• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
c700x420.jpg

This is the most hipster way to turn up that I've ever seen. Is this more popular than I think it is? Did I miss a trend explosion? I've still only had fish poke once. Please relate your experience with this. It doesn't even look like it tastes good.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I actually really like kava, I would describe the effect as being similar to Xanax/benzos but not as intense and without the danger of blacking out for days.

Kava bars are pretty pricy tho, so unless you dig the likely one or two in your area it's best to order it.

Edit: and it doesn't taste great, wouldn't go as far as dirt but along those lines. Easier to drink a bowl of it than do shots of liquor tho.

Last edited:

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
oh shit is this hipster now

I got left behind on kale but i was ahead of the curve on kava

story of my life man.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
mild natural drug, popular in the south pacific. I wonder if they chew it orally and spit it like tradition requires...

iphys

Oct 27, 2017
I used to take kava pills as a muscle relaxant, but they made it hard to get in Canada like 15 years ago. Now I just take epsom salt baths instead.

cerullo

Oct 27, 2017
I went into this thread hoping to be a pedantic European with a post like "Prosecco is better". I'm left intrigued and disappointed

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's supposed to have been popular in Hawaii for ages. At least, that's what I was told in school. I've always been interested myself but have never had a chance to try it.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This stuff and kratom were sold at some places around where I lived in the U.S.

Never went to one but I did get some kratom from the internet once. Stuff wasn't very good imo.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kava is a traditional drink from Fiji. It is derived from a root, which is ground up, and then filtered into water like tea. It tastes very earthy, and fresh.

FijiKava.jpg

It is compared to alcohol, but it is not nearly as strong. Fijians are known for drinking bowls of Kava for nearly the entire today, only stopping at 3am. It is said you must drink upwards of 10 bowls.of Kava before feeling any alcohol type effects.

The immediate effect is a numbing of the tongue. It isn't strong, but it is very apparent. It feels funny, but not unpleasant either.

Since the drink is very traditional, you are meant to drink it by sitting down on a mat, and in a circle. You pass the kava bowl around clockwise. When it is your turn, you must clap once before you drink, and clap twice after you drink. The rest of the circle will clap with you twice, after you drink it.

It is a fun "drug", but it is not very effective. It's not a competent replacement for alcohol or weed, if your main desire is to get "high", or "drunk". I bought some kava extract before I left Fiji, and I only drank some once since I got back. I might try it again sometime soon, and drink more than I did last time. Maybe I'll finally feel some effects.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it funny that Kava has become the new hipster thing for a lot of places. To elaborate I've got a lot of Samoan family and this stuff is nothing new to me or them.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I drank Kava tea for a bit in college, but that was more of an herbal relaxant type tea. I remember reading a bunch about it in one of the Troost books where he was drinking it a bunch in in Kiribati or something.

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck, it's hipster to drink Kava now?

Traditionally it's a drink of greetings in old Polynesian tribes. My Fijian side knows most about it, but my other island heritages all know of it.

Numbs you up good.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Theirs always some new under the radar drug.

I bought 2oz's of some stuff called Phenibut a few months back but Im afraid of it. Supposedly you need to take like 1g of it or it can get you FUCKED up...and Ibhave 2 BIG bags..So it sits in my cabinet collecting dust lol

"Phenibut, sold under the brand names Anvifen, Fenibut, and Noofen among others,is a central nervous system depressant with anxiolytic and sedative effects which is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, and a variety of other indications. Elsewhere in the world, it is sold on the Internet without a prescriptionas a "supplement", and is used as a "nootropic" and recreational drug.
Phenibut is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia as a pharmaceutical drug to treat anxiety and to improve sleep (e.g., in the treatment of insomnia). It is also used for various other indications, including the treatment of asthenia, depression, alcoholism, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder, stuttering, tics, vestibular disorders, Ménière's disease, dizziness, for the prevention of motion sickness, and for the prevention of anxiety before or after surgical procedures or painful diagnostic tests.

[Recreational us- recreationally due to its ability to produce euphoria, anxiolysis, and increased sociability. Because of its delayed onset of effects, first-time users often mistakenly take an additional dose of phenibut in the belief that the initial dose did not work. Recreational users usually take the drug orally; there are a few case reports of rectal administration and one report of insufflation, which was described as "very painful" and causing swollen nostrils."

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
You shouldn't expect to get fucked up off it and even in high amounts it's not very comparable to alcohol. It just puts you in a relaxed state, tingly and numb limbs, etc.

