• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
So they"ll flood the market with Sony exclusive things on third party just like MS did in the old X360era? and that is going to be a good thing?Hell im already seeing this with Destiny, Cod and even Remedy's Control where the season pass and a sidequest is exclusive for the ps4 for a bit. but i guess this is fine as long Sony wins

You guys get worked up over nothing.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If this was MS right now the internet would be in flames. but i guess for the players Sony can do no wrong
Here we go again. Internet should be in flame because says to be more focused to hardcore market and higher budget games? Isn't it what they did from years and people buy their hardware mainly for such reason?

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Microsoft will do timed / 3rd party exclusives again next gen. They could really use it. Sony still doing it in the final year with FF7R

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The idea that Sony dropped support for smaller devs when they are are the only one supporting VR devs is funny to me.
Then it's also funny to see people complaining about them not giving room for smaller devs when State of Play was clearly created for this, and when Sony don't show big games on it the same people that complain about not giving room to smaller devs complain about SoP not having heavy hitters lol

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The short term problem with this approach is that big games take a while to be made. Smaller games are needed to fill the gaps.

I anticipate droughts soon after PS5 releases.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like PS5 won't have indies. PS4 has the most games and most diverse amount out of all the console makers. That's not going to change.
The plan sounds good to me.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I could see 499 if they increase the prices of games and subscriptions (so they sell hardware at a loss but get a huge profit from software).
in DICE keynote shawn layden said that they are aware the biggest problem with the price, so they wont cross to 599 unless if we are talking about the US if the tariffs will still be a thing by then...
The short term problem with this approach is that big games take a while to be made. Smaller games are needed to fill the gaps.

I anticipate droughts soon after PS5 releases.
I'd say that you look at this situation reversed. Sony most likely has a strong first year line up that makes this strategy possible for them unlike with the first PS4 year.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
,reading the indie thing as they're not throwing as much money to help fund inde games next gen and spending more on marketing deals with 3rd parties and funding dev on games like with from, insomniac and kojipro. Gimme more polished AAA first parties and I'll be happy.

Really hope next gen consoles get priced properly. Getting nervous about the dumbass tariffs

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Indies are good, but AAA games are bread and butter in tems of profit, so this makes sense. Just don't spend money on useless things, put them into exlcusives production.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
This has been their approach for a number of years now. Arguably for the whole gen - even with the promotional lean on indie games in the early years, Sony was hoovering up tentpole marketing deals for big budget stuff. They've never 'not' focused on premium/immersive games. And there's never not been the suggestion that PS is for 'gamers' or more core 'players' or people who identify as more serious players - it was something they leaned heavily on in marketing when MS seemed to be going for 'everyone', for example, and seemed to be neglecting the core audience.
Feel like NMS was their last big indie push and when that blew up in their face they backed off

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
So they"ll flood the market with Sony exclusive things on third party just like MS did in the old X360era? and that is going to be a good thing?Hell im already seeing this with Destiny, Cod and even Remedy's Control where the season pass and a sidequest is exclusive for the ps4 for a bit. but i guess this is fine as long Sony wins

If they see results from these deals, then of course they'll continue to do them.
It means the majority will continue to buy these games on PS regardless.

Whether it's fine or not to you or me, it doesn't ''matter''. If it makes people buy a certain game on a certain console then it is fine for them and if the number of people doing it is high then that is a good thing for the platform holder.

Ms saw that last Gen, and in the current Gen as well, and Sony is seeing it right now.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Wars; account still in junior phase
So, what was Sony doing before?

Anywho, it'll be more of the same with games that look great, have low loading times, and extremely censored.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
ugh, it's been obvious where they are going. They have been pushing smaller games less and less.

Not a fan.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If making as much profit from game sales is there primary goal then more focus should be put on there installbase numbers, this is not tough to understand.
Only you can see a contradiction in such statement when I even perfectly explain to you to focus higher profit doesn't means exactly sell the less hardware possible.
I bet whatever you want if MS would have said the same, the tone of your post would been totally different. But go on with your absurd campaign against the Sony brand and let's see the fruit.

