• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than add in GM Mode which has been asked for over a decade now, they decide to add a swamp thing Wyatt and multiverse shit

Nice

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
eFSQB5j.jpg
GYo64Sz.jpg
Chyna, hmm wonder if this a sign WWE are gonna stop pretending she didn't exist.

Nov 14, 2017
Interesting... in the press release that 2K just put out, they say the game is being developed solely by Visual Concepts. Doesn't mention Yuke's anywhere in the release.

I wonder if Yuke's is off the series now? Could they have licensed the engine over to VC?

Edit: Just checked, previous press releases all said "Developed collaboratively by Yuke's and Visual Concepts."
Maybe they're taking a CoD approach and having Yukes on it every other year?

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're taking a CoD approach and having Yukes on it every other year?

Maybe?

Yuke's announced a few months back that they were working on an original wrestling game and cited problems with working with 2K and WWE. Either that pissed off 2K and they cut ties with them, or something was lost in translation and they were already taken off the series.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yukes has been one of the worst things to ever happen to humanity

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol no. Not sure who hurt you as a child but this is an insult.

I stopped buying WWE games due to the reskin/repetitive thing year in and year out. I get its a yearly release and all, but give me a reason to drop $60 on it. Just changing a costume or two doesn't cut it anymore. Last decent WWE game looked to be 2k14 because of its Wrestlemania mode. WWE ALL STARS was a blast also.

I remember when Shawn Michaels had the same attire for years in games, or wrestlers were missing their entrance gear repeatedly. Focus working on the game and less on pushing that damn DLC season pass.
even Revenge is better than No Mercy

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Yuke's is also not listed as the developer on the 2K20 Steam page. All the previous games have the developers listed as Visual Concepts and Yuke's.

Guys, I think Yuke's got fired.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Yuke's is also not listed as the developer on the 2K20 Steam page. All the previous games have the developers listed as Visual Concepts and Yuke's.

Guys, I think Yuke's got fired.

Looking at their Wikipedia page... they don't have WWE20 in their gameography. Instead, they jumped off to Earth Defense Force. Maybe their contract finally expired and 2K decided not to renew them?

LdoQec8.png

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Haven't played since 2K16 and am a little tempted. Hope the reviews are good (unlikely), or I'll just hold out for a FirePro or NJPW game on xbox.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt a change of hands is going to make much of a difference. It still looks and plays the same.

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
It's unfortunate that a game with one of the greatest character creation tools out of any series out there has it locked behind such notoriously poor gameplay and visuals that degrade year after year.

NBKA 2K20 looks light years better than this and even that's not perfect.

WWE 2K20 needs at least another full year of development, but it won't get it because of money. By the time they release this mediocre product they'll already be working on 2K21. That'll be on next gen systems and it'll still look like 2K17.

Only rationale for buying this game is if you enjoy creating characters... and sadly I do :(

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
The grind to get your wrestler's abilities up always took forever too. Hope they change that (unlikely).

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Yukes are toast, let's hope we get a new engine.. HDR.. and actually decent optimization for all platforms, especially One X and PS4 Pro
Right now their expertise in the field is laughable.
Next gen may finally have PS3 level graphics. If we're lucky.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Yukes are toast, let's hope we get a new engine.. HDR.. and actually decent optimization for all platforms, especially One X and PS4 Pro
Right now their expertise in the field is laughable.
Next gen may finally have PS3 level graphics. If we're lucky.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
So how long does 2K drag out the current series whilst (HOPEFULLY) creating a new/repurposing an engine for future games?

I honestly don't see a ground-up rebuild of the series ever happening under their watch and they'll continue to tweak and modify the current.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how long does 2K drag out the current series whilst (HOPEFULLY) creating a new/repurposing an engine for future games?

I honestly don't see a ground-up rebuild of the series ever happening under their watch and they'll continue to tweak and modify the current.
One of the hopes of the switch from THQ to 2k publishing was that Visual Concepts would be leading said ground-up rebuild.

This year, Yukes appears to be taken off this game and now Visual Concepts is the sole credited developer. However, the game remains visually extremely similar to the last few games. I think it's safe to conclude that the rebuild isn't ever happening.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
One of the hopes of the switch from THQ to 2k publishing was that Visual Concepts would be leading said ground-up rebuild.

This year, Yukes appears to be taken off this game and now Visual Concepts is the sole credited developer. However, the game remains visually extremely similar to the last few games. I think it's safe to conclude that the rebuild isn't ever happening.