It's very much like Xanax in that a lot of people don't feel a particularly noticeable high from it but if you have prevalent anxiety it causes a mild sense of euphoria.
I mean with the research chemical market it is shockingly easy to get weird legal replacements for every psychedelic, benzo and stimulant out there and have it delivered directly to your home. Some have become pretty popular tho like 2cb.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty nice. You don't have to drink it. They've got Kava pills in the supplements section of most of the grocery stores I go to. You'll also find it included in a lot of "soothing" tea blends at your grocery store, though probably not enough to do much. Its effect is something like a natural alternative to a therapeutic dose of a benzo or other anxiety relieving medication. You're not going to feel really fucked up or high or anything, but it is pretty good at taking the edge off and relieving anxiety. However, heavy use for prolonged periods of time may or may not fuck your liver up.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific island cultures have been drinking this for ages. We tend to have it on the weekends, sit around a big bowl of Kava and just chill.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I drank Kava tea for a bit in college, but that was more of an herbal relaxant type tea. I remember reading a bunch about it in one of the Troost books where he was drinking it a bunch in in Kiribati or something.

Probably Getting Stoned With Savages. I don't remember it in The Sex Lives of Cannibals.

I am due to read more J Maartin Troost.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017

I bought 2oz's of some stuff called Phenibut a few months back but Im afraid of it. Supposedly you need to take like 1g of it or it can get you FUCKED up...and Ibhave 2 BIG bags..So it sits in my cabinet collecting dust lol

"Phenibut, sold under the brand names Anvifen, Fenibut, and Noofen among others,is a central nervous system depressant with anxiolytic and sedative effects which is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, and a variety of other indications. Elsewhere in the world, it is sold on the Internet without a prescriptionas a "supplement", and is used as a "nootropic" and recreational drug.
Phenibut is used in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia as a pharmaceutical drug to treat anxiety and to improve sleep (e.g., in the treatment of insomnia). It is also used for various other indications, including the treatment of asthenia, depression, alcoholism, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder, stuttering, tics, vestibular disorders, Ménière's disease, dizziness, for the prevention of motion sickness, and for the prevention of anxiety before or after surgical procedures or painful diagnostic tests.

[Recreational us- recreationally due to its ability to produce euphoria, anxiolysis, and increased sociability. Because of its delayed onset of effects, first-time users often mistakenly take an additional dose of phenibut in the belief that the initial dose did not work. Recreational users usually take the drug orally; there are a few case reports of rectal administration and one report of insufflation, which was described as "very painful" and causing swollen nostrils."
I've been taking phenibut 1000mg once or twice a week or so for the past 5 years to help me sleep. I take it a couple of hours before bed and I feel really rested when I wake up the next morning. It's not as effective as it was when I first started taking it but it still works and I haven't experienced any bad withdrawal symptoms like some users have reported.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. You'll never get drunk of kombucha.
I mean - probably, but if someone is making it at home (or commercially in some cases) and the yeast in the SCOBY gets a bit more alcohol tolerant and you add fruit or whatever, it can pretty easily creep up to 2-3%. Not anything crazy, but that's getting up into MGD 64 range.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does this make you sleepy? I feel like I used to know someone who used it to help her sleep, but I've never tried it.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, haven't seen the word "hipster" on the internet in a long while. People irl stopped using it a long time before that too.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had some in Vanuatu. It's made from a root of some kind. Tastes like dirt water and numbed my mouth briefly.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried it once a few years ago
Honestly it just made my mouth a little numb and tasted like dirt

I tried this stuff in Fiji. Tastes literally like dirt. Don't know why anyone would want to drink it willingly

I had some in Vanuatu. It's made from a root of some kind. Tastes like dirt water and numbed my mouth briefly.
these are all accurate impressions.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
If you consume enough kava on a daily basis it can make your skin rough, dry and scaly like a reptile, aka Kava Dermopathy. Lots of Pacific Islanders suffered from it in ancient times.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This is the most hipster way to turn up that I've ever seen. Is this more popular than I think it is? Did I miss a trend explosion? I've still only had fish poke once. Please relate your experience with this. It doesn't even look like it tastes good.

"Fish poke" blew up a few years ago... but I've never heard of kava. Not sure if you're ahead of or behind the curve.

Seems like the next big thing for the hookah bar crowd from the descriptions.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Insta-bought.