• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delancey

Dec 4, 2017
Privacy of records is a huge thing at my hospital too. Part of my job involves auditing random patients records to make sure all the right paperwork is there, filled out correctly, scanned to the right patient record etc etc. Towards the end of going through a file of what was a very ill person, I come to the check of name, patient number, address etc and realise its a friend and coworker of mine. I freaked the hell out, straight away sent the system generated audit list to my manager, told them what happened, who it was, what I was doing and the records I accessed to be kept on file in case it ever comes up that I was in her record to cover my butt. Our system not only keeps record of what patient record you access, but every single individual item in that record that you viewed.

I'm actually really uncomfortable that I'm privvy to some of her medical information, especially as some of it she has chosen to keep quiet.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I work with PII in my job, it's never worth messing with it as corporate will destroy you for violating it

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I got fired from a call centre for having my phone in my pocket within the office. However admittedly that's because I was too honest to lie to their face when asked during a random check.

You are not allowed to have phone in the office? Are you supposed to put it in a locker room? Mind tell me what kind of call center and what country. Just curious because I worked for 2 different call centers.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
You are not allowed to have phone in the office? Are you supposed to put it in a locker room? Mind tell me what kind of call center and what country. Just curious because I worked for 2 different call centers.
Yeah, there was a locker room, it was meant to be kept there. It was a call centre for a reasonably big chain store and their online store in the UK.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A patient could literally die in the time it takes for an admin to change privileges.

PPI is paradoxically too important to be easily accessible but benefits strongly from being easily accessible in an industry where time is of the essence and people can be quickly shuffled around. HIPAA allows this free-flowing system to exist while placing the onus on employee discipline to prevent abuse.
You could always implement a master password that bypasses the restrictions and immediately sends a notification up the chain.

I's true that these people were rightfully fired for misconduct and they have nobody to blame for themselves. But curious employees are an inevitability, and it's easier to prevent them from self-destructing then it is to deal with the fallout when they do.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
You could always implement a master password that bypasses the restrictions and immediately sends a notification up the chain.

I's true that these people were rightfully fired for misconduct and they have nobody to blame for themselves. But curious employees are an inevitability, and it's easier to prevent them from self-destructing then it is to deal with the fallout when they do.

They should have a "special circumstance" or "vip" tag for some patient and restrict access.

This basically costs the hospital $$ to retrain new hires and basically cost the hospital bill to go up.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
And I'm a doctor and in 4 years of being in hospitals taking care of patients I've never seen any health care worker just randomly looking through charts. Does it happen? Yeah, there are a few stories out there. Is it common? Not at all.

happens all the time on my unit. Usually from aids who are sitting around gossiping when they should be working. Though it's usually them looking into patients who are being transferred to our floor but once someone hears we're getting a pregnant coke addicted mother in police custody or some such thing, literally everyone starts poking their head into that person's chart and it becomes the talk of the unit.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jussie started one hell of a butterfly effect. Some kid can't eat for two days because mama clicked on Jussie and got fired.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The real victims are the remaining employees who will now have to nap through 100 more hours of HIPPA compliance training.

But seriously how stupid can you be.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof what did they expect. I'm going through EMT training as a part of my firefighter training and this is a big no-no. You had nothing to do with the patient nor the patient hand off. Therefore, hands off!

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
how much could TMZ possibly pay to make ruining your career worth it?

How much are these people not being paid, to consider ruining their career over this?

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife when she was still working ICU says her hospital had famous people in the system under aliases. Kinda surprised that isn't standard.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes check the customer database out of boredom, but I don't work at a fucking hospital.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
HIPPA keeps me away from healthcare IT, legit terrifying.
Great to see it working correctly here though

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Note: each HIPPA violation like this can be a $500k fine. The hospital can get in big trouble for shit like this and licenses can be lost.

Do not fuck with or mishandle patient files.