• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
So people's feelings got hurt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Indie games are games. People thinking they need cinematic experiences to qualify as "games" is the problem. Whenever someone told me that PS4 Had no games I would point out that they actually had more games. If people want to troll they will troll.

Xbox wasn't even paying their indie devs back then, meanwhile Sony was the home of Indies, a complete reversal from the previous gen. Now it seems like the roles will reverse again at the start of next gen.

Indies might be important on this forum, but how many people do you think actually care about them?

RDR 2 alone probably sold more consoles than a 1000 indie games put together, and it came out near the end of the console cycle.

Time to drag this old, but still relevant, meme up again, I guess:

V3LL8.jpg

I'm sure they have actual demographic data to rely on rather than forum discussion lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I for one am very excited by the prospect of even more bullshit exclusivity deals.

By the way, what happened to this?

sonyconference_pslove2rk93.jpg

Nah, why waste resources on promoting all the small fish? You'll be forced to be on our platform anyway.

This all sounds so... Well, expected, actually.
Companies pivot and change strategy all the time.

I don't get why people don't understand this.

Also, Sony is counting on market share. Indies will be there because it's poised to sell well anyway. Why does Sony need to invest limited money on stuff it will get anyway?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who sees this as the most non news ever?

Of course Sony and MS would focus on big AAA games and publishers. This is a new generation. They want to show off power. MSs pitch was also similar, at e3: "this is first and foremost a games machine" (paraphrasing).

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that Sony is missing Adam Boyes. They have been lacking in the indie support department for a while now and it's going to cost them next generation that they aren't on the same level of support and inclusion of indies as before.
The support dropped earlier in the gen and they have still be
Those indies aren't big enough. Don't count.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
You cant sell potentially 500$ consoles by showing tons of indies. Big games that wow people help sell it. See nvidia or amds graphics card keynotes. They sell 500+$ gpus showing the best graphics tech in the biggest games on the market. Strategy makes sense. And even if they dont focus much on indies indies will all come to the platform because it is too large to ignore.

but nvidia and amd are not mass market products in the same sense that consoles need to be

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I haven't had a PlayStation in a bit but none of what they've done has impacted me on PC. They're one of the leaders so I do still think they know what they're doing and have done a great job this generation. It's a business at the end of the day and they've done a good job of treading the line and have done a stellar job this generation.
That's not true, Playstation has exclusive content in a handful of games that never comes to PC and timed exclusives in others. That effects PC just as much as Xbox.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
I for one am very excited by the prospect of even more bullshit exclusivity deals.

Nah, why waste resources on promoting all the small fish? You'll be forced to be on our platform anyway.

That's what they are doing with State of Play. Mostly promoting small/ indie PS4/PSVR games. But then you look at some of the reactions and yeah...

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I am not buying a PS5 to play the Messenger. Which I'll most likely play on PC or Switch. Sony not actively baiting indies is non news.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who sees this as the most non news ever?

Of course Sony and MS would focus on big AAA games and publishers. This is a new generation. They want to show off power. MSs pitch was also similar, at e3: "this is first and foremost a games machine" (paraphrasing).
Let the forum folk vent. Just some early morning angst.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
People in here outraged that Playstation hates indies obviously don't give a shit about State of Play.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That was kinda my point. The first part of my post was...

Back in 2013, Santa Monica Studio had an entire division dedicated to publishing and development/production support of indie-games. And WWS still had a not insignificant amount of games like Edith Finch, Rime, Rapture, Wattam, etc - which was part of their quirky first-party lineup.

A few years after that - that whole division was canned with layoffs - half the games I mentioned became multiplatform as Sony sold off the publishing rights of those games to Annapurna/etc, among other things.

It's not weird at all. If anything, the signs has been clear as day that Sony is pivoting to an even heavier AAA focus in coming years.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Sony wanting to focus on bigger AAA games right out of the gate. Microsoft did the same thing this gen, and all you read on message boards was how much better their launch lineup was.
Probably not a good idea to repeat that.

Realistically I doubt many indies are going to skip any of the consoles anyways. Unless of course they're paid exclusives, which I don't think people want to see.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Honestly? them ignoring smaller publishers is telling me to ignore their platform all together. at least for sometime.

I love smaller games and they are very important to me. i play them more than any AAA game.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sony got big headed and dropped indies like a hot rock.
Not really. They just didn't need to invest them. Indies are coming regardless if Sony actively invests in them.

If you worked at PlayStation and had limited funds for 3rd party relations, where would you put your money to?

Indies that will be coming regardless and whose top sales potential is limited or AAA studios, that can net you millions on licensing fees if a game blows up and sells 10 million or more?

An indie selling 1 million is a huge success. A AAA GaaS game selling 1 million is a disaster.

If Sony can tilt buyers to get GTA6 on their console, that a lot of revenue for Sony.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
First years PS+ free titles will probably be again a lot of indie games.

I don't see Sony ignoring indie games in the future....

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Am I seeing giant enemy crab, two jobs to afford a console and 599 all over again?

No

"[PS3 was a] stark moment of hubris…our Icarus moment," he said. "…For our business, the fall was sharp."

