• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't mind a Switch successor coming relatively soon if we get BC alongside it. I feel like Nintendo had an excuse with the 3DS's unique format/the Wii U's disc system, but hopefully they go back to their old ways and we can play all our Switch titles on the Switch 2.

That said... looooots of reasons why they wouldn't.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I can assure you the games I listed (including certain last gen games) won't run at acceptable framerates on Switch due to it's combination of cores / threads / clock speed. Remember the CPU's in PS360 were incredible for their time and ran at 3.2GHz. The current gen CPU's in PS4XB1 are only about 20-40% better in real World results compared to the CPU's in PS360 (from what I've been told).

Of course there are games where it's a publisher issues. It's best not to speak in absolutes.

Just at looking at Switch specs its very obvious that Switch is noticeable more capable than PS3/360,
I mean there is reason why almost every last gen ports looks better, runs at higher resolution and at better frame rate than it did on PS3/360.
Only example where frame rate is a little worse than it is on PS3 is La Noire (but despite that frame rate has higher resolution, better textures, lightning, shadows..) but Digital Foundry reported thats because hole engine and game was made with PS3 CPU cell on mind, so porting game to totally different hardware will not gave best result.
So with all that on mind, saying that any last gen game "won't run at acceptable framerate" on Switch sounds strange,
with more demanding games like GTA5 they would just need little to adjust port to Switch hardware and you would get better port than it was on PS3/360 (like we saw with every other last gen game).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as how we know the Switch can be overclocked to run full dock mode in portable mode, why doesn't Nintendo just do this:

Make a new "Pro Model" Switch performance mode setting. 384 gigaflop low performance mode, 750-1000 gigaflop docked (Pro model only)

Offer a cheap $29.99 battery pak portable stand (official from Nintendo) for OG Switch owners. This will allow the OG Switch to run at least the lower end "Pro" games even portably. Extra 5000 MaH battery is dirt cheap and use of the plastic stand can be recommended to avoid the system getting too warm in one's hands. OG Switch can only run the 384 gigaflop mode.

Switch Pro (new system revision) can run games at a 384 gigaflop undocked + 750-1000 gigaflop docked.

But this way you won't have a splintering of the userbase, the old Switch models should be able to run all games just in the 384 gigaflop mode. Performance for OG Switch would be the same for docked/undocked using this setup.

There probably are a fair number of PS4/XB1 games that can run on the Switch at 384 gigaflops if you removed the bottleneck of the old 153 gigaflop mode ... it may have to be at a low resolution like 600p + 30 fps only, but hey it's better than nothing.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They problem is that the lowest level hardware uses way more RT cores that can fit on a mobile chip. It's out of the question unless Nvidia wants to make a separate daughter die dedicated to RT
yeah even though I mentioned it with Thraktor, I absolutely doubt that Nvidia and Nintendo would want to use RT and Tensor cores for a Switch form factor... It's much more likely as a standalone console that doubles as a dock, but for what it is worth, Xavier does have 512 Cuda Cores and 64 Tensor cores, it takes up 89mm^2 for the entire GPU die on 12nm... Granted 7nm+ could be used for a Switch Pro2, so you could be looking at less than 40mm^2 for just the GPU here, so a SoC for Switch is possible, though you'd want it to have 1024 or 1280 cuda cores, if you could add that to what they did with Xavier and fit in the right amount of RT cores, you'd get something like 1280 Cuda cores, 144 Tensor cores and 20 RT cores, clocked at say 1.5GHz when docked. The RTX 2060 has 1920 cuda cores, 240 Tensor cores and 30 RT cores and clocks at 1.7GHz in boost, so still quite a bit below that, still if your target is 720p, it could work...

My issue is that you'd be much better suited to just have more Cuda Cores instead of all that extra RT stuff, you could have a 1920 cuda core GPU in the same size possibly, and wouldn't that be far better for performance and attracting 3rd parties. PS5 won't even focus on RT cores either so best to release your solution as an optional device or wait for the following generation when maybe they have a more efficient way to do Ray Tracing than 3 separate core blocks.
Seeing as how we know the Switch can be overclocked to run full dock mode in portable mode, why doesn't Nintendo just do this:

Make a new "Pro Model" Switch performance mode setting. 384 gigaflop low performance mode, 750-1000 gigaflop docked (Pro model only)

Offer a cheap $29.99 battery pak portable stand (official from Nintendo) for OG Switch owners. This will allow the OG Switch to run at least the lower end "Pro" games even portably. Extra 5000 MaH battery is dirt cheap and use of the plastic stand can be recommended to avoid the system getting too warm in one's hands. OG Switch can only run the 384 gigaflop mode.

