• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was match of the weekend?

• War Raiders vs Ricochet and Aleister Black

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole

Votes: 97 49.5%
  • Smackdkwn tag fatal 4 way

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Dan

Votes: 48 24.5%

• Total voters

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Lol fucking okay, WWE is not that stupid. NJ Transit shifting the blame on their shit service like always.

Back in the Pre WWE Network days, all PPV's ended between 10:45 and 11pm no matter what. Being ready for 10:30 would make sense for that.

I can totally see WWE forgetting to tell them the card is going to run long until last minute.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I think way more than pessimists would give him credit for... Going back, guys like Yokozuna, Undertaker, Kane, Michaels, Ultimate Warrior, Razor Ramon, and many, many more. Not that those guys were incapable of getting themselves over or that "Vince is the one who made them who they were" or something, but it's always a mix, and none of them were particularly bonafide stars outside of WWF, and in WWF they all became some of the biggest names in wrestling.
Out of the names you listed here Undertaker is basically the only Vince creation that actually became a star.
  • Ultimate Warrior's entire gimmick was a pre-Vince thing, the only thing Vince changed was one half of the name.
  • Razor Ramon was a mid-carder his entire WWF run. He became a bigger star in WCW
  • Kane is just Taker Redux and the wrestler also had multiple failed Vince gimmicks before Kane happened.
Plus a lot of WWE's historic stars usually found their own gimmicks after their original Vince approved gimmick fell apart. Hogan, Austin, Rock, HBK, Cena, and so forth are all part of that list.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the names you listed here Undertaker is basically the only Vince creation that actually became a star.
  • Ultimate Warrior's entire gimmick was a pre-Vince thing, the only thing Vince changed was one half of the name.
  • Razor Ramon was a mid-carder his entire WWF run. He became a bigger star in WCW
  • Kane is just Taker Redux and the wrestler also had multiple failed Vince gimmicks before Kane happened.
Plus a lot of WWE's historic stars usually found their own gimmicks after their original Vince approved gimmick fell apart. Hogan, Austin, Rock, HBK, Cena, and so forth are all part of that list.
It takes a Booker to book people to bcomes those stars and Vince book those guys. Did some of the gimmicks fell or were change yes but that's just wrestling

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the segments that I missed, and how the fuck does Cena still look like 2004 Cena?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Taker was not over AT ALL when he debuted. Many also highlight how Taker was on to consistently work safe and normal. That HIAC match was pushed a lot by Mick and getting him to work out of his comfort zone.
Taker was plenty over in the early stages of his career. When Taker fought Yokuzuna for the title at the Royal Rumble in the ca

Oct 25, 2017
I was quite impressed with how loud an open air arena sound during the kofi win. Usually they sound a bit muted due to the loss of sound.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taker nearly flopped initially and owes his success to mankind, full stop

Razor made his name more in WCW than wwe

HBK was Shawn and Vince caving to everything for him
Taker owes his success to Paul Bearer.

Scott Hall came up with the Razor gimmick himself, and besides that, had already been groomed by Verne Gagne and Jim Ross in the AWA and WCW (first stint) as a potential mega star during the second half of the 80s.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think Razor was a star. He is one of the most recognizable and memorable guys of that era. He was a midcarder during a time when the title was usually dominated by one or two guys and there was far less opportunity to rise up the ranks, but midcarders during that time were still stars and still over (see Mr Perfect or Rick Rude).

To add to your point though, I think Razor probably really started to break out when Scott Hall started to infuse more of his own personality and charisma into the initially one note, one dimensional character WWF creative gave him, and you really started to see this shine when he got to WCW.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the Taker debate, let us remember that their initial plan for Mark Calaway was him hatching out of the giant egg they were hyping for Survivor Series that year and becoming "The Eggman." Then someone came to their senses just days before the show and they thew together The Undertaker gimmick as a replacement.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
On the Taker debate, let us remember that their initial plan for Mark Calaway was suppose to be him hatch out of the giant egg they were hyping for Survivor Series that year as "The Eggman," before someone came to their senses just days before the show and they thew together The Undertaker gimmick as a replacement.

Imagine if after Takers final match he crawled back into the egg.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn's commentary last night was so bad it was great.

way70_1.jpg

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
refs are not supposed to stop the count. That would look awful.