Layden admitted that Sony didn't listen to developers or to players closely enough. A high price point and a punishing developer environment were major factors in taking PlayStation down a few notches

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

'Forced to be on our platform' is an interesting way of saying 'Creating a compelling market opportunity'.

The vast majority of indies on PlayStation didn't have promotional deals and weren't there because of promotional deals. They were there, like on any popular platform, for the market opportunity.

I don't think Sony being focused on larger publishers precludes cherry-picked deals and promotional deals for highlight content from other devs by the way. When 'PS <3 indies' was going on, it's not like Sony was any less focused on the larger pubs. Those pubs have always been Sony's core.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. They just didn't need to invest them. Indies are coming regardless if Sony actively invests in them.
So what you're saying is that they stopped trying to attract the attention of indie devs, and are just expecting them to show up anyway?

Some might call that a little arrogant.
Especially if MS and Nintendo will be focusing on attracting indies.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

If you worked at PlayStation and had limited funds for 3rd party relations, where would you put your money to?

Indies that will be coming regardless and whose top sales potential is limited or AAA studios, that can net you millions on licensing fees if a game blows up and sells 10 million or more?

An indie selling 1 million is a huge success. A AAA GaaS game selling 1 million is a disaster.
Patrick Kelepek basically said as much on a recent podcast. It happened with MS last gen and Sony this gen. The focus shifted after monster success and now MS all of a sudden is indies friend again after doing poorly this gen. Believe he said people in the industry felt this way.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'll say one thing in response to the whole "indies will come to PS4/5 anyway."

We've actually been seeing more and more high-profile indies published by Devolver and Annapurna be announced more so for Xbox/Switch than PS4. Games like Outer Wilds, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Ape Out, 12 Minutes, Gato Roboto, Artful Escape, etc.

Sure, they're probably timed exclusives that will come to PS4 in 6 months to a year, but MS/Nintendo are notably aggressive in those spaces today.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
So what you're saying is that they stopped trying to attract the attention of indie devs, and are just expecting them to show up anyway?

The article said as much!

From the article:

"In general, publishers want their games on multiple platforms to maximize sales, while console makers look to make deals for exclusive content or an initial period of exclusive sales.

Some executives at smaller game makers say they have felt snubbed by Sony, in contrast to Nintendo. At the Tokyo Game Show in September, Nintendo is supporting events to showcase independent game developers. Sony used to do the same, but isn't planning to this year, the first Sony official said.

Sony still welcomes games from independent studios, the first Sony official said, but the emphasis is on strengthening relationships with large publishers since resources are limited. The thinking is, the official said, that people buy a console to play high-quality games available only on that platform, not smaller games also available on smartphones."

It's a sound strategy. Sony has the leverage and the power of incumbency. They're flaunting it. Independent devs need Sony more than Sony needs them.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana

What is MS and Nintendo doing so different from Sony? They all have teams that work with indies.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

It's not like indies will stop to release games on playstation just because sony want invest more in big budget games...

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that this is a thing after such an indie and small games friendly PS4 launch. I'd say that was a huge strength back in 2013.

I've told this anecdote before but I went to EGX Rezzed this year. It's the UK's main indie gaming convention. A sister show to the main EGX. Nintendo had a massive area with tons of indie games coming to Switch. They were a massive presence there. Xbox had a big ID@Xbox room with 30 indie games, all coming to Game Pass. Sony had a room with Dreams in it. That was their entire presence at the show.
I'm surprised indie devs feel snubbed. After multiple cycles they should know by now that on platforms that have as much large publisher competition as Sony/MS, their window is launch to at most 3 years in. Unless you're lucky or a massive known quantity already.

You cant sustain their audience with indies alone. Nor can you afford to pour the same amount of resources into everyone equally. With MS as their competition it would be insane not to invest heavily on the biggest drivers of hardware and profit.

And honestly Sony cutting back on trade shows to focus on digital awareness isn't unique to Sony.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm absolutely in favor of exclusive content. If it's not cut from the original game, it's basically Sony paying for free content for every PlayStation owner. People who don't have a PlayStation don't loose anything.

But I'm totally against timed exclusive (content or game). It's just paying to provide people to play the content, I hate it.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
The war of exclusives are upon us yet again,
Prepare for two or three years of "only on" , "play it first on " or "plays best on".

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
MS started a big indie offense because the first years of this gen mostly every indie game was PS4/PC only.

Sony will get them anyway.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
The article said as much!

From the article:

"In general, publishers want their games on multiple platforms to maximize sales, while console makers look to make deals for exclusive content or an initial period of exclusive sales.

Some executives at smaller game makers say they have felt snubbed by Sony, in contrast to Nintendo. At the Tokyo Game Show in September, Nintendo is supporting events to showcase independent game developers. Sony used to do the same, but isn't planning to this year, the first Sony official said.

Sony still welcomes games from independent studios, the first Sony official said, but the emphasis is on strengthening relationships with large publishers since resources are limited. The thinking is, the official said, that people buy a console to play high-quality games available only on that platform, not smaller games also available on smartphones."

