• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wrestling threads on era always seem to boil down to some dick waving contest on who'se more cynical and over it. It doesn't make you an interesting or clever person.
Anyway, I'm not sure how AEW will do. the general public's appetite for pro wrestling comes and goes, and given that the indie scene seems to be somewhat healthy, it could be time for a second national promotion to gain a foothold. Its obvious that WWE isn't offering anything that is capturing people's interest, especially that younger demographic that they made bank on in the Attitude Era

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
NXT actually the ideal modern wrestling product for me.. its crazy the philosophy not followed by other show in some metric.

Tlhere is still Babyface and Heel idiom in NXT but thats not always dictated everything. Plenty of the time the heat is just rivalry between great wrestler.. why we cant do that in other show?

The match quality is great.. the presntation isnt feel too bright with bright red and blue color.. NXT just feel modern compared to RAW and SD.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
Love HHH's ability to work the media and fans into thinking that the second most powerful person in the company is being HELD BACK AND HAS ZERO INFLUENCE.

NXT sucks massively too what's the excuse for that
Ummm pretty sure nxt takeover blows away most wwe shows every fucking time they go on during big weekends . Been a ;ife long fan since 86 and have pretty much zero interest in WWE. Still believe they have amazing talent and only hope for the best with AEW getting big and making WWE cut back on the silly sports entertainment and go back to "pro wrestling".

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is a work. Haitch will now get back on TV playing the face and having a fake confrontation with Vince for Vince to finally kayfabe die leaving Paul in charge.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The funny thing is whether legit or not, you could look at almost every bullet point the caller brings up and be like "yeah I totally buy that".

I don't think the WWE will ever be good again until it's rid of all the McMahons, HHH included. It needs a completely new and fresh set of eyes on it.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope that with XFL he would turn his attention away from WWE and focus on that but I'm more and more worried he is going to do both and WWE will suffer because of it.

I kinda hope fans in the crowds start chanting "Fire Vince" or "Please Retire" whenever he is on TV, at least something so he might get an idea people want a change. Although by the pop he gets whenever he shows up that'll never happen.

At this point nothing is going to change until he dies.

Malvingt2

Oct 25, 2017
Chattanooga, TN
Does this really surprise anyone? I got back into wrestling awhile ago due to the amount of pure talent they have gathered but quit watching again due to frustration with them wasting that same talent to chase the same trends and gimmicks they have since the eighties and nineties, ie, the same things they have always done because Vince is in control and is an old dog refusing to learn new tricks. I'm really waiting for him to either honestly retire or get pushed out and Stephanie and H to take control for real and not just the camera, I bet you the product gets 10 times better.

They are not better.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Ummm pretty sure nxt takeover blows away most wwe shows every fucking time they go on during big weekends . Been a ;ife long fan since 86 and have pretty much zero interest in WWE. Still believe they have amazing talent and only hope for the best with AEW getting big and making WWE cut back on the silly sports entertainment and go back to "pro wrestling".

WWE is trash ya

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Read this earlier.

Really sad if true.

I hope HHH can take things to a better route once he becomes the main lead in decision making in the future.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
That's the excuse every smart fan has for a heel that gets heat that isn't a "good worker."

"He's not actually over, people just want him off their TV."

X-Pac Heat is a myth made up by people on the Internet in the 90's.

Nah he really is just plain bad. Can't cut a decent promo, can barely wrestle, looks like a moron. One of the many reasons i've not watched raw in months now.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I was around for the Attitude era. That shit was magical. Too bad they won't (can't) go back.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
And I thought the ruthless aggression era was trash....now, all of that is totally refreshing to watch over the current shows with the exception of NXT. I've been pro-WWF since the next generation era but now I really hope AEW succeeds and cements it's place, not for my personal enjoyment, but for these wrestlers to finally have better work conditions and negotiating power again.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So is Trips the hero we've been waiting for or merely a power hungry upstart trying to control the narrative of his own future, I have no idea anymore...