Switch Pro (new system revision) can run games at a 384 gigaflop undocked + 750-1000 gigaflop docked.

But this way you won't have a splintering of the userbase, the old Switch models should be able to run all games just in the 384 gigaflop mode. Performance for OG Switch would be the same for docked/undocked using this setup.

There probably are a fair number of PS4/XB1 games that can run on the Switch at 384 gigaflops if you removed the bottleneck of the old 153 gigaflop mode ... it may have to be at a low resolution like 600p + 30 fps only, but hey it's better than nothing.
No extra hardware would be required... The Switch in portable mode with docked clocks lasts ~2 hours and would not be as hot as it is in the dock because it isn't charging it's battery, which leaves 4 to 6 watts of head room for the device, over when it's charging and playing in the dock.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah even though I mentioned it with Thraktor, I absolutely doubt that Nvidia and Nintendo would want to use RT and Tensor cores for a Switch form factor... It's much more likely as a standalone console that doubles as a dock, but for what it is worth, Xavier does have 512 Cuda Cores and 64 Tensor cores, it takes up 89mm^2 for the entire GPU die on 12nm... Granted 7nm+ could be used for a Switch Pro2, so you could be looking at less than 40mm^2 for just the GPU here, so a SoC for Switch is possible, though you'd want it to have 1024 or 1280 cuda cores, if you could add that to what they did with Xavier and fit in the right amount of RT cores, you'd get something like 1280 Cuda cores, 144 Tensor cores and 20 RT cores, clocked at say 1.5GHz when docked. The RTX 2060 has 1920 cuda cores, 240 Tensor cores and 30 RT cores and clocks at 1.7GHz in boost, so still quite a bit below that, still if your target is 720p, it could work...

My issue is that you'd be much better suited to just have more Cuda Cores instead of all that extra RT stuff, you could have a 1920 cuda core GPU in the same size possibly, and wouldn't that be far better for performance and attracting 3rd parties. PS5 won't even focus on RT cores either so best to release your solution as an optional device or wait for the following generation when maybe they have a more efficient way to do Ray Tracing than 3 separate core blocks.

No extra hardware would be required... The Switch in portable mode with docked clocks lasts ~2 hours and would not be as hot as it is in the dock because it isn't charging it's battery, which leaves 4 to 6 watts of head room for the device, over when it's charging and playing in the dock.

Yeah, Nintendo could still release an official stand w/battery integrated just as a reccomended accessorie, but totally ... they should do this.

It doesn't even add a performance mode ... devs making a "Pro" title could be ensured that it runs on the OG Switch too and in that case only have two performance modes to worry about ... same as regular Switch games.

It would probably open the door to a lot of PS4/XB1 games that can't currently run on the Switch very easily even if they had to run at say 600p in portable + OG Switch mode. That's better than not having the games at all.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I try to share what I can in my posts, so hopefully everyone understands that there isn't more info coming to them if they direct message me. I'm not someone who likes to keep info from people, what I don't share is to keep individuals safe and if I'm asked not to share something from someone who shares it to me directly, of which I never do, whether someone is DMing me or not.

I will also say that most of my speculation comes from tech knowledge, like I said I try to share whatever is available to me to share, so that the speculation in this thread stays high quality and as focused as possible.

I was joking mate. While I absolutely do not doubt that you indeed have info, I would personally prefer not to be spoiled of the surprise, if the surprise is indeed worth it. So your tease is absolutely up my alley in that regard.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I was joking mate. While I absolutely do not doubt that you indeed have info, I would personally prefer not to be spoiled of the surprise, if the surprise is indeed worth it. So your tease is absolutely up my alley in that regard.
Oh trust me I know... The worst kind of insider leaks is "this is what is happening in tomorrow's direct" I avoid it like the plague, but hearing that something is in the works and is coming in a year or two, I love that stuff.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind a Switch successor coming relatively soon if we get BC alongside it. I feel like Nintendo had an excuse with the 3DS's unique format/the Wii U's disc system, but hopefully they go back to their old ways and we can play all our Switch titles on the Switch 2.

