• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also important to include the context of X-Force #8 when talking about The Crucible.

unknown.png

Colossus and Domino both have been through some extremely traumatic events recently in the pursuit of protecting Krakoa and mutant kind. X-Force #8 finds them discussing Colossus bringing up the possibility of just letting themselves drown and return without that trauma.

The victims of M-Day, all one million of them are no less traumatized psychologically and physiologically than these two. Many, not all but many, of them are having exactly these kinds of conversations. Considerations.

The Crucible is another option. One that lets them take some control. Make a choice that's in their hands the whole way through. To die on their feet fighting for their right to return restored. To regain what was stolen from them. Instead of dying lonely and afraid after doing something irrevocable out of a sense of powerlessness.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone gives me logical reasons to like Cyclops
main-qimg-34b7897f50ad9f63360639ac39279601

Mutant persecution in the Marvel Universe was always an interesting concept but it never made a ton of sense to me in relation to the rest of the world. You got people high fiving Spider-Man on their way to an anti-mutant rally. Would anyone ever really know or care for the difference between a mutant and an enhanced human? Then you factor in the Inhumans and you start to wonder how anyone ever knows the difference.

I've never understood why people try to rationalize racism, lol.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mutant persecution in the Marvel Universe was always an interesting concept but it never made a ton of sense to me in relation to the rest of the world. You got people high fiving Spider-Man on their way to an anti-mutant rally. Would anyone ever really know or care for the difference between a mutant and an enhanced human? Then you factor in the Inhumans and you start to wonder how anyone ever knows the difference.
Racism isn't logical.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also important to include the context of X-Force #8 when talking about The Crucible.

unknown.png

Colossus and Domino both have been through some extremely traumatic events recently in the pursuit of protecting Krakoa and mutant kind. X-Force #8 finds them discussing Colossus bringing up the possibility of just letting themselves drown and return without that trauma.

The victims of M-Day, all one million of them are no less traumatized psychologically and physiologically than these two. Many, not all but many, of them are having exactly these kinds of conversations. Considerations.

The Crucible is another option. One that lets them take some control. Make a choice that's in their hands the whole way through. To die on their feet fighting for their right to return restored. To regain what was stolen from them. Instead of dying lonely and afraid after doing something irrevocable out of a sense of powerlessness.

Thanks for adding this!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Mutant persecution in the Marvel Universe was always an interesting concept but it never made a ton of sense to me in relation to the rest of the world. You got people high fiving Spider-Man on their way to an anti-mutant rally. Would anyone ever really know or care for the difference between a mutant and an enhanced human?
Everyone shit's on Spider-Man.

But even though mutants and mutates/superhumans/post-humans/enhanced humans are distinctions without a difference, in universe, the latter aren't hated because they're purpose built. Spider-Man wasn't a spontaneous thing, Captain America wasn't a spontaneous thing, Hulk wasn't a spontaneous thing (well, he was, but you know what I mean).

All are a result of a science experiment or something. With mutants, there's spontaneity in their development. You could be flirting with someone in the line at a coffee shop one second, and they could cough and that cough could activate their latent X-Gene that gives them the ability to agitate air molecules until everything around them in a 10 foot radius catches on fire.

With lab accidents, at least you can rationalize them being in or around labs or military installations. Mutant powers can develop anywhere and at any time from any number of people. The unexpected nature of it is why it's scary, and the degree in what the unexpected powers can be makes it worse.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having not read the comics, I'm a bit confused.

How is this really that fucked if the same soul and not a clone is coming out on the other side? I mean yeah they die, but they come back akin. What are the stakes? Am I misunderstanding something? Is the moral quandary whether or not they can get more powers or not?

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Now, there is Machine Man and various androids and robots who want to acknowledge as sentient beings.

Oct 25, 2017

It's always been about fear and evolution. People like Spiderman, the FF, Hulk, etc. got their powers in freak accidents that can't be replicated. Mutants can be born from any human and are the next step in evolution. Humans are afraid of being replaced at the end of the day. Back in the mutant boom in Morrison's run, Beast said that humans would be extinct within 5 generations.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why people try to rationalize racism, lol.
Racism isn't logical.