I agree but if you know the ending and whats happening is not the end, make something up. I see plenty of slow ass counts all the time just for that reason. All he had to do was give it a 2.5 and say she lifted her shoulder or something. No one would have cared.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Also, despite all the pushing of Warrior to the top, torch passing title win at WM 6, he was not a success as top guy. Hell, Hogan was back in the main event by the next WM like he'd never passed the torch at all.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I agree but if you know the ending and whats happening is not the end, make something up. I see plenty of slow ass counts all the time just for that reason. All he had to do was give it a 2.5 and say she lifted her shoulder or something. No one would have cared.
And they genuinely have stopped counting exactly like that before. I mentioned the Jericho/Neville match earlier as an example, where Jericho rolled Neville up after he broke his ankle to try and finish the match early, but the ref hadn't noticed the injury so didn't realize what was happening. He stopped counting after 2.5 and pretended there was a kick-out when there VERY clearly wasn't, so Jericho lost it and yelled at the ref in front of the entire arena for being so useless at his job =P

Refs do not count to 3 too early. He did his job exactly as asked. Theories about management going behind the girls' backs, and asking the ref to count Ronda out without telling them... could be true. But the most likely truth is that it ended exactly as planned and just wasn't a very good ending.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
My biggest suggestion is to give the undercard actual feuds for Mania. Give Usos another legit tag team to feud with. Usos vs Hardyz would've been interesting. Nobody was invested in Joe vs Mysterio or Lashley vs Balor because there was no story behind either.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
And they genuinely have stopped counting exactly like that before. I mentioned the Jericho/Neville match earlier as an example, where Jericho rolled Neville up after he broke his ankle to try and finish the match early, but the ref hadn't noticed the injury so didn't realize what was happening. He stopped counting after 2.5 and pretended there was a kick-out when there VERY clearly wasn't, so Jericho lost it and yelled at the ref in front of the entire arena for being so useless at his job =P

Refs do not count to 3 too early. He did his job exactly as asked. Theories about management going behind the girls' backs, and asking the ref to count Ronda out without telling them... could be true. But the most likely truth is that it ended exactly as planned and just wasn't a very good ending.

I remember that match vividly. And I think youre right, it probably was the planned ending. I didnt know Rhonda was injured initially after the match last night, but that may also explain the early/weird ending too.

Either way, I just dont understand how in the main event a botch like that could happen. It had to have been planned that way.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest suggestion is to give the undercard actual feuds for Mania. Give Usos another legit tag team to feud with. Usos vs Hardyz would've been interesting. Nobody was invested in Joe vs Mysterio or Lashley vs Balor because there was no story behind either.

How about giving them feuds in general, not just for Mania?

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Wait so people are discounting the rock because he is mixed? Then Obama isn't the first black president because he is mixed too?

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Wait so people are discounting the rock because he is mixed? Then Obama isn't the first black president because he is mixed too?
I think it's because everyone just kinda primarily thought of Rock as a Samoan.

Samoan heritage is such a big deal in wrestling that people look to it to give rubs to people like Roman Reigns, the Usos, Umaga, or Nia Jax. In hindsight, people look at that as a bigger deal for Rock than him being part Black.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...are you really complaining about babyfaces going over? Like what are you talking about?

When they all go over on the same night... Yes.

The whole thing was overly scripted, overly long and overly predictable... but that's just me :p

Anyway after that I'm done with pro wrestling. I only watched it once a year anyway lol.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if WWE did acknowledge the Rock as their first black champion, it would kinda make them look bad since they would also have to acknowledge that it wasnt until 1998.

WCW did it in 92. 🤔

warp_

Banned
Mar 23, 2019
The whole thing was overly scripted, overly long and overly predictable... but that's just me :p
24 hours ago this thread was predicting a Kofi/Seth/Becky loss and saying there was no chance all three win. :) Oh well. In the end we got an entertaining and above all...ICONIC wrestlemania.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
24 hours ago this thread was predicting a Kofi/Seth/Becky loss and saying there was no chance all three win. :) Oh well. In the end we got an entertaining and above all...ICONIC wrestlemania.
The match quality was awful with some of them just being straight embarrassments.

This was the worst Wrestlemania in the last 10 years

warp_

Banned
Mar 23, 2019
The match quality was awful with some of them just being straight embarrassments.

This was the worst Wrestlemania in the last 10 years
You are free to have any opinion you want but I can't really see much to support that. I enjoyed the show immensely, bummer that you did not.

Nocturnowl I'll have to agree there. 29 was pretty poor and 32 was definitely worse...and I'm a sucker for wrestling I attended live but even I can admit the spectacle of 32 made up for the show itself.