats not in line with your way of thinking.
So yeah, we obviously talking about different kind of designs, at least based on WSJ report.

I'm repeating myself here from several pages ago, but it says "designs" which can mean anything. If does not specify form factor, but I agree with you that it is likely that is changed at least a little if they change the design in any way, especially if they introduce two different models.
And: What is surprising to his sources and Mochi himself is up to them. We may not find the designs surprising at all.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I can. Right now, I have 1 Switch that I share with the kids & wife. If a new Switch came out that was better in portable mode, I'd be tempted to buy it, transfer all of my saves over to the new Switch (since I rarely use the Switch outside handheld mode) & leave the existing one as the family Switch.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
So the new firmware 8.0 that just released allows you to transfer individual save files between Switch systems. Now you can separate your switch from someone's saves who uses your device. (kids, partner, friends, roommates, parents) or you can move your saves to one of these new models coming later this year.
Yeah, timing of release of that option is very interesting.
Nintendo Switch Mini - June 2019
Just sayin'

Remember when people tried to draw the same lines when this video came out

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I can. Right now, I have 1 Switch that I share with the kids & wife. If a new Switch came out that was better in portable mode, I'd be tempted to buy it, transfer all of my saves over to the new Switch (since I rarely use the Switch outside handheld mode) & leave the existing one as the family Switch.

You can already do that operation with a system transfer that moves your profile, along with all of your saves. What they specifically added in this update, was an ability to just transfer the save files for an individual game. It does seem like the kinda thing that would be targeted to someone with multiple switches.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Remember when people tried to draw the same lines when this video came out

I don't, in any case WSJ specifically saying that Switch revision/s is coming this year and that we would know about that by E3,
so if thats true timing now has have much more sense than it had before.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So guies, how doomed is the switch pro now?

I do think, however, that the "surprise" third party ports will come to an end given the specs of the PS5 and the XBO2. At least until the Switch 2 in 2021 or some shit. How much longer the PS4 and XBO will be support will dictate a lot on that. But, if anyone has any other system, this will largely be a non-issue

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So guies, how doomed is the switch pro now?

I do think, however, that the "surprise" third party ports will come to an end given the specs of the PS5 and the XBO2. At least until the Switch 2 in 2021 or some shit. How much longer the PS4 and XBO will be support will dictate a lot on that. But, if anyone has any other system, this will largely be a non-issue

The PS4 and XB1 will get support until holiday 2022 IMO. That is the same timeline as a Switch 'Pro2' should release, as long as the Switch 'Pro' is capable of getting 720p support of 4K PS5 games, it shouldn't be hard to see support for the Switch Pro continue through 2024. It's been part of the iteration talks for a while now and nothing has changed. I'm still interested to see just how custom Navi is with it's Ray Tracing, because standard programmable shaders can do Ray Tracing and Cerny talked about Sound via Ray Tracing, to me that says that they will not have a very robust performance with it on. Heck it might even hold back performance of these new consoles, as we know that Ray Tracing can tank game performance, meaning that a Switch Pro might have a game run pretty well without ray tracing, while PS5 has it on.

It's really wait and see at this point, but if that Pastebin is correct about 14TFLOPs, it's going to be a similar gap to what we see now, as long as developers push 4K or Ray Tracing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous to put GameBoy Color games on this list. It was for all intents and purposes an entirely new console which came out nine years after the original GameBoy. It cannot be compared to the DSi and New 3DS.

Also, important to note that we got like five exclusive retail games for the DSi and New 3DS, and none of them sold very well. Switch Pro isn't getting exclusive games.
I'm not very interested in litigating this obvious truth but I'll just say Nintendo considers GBC an upgrade revision. And I think their opinion has just a wee bit more bearing than yours.

I expect Switch Plus or whatever it's called will get far fewer 1st party exclusives than n3DS, GBC or DSi. 3rd party may end up a different story but that probably depends on the spec bump itself.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not very interested in litigating this obvious truth but I'll just say Nintendo considers GBC an upgrade revision. And I think their opinion has just a wee bit more bearing than yours.