It's always been about fear and evolution. People like Spiderman, the FF, Hulk, etc. got their powers in freak accidents that can't be replicated. Mutants can be born from any human and are the next step in evolution. Humans are afraid of being replaced at the end of the day. Back in the mutant boom in Morrison's run, Beast said that humans would be extinct within 5 generations.
I should clarify that I get what they're trying to say with mutants, and I get why anti-mutant sentiment exists, and that's not what I'm asking

But how do the PUBLIC know the difference between mutants and not? With that Spider-Man instance for example. Peter's incident isn't common knowledge. For all they know he's totally a mutant. For all they know a LOT of superheroes are mutants because their backstories aren't common knowledge.

If I was walking down the street in the Marvel universe and I phased through a wall, what would you assume I was? Mutant, enhanced human, Inhuman, alien, robot, robot alien, or human with tech?

Look at Wolverine. Dude was one then he was BOTH

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

How is this really that fucked if the same soul and not a clone is coming out on the other side? I mean yeah they die, but they come back akin. What are the stakes? Am I misunderstanding something? Is the moral quandary whether or not they can get more powers or not?

Well, it's the notion that they have decided that they have to die in this wild way to 'earn' it.

But yeah, the resurrection is a lot more complex than 'they come back exactly how they died'. They can come back younger, without bad memories, with diseases removed, etc. So citizens are asking about being resurrected with better bodies and better powers etc, which is a fairly slippery slope

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The experience of reading this issue - and really this whole run so far, all the way back to House of #1, but this issue especially - was not unlike the sort of house style of horror-thriller that A24 has established in the past decade. Something immediately feels Not Right from the very beginning of the issue and the anxiety induced in the audience is slowly ramped up to a head.

As soon as I saw the flower crown I thought of Midsommar. Is it a reference? Probably not, but it may as well be because the feel of the issue is ultimately the same as is the framing. It is an utterly horrific and yet, beautiful look at the type of thing that can happen when organized religion finds an answer for existential crisis. And I don't say that as a passing of judgement. Hickman is doing phenomenal work.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017

thats actually one of the questions raised here, its totally unknown if a mutants soul is kept in the transfer.
Like the body is a totally new creation, the psychye is a copy kept by Xavier. It seems to not have any nefarious effects but matter like that dont makes themselves easily answered.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

unknown.png

This issue also raised a concern that Cyc and Nightcrawler were discussing. It was the cliffhanger but the fact that there are multiple Dominos out there could mean someone's been messing around with Domino's DNA to emulate her luck powers which might have much bigger implications considering all the X DNA that's laying around.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

There's a whole host of avenues and politics behind it. The morality is, do you bring them back as they died, or remove that trauma? If you remove that trauma, are they the same person? What happens if you revive them and it turns out that they weren't actually dead? What about existing clones of living mutants (Wolverine, Magneto, and Apocalypse all have clones currently running around, for example), are they subject to revival?

Then there's the people outright excluded from being revived. The dilemma isn't in the revival itself, but the process involving it.

That, and telling a teenager that she has to have a deathmatch against one of the strongest people on Earth to get her powers back when any one of the telepaths could mentally sedate her, Wolverine could stab her in the head, and she could be revived without being abused is kind of fucked.

Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify that I get what they're trying to say with mutants, and I get why anti-mutant sentiment exists, and that's not what I'm asking

But how do the PUBLIC know the difference between mutants and not? With that Spider-Man instance for example. Peter's incident isn't common knowledge. For all they know he's totally a mutant. For all they know a LOT of superheroes are mutants because their backstories aren't common knowledge.

If I was walking down the street in the Marvel universe and I phased through a wall, what would you assume I was? Mutant, enhanced human, Inhuman, alien, robot, robot alien, or human with tech?

Spiderman has earned his trust from the public and he himself was persecuted for a long time. The X-Men have always said they were mutants and never shied away from it, but there were moments when mutants existed on other super teams and didn't get backlash, like Justice or Firestar. It's just branding. Hell, the original X-Factor team was 5 mutants who pretended to be mutant hunters and they were insanely popular with the public.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That, and telling a teenager that she has to have a deathmatch against one of the strongest people on Earth to get her powers back when any one of the telepaths could mentally sedate her, Wolverine could stab her in the head, and she could be revived without being abused is kind of fucked.
Yeah, this was the main thing I was thinking. It seems like a lot of extra pain for... What? These people did nothing wrong, why do they have to prove themselves?

