• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
The only people I see come to the product are young, young kids and people who watched back in the day and are wondering what's happening these days. Don't imagine there's anything lamer to that 12-17 age range than watching wrestling.

A problem for a lengthy live show like Raw is other mediums have never been easier to enjoy, be it gaming, watching youtube content, streaming services. Why would a 17 year old kid devote 5+ hours a week to watching Raw & SD (and NXT, 205LIVE and a PPV) which air in a specific timeslot when they can play Fortnite with their friends, for free, whenever they want?

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
The only people I see come to the product are young, young kids and people who watched back in the day and are wondering what's happening these days. Don't imagine there's anything lamer to that 12-17 age range than watching wrestling.

A problem for a lengthy live show like Raw is other mediums have never been easier to enjoy, be it gaming, watching youtube content, streaming services. Why would a 17 year old kid devote 5+ hours a week to watching Raw & SD (and NXT, 205LIVE and a PPV) which air in a specific timeslot when they can play Fortnite with their friends, for free, whenever they want?
My 14 and 17 year olds both tell me in no uncertain terms how lame they think it is when I watch NJPW. Can only imagine the response to WWE if I watched it.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hated how Raw opened with Shane and Steph but I stuck with it throughout the night between it and the Nets/Sixers game. I wanted to see who the mystery partner was and AJ was a good surprise. I figured it would be Kofi or Dean.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
No

Keep focusing on the XFL

giphy.gif
Somewhat related, but on the same show Dave also said that the AAF approached Vince back in December to merge with the XFL because they only had like 1/10th of the money to run a full season. Vince turned them down and they got $25 million from another investor to run the games that they did.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
Why is this thread still open? It reads like just a WWE rumor chat

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is this thread still open? It reads like just a WWE rumor chat
Because it regularly gives official ratings for wwe shows which continues to show they are hemorrhaging viewers.

With their new TV deals coming up and the executive expectations of them to increase viewers dramatically before the start it's relevant to see how things are going.

Not sure why you have an issue exactly.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
There's even a mod on this very page contributing to the discussion, I don't get how anyone could think this is an off-topic thread on any part of its existence, let alone in the past 24 hours

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because there's discussion to be had?

Theres a thread for that in Hangouts

Because it regularly gives official ratings for wwe shows which continues to show they are hemorrhaging viewers.

With their new TV deals coming up and the executive expectations of them to increase viewers dramatically before the start it's relevant to see how things are going.

Not sure why you have an issue exactly.

No real issue, just curiosity because anytime this thread pops up I get the impression the ratings hit a new low and, you know, thats not the news its just "whatever I didnt like about WWE this week oh heres a thread"

Isak_Borg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Theres a thread for that in Hangouts

No real issue, just curiosity because anytime this thread pops up I get the impression the ratings hit a new low and, you know, thats not the news its just "whatever I didnt like about WWE this week oh heres a thread"

You could just ignore the thread and move on man... No reason to come in here and shit on people who are having a valid discussion.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The next 5-10 years WWE will continue to have record revenues, but they are doing irreparable harm to their brand long teem. Their audience is getting older and smaller as they bleed young people.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't get why folks seem to think WWE is untouchable because of their revenue. Much of the revenue comes from their TV deals. If the ratings continue to plummet, it is unlikely they get another large deal.

If Fox could go back in time, I wonder if they'd still make the deal...

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Hated how Raw opened with Shane and Steph but I stuck with it throughout the night between it and the Nets/Sixers game. I wanted to see who the mystery partner was and AJ was a good surprise. I figured it would be Kofi or Dean.
Wut? Kofi is the Smackdown champ, and Deal is leaving the company (and is already on Raw). Why would it be either of them? lol

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Wut? Kofi is the Smackdown champ, and Deal is leaving the company (and is already on Raw). Why would it be either of them? lol
There's nothing that says that they couldn't switch the titles around. Could put wwe champ on raw and universal on Smackdown. They'd probably color the universal blue.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
The draft was a thousand times more hype, this is just "here's the newest member". No real anticipation or build up in show just "yeah, they moved".

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I don't get why folks seem to think WWE is untouchable because of their revenue. Much of the revenue comes from their TV deals. If the ratings continue to plummet, it is unlikely they get another large deal.

If Fox could go back in time, I wonder if they'd still make the deal...

I think I've said it a few times now, but surely there must be contract clauses regarding the ratings expected of WWE programming. If Smackdown ends up drawing half of the audience that Fox expects, I wonder how likely it is that there are get outs or forced renegotiation clauses that could be activated.

Maybe there are no get outs, but I have trouble believing that Fox would sign a five year deal without some escape clauses if WWE's programming fails to live up to promises.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've stopped watching any weekly WWE whatsoever. I was already not watching every week, but now I don't even flip through Smackdown here and there like I used to. Shit sucks. All of it is rotten. I'll just go out and drunk if I really want to kill more brain cells.

AEW TV can't come soon enough.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've said it a few times now, but surely there must be contract clauses regarding the ratings expected of WWE programming. If Smackdown ends up drawing half of the audience that Fox expects, I wonder how likely it is that there are get outs or forced renegotiation clauses that could be activated.

Maybe there are no get outs, but I have trouble believing that Fox would sign a five year deal without some escape clauses if WWE's programming fails to live up to promises.

the one part of this whole story that I'm sure fox is THRILLED about is ronda rousey fucking off for a year.

imagine buying the rights to an iron man tv series where tony stark is played by robert downey jr, but then come air time rbj is no longer available. the fuck did they just pay for? ronda was their biggest star during negotiations, and they obviously paid based on her availability. the rest of the wwe roster is a bunch of no name jabronis.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
the one part of this whole story that I'm sure fox is THRILLED about is ronda rousey fucking off for a year.

imagine buying the rights to an iron man tv series where tony stark is played by robert downey jr, but then come air time rbj is no longer available. the fuck did they just pay for? ronda was their biggest star during negotiations, and they obviously paid based on her availability. the rest of the wwe roster is a bunch of no name jabronis.
They really threw Roman Reigns on Smackdown like that was the same thing. lol

This is the problem with the "no stars bigger than the brand" mentality: the stars are the whole reason people watch. Sure, there's a sizable contingent that will watch WWE no matter what, but we see those numbers are dwindling. This is the only TV show I know of that expects you to be okay with not caring too much about any of the characters.

The Maharaja

Oct 25, 2017
Raw viewership

Monday's WWE Raw television show averaged 2.374 million viewers, according to Showbuzzdaily.com. Viewership was down from the 2.665 million average from last week.

Powell's POV: The first hour of Raw averaged 2.680 million viewers. Hour two drew 2.296 million viewers. The final hour of the show averaged 2.146 million viewers. Call me crazy, but I think it's time to stop putting Baron Corbin in the Raw main events. The April 23, 2018 edition of Raw delivered 3.104 million viewers

Last edited:

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be one of the weakest starts to a new "season" for WWE in quite some time. The shakeup was done so nonchalantly that any surprises they had in store just fell super flat.

Theres no wonder why ratings are falling and people like me who were watching regularly are falling off, its because we are tired of seeing the same old shit over and over again. They just recycle storylines when things get stale and act like its a big deal, but in reality, we already saw this shit 6 months ago.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not surprised at the rating, the show is so boring outside some decent matches. No reason to watch Raw live when you can watch the few decent segments on YouTube afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.