That said... looooots of reasons why they wouldn't.
From a technical perspective, the switch seems tailor made for forwards compitability more than any other console.

Oct 29, 2017
z0m3le, well obviously I wouldn't expect a mobile Turing solution in the upcoming Switch Pro this year; I was thinking further ahead... more like around March 2022? (Roughly a year and 4 months after the PS5's likely November 2020 release date). Cross-Gen support for PS4 will almost certainly be ending by around then; so Nintendo really has until then to come out with a new Switch that can handle downports from PS5, or else their 3rd party support will disappear completely...

Has any mention been made regarding mobile Turing/Ampere in the more distant future? Or will Nintendo have to look to resort to their supplemental computing dock patents to achieve this?

From a technical perspective, the switch seems tailor made for forwards compitability more than any other console.

Yeah, the games are also literally built like PC games; with every Switch game already targeting multiple specs. All they have to do is just add another set of specs to the list.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
z0m3le, well obviously I wouldn't expect a mobile Turing solution in the upcoming Switch Pro this year; I was thinking further ahead... more like around March 2022? (Roughly a year and 4 months after the PS5's likely November 2020 release date). Cross-Gen support for PS4 will almost certainly be ending by around then; so Nintendo really has until then to come out with a new Switch that can handle downports from PS5, or else their 3rd party support will disappear completely...

Has any mention been made regarding mobile Turing/Ampere in the more distant future? Or will Nintendo have to look to resort to their supplemental computing dock patents to achieve this?

Yeah, the games are also literally built like PC games; with every Switch game already targeting multiple specs. All they have to do is just add another set of specs to the list.
Well RTX is not really a good fit for mobile IMO, however Turing itself has separated from Tensor and RT cores via the GTX 1660/1650 series GPUs. A Tegra based on Turing is due out this year as well, as all architectures seem to get a Tegra version in the year following the release of the architecture and Turing was released in October? last year. Anyways with Turing as the only Nvidia architecture on 12nm, it is also cheaper for Nintendo and Nvidia to simply put that in the Switch, it isn't any bigger than Pascal or Maxwell cores either. Some people hear that and they think I'm talking about some drastic departure into some crazy spec thing, but really it just makes sense for both Nintendo and Nvidia to use Turing at the same expected performance level of this Switch Pro we've been talking about for pages. Thats somewhere between 800 and 944 gflops, whether it's Maxwell/Pascal or Turing doesn't change much at all, though it would offer better async compute and variable shader support.

As for timeline of the Switch 'Pro2', I'd assume they are going for 3 year cycles, the original Switch was going to launch holiday 2016, there wasn't enough software ready for them, so they pushed it to march 2017, but had they stayed with Holiday 2016, and launch the pro model this holiday, then we can clearly see the 3 year pattern start to make sense. 3 years also benefits Nintendo in another way, ARM CPUs are designed by 3 separate teams, with the A73 team set to release their new version next year, perfect timing for Nintendo to build around it on the 'Pro2' the reason this CPU is important, is the team makes the most efficient versions of the high performance core, A75 is faster and A76 team is the primary team that always has the drastic increase in performance, but A73 team might announce an A77 next year that is smaller than the A76, and offers higher clocks at lower power draw... It's not a done deal, but it's what I expect.

Nvidia has a 20 year plan with Nintendo, they built the API, helped with the drivers, firmware, design, devkits and ecosystem... Nvidia is likely not going anywhere, and with the success of the Nintendo Switch, I don't think Nintendo has any plans to move away from Nvidia either. They are the leader in graphics hardware anyways, so everyone else doesn't have much to offer. I expect Tegra to continue to get these architecture updates and for Nintendo to use a new one every 3 years. Having said that, I think they will use that SCD patent as a full fledged console that has a docking station for the Switch unit, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Switch when docked offers it's GPU as a physX co processor.