It's clear that VC is still working with the same engine as the previous years. A much as Yukes can be criticized for their work, they have been working on the WWE (going all the way back to WWF) series for decades, and really did build a comprehensive game. Even though it is marred by bugs and all sorts of sloppy-ness. Rebuilding every single feature on a new engine is definitely a tall order, and I am sure WWE's contract specifies that 2K has to deliver a new game once a year.

Maybe VC can develop a new engine behind the scenes, and then just swap over. But for the time being, it seems like they have to work of of Yuke's game engine.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Wait, they have the same VC shit as in the nba games in this?

it's there and even more intrusive. Want a stunner, the people's elbow and Brock Lesnars walk for your CAW? You need to grind for Steve Austin, The Rock and Lesnar's move sets. You want more than the basic of the most basic items to design your CAW time to grind VC for it. Plus also Grinding VC for your stat improvements. It is so awful.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So this is clearly a yukes-2k wrestling game, but yukes is no longer the dev.

Does that mean 2k (?) actually owns all the assets and work from the past decade? Maybe we'll find out everything is different gameplay wise, but it seems really weird that a game that changed developers is the exact same game it would have been with the former devs at the helm. I won't begin to claim I understand how all the contracts and stuff works, but I would imagine they would at least need to change fairly drastic stuff if they got rid of yukes.

This isn't even "Blizzard couldn't get the Warhammer license so they renamed the factions" levels of (mostly mythical) shenanigans. this would be "Blizzard couldn't get the Warhammer license so they just took the Warhammer label off the box"

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's clear that VC is still working with the same engine as the previous years. A much as Yukes can be criticized for their work, they have been working on the WWE (going all the way back to WWF) series for decades, and really did build a comprehensive game. Even though it is marred by bugs and all sorts of sloppy-ness. Rebuilding every single feature on a new engine is definitely a tall order, and I am sure WWE's contract specifies that 2K has to deliver a new game once a year.

Maybe VC can develop a new engine behind the scenes, and then just swap over. But for the time being, it seems like they have to work of of Yuke's game engine.
While these are all fair points, the hope would be that VC would have started work on the engine back when 2k got the license. It would be very sensible to introduce the new engine when they remove Yuke's from the project. The fact that this doesn't appear to have happened is very disappointing, IMO.

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen no mention of a season pass - normally they're upfront that there will be DLC but they seem quiet on that this time. Maybe they'll confirm it later.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
While these are all fair points, the hope would be that VC would have started work on the engine back when 2k got the license. It would be very sensible to introduce the new engine when they remove Yuke's from the project. The fact that this doesn't appear to have happened is very disappointing, IMO.

To be honest, I was expecting the same thing too. I would imagine that VC would use their NBA2K engine and build off that, or something.

I would imagine that Yukes already had a contract signed with THQ that carried them to 2020 with the WWE franchise. perhaps 2K honored that contract, but didn't create a new one with Yukes, because they wanted to move development over to their own internal team. At least that is my best guess. I could very well be wrong.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017

How much of the current game code belongs to Yuke's and how much belongs to Visual Concepts? Like which developer owns what at this point? Starting with 2K15, VC was doing the design, graphics, motion capture and animations...

If this is indeed the end of Yuke's working relationship with 2K, it's going to be interesting to find out what exactly happened and where things will go from here. If it was a sudden split, it might make sense why the game reveal was so late this year: VC has been racing to finish the game without Yuke's doing a share of the work. It could end up being a really slapped together game. (ie. why there isn't a season pass)

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
How much of the current game code belongs to Yuke's and how much belongs to Visual Concepts? Like which developer owns what at this point? Starting with 2K15, VC was doing the design, graphics, motion capture and animations...

If this is indeed the end of Yuke's working relationship with 2K, it's going to be interesting to find out what exactly happened and where things will go from here. If it was a sudden split, it might make sense why the game reveal was so late this year: VC has been racing to finish the game without Yuke's doing a share of the work. It could end up being a really slapped together game. (ie. why there isn't a season pass)

I have no idea what the development history on this series is. But, I do remember hearing that VC would do all the motion capture work and animations too back in 2015 too.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Becky should have been on the cover solo, but it's better than nothing I guess. >_>

Despite watching wrestling every week, I don't really want the game, but like when D-Bry was on the cover I feel like buying it just to 'support' her.

My wife was saying it was weird she came in from above in the advert, as it's usually breaking through from below, 'making your way up' type thing.

Would have had to DBZ power crash up through the floor, that would have been cool too. XD

Uncle00Jesse

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder how many people in this thread saying how consistently bad these games are, have actually played one for more than an hour. I sense a lot of negative reaction band wagoners here. If you actually took the time to learn the mechanics and really dig into everything you can do, you'd see an excellent, deep and insanely fun game.