• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the white majority in the US has long held the power and used it to negatively impact the lives of everyone else for their betterment.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because white people fucking suck and on the whole are responsible for a lot of horror and oppression in our modern world.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
L82A2mE.jpg

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like a troll self Leviton reaction to the NYT trans definition thread. Stop trying to implicate that white people (AKA ME) have it worse than anyone because that's bullshit.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People like to talk shit online ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As long as people tolerate it the racism will only ramp up from the white people. Also the people saying this stuff don't find it racist so there is your brick wall in the conversation. Just look at the first reply

"K"

Dismissive

Something something
Equality starts to feel like oppression.
You should be the last person on this forum to complain about thinly veiled racism given that you excused the shit Bush did to Iraqis in a thread not too long ago.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13692863/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13694260/

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Racism = Prejudice + Power

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Some people believe you can't be racist against white people. Some people are stupid too.

Minorities can have a prejudice against white people, that ain't "racism".

This thread will be reported and closed for your denial of white genetic inferiority.
That's def gonna be a "hmm" from me dawg
You should be the last person on this forum to complain about thinly veiled racism given that you excused the shit Bush did to Iraqis in a thread not too long ago.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13692863/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13694260/
They've always been on the bubble

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
In America, the White majority have historically and currently run a society of oppression and systemic racism. The White majority also continues to vote against the best interest of minority people. It's not really that hard to understand. As as White person I recognize this and don't interpret it as EVERY SINGLE WHITE PERSON IS EVIL! in the same way that I don't answer back to Black Lives Matter with "All lives matter' or get all huffy and puffy because they can say the N word and I can't. My racism towards them would be different than their racism towards me. It just is.

It's calling out the White majority that continues to happily fuck them over at every opportunity.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
white people are an easy target because they are generally so well off that making them the butt of a joke is almost never punching down

jokes at their expense also seem less tired because american media is traditionally from a white dude lens, so ragging on white people can be unique.

Also statistically white people and especially white men are ruining this country so I understand when people that it further than jokes

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get when comedians try that bit but honestly it's not helping the liberal agenda. Not a fan of any racism even as a joke

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think generalizing of any kind isn't good or productive, but I can't say I ever felt offended by blanket statements about white people (or men) for that matter.
Well, it's cause racism or stereotypes of white people have no widespread societal consequences like negative stereotypes of black people lead to poor interactions with cops or walking through the burbs or fetishizing asian women or villifying all Muslims.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When white people go through centuries of slavery and are deprived of generational wealth, loans and housing then yeah maybe those things would sting a little more.

But they're just jokes, when you say them, you're not hurting anyone. White people aren't discriminated against in any shape or form. It's like making fun of people with blue eyes

Oct 25, 2017
and this calls for being racist towards whites and using them as the butt of every joke... how? How is generalizing an entire group of people helping in any way?
My point is, you're NOT experiencing racism. Don't even compare those two completely different realities, it's insulting, unlike a seasoning joke.

People are mad about our reality, they make jokes, they're cynical. Who's day has that ruined?

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for all of the posters who have never said a damn thing about racism, to all of a sudden have issue with it.
Also, those posters who have been here since launch yet have less than 100 posts.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Racism = Prejudice + Power

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Minorities can have a prejudice against white people, that ain't "racism".
I mean... what you posted isn't really making a great case for that equation.
"Prejudice plus power" is a controversial[2][3] and exclusionary re-definition of words like "racism"[4][5] and "sexism"[6], taking on the form of a simple equation.

The original[2] definition of "racism" is something like "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."[7] The narrower definition of "prejudice plus power" requires one ethnic group to be in a dominant position on a societal level over other ethnic groups and posits that this revised version of the word "racism" can only apply to them, due to them having more power to institute and take advantage of their racism. This version describes another type of racism. In fact, since this version of the word "racism" is applied at the group level, it often leads to the "logical" conclusion that all members of the dominant group are de factoracists.[8]

The phrase institutional racism, where discrimination is a systemic consequence of old prejudices,[9] aligns more closely with the "prejudice plus power" paradigm, particularly when institutions are involved in the exercise of power.[2]

Another view of racism considers it not as a power imbalance, but as an ignorant and tribal expression of fear and hate, towards any race or ethnicity.[10] In this view, the phenomenon of racism is seen as the collective problem of society and mankind, something that each and every human being is capable of and has a responsibility to remain vigilant against. Power imbalance only factors into the extent of the consequences.

It is important to note that, whether you agree or disagree with the definition, words can have many meanings at the same time. The use of racism to mean "prejudice plus power" by however many academics does not disqualify other definitions of the term any more than psychiatrists defining the term "depression" as a specific disorder disqualifies using it to mean being extremely sad. "Prejudice plus power" as used by some academics is what is called a stipulative definition , used primarily for academic research to literally simplify discussions and text, not to "replace" other definitions of the word in common usage. Thus, to evoke it as the "only correct definition" or as the somehow "most socially just" stance on bigotry imaginable is ridiculous. This is an important point to make considering the many people using the definition to derail arguments and for the emotional stigma it has to silence dissent and to excuse whatever bigotry they themselves have.[11]

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a good example of why discourse has become untenable. Nobody is interested in talking to other human beings if it means dropping their tribalism for ten minutes.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People like to talk shit online ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As long as people tolerate it the racism will only ramp up from the white people. Also the people saying this stuff don't find it racist so there is your brick wall in the conversation. Just look at the first reply

"K"

Dismissive

Something something
Equality starts to feel like oppression.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Locking Thread.

While having a discussion like this is important, the framing of the thread seems to have started things off on the wrong foot, and it won't end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.