Sorry for the long post, but I do think it has a lot of insight into what is going on:
I've even thought about the type of hardware Nvidia and Nintendo would likely use in a standalone console with dock, I think they would use what I expect is a RTX 3070 (The reason I choose a RTX 3070, is that with the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 is the same 445mm^2 TU106 chip, the 2060 just has a ton of disabled hardware, something I don't think Nintendo and Nvidia would want to do on a chip they are shipping millions and millions of, it's more likely that Nvidia would use bad GPU chips from this line to sell the RTX 3060 at a very nice $299-$349 price point)
Firstly, I'd expect Nintendo and Nvidia to put a high powered CPU in this, something like a 12 core A76 with 4 A55 cores (DynamIQ uses 8 core clusters and can have 6 big cores with 2 little cores, all operating with their own voltages and frequency), likely clocked at 2.5GHz or better, 7nm+ process node with 24GB of GDDR6 RAM.

The RTX 3070 here would be between a RTX 2070 and RTX 2080, so 2560 Cuda Cores, 320 Tensor cores and 40 RT cores, this means it is fully capable of ray tracing, and because it's a 7nm+ Nvidia GPU, it should have no problem hitting 2GHz in a console, which is where I'd put this GPU. Of course it doesn't exist yet, but I think Nintendo and Nvidia could release this powered Switch console with docking station for $399 in Holiday 2021, and at 2GHz GPU that I listed above, it would have 10.24TFLOPs from a Turing level GPU, that should match up very well with the rumored 14TFLOPs AMD powered next gen consoles.

Great thing about this timing is that Holiday 2021 is a year after PS5/XBnext are expected to launch, offers a competitive price and performance, as well as a 4K solution, something that the Switch form factor will never really be able to efficiently be able to offer it's customers and something Nintendo has said they would do when that resolution became more relevant. It also is a year before they release a Switch 'Pro2' and a year before PS4/XB1 become irrelevant. I also expect the 'Pro2' to offer a non raytracing 1080p performance when docked in the standard dock, 720p when portable and be used as a physX co processor when docked in the Switch console I'm speculating above. That means that I expect the 'pro2' to offer over 2TFLOPs of performance when docked.

If Nintendo goes with this iteration strategy, they have 3 price points, $199 for the Switch handheld, $299 for the Switch hybrid, $399 for the Switch console... This also keeps things simple compared to PC, it's all generally the same API / dev environment, with only a handful of different performance targets, by 2022 there is really only the 4K ~10TFLOPs, 1080p ~2.3TFLOPs, 720p ~900gflops, 480p ~400gflops (which the current Switch can achieve), of course devs are free to use the lower powered modes of 157-196gflops that the current Switch offers and all future versions of the Switch will likely offer for backwards compatibility. I love looking into the future like this so sorry for anyone still reading this, but I do think this is Nintendo's future with Nvidia, they tipped their hand when Eurogamer showed original clock speeds for the Switch in docked and portable mode, offering a 2.5:1 ratio, a similar ratio needed for 1080:720 and 720:480 exists as ~2.25:1. That is why this is all possible, of course 4K requires 4:1 to reach 4K:1080p, so it's just not something that can be reasonably covered via GPU clock speeds, thus a separate more power hungry device will be required when Nintendo does finally address 4K.

Iwata:
"I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated," he said. "In contrast, the number of form factors might increase."

"Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform," he said. But if Nintendo had one unified platform like Apple's iOS, Iwata said, it could actually create more than just two different game machines each cycle. "To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms."

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking that there would be no way that they could manage to hit that kind of performance target in any sort of reasonable timeframe... So the SCD patent coming into play here would make sense.

Hopefully it would just be used for boosting resolution/graphics settings and not for anything else... Would be a tremendous shame for the Switch's killer USP to be hampered in any way.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017

They need a mini more than they need a pro right now. Have to get something on the market that replaces 3ds. Lower entry price and kid friendly. The pro they will need close to or around time next Sony and Microsoft console launch. I would think they would want a head start. So launching the pro because holiday this year and March 2020 makes sense. Hopefully devs have the dev kits and are working on bringing bigger games to the pro.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They need a mini more than they need a pro right now. Have to get something on the market that replaces 3ds. Lower entry price and kid friendly. The pro they will need close to or around time next Sony and Microsoft console launch. I would think they would want a head start. So launching the pro because holiday this year and March 2020 makes sense. Hopefully devs have the dev kits and are working on bringing bigger games to the pro.
The mini could offer the same performance as the pro's portable mode.