It's a sound strategy. Sony has the leverage and the power of incumbency. They're flaunting it. Independent devs need Sony more than Sony needs them.

I mean they won't ignore Sony, but they sure don't want to interact with them. The reason why the Switch and Xbox platforms have been getting a boatload of Indies is because their business models support it. Game Pass gives indies massive exposure and has Microsoft paying them for a limited time. Nintendo needs indies on their platforms so they will aggressively support them.

Being on Sony's platforms doesn't guarantee anything in return.

MS started a big indie offense because the first years of this gen mostly every indie game was PS4/PC only.

Sony will get them anyway.

It's going to be much tougher since being on Sony's platforms doesn't guarantee success. money, exposure or accessibility.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Featured in monthly PS+ games , constant Store deals, plenty of attention on the PS Blog -- indies haven't and won't be "ignored" by Sony.

The VR push did take resources away from their in-house indie initiative, which is understandable. But they get 90% of indie releases anyway. There's no sign of that changing, especially if they remain the market leader.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Microsoft thought the same thing in 2013 with XBLA. Perhaps it will be different this time, but I'm hearing a worryingly similar tone coming from Sony.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
They'll continue throwing money to secure time exclusive games/content. Sad, but not really shocking.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They'll continue throwing money to secure time exclusive games/content. Sad, but not really shocking.
I mean at this point, knowing the consoles will be more alike than ever, what else is there to do? Gotta somehow differentiate yourself for the consumer beyond logos. They don't seem to want to do the Game Pass type thing.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Featured in monthly PS+ games , constant Store deals, plenty of attention on the PS Blog -- indies haven't and won't be "ignored" by Sony.

The VR push did take resources away from their in-house indie initiative, which is understandable. But they get 90% of indie releases anyway. There's no sign of that changing, especially if they remain the market leader.

Yeah, looks like no one here remembers the first years plus titles of this gen xD

And Sony got soo much hate because of all the indie plus titles...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Am I to take it from you saying MS and Nintendo are focussed on indies that they're not focussed on bigger pubs?

Of course I don't think so - in fact I think they're probably also more 'focused' on big pubs too. Being more focused on one set of devs doesn't mean you ignore another. It's about allocation of resources. I'm sure MS, if not also Nintendo, spends far more on partner marketing and funding for larger pubs and devs than on indies.

Also, devs don't just 'show up'. They show up where a market has been created. If you go to all the efforts involved in building an audience for content, it's not arrogance to expect content creators or all stripes to be attracted to that platform and audience. It's simply logic. That's what all developers, big or small, ultimately want. It's not like any of the platform holders are simply sitting back and expecting devs to come to their platform - they're building a userbase and not unreasonably expecting that will be attractive to those developers.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find this a little inaccurate too. Obviously Nintendo performs more strongly than other publishers with younger gamers, but the majority of users for both platforms are teens and millennials. But it doesn't matter much anyway because a lot of Playstation fans are also Nintendo fans and vice versa. There's plenty of room in the demo for both.
Unless you are a kid you probably own a Switch in addition to another platform. Its a complimentary system, not a primary one for most people.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised indie devs feel snubbed. After multiple cycles they should know by now that on platforms that have as much large publisher competition as Sony/MS, their window is launch to at most 3 years in. Unless you're lucky or a massive known quantity already.

You cant sustain their audience with indies alone. Nor can you afford to pour the same amount of resources into everyone equally. With MS as their competition it would be insane not to invest heavily on the biggest drivers of hardware and profit.

And honestly Sony cutting back on trade shows to focus on digital awareness isn't unique to Sony.
Personally I hate such move. Sony could give some economic advantage/deal to indie developers. Not necessarily needs to invest money but at least put them in the economical conditions to release more games on PlayStation. Hate when big multicorporation act like this. I hope it doesn't means they will stop to care totally about indies but smells of it.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I personally understand why they are going with this approach, early on in the PS4 generation, they had good marketing on indies, but that mostly lead to "ps4 has no games" meme, so i guess that they want to avoid this issue come the next generation.

They prolly looked at the time and energy they put into building relationships with indie devs, compared it to the time and energy they put is bigger studios only to see every time
It's weird that this is a thing after such an indie and small games friendly PS4 launch. I'd say that was a huge strength back in 2013.

I've told this anecdote before but I went to EGX Rezzed this year. It's the UK's main indie gaming convention. A sister show to the main EGX. Nintendo had a massive area with tons of indie games coming to Switch. They were a massive presence there. Xbox had a big ID@Xbox room with 30 indie games, all coming to Game Pass. Sony had a room with Dreams in it. That was their entire presence at the show.

Yet Dreams will sell more software and hardware than every indie game at that event combined.
At ps4 launch sure they invested heavy in the indie scene, but what got the ps4 to 90+ million consoles sold was without a doubt the COD, BF, GTA, Destiny, Fifa, Madden...... so on.

Last edited:

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great, hopefully we won't see a repeat of 2014 with PS5 then where they concentrated on Indies most of the time because big publishers weren't ready yet.

Pretty confident that the first year will be much better game wise than this gen. :)