I expect Switch Plus or whatever it's called will get far fewer 1st party exclusives than n3DS, GBC or DSi. 3rd party may end up a different story but that probably depends on the spec bump itself.
I do agree here, Switch isn't limited like previous handhelds, it's a full featured desktop architecture with enough grunt for modern games, so Nintendo needing more power to meet some minimum requirement is hard to believe right now, I'd say that 3 years from now, that might change, which is another reason why iteration hardware is a more obvious move for Nintendo than anyone else. It won't hurt to keep their current userbase when seeking third party support either.

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo has the GB and GBC in the same group here while GBA is a separate one.
So officially, yeah, it's just an upgrade.

I don't see Nintendo making any exclusives for Switch pro.
DSi was due to digital storefront not being accessible on the original DS.
New 3DS were just two titles from nintendo? Xenoblade which wasn't really exclusive, but was ported from the Wii so theoretically a port wouldn't be possible on the OG 3DS.
FE Warriors was New 3DS exclusive, but also on Switch.

For now, there are no nintendo platforms more capable than Switch so nothing to downport from. Perhaps they'll ok it with a switch successor

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
"I want to have my own Nintendo Switch console" basically means personally device.
But of course, like he wrote, not every person will buy Switch just for itself or for instance Switch Mini/Pocket, some will have Switch Mini/Pocket and regular Switch, some only regular Switch, some only Switch Mini/Pocket...there will be of course be people that will have multiple Switch units per house, so this software update makes sense in any case.
"Not necessarily so that each person will have one, but so that each household will have multiple Nintendo Switch consoles"

Doesn't sound like personal device to me but rather many Switches shared across the family.

Damn, I hopped we want continue with this any more. :D

That dont change nothing, sales were very good despite they didnt had big game most of year, only real big games were released in Q4 of year and that was main reason why they ddint hit they goal, and just with much stronger lineup this year and possible bundles, sales would be better this year in any case than they were last year even with same price point. Of Course any kind of revision (and price point of that revision can only effect on stronger sales).
I think the debate is great, I don't care about being wrong, I'll buy whatever they release lol

Again, I don't think we will reach its third year with the same price as its release, they'll need to offer a cheaper version or get a price drop just like they've done with every single device so far. A handheld-only Switch Mini doesn't solve that problem, there's probably people who want a Switch, not a handheld only, but won't spend 330 euros on it. It's unlikely they will release the Pro Switch at 250 euros.

How much Switch costs in your country is irelevent, we know that current Switch in Europe, US and Japan is around $300/euros, and thats price point I taking about.
How is the european price irrelevant? It released at 330 euros, you can find it now somewhere for 310 or even 300 but that's with the current model which is more than two years old already, I expect this new model that will replace the current one to be at 330 euros again. Where's the cheap Switch?

Actually you giving consumers that don't need hybrid nature of Switch low price option, thats hole point of Switch Mini/Pocket revision,
to others that care about current Switch you gaving higher value for same price point and potential bundle.
Them not caring about the hybrid functions doesn't mean they can't enjoy all of the games if they ever felt like playing them.

Offcourse there is market for handheld revision, one of main reasons why Switch is selling so great is handheld side of Switch, I mean 3DS sold 75m units.
Switch in any case is very different to PS4, so how much Switch costs compared to PS4 is irrelevant (espacilly now when PS4 sales are slowing down and entering its last years), from Switch launch we saw that both PS4 and Switch are selling great in same time.
I'm not comparing Switch to PS4, what I'm saying is that if some parents want to get a home console for their kids and see the Switch is at 330 and the PS4 is 200 then they might get the PS4 instead, I'm sure it's happening quite often. Switch's great library and its functionality has made lot of people preffer a 330 euros Switch with no game rather than a 200 euros PS4 with 3 games bundled.