Dec 23, 2017
Well RTX is not really a good fit for mobile IMO, however Turing itself has separated from Tensor and RT cores via the GTX 1660/1650 series GPUs. A Tegra based on Turing is due out this year as well, as all architectures seem to get a Tegra version in the year following the release of the architecture and Turing was released in October? last year. Anyways with Turing as the only Nvidia architecture on 12nm, it is also cheaper for Nintendo and Nvidia to simply put that in the Switch, it isn't any bigger than Pascal or Maxwell cores either. Some people hear that and they think I'm talking about some drastic departure into some crazy spec thing, but really it just makes sense for both Nintendo and Nvidia to use Turing at the same expected performance level of this Switch Pro we've been talking about for pages. Thats somewhere between 800 and 944 gflops, whether it's Maxwell/Pascal or Turing doesn't change much at all, though it would offer better async compute and variable shader support.

As for timeline of the Switch 'Pro2', I'd assume they are going for 3 year cycles, the original Switch was going to launch holiday 2016, there wasn't enough software ready for them, so they pushed it to march 2017, but had they stayed with Holiday 2016, and launch the pro model this holiday, then we can clearly see the 3 year pattern start to make sense. 3 years also benefits Nintendo in another way, ARM CPUs are designed by 3 separate teams, with the A73 team set to release their new version next year, perfect timing for Nintendo to build around it on the 'Pro2' the reason this CPU is important, is the team makes the most efficient versions of the high performance core, A75 is faster and A76 team is the primary team that always has the drastic increase in performance, but A73 team might announce an A77 next year that is smaller than the A76, and offers higher clocks at lower power draw... It's not a done deal, but it's what I expect.

Nvidia has a 20 year plan with Nintendo, they built the API, helped with the drivers, firmware, design, devkits and ecosystem... Nvidia is likely not going anywhere, and with the success of the Nintendo Switch, I don't think Nintendo has any plans to move away from Nvidia either. They are the leader in graphics hardware anyways, so everyone else doesn't have much to offer. I expect Tegra to continue to get these architecture updates and for Nintendo to use a new one every 3 years. Having said that, I think they will use that SCD patent as a full fledged console that has a docking station for the Switch unit, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Switch when docked offers it's GPU as a physX co processor.

Sorry for the long post, but I do think it has a lot of insight into what is going on:
I've even thought about the type of hardware Nvidia and Nintendo would likely use in a standalone console with dock, I think they would use what I expect is a RTX 3070 (The reason I choose a RTX 3070, is that with the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 is the same 445mm^2 TU106 chip, the 2060 just has a ton of disabled hardware, something I don't think Nintendo and Nvidia would want to do on a chip they are shipping millions and millions of, it's more likely that Nvidia would use bad GPU chips from this line to sell the RTX 3060 at a very nice $299-$349 price point)
Firstly, I'd expect Nintendo and Nvidia to put a high powered CPU in this, something like a 12 core A76 with 4 A55 cores (DynamIQ uses 8 core clusters and can have 6 big cores with 2 little cores, all operating with their own voltages and frequency), likely clocked at 2.5GHz or better, 7nm+ process node with 24GB of GDDR6 RAM.

The RTX 3070 here would be between a RTX 2070 and RTX 2080, so 2560 Cuda Cores, 320 Tensor cores and 40 RT cores, this means it is fully capable of ray tracing, and because it's a 7nm+ Nvidia GPU, it should have no problem hitting 2GHz in a console, which is where I'd put this GPU. Of course it doesn't exist yet, but I think Nintendo and Nvidia could release this powered Switch console with docking station for $399 in Holiday 2021, and at 2GHz GPU that I listed above, it would have 10.24TFLOPs from a Turing level GPU, that should match up very well with the rumored 14TFLOPs AMD powered next gen consoles.

