wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
im-377226

Scarlett Johansson, star of the latest Marvel movie "Black Widow," filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court against Disney, alleging her contract was breached when the media giant released the film on its Disney+ streaming service at the same time as its theatrical debut.

Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney's Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release, and her salary was based in large part on the box-office performance of the film.

"Disney intentionally induced Marvel's breach of the agreement, without justification, in order to prevent Ms. Johansson from realizing the full benefit of her bargain with Marvel," the suit said.

Disney couldn't be reached immediately for comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scarle...ver-black-widow-streaming-release-11627579278

The streaming wars are hell.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Fair IMO if her salary was based on box-office performance. Disney needs to adjust their contracts.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This is expected to happen for movies that were produced before pandemic clusterfuck. Bonuses tied to theatrical performance are common.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious on how this would play out. A lot of these long-term contracts were done BEFORE the Disney streaming thing was an idea. Sounds like she has a case, and Disney will probably attempt to make her whole.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, did she mention she would do this last year if they went forward with the dual release?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a breach of contract it's a breach of contract. Really a dick move especially if her pay was based on box office performance.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Seems fair if that's all true.

I guess when you're dead and you just wrapped up your solo film you got nothing to lose anyway as it's unlikely you're gonna be in any Marvel movies moving forward lol.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
yeah if the contract guarantees an exclusive theatrical release, but the theatrical release actually occurs alongside a streaming release, then it sounds like a breach.

disney should have renegotiated the terms of the agreement with their talent, like WB did

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not going to get any more movies from them so might as well try to get as much money as I can"

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The experiment has failed anyway and hopefully deluded executives have realized by now

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Disney just act right? They got greedy with Spider-man and almost lost out on that franchise and now this. Stop being an ass. You've got enough money.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't need to be sympathetic to a rich actress and her wanting more money. But you can see how Disney just violated a contract and should be held accountable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Disney would overlook such a thing. Seems like a pretty big thing to gloss over considering it's one of their first and arguable biggest hybrid release so far.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
*insert comparison of black widow's plot in the movie with this lawsuit bc I'm too lazy to come up with a good one*

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Ok if her salary is based on box-office performance I guess that's fair that she would go after Disney over it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
yeah if the contract guarantees an exclusive theatrical release, but the theatrical release actually occurs alongside a streaming release, then it sounds like a breach
Maybe they will quickly settle this because I don't remember if it released day and date on streaming but if Disney wanted to be assholes they would have released the streaming option a day later and technically been within contract.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
She should get paid, especially after Disney put out that press release gloating about how much Black Widow made on Disney+ streaming.

I'm a bit surprised they did this without compensating her at all, especially after Warner Bros set a precedent late last year.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
If her pay was based on theatrical revenue but it made $60 million opening weekend alone in day 1 streaming revenue then yeah it is more than fair that that revenue be considered as part of her compensation. Same with anyone else contractually compensated in that way.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Black Widow’ Stunner: Disney’s Streaming Revenue Reveal May Be Game-Changer

The conglomerate says the superhero pic made more than $60 million on Disney+ Premier Access during its opening weekend — a sizable 27 percent of its global $218.8 million hybrid streaming/box office debut.

'Black Widow' Stunner: Disney's Streaming Revenue Reveal May Be Game-Changer

The conglomerate says the superhero pic made more than $60 million on Disney+ Premier Access during its opening weekend — a sizable 27 percent of its global $218.8 million hybrid streaming/box office debut.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
John Krasinski and Emily Blount are in a standoff with Paramount over something similar with Quiet Place 2. So many of these contracts signed before Covid for bigger stars/producers were probably based on box office grosses and that's being undercut when movie runs are being either shortened or removed entirely.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder how this would work going forward. Does Disney have a metric for "views" on their new D+ shows/movies? So if a Marvel movie for instance goes there or has an exclusive release, are the actors going to get a cut of some profit?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Fair IMO if her salary was based on box-office performance. Disney needs to adjust their contracts.
The streaming stuff is about to hit critical mass in terms of completely fucking up Hollywood economics. The idea that you have "residuals", that you make a percentage of the money earned at the box office, and when played on TV, and when sold via DVD has been a cornerstone of how actors negotiate fair contracts for decades now. The inability to qualify "how much money" something being streamed is worth is a wrecking ball to that system. With BW they can make a case that there was additional direct revenue in the form of the premium rental, but as more stuff moves to simultaneous release on the base tier, how do you put a number on the value of streaming? There's no ads to count. There's no buy in fees. Its some fraction of their monthly subscription cost, but not an easy one to assess

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I can only be so sympathetic to a multi-millionaire, but any push back against Disney is welcome pushback.

Also, if she's suing, that means they probably told her to fuck off when her people brought it up in private conversation, so get your bread girl.

OP
OP
wingkongex

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
If her pay was based on theatrical revenue but it made $60 million opening weekend alone in day 1 streaming revenue then yeah it is more than fair that that revenue be considered as part of her compensation. Same with anyone else contractually compensated in that way.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Black Widow’ Stunner: Disney’s Streaming Revenue Reveal May Be Game-Changer

'Black Widow' Stunner: Disney's Streaming Revenue Reveal May Be Game-Changer

Damn, I didn't know it did so well on D+. I guess that's never going away.