They needed to change a little name, 2DS and 3DS are very similar names, and every person said that "Switch" would get something like "Pocket/Go/Mini.." in naming with its low price point revision.
It doesnt really matter, point is that in both cases you couldn't play every game on every revision, and that fact is that we talking about same platform.
But they did change the name, it kept the DS because it had two screens, it was still a dual screen handheld, only without 3D. What is a Switch that doesn't Switch? It's simply a Nintendo Vita/GBA. I don't see how that would be attractive in 2019 when everyone is playing on smartphons, they need to offer something else apart from a great game library.

And you're wrong, you could play every single game on the 2DS. It's the New models that got exclusive games and they released later on anyway.

148172416_9a32417e13.jpg

500px-3_Game_Boy_Advance_Models.png

Different designs, same exact console. The Switch could get a different design and still be a Switch. It could have the same design, only with attached joy-cons, and it wouldn't be a Switch. Also, it's talking about both models.

Again wrong, those games are made with family play on mind, not for handheld users, thats why those games dont support handheld play in first place, so nothing really changes.
It does change. I don't think Nintendo will sell a console to families and not use that chance to promote the games they've made for families, it would be silly not to. They make most of the money from games, it would be weird if they sold a console for kids but kept the kids games for the premium model, they'll obviously want kids to get games like Labo, Super Mario Party or Let's Go.

And no, 1% of games don't change nothing, especially when we don't talk about biggest and most popular Switch games (Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing) in any case.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Mario Party is there on the 7th. 1-2 Switch won't be on the list next time but it's the 8th best selling game anyway so far. Also, games like Odyssey or Let's Go, while playable in handheld mode, make a big use of motion controls, they were a big part of its marketing campaign. And as I've said before, they're games they'll want the audience of the cheaper Switch to buy. Imagine they released a Pro Switch that can't play Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Prime 4, it's just 1%, so who cares?

That doesnt change anuthing about what I wrote, they have some differences, but differences going in favour of my point because 3DS will be dead this year and Nintendo will not have low price offer for handheld users any more, $200 Switch/Mini pocket would fit perfectly like market replacement for 3DS on market.
Who is saying they shouldn't have a low price point console for people who mostly care about portability? I just don't get why this has to automatically mean it removes its hybrid functionality.

3D was biggest feature of 3DS and they cut in order to have low price 3DS offer, point of SNES games is that they couldn't be played with low price point revision.
The 3D wasn't the 3DS biggest feature, it was an optional gimmick, it didn't affect gameplay and it wasn't even promoted by Nintendo itself. SNES games released in 2016, the 2DS released in 2013.

Yeah, I also think we will find soon enough, in next 2 month latest.
Thing is that Switch is only Nintendo platform going forward, from this year they will not have any more two platforms like before,
with that on mind they will have multiply kind of revisions and price points that are all parts of same platform, Switch has much more potential for different kind of revision and price points than 3DS (that had 5 of them) ever had. :)
Agree, but why should those cheaper options not be a Switch?

I guess it will all depend how they market this new model. If they aim it at core gamers who simply want to play BOTW on the go like some kind of Nintendo Vita then it's fine, but if they market it at kids and families I can tell you they'll confuse a lot of consumers. I've given the same example many times but I really wonder how some parents will feel when they buy Pokemon SwSh, Labo, Mario Party and this new cheaper Switch aimed at families and kids they've seen on TV and find out they can't play some of the games.

Switch Pro will get many exclusive games if the cheaper model abandons the modularity of the Switch.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
"Not necessarily so that each person will have one, but so that each household will have multiple Nintendo Switch consoles".

That basicly means what I wrote, that not every person will buy Switch for itself, and that offcourse there will different kind of combinations (person has own Switch, family has Switch for family play, household has Switch for family but some persons from that household also personal Switch...).

Also Nintendo before said that they ultimate goal with Switch is that Switch start selling like device per person instead of device per house.

Again, I don't think we will reach its third year with the same price as its release, they'll need to offer a cheaper version or get a price drop just like they've done with every single device so far. A handheld-only Switch Mini doesn't solve that problem, there's probably people who want a Switch, not a handheld only, but won't spend 330 euros on it. It's unlikely they will release the Pro Switch at 250 euros.
How is the european price irrelevant? It released at 330 euros, you can find it now somewhere for 310 or even 300 but that's with the current model which is more than two years old already, I expect this new model that will replace the current one to be at 330 euros again. Where's the cheap Switch?