Great thing about this timing is that Holiday 2021 is a year after PS5/XBnext are expected to launch, offers a competitive price and performance, as well as a 4K solution, something that the Switch form factor will never really be able to efficiently be able to offer it's customers and something Nintendo has said they would do when that resolution became more relevant. It also is a year before they release a Switch 'Pro2' and a year before PS4/XB1 become irrelevant. I also expect the 'Pro2' to offer a non raytracing 1080p performance when docked in the standard dock, 720p when portable and be used as a physX co processor when docked in the Switch console I'm speculating above. That means that I expect the 'pro2' to offer over 2TFLOPs of performance when docked.

If Nintendo goes with this iteration strategy, they have 3 price points, $199 for the Switch handheld, $299 for the Switch hybrid, $399 for the Switch console... This also keeps things simple compared to PC, it's all generally the same API / dev environment, with only a handful of different performance targets, by 2022 there is really only the 4K ~10TFLOPs, 1080p ~2.3TFLOPs, 720p ~900gflops, 480p ~400gflops (which the current Switch can achieve), of course devs are free to use the lower powered modes of 157-196gflops that the current Switch offers and all future versions of the Switch will likely offer for backwards compatibility. I love looking into the future like this so sorry for anyone still reading this, but I do think this is Nintendo's future with Nvidia, they tipped their hand when Eurogamer showed original clock speeds for the Switch in docked and portable mode, offering a 2.5:1 ratio, a similar ratio needed for 1080:720 and 720:480 exists as ~2.25:1. That is why this is all possible, of course 4K requires 4:1 to reach 4K:1080p, so it's just not something that can be reasonably covered via GPU clock speeds, thus a separate more power hungry device will be required when Nintendo does finally address 4K.

Iwata:
"I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated," he said. "In contrast, the number of form factors might increase."

"Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform," he said. But if Nintendo had one unified platform like Apple's iOS, Iwata said, it could actually create more than just two different game machines each cycle. "To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms."

Man I would just have to see it to believe it. Right now I want to see what they offer with the pro. I think that will show in what direction they are heading. One of the big topics have been exclusive third party games for the pro. This will, need, and shall be the case. Hopefully people can get over it. All Nintendo games will be released on both consoles. I think it makes sense to fade out original switch once mini and pro hit the market. That way you don't have to worry about releasing a game for 3 technically (even though some modes might run same clocks) different systems. I think Nintendo really is set up for success with the switch. I have to take Iwata comments about a family of systems with a grain of salt. Not that he didn't say them but things change all the time. I personally think they should just focus on having two models. Put the best available tech from Nvidia in pro model. This gives Nvidia business and motivation to keep upgrading and providing the best mobile solutions. This can be a match made in heaven with big dividends.

The mini could offer the same performance as the pro's portable mode.
That would be ideal and great. I think they need to build an environment where devs know what they are getting and feel comfortable. Keep the mini and pro models. Have the mini offer same performance of pro portable mode. It's so easy for devs to code and make games work. They just need to put the best Nvidia has to offer in the proso that it can keep within arms distance of the bigger consoles.

Last edited:

neo2046

May 11, 2018
z2wWqSn.png

latest rumor from NS Baidu Tieba in China
source : https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6104552937?lp=5028&mo_device=1&is_jingpost=0

- a little bit longer than PSV
- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- GPU locked at 384MHz (current is 307 and 768 ?)
- no dock
mode (of course)
- available to plug in the dock for charging
- likely to have same battery life

I have no idea how reliable it is, so better to treat it as a fake leak first

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
z2wWqSn.png

- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- no dock
mode (of course)

Means it either has 196gflops or 393gflops imo, depends on if it uses a new gpu core with more Cuda cores, the vent makes me think it has 512 Cuda cores, but I don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would a very different switch model still be called Nintendo Switch?
Even the XL shows "Nintendo 3DS XL" on the back of the system.
If it's just a little big longer than the Vita, it wouldn't be able to dock, no?

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
z2wWqSn.png

- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- no dock
mode (of course)

ooh the kick stand is gone

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So it can be docked for charging but doesn't have a dock mode like the original one? Yeah no, i call fake on this.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
z2wWqSn.png

- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- no dock
mode (of course)

Means it either has 196gflops or 393gflops imo, depends on if it uses a new gpu core with more Cuda cores, the vent makes me think it has 512 Cuda cores, but I don't know.
Interesting if true.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It also wouldn't fit in the dock to charge but still had the little indent to facilitate docking.

