• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...fired-jussie-smsollett-records-506838591.html
At least 50 employees may have been fired from Northwestern Memorial Hospital for accessing the medical profile and records of "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett without authorization, sources with knowledge of the situation said.

One of those employees - identified simply as Susan, to protect her identity - said that with one click of her mouse, she was fired from her job as a surgical nurse last week.

"Simply put, it was just morbid curiosity," she said. "I went into the charting system and started to search his name."

"I clicked just once," Susan said. "I never clicked into his chart."
Read the full article at the link.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
HIPAA is one of the best things that's ever happened in the last 25 years.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's deserved. You don't go accessing profiles you don't have permission to, and I wonder how many of those people thought they could go to TMZ with 'hot scoops'.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering why they would think this wouldn't raise major HIPAA flags. Gotta be pretty dumb.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is a good thing.

Hospitals are required by law to do this, but many companies that deal with the public have similar policies in place.

If you're pulling up private information without authorization, you're not protecting client privacy.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Morbid curiosity isn't an excuse for stupidity when you should know better... and if you didn't know better you shouldn't have been in the job in the first place

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Nobody who does this shit deserves to be in a position where they have power over vulnerable people

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
yes this is expected. They should know better then to look at records for patients they are not seeing. I work in a hospital and we get regular training not to do this stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
They knew better. We have to take several trainings on personal health information and its something that's taken very seriously.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good that is how the system works. Every time I go to the doctor HIPPA is drilled int my head, so health care people should know it

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The law is very strict. We went through it's training again and again and again until it's part of muscle memory. You will even get fired for accessing your dying child's records if you are not part of team assigned to the child

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I mean I hate to say it, but a lot of these people probably thought they could get paid by discreetly providing information to tabloid organizations that were seeking information about his status. So yeah, if they did that, then they deserve to be fired. Sorry. Like others have said above, HIPAA makes medical organizations take this stuff very seriously.

Mar 9, 2019
They
I mean I hate to say it, but a lot of these people probably thought they could get paid by discreetly providing information to tabloid organizations that were seeking information about his status. So yeah, if they did that, then they deserve to be fired. Sorry. Like others have said above, HIPAA makes medical organizations take this stuff very seriously.

Yup

Someone wanted that TMZ clout and check

OP
OP
Brawly Likes to Brawl
Oct 25, 2017
Ryohei Suzuki's bedroom
Yeah, I imagine that was the motivation too. TMZ was not shy about throwing out stories about Smollet last month.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Hospitals don't screw around with HIPAA. Where did they think they were, a nursing home?

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They really hammer down how important HIPAA is during training and the repercussions if you do break it. Incredibly stupid of them. Going to be really hard to find work for those fired after this.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Hospitals don't fuck around with HIPAA and doubly so for celebrities.

There is always a host of firings related to celebrities going to the hospital and people being tempted to peek.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
It's great that they take this stuff seriously, but shouldn't the access to these records be way more strict to prevent this from happening in the first place?

It's crazy to me that dozens of employees could simply pull up a celebrities private medical records out of "curiosity." Like even when I try to do a simple price match at Best Buy it requires a manager to come over and authorize it. I would expect hospitals to be way more secure.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
They really hammer down how important HIPAA is during training and the repercussions if you do break it. Incredibly stupid of them. Going to be really hard to find work for those fired after this.

In the major retailer I work for too, it's constantly mentioned in our training. Like I feel like you'd be absolutely fucked if you violated HIPAA, it would be difficult to get another job where you can view PHI.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Kind of stupid that they now have to spend the resource to retrain 50 people. They could have hand out displinary actions.

I worked for a call center. You usually only get fired for this stuff if you are stupid to tell it outside of the company (post it or tell some client info to your family) I used to check Seinfeld's account and know how many cable boxes he had.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
100% fault of the employees. HIPAA was created for this very reason. Intrusion of privacy is a big deal and doctors fucking around in patient records is literal power abuse. I have no doubt that there are many instances where doctors have leaked private information and never got caught. But they will eventually. If you ask any medical professional, they will tell you that #1 career suicide move is to fuck with HIPAA. Malpractice doesn't even come close. I am glad it exists.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that they take this stuff seriously, but shouldn't the access to these records be way more strict to prevent this from happening in the first place?

It's crazy to me that dozens of employees could simply pull up a celebrities private medical records out of "curiosity." Like even when I try to do a simple price match at Best Buy it requires a manager to come over and authorize it. I would expect hospitals to be way more secure.
Hospitals have access to a lot of information. It's pretty sad but if you use our system and not what the nurse's use, you likely would never have been caught. A lot depends on the software you are using. I know a ton of people who have violated hippa but won't get caught. It's really sad.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I was just tryna violate confidentiality of a human being against federal privacy laws, nothing more than that.

Imagine being arrogant enough to not only do that but complain about it afterwards.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of stupid that they now have to spend the resource to retrain 50 people. They could have hand out displinary actions.

I worked for a call center. You usually only get fired for this stuff if you are stupid to tell it outside of the company (post it or tell some client info to your family) I used to check Seinfeld's account and know how many cable boxes he had.

Your comparison to your call center job for the cable company is not remotely the same or comparable to a patient's medical history. HIPPA is there for a reason and they don't fuck around with it. Every employee who accessed it has gone through extensive training about the importance of patient privacy and each firing was deserved, no matter the inconvenience to the employer.