Thats a point, fact is that they dont need, current sales proves that and sales can only be stronger with heavy hitters releasing, not to mentione potential bundles and improved revision.
In most of Europe price is 300 euros not 330, you can easily find for around 300 euros in biggest markets of Europe, look for isntance Amazon for France, Germany, Spain. Your country is not hole Europe, your country is just one part of Europe.

Them not caring about the hybrid functions doesn't mean they can't enjoy all of the games if they ever felt like playing them.

Them dont care about things they dont need or want means they are not willing to pay so much for things they dont need or want.

I'm not comparing Switch to PS4, what I'm saying is that if some parents want to get a home console for their kids and see the Switch is at 330 and the PS4 is 200 then they might get the PS4 instead, I'm sure it's happening quite often. Switch's great library and its functionality has made lot of people preffer a 330 euros Switch with no game rather than a 200 euros PS4 with 3 games bundled.

You comparing price points, and price point does not matters when we talking about very different platforms and games.

But they did change the name, it kept the DS because it had two screens, it was still a dual screen handheld, only without 3D. What is a Switch that doesn't Switch? It's simply a Nintendo Vita/GBA.
I don't see how that would be attractive in 2019 when everyone is playing on smartphons, they need to offer something else apart from a great game library.
And you're wrong, you could play every single game on the 2DS. It's the New models that got exclusive games and they released later on anyway.

They changed name one number, with 2 instead of 3, yeah night and day difference. :D
Offcourse that they need to have 2 screens with revisions also because games are designed to work on two screen, same cant be said for Switch concept and games, 99% of games could be played only in handheld mode or only in docked mode.
No they dont, 3DS proves that, and Switch has much bigger and stronger games than 3DS had, and Switch actualy offers something that phones dont,
and thats full home console games on to go.
No I am not, point is that not every game could be played on every 3DS revision, thats my point.

But they did change the name, it kept the DS because it had two screens, it was still a dual screen handheld, only without 3D. What is a Switch that doesn't Switch? It's simply a Nintendo Vita/GBA. I don't see how that would be attractive in 2019 when everyone is playing on smartphons, they need to offer something else apart from a great game library.

You need to realise that Switch is more than just one concept, Switch is a platform, and if you have revison thats part of platform and plays same games (at least 99% of games) offcourse you cant have some totally different name, Switch would need to be part of that naming in any case.

Different designs, same exact console. The Switch could get a different design and still be a Switch. It could have the same design, only with attached joy-cons, and it wouldn't be a Switch. Also, it's talking about both models.

First your point is that we don't talk about different design, so you are obviously wrong. It could, but with all infos we having it doesnt look like that at all, at least for low price point offer.

It does change. I don't think Nintendo will sell a console to families and not use that chance to promote the games they've made for families, it would be silly not to. They make most of the money from games, it would be weird if they sold a console for kids but kept the kids games for the premium model, they'll obviously want kids to get games like Labo, Super Mario Party or Let's Go.

Already answered, point of Switch Mini/Pocket are not family buyers (unless we talking about familys with multiply kids where every kid gets its Switch), I mean every info we having saying that we talking about handheld focused revision with cut features for single player expariance, that oposite to games you keep mentioning because main point of those games are multiplayer, TV play and sharing Joy Cons. There is reason why those games cant be played in handheld mode.

Mario Party is there on the 7th. 1-2 Switch won't be on the list next time but it's the 8th best selling game anyway so far. Also, games like Odyssey or Let's Go, while playable in handheld mode, make a big use of motion controls, they were a big part of its marketing campaign. And as I've said before, they're games they'll want the audience of the cheaper Switch to buy. Imagine they released a Pro Switch that can't play Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Prime 4, it's just 1%, so who cares?