Unless it brings a charging station, the rumor doesn't make much sense
It says it can dock, either means longer than we assume or slide pads are back. Looks legit tbh... Though no new logo is a question mark, this might just be a prototype run.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame if it can't output to a TV, even if only at portable performance. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Stuff leaking would match with the rumoured imminent announcement, I'd say it's real but who knows

I still believe it's a mistake for Nintendo to go back to the times of two platforms, consumer confusion and exclusive games after two successful years with the Switch but I guess they know better than I what they're doing

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't see why it should be played on the TV since it won't have the controls for it anyway.

I just hope the new systems are region free. I'm probably traveling to Europe this year again and I would like to bring them to Peru.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff leaking would match with the rumoured imminent announcement, I'd say it's real but who knows

I still believe it's a mistake for Nintendo to go back to the times of two platforms, consumer confusion and exclusive games after two successful years with the Switch but I guess they know better than I what they're doing
I can really only see it working if they don't do exclusive software and promote it as a family of systems that you can buy to benefit your play-style. Want a TV only Switch? Here it is. Want a portable-only? Here. Want both? Here's the package for that. But they all run the same games.

That way they're not going back to two separate platforms. I think putting a game like Box Boy on Switch is a clear indicator that they've truly merged their teams.

Dec 23, 2017

It's only way switch can build user base and remain relevant. There are million upon million of 3ds players that would look to upgrade at cheaper price point. You need something cheaper, smaller, and kid proof. Also you have to upgrade performance and specs to account for Sony and Microsoft next offerings. It makes sense going forward.

Oct 26, 2017
What the heck, so it's almost like a Switch with a permanently attached protective case?

The vent makes me wonder if this is not using even the new chip, But we'll see.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
the bottom vents (gray) look very fake and why do they even bother putting the switch logo on it (btw everything is mirrored) with the joycons if the system doesnt even have joycons.. looks shady

Oct 26, 2017
If that thing is real it's less wide than the Switch by a good amount, even just going by the size of that thumb it is! but I lined the USB ports up in gimp to check. Unless I'm talking nonsense then the joy-cons are also custom narrower versions too, but I suppose that fits with the 'cheaper controller components' wsj rumour.

Edit: Am I reading the look of this thing wrong? I thought it had joy-con 'holes' but maybe it's just the housing with missing internals. Probably just that as it's missing two card covers also.

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
z2wWqSn.png

- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- no dock
mode (of course)

I'd think this was just a picture of a Switch case if not for the thumb making the thing look really small

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
If they take away literally every reason it's called a Switch (no Tabletop Mode, no Docked Mode) why the hell would it be called a Switch.

Nice 3D printed fake, love the color. I don't disbelieve Nintendo would make a portable-only Switch but they'd name it something else.

Edit: and yeah if it's less wide than a normal Switch, then in order to fit in the Dock that means those shoulder trigger bumps would have to be at least as thin as the main Switch screen unit, if not thinner? Wtf

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I know jack shit about specs, is what we see in that rumor more powerful than the current Switch?

If that is the portable version then the Pro version would be even more powerful than that?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area

March 2022 it won't be turing. It will be one or two generations past turing. It will be 7 or 5nm.

If they're following the iterative model, then the best way to guess where they're going is to follow the sweet spot for process nodes from tsmc and pick the nvidia cuda core and arm cortex processor that are going to be available at that node.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
On the Subject of RT and Tensor cores, I think Nintendo will skip them since it will have a hard time keeping up with the basics that 3rd parties will demand.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I h

I rrad once you transfer your save to another switch, the save on the original is gone? I'd check the official update notes. It does explain that. I thought what I read from memory.

Edit: crap I wanted to condense this post to the last one. Oh well
yeah it transfers it... but with cloud saves it syncs across both devices
and now with the update you can just transfer individual saves though I haven't tried it yet

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
z2wWqSn.png

- multiple colors
- no change in CPU
- no dock
mode (of course)

That looks new thread worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.