Last edited:

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does this mean more timed exclusive games or more exclusive content with marketing partnerships?

That's what it sounds like. One of Sony's strengths this gen has been is breadth of content. Not just the big budget stuff but small stuff too. Hopefully it doesnt lose that focus for PS5 by spending time getting exclusive guns in destiny or Call of Duty.....

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I understand the logic behind this, but I wish it didn't come at the expense of the smaller titles.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the money behind stuff like Spiderman and Death Stranding mean there are like 20 indie games they can't fund. But IMO, stuff like Spiderman and Death Stranding are far more important to building and promoting the brand.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This makes me less likely to buy their system as this suggests more deals like the Destiny/CoD ones and they can fuck right off with that. Some of the worst exclusive deals out there. I have no problem with their own studios making exclusives, but paying third party devs to keep shit off of another platform is terrible for players in general and this makes it seem like they're certainly not backing off on that.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's clear that Sony is missing Adam Boyes. They have been lacking in the indie support department for a while now and it's going to cost them next generation that they aren't on the same level of support and inclusion of indies as before.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, and hopefully in good numbers. The article seems to point otherwise though.
The article is suggesting what could happen but it doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't indie games come to the next PS? There just would be few/no exclusive deals with indies. The type of deals folk seem to really dislike here. Well, if it doesn't involve their favored platform, of course.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I can't tell if you're saying that Bloodborne and Spider-Man are 1st party (Bloodborne certainly is) or if Smash and Mario Tennis aren't lol. All four games were externally developed, but three of them are 1st party games.

All four of them are first-party games. The only difference is their IP status, which has nothing to do with whether or not a game is first-party or not.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Good, they're right. The ERA bubble may disagree, but most people aren't buying a Playstation to play Undertale. More PlayStation studio exclusives sounds like a great thing to me, they've been mostly my favorite games of this gen.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clear that Sony is missing Adam Boyes. They have been lacking in the indie support department for a while now and it's going to cost them next generation that they aren't on the same level of support and inclusion of indies as before.
They are getting almost all indie games. The indie support is great on PlayStation. And it will be great next gen. That's the good thing when you are a strong brand that's huge everywhere. Indie devs will be there, as always.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I for one am very excited by the prospect of even more bullshit exclusivity deals.

By the way, what happened to this?

sonyconference_pslove2rk93.jpg

Nah, why waste resources on promoting all the small fish? You'll be forced to be on our platform anyway.

This all sounds so... Well, expected, actually.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The article is suggesting what could happen but it doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't indie games come to the next PS? There just would be few/no exclusive deals with indies. The type of deals folk seem to really dislike here. Well, if it doesn't involve their favored platform, of course.
Nah let people think Sony is actively blocking indies as some here would like to suggest.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking that they are not using relevant data to make that claim.

Great meme tho.

switchdemographicsqcue6.png

I wouldn't be surprised if Playstation has an even higher percentage in the >18 age range, but when Nintendo's at 83% there's few numbers that would make that statement be any more than "technically true". I don't disagree with the notion of Nintendo not being a major rival to Sony, but the reasoning sounds so tired.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
This isn't even a recent thing for Sony. There was an exclusive game mode in Arkham Knight and Watch Dogs 2. It's a horrible practice and I'm glad Microsoft shifted away from it, if only Sony would do the same.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
You cant sell potentially 500$ consoles by showing tons of indies. Big games that wow people help sell it. See nvidia or amds graphics card keynotes. They sell 500+$ gpus showing the best graphics tech in the biggest games on the market. Strategy makes sense. And even if they dont focus much on indies indies will all come to the platform because it is too large to ignore.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've told this anecdote before but I went to EGX Rezzed this year. It's the UK's main indie gaming convention. A sister show to the main EGX. Nintendo had a massive area with tons of indie games coming to Switch. They were a massive presence there. Xbox had a big ID@Xbox room with 30 indie games, all coming to Game Pass. Sony had a room with Dreams in it. That was their entire presence at the show.

This happens in cycles, though. There were Rezzed events a few years ago that were basically just PS4 booths with no one else even there.