Yeah 7th, not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6.
Motions controls are optional with reason.
You missing point again, those games are not playable even now in handheld mode, so nothing changes for people that wants only handheld play.

Who is saying they shouldn't have a low price point console for people who mostly care about portability? I just don't get why this has to automatically mean it removes its hybrid functionality.

I answered that few times to you, because if Nintendo wants notcible cheaper, smaller, more durable, more handheld focused revision,
best way to do that is by making revision that has built in controls.

The 3D wasn't the 3DS biggest feature, it was an optional gimmick, it didn't affect gameplay and it wasn't even promoted by Nintendo itself. SNES games released in 2016, the 2DS released in 2013.

Fact it is, is also only difference compared to DS, I mean they even named 3DS because 3D.
Doesn't matter when SNES was released, point is that cant play SNES games on 2DS.

I guess it will all depend how they market this new model. If they aim it at core gamers who simply want to play BOTW on the go like some kind of Nintendo Vita then it's fine, but if they market it at kids and families I can tell you they'll confuse a lot of consumers. I've given the same example many times but I really wonder how some parents will feel when they buy Pokemon SwSh, Labo, Mario Party and this new cheaper Switch aimed at families and kids they've seen on TV and find out they can't play some of the games.

Market would be simple, playing biggest Nintendo games (Zelda BotW, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros, Pokemon Lets Go, Mario Maker, Animal Crossing..) and biggest 3rd party games (Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, Diablo 3, Rocket League, Dark Souls, Fortnite, Mortal Kombat..) in handheld only mode for less money.

I think the debate is great, I don't care about being wrong, I'll buy whatever they release lol

I dont because I am forced to constantly bring over and over same clear points or facts, while on other hand your point are very offten wrong,
so I actually think this is pointless, so I will not continue any more with this.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
My question is what about game carts cost. Still looking for big AAA titles like next GTA maybe a dream. There is optimizations but still thinking this issue is keeping switch from getting big titles.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
My question is what about game carts cost. Still looking for big AAA titles like next GTA maybe a dream. There is optimizations but still thinking this issue is keeping switch from getting big titles.
Flash media is tumbling in price, cart cost issues won't stop games from coming in 2 or 3 years when next gen revs up.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Flash media is tumbling in price, cart cost issues won't stop games from coming in 2 or 3 years when next gen revs up.
Most developers still haven't jumped above the 16GB cart bandwagon. Hopefully they do by the end of the year. Maybe a switch pro could give then a reason too? But then again if we get compatibility with switch OG games and switch pro gets enhanced textures, they could just release via patch on eshop anyway

Last edited:

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming there is another, more powerful revision, released another 2 years down the line, where would that place the device in relation to the PS5 specs from today?

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Still, if the PS5 is targeting 4K@60fps (or even 120fps, native 8K should be out of reach even if Cerny talked about 8K output), the NSW2 (in 2021? 2022? 2023?) needs only 1/8 GPU power to be able to play those at 1080p@30fps (with the same effects? except ray tracing). Might be possible if we are talking about ~1.75 TF (14/8) the Switch would need. Bandwidth and CPU may be larger problems.

EDIT: Some clarification that I did not mean the NSW+ but the NSW2. NSW+ might be fine for some downports of cross-gen titles, but that's another topic.

Last edited:

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm, I think that the way the market and gaming history treats the GBC is more concrete than what "Nintendo thinks", which we have such limited information on anyway compared to what everyone else thinks it ends up being pretty irrelevant. Look at the wiki pages, games listings, articles, reviews, press reports etc about the GB and GBC. Then look at the same for the DS and DSi, or the 3DS and New 3DS. Notice any difference?

Also, look up the definition of 'litigating' before you use it next, lmfao.

You realise that 3rd parties can't just do what they like, right? Nintendo have to actually allow them to make exclusive games for the Switch Pro, which they're clearly not going to do, two years into the lifespan of their most successful console since the Wii.

Switch Pro will get many exclusive games if the cheaper model abandons the modularity of the Switch.