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
TripleH is going to be the same age Vince is now when Vince dies, and he'll be just as senile. There is no hope for WWE, let it go.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
It's crazy to think they have the most stacked roster in their history and have their worst product since the mid 90s....it's pretty astonishing when you think about it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Wrestling threads on era always seem to boil down to some dick waving contest on who'se more cynical and over it. It doesn't make you an interesting or clever person.
Anyway, I'm not sure how AEW will do. the general public's appetite for pro wrestling comes and goes, and given that the indie scene seems to be somewhat healthy, it could be time for a second national promotion to gain a foothold. Its obvious that WWE isn't offering anything that is capturing people's interest, especially that younger demographic that they made bank on in the Attitude Era

I mean, they've held a near monopoly on mainstream wrestling in NA for the past twenty years. And they've done shit-all with it. They have mad money, an amazing roster of workers (both men and women) and like a billion hours of television to showcase as much good talent as they want. And they're putting out fucking garbage. So when you have people that clearly love an artform like Pro Wrasslin and see it denigrated into this formulaic illogical mess of garbage, mad people are gonna be upset by that. If Transformers-era Michael Bay was the only one allowed to make blockbuster movies, people would be cynical and complain about that shit too lmfao.

AEW may not be the messiah people hope for, but competition can only be a great thing.

And I don't even know if Triple H can change the inertia of Vince's pull of craziness, if that makes sense. Does anyone think Vince would willingly give up the (roman) reigns to his baby?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
HHH is a racist Trump supporter. So I don't care what he thinks or feels. And I certainly don't care about NXT for the same reason.

Bring on AEW.

Oct 27, 2017
Dave weighs in on this in the observer:

Some notes regarding different things of late. Paul Levesque, while never saying anything publicly, those close to the situation say he's very frustrated with how things are going on the main roster. One person noted that a big problem isn't Vince not being open to suggestions, but that they believe he's far too open these days to suggestions and that it ends up watering down all the original visions and storylines. We're told that there has been too much input from too many people on the team who haven't figured out that when you change something in a story, it has a ripple effect on every aspect of the story. He solicits input on so much from so many people that it leads to things being watered down. There is a question of how Vince is going to cope with things early next year once the XFL starts. I can recall in 2001 when everyone doing both was just exhausted during football season. For better or worse, Vince's workload is crazy now. He's often in the office past midnight, close to 3 a.m. at least once a week and Friday's his easy day, he's working until 8 p.m. It's mostly work and lifting weights, and occasionally watching some football on the weekend. The feeling is once the XFL starts, even though he says nothing will change, that it is simply impossible that's the case unless he spends little time on the XFL. And since he's got so much riding on the XFL, and is spending so much money on it, I can't see him staying out of it. Regarding the family, Levesque picks his spots to talk with Vince, but never does it in front of anyone. Stephanie has nothing to do with creative. Shane does pitch ideas for himself but they rarely get used

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That is true; with the current shows, having blood probably wouldn't help. I'm not expecting it to be CZW tournament of death every week with JEEZUS Zandig, but at least some heat. For as much as I hate him, Baron Corbin does draw legit heat during his promos; if his wrestling were as good as his promos, he would be outstanding.

Yeah... I really struggle with the heat guys generate today, and I can't tell if Baron Corbin is 'fuck off heat' or not. Like, "get the fuck off the TV" heat. Where as, the heat of a heel 15-30 years ago was legit dislike but the fans wanted you to stay on stage/ring/TV to boo you.

For instance, a guy like MJF in the indies -- Maxwell Jacob Friedman -- gets heat where he goes, people love to hate him, and they want him in the ring and out in front of the crowd because they want to boo him and make fun of his heel persona (MJF, uniquely, also sticks with his gimmick like everywhere even when selling merch or taking photos with fans... where as other indie heels usually break character and are nice because they want to sell merch naturally it's their payday). I often think the heat that Corbin gets is like "Get the fuck out of the ring because you're so boring" heat, that they just want the segment over.

But TBH I haven't watched a Corbin segment in a long time, so I could be wrong