• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Yuke's abandoning ship must have really fucked up the development of this game. 2K19 was a good looking game.....what the hell happened?

s4-10b61cf7bad26db1c5a4b93d8a347940.jpg

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
How can they make the game look worse with each entry? I'm legit baffled by this.
Well there's tradeoffs for making it better in other areas. They have better animation now than they did back in the 'those look super real' days, more open areas, more item interaction...

TNA Impact for me is the high point of wrestling graphics, but it really suffered in the animation department - not so much in the animations which were generally ok, but they had issues getting the characters to 'mesh' so they would do things like change camera angles to hide the way they'd move characters around to make aerial moves hit, for example. Edit - this video at the 1:20 mark or so, when Styles goes off the rope it switches angles to hide the mismatch.

I guess that's making it a more realistic wrestling sim, in a way...

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well there's tradeoffs for making it better in other areas. They have better animation now than they did back in the 'those look super real' days, more open areas, more item interaction...

TNA Impact for me is the high point of wrestling graphics, but it really suffered in the animation department - not so much in the animations which were generally ok, but they had issues getting the characters to 'mesh' so they would do things like change camera angles to hide the way they'd move characters around to make aerial moves hit, for example.

I guess that's making it a more realistic wrestling sim, in a way...
I played last year's game. The animations still looked really stiff for a current gen game and the game even had loading screens (pretty long ones even on Pro) each time you went to backstage or came back to ringside. Not to mention how bad the character models looked.

All in all, it really didn't feel like a PS4 game at all. I legit thought I was playing a PS3 game.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Reminder, this is how the series looked 13 years ago.

fKnomAK.jpg

I8U6PKR.jpg

I dunno if they stopped facial/body scanning them because they look very cartoony compared to the old wrestling models from 13 years ago like you posted. Maybe it was an aesthetic choice to match the fidelity of the created wrestlers and the legends.

It felt like everything went downhill when they started motion capturing the animations. The moves/entrances/animations in general looked much better when they were hand animated back in the day.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It just looks so terrible. I think I'd prefer a more stylized presentation as they can't pull off realistic, something like All Stars.

Last edited:

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It just looks so terrible. I think I'd prefer a most stylized presentation as they can't pull off realistic, something like All Stars.

They don't seem to get that there is also a market for this kinda game, WWE 2k games are awful for Kids or casuals to play, they're too sim like, I've tried and the only way I can do it with my kids is to turn pins off (cause the kickout system sucks), turn off subs and just be KO only

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever. I'm just in it for the creation side of things and Universe mode. I just want shadows fixed on PC.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does a 2019 triple AAA (in theory) game with a huge budget look this bad????

It doesn't have a huge budget. Yuke's quit because they couldn't get funding to try new things and make the series better.

Christ what the hell happened?

Yuke's quit and are giving minimal support. Apparently 2k couldn't even get the engine running until August according to CM Pulse and they are rushing the game out the door. The playtest the YouTubers and the like usually have at Summerslam is now happening 2 weeks before release.

This one will be one for the ages. Even more broken than normal.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have a huge budget. Yuke's quit because they couldn't get funding to try new things and make the series better.

Yuke's quit and are giving minimal support. Apparently 2k couldn't even get the engine running until August according to CM Pulse and they are rushing the game out the door. The playtest the YouTubers and the like usually have at Summerslam is now happening 2 weeks before release.

This one will be one for the ages. Even more broken than normal.
Maybe I'll just stick with Fire Pro World for another year.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WWE 2k games have this issue where they look like shit to waste $60 for it, and by the time than they get cheap enough to consider a purchase, the next game is already coming.

Also, doesn't have the casual appeal of FIFA where even if you think that is too much money for the same game over and over again, at least there you could buy the game to have something to play with your casual friends

Last edited:

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
WWE 2k games have this issue where they look like shit to waste $60 for it, and by the time than they get cheap enough to consider a purchase, the next coming is already coming.

Also, doesn't have the casual appeal of FIFA where even if you think that is too much money for the same game over and over again, at least there you could buy the game to have something to play with your casual friends

I just wait for them until Black Friday. The last couple of years all the stores have had them for $30-$35

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
to this day i wonder who thought making wwe games more like sports sims was a good idea considering wrestling is nothing like a typical sports sim

The problem is its not a good sim. It tries to wade the line between sim and game to its failure, because Vince would never let a product break kayfabe. A game where you manage a wresting company for real would be killer. Gm mode 10 years ago got close.

Its the whos line is it anyway of stimulation games.

"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway?, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter. "

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Stopped playing these games ages ago, but 2 years ago i felt an urge to play due to nostalgia so i bought 2k17 to see how far these games have advanced since the ps2 days.

Well....

What the fuck did they do the gameplay? Counter, counter, counter, tapping, counter, counter, tapping, where is the fun in that?...... and about the graphics some wrestlers look great, other ps2 quality and i am not even joking, and the animation is still the same from the ps2 games, really???

My dream wwe game is a game developed by the tekken team using the same tekken gameplay, king marduk armor king are more enjoyable wrestlers to play than anything yukes came up with.

Aug 26, 2019
Devs did an interview yesterday and basically confirmed that there are no new core gameplay enhancements other than reworked controls. I wouldn't pay $10 for this game on launch.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is its not a good sim. It tries to wade the line between sim and game to its failure, because Vince would never let a product break kayfabe. A game where you manage a wresting company for real would be killer. Gm mode 10 years ago got close.

Its the whos line is it anyway of stimulation games.

"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway?, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter. "
I guess there's always TEW 2016 (2020 coming soon) for sim needs, although I could see it being an issue if you wanted like, gameplay visuals

data west

Oct 25, 2017
King of Colosseum 2 is a sport simulator and its a hundred times better than these things

and its nearly 2 decades old