A) you know that's not what I meant, and B) if it has attached JoyCons, you can simply buy other JoyCons separately. It won't make games like Mario Party 'exclusive', it'll just mean you can't play them out of the box, like many games in the past which have required additional peripherals.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The PS4 and XB1 will get support until holiday 2022 IMO. That is the same timeline as a Switch 'Pro2' should release, as long as the Switch 'Pro' is capable of getting 720p support of 4K PS5 games, it shouldn't be hard to see support for the Switch Pro continue through 2024. It's been part of the iteration talks for a while now and nothing has changed. I'm still interested to see just how custom Navi is with it's Ray Tracing, because standard programmable shaders can do Ray Tracing and Cerny talked about Sound via Ray Tracing, to me that says that they will not have a very robust performance with it on. Heck it might even hold back performance of these new consoles, as we know that Ray Tracing can tank game performance, meaning that a Switch Pro might have a game run pretty well without ray tracing, while PS5 has it on.

It's really wait and see at this point, but if that Pastebin is correct about 14TFLOPs, it's going to be a similar gap to what we see now, as long as developers push 4K or Ray Tracing.

There's so much more to the PS5 than just a resolution bump, that I think it's very unrealistic to think you can just bump a game down to 720p and all is well. Do you also believe that third parties will port games that can only run on a Switch Pro? Doesn't seem like a good investment of resources.

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a cross post from another thread:

[Speculation that Nintendo might be launching a switch revision with Mario Maker since it still lacks a release date while many other titles releasing later have one]
Might make sense why so many Nintendo published games are out June/July.

Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses in less than 2 months is overkill unless it's the launch line up for a new revision.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a cross post from another thread:

[Speculation that Nintendo might be launching a switch revision with Mario Maker since it still lacks a release date while many other titles releasing later have one]
Might make sense why so many Nintendo published games are out June/July.

Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses in less than 2 months is overkill unless it's the launch line up for a new revision.
I could see it. Those months are strangely packed.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
A) you know that's not what I meant, and B) if it has attached JoyCons, you can simply buy other JoyCons separately. It won't make games like Mario Party 'exclusive', it'll just mean you can't play them out of the box, like many games in the past which have required additional peripherals.
You were talking about exclusive games, I guessed it doesn't matter whether it's for power or hardware design. And with a Switch Mini there would be exclusive games. Mario Party is exclusive out of the box and Labo is totally unplayable. DSi had exclusive games but also had a couple of games (Guitar Hero) that you couldn't play with it. I agree with you, I think we won't see exclusive games in this Switch Pro and that they want all games playable across every single Switch device. My guess tho is that some games will simply not run so well on the cheaper model so they'll kinda force people to get the so-called Pro model if interested in 3rd party games or stuff like Metroid, while casual/family games like Mario and Animal Crossing will run the same on both models. Let's say for example that MP4 runs at 600p 30fps on the cheaper model while it's 900p 60fps in the Pro model, I'm sure a kid won't mind about it but some core gamer will be "forced" to get the Pro model.
those are weird months to have so many games
Fire Emblem was initially going to release sooner. I think a revision is coming sooner than we think tho.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo won't abandon modularity with the mini, they'll offload it. Like you'll still be able to use joycons and a dock with your mini but you'll have to buy them separately.

Hmm, I think that the way the market and gaming history treats the GBC is more concrete than what "Nintendo thinks", which we have such limited information on anyway compared to what everyone else thinks it ends up being pretty irrelevant. Look at the wiki pages, games listings, articles, reviews, press reports etc about the GB and GBC. Then look at the same for the DS and DSi, or the 3DS and New 3DS. Notice any difference?

Also, look up the definition of 'litigating' before you use it next, lmfao.
Your interpretation of "gaming history" is what's actually irrelevant. Unlike Nintendo's position on it, which is hardly a mystery. Look at any of their IR or historical data, according to Nintendo GB and GBC are the same platform.

And uh, I used litigating correctly? Maybe I'm not the one who needs to look up the definition here?

You realise that 3rd parties can't just do what they like, right? Nintendo have to actually allow them to make exclusive games for the Switch Pro, which they're clearly not going to do, two years into the lifespan of their most successful console since the Wii.
Nintendo's not going to prevent 3rd parties from doing whatever they want with the Plus. If you think otherwise you clearly haven't been paying attention.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If Nintendo gets a hinge design for the portable device, that could be all they need to still call it a Switch. Cause it's like a flip...switch...

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still, if the PS5 is targeting 4K@60fps (or even 8K as Cerny said), the Switch needs only 1/8 GPU power to be able to play those at 1080p@30fps (with the same effects? except ray tracing). Might be possible if we are talking about ~1.75 TF (14/8) the Switch would need. Bandwidth and CPU may be larger problems.

As long as there are no exclusive games for subsequent Switch consoles (which I highly doubt there will be after New 3DS) then possible Switch ports will always be held back massively by the 1GHz, 4 core, ARM CPU the current Switch has.

I honestly wouldn't expect many AAA third party games for Switch. It has already shown it can be incredibly successful with Nintendo exclusives, Remasters of old exclusives, indie games, last gen ports and a few choice current gen only games like DOOM and Wolf II (where the environments are relatively small and the games target 60fps on base consoles meaning developers get a lot of rendering time to play with when downporting it to Switch by instead targeting 30fps).

I really don't see the issue. If people want to play the latest and greatest AAA third party games enough then just pick up a cheap PS4 or XB1.

I'm expecting the 'Pro' Switch to have double the GPU flops and memory bandwidth meaning more games hit 720p native in handheld mode and 1080p in docked mode. Nothing more. I doubt the 'Pro' will have much bearing on third party support at all.

The people expecting PS5 / XB2 downports should really temper their expectations. If Switch doesn't get many current gen only PS4 / XB1 ports then it only takes the use of common sense to guess what's going to happen when third parties turn their full attention to the next gen consoles.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't expect many AAA third party games for Switch. It has already shown it can be incredibly successful with Nintendo exclusives, Remasters of old exclusives, indie games, last gen ports and a few choice current gen only games like DOOM and Wolf II (where the environments are relatively small and the games target 60fps on base consoles meaning developers get a lot of rendering time to play with when downporting it to Switch by instead targeting 30fps).
I don't agree. I think the Switch has proven 3rd party AAA titles are viable on the platform, even if they do come in late to the party. Not only is it profitable to people who are douple dippers, but they also manage to snag previous people who were on the fence but decided to pass up launch for a "GotY version", such as the case with Dragon Quest XI S.

And its portable, which makes downporting all a more worthwhile endeavor. A game like Hellblade, for instance is perfect on a long plane trip.

I expect deals to be made for 3rd parties to take advantage of "Switch Pro" feature sets. A lot of people here are just assuming a simple spec bump update...

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Portable-focused Switch could still support docking. They could cut peak performance and cooling, but let it output portable-mode 720p video to a TV. Keeps the Switch name reasonable. No socketable joycons but you can purchase them separately and there are charging rails on the Switch Lite dock.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's not going to prevent 3rd parties from doing whatever they want with the Plus. If you think otherwise you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Please show me an example of a third party releasing exclusive games on an upgraded system which hasn't been designed or marketed as running exclusive games.

But really, it's irrelevant- if Nintendo aren't going market the console as supporting exclusive games, no 3rd party is going to make exclusives for it as it would be commercial suicide.

And uh, I used litigating correctly? Maybe I'm not the one who needs to look up the definition here?

Litigate: to ask for a disagreement to be discussed in a court of law so that a judgment can be made that must be accepted by both sides in the argument.

It's a legal term, used outside of that context it sounds absolutely ridiculous and doesn't make sense. You were saying, quite literally, that you didn't want to go to court to settle our dispute. All I can say is that is incredibly kind of you- you are indeed a supreme gentleman.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Please show me an example of a third party releasing exclusive games on an upgraded system which hasn't been designed or marketed as running exclusive games.

But really, it's irrelevant- if Nintendo aren't going market the console as supporting exclusive games, no 3rd party is going to make exclusives for it as it would be commercial suicide.
Uh, you mean like GBC, DSi or n3DS? Switch Plus will be right in line with those, like every Nintendo revision.

I'm not expecting a ton of exclusives here but for the occasional 3rd party port that maybe can't scale down far enough but publishers still want on the platform it can make sense. FFXV or Rage 2 are probably good examples of that. It really depends on how much more headroom the Plus provides though.

Litigate: to ask for a disagreement to be discussed in a court of law so that a judgment can be made that must be accepted by both sides in the argument.

It's a legal term, used outside of that context it sounds absolutely ridiculous and doesn't make sense. You were saying, quite literally, that you didn't want to go to court to settle our dispute. All I can say is that is incredibly kind of you- you are indeed a supreme gentleman.
Litigate is used outside legal proceedings to imply a general dispute. It's a term of speech.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/litigate

verb (used with object), lit·i·gat·ed, lit·i·gat·ing.
1. to make the subject of a lawsuit; contest at law.
2. Archaic. to dispute (a point, assertion, etc.).

verb (used without object), lit·i·gat·ed, lit·i·gat·ing.
3. to carry on a lawsuit.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, you mean like GBC, DSi or n3DS? Switch Plus will be right in line with those, like every Nintendo revision.

Nintendo released first party exclusives on all those devices, as marketed them as having exclusive games. My argument is that if Nintendo don't do all those things, no 3rd party is going to take that risk and release a Switch Pro-only game, if Nintendo would even allow them to, which is debatable. Nintendo obviously have the power to say what is released on their own console. Sony did the same thing, when they stated that there would be absolutely no exclusives for the PS4 Pro.

Litigate is used outside legal proceedings to imply a general dispute. It's a term of speech.

2. Archaic. to dispute (a point, assertion, etc.).

Do you need me to look up a definition of archaic for you, too?

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Still, if the PS5 is targeting 4K@60fps (or even 8K as Cerny said), the Switch needs only 1/8 GPU power to be able to play those at 1080p@30fps (with the same effects? except ray tracing). Might be possible if we are talking about ~1.75 TF (14/8) the Switch would need. Bandwidth and CPU may be larger problems.
The CPU is a killer. It'll be a long time before an ARM matches a 8 core 16 thread 7nm Ryzen CPU which will have much better cooling and wattage available. Switch was grand when it was against shitty Jaguar cores.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be best if they revealed both of these at the same time for people that are unaware that either exist

If they reveal only the portable at e3 and person goes out and buys it when it releases, then just a few months later in September they announce the pro, that person will feel cheated imo that they weren't aware of another version coming out that they could have had another option of buying

I think the average person needs to be aware that both of these exist before they buy one

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo released first party exclusives on all those devices, as marketed them as having exclusive games. My argument is that if Nintendo don't do all those things, no 3rd party is going to take that risk and release a Switch Pro-only game, if Nintendo would even allow them to, which is debatable. Nintendo obviously have the power to say what is released on their own console. Sony did the same thing, when they stated that there would be absolutely no exclusives for the PS4 Pro.
Nintendo might release Plus exclusives too, we don't know. They didn't launch GBC or n3DS will any exclusives though (DSi did with DSiWare), and exclusives weren't a major part of marketing for any of them, the emphasis was on feature improvements and in the case of GBC/n3DS much of that on how it improves existing software you already own (color palettes, super stable 3D). DSi had probably the greatest emphasis on exclusives (and also the most exclusive software) but even that was isolated to the digital store almost completely. GBC gained exclusives as it went on (and it's success pushed GBA back a year+) but upfront it was very much treated like a Game Boy with a color screen. n3DS never got much in the way of games that took advantage of the hardware (either exclusive or enhanced) but there was still some stuff. It's not difficult to guess what will or won't be permitted in a Switch revision given Nintendo's track record here. Which is far more relevant than what Sony's done.

Do you need me to look up a definition of archaic for you, too?
Wow. You really can't handle being wrong can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.