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was the main thing I was thinking. It seems like a lot of extra pain for... What? These people did nothing wrong, why do they have to prove themselves?

Yeah, even though I posted this thread, I could still use a bit more convincing on the need for the Crucible. The best I can come up with is that it's a way to revive the fighting spirit in them before the revival of the body. Apocalypse's speech before and during the fight is all about drawing out a sense of purpose in Melody. They are also putting a strict requirement on it as a deterrent from just suicide, which I -guess- I can see the reasoning for.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman has earned his trust from the public and he himself was persecuted for a long time. The X-Men have always said they were mutants and never shied away from it, but there were moments when mutants existed on other super teams and didn't get backlash, like Justice or Firestar. It's just branding. Hell, the original X-Factor team was 5 mutants who pretended to be mutant hunters and they were insanely popular with the public.
So effectively they don't until they're told and they figure it out that way

Also a bit of a nitpick but the difference between dormant Inhumans and mutants is a little negligible since biological mutations can mean effectively anything in that world.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a lot of extra pain for... What? These people did nothing wrong, why do they have to prove themselves?
To quote myself
Would you prefer they just line up to be impaled, or hung, or shot, or killed in some way where they are sufficiently helpless to make it seem less like a choice they have made and more like an execution? Or would it be better if they took matters into their own hands privately?
So effectively they don't until they're told and they figure it out that way
See what happens to folks passing as white when white folks find out they have a non-white parent.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They have to build up the new nation as a cult. Given all the ways their plan has failed in the past (10 times), and them having the knowledge in how things have turned out, some cult like social engineering is going to be needed for the foundation so shit doesn't fall apart from that many egos.

Which also makes it fucked.

Sidebar: Xavier should really revive Eplison Red. Not sure if he was a mutant, but the Russian Red Room used him to do the same thing Xavier is doing, except he copied the Black Widows and implanted them back into cloned bodies. This is how Natasha came back to life after Secret Empire. If Epsilon is a mutant, he should be on Krakoa, too.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah yeah mutants are a cult now I get it, but whats with the brief cryptic glimpse of

warlock?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The other option is to have them undergo therapy, use the same genetic samples that they would use for the regeneration process in the first place, and then do some Weapon Plus shit to genetically modify them to have powers back. 1:1 gene implanting doesn't work per all of the M-Day fallout stuff, but designer superhumans are already a thing, so there's no reason why they couldn't give someone who had wings a different kind of marginally different wings.

But I guess they wouldn't be mutant mutants.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The other option is to have them undergo therapy, use the same genetic samples that they would use for the regeneration process in the first place, and then do some Weapon Plus shit to genetically modify them to have powers back. 1:1 gene implanting doesn't work per all of the M-Day fallout stuff, but designer superhumans are already a thing, so there's no reason why they couldn't give someone who had wings a different kind of marginally different wings.

And Krakoa might reject them, which is rough but a factor

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Will the AI Army from Iron Man 2020 have any correlation with the human-machine hybrids from Powers of X?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See what happens to folks passing as white when white folks find out they have a non-white parent.

Fair enough. In highschool I was black accidentally passing for Asian due to my name and meeting specific stereotypes. Didn't realize that's what was going on until they met me in person. That was a weird one...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And Krakoa might reject them, which is rough but a factor
They wouldn't be able to pass through the gates unaided, but I don't see how they'd be rejected unless they did something to be rejected. Corsair was already shown to be on Krakoa (at least, the extension of it on the moon) without any issues. Mutants restored that way shouldn't have an issue, either.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah yeah mutants are a cult now I get it, but whats with the brief cryptic glimpse of

warlock?

Powers of X established that the technark fall under the phalanx in a species hierarchy. There's no way to know exactly what that little meeting Cyke walked in on was about unless Hickman decides to double back to it, but if Warlock is "phoning home" so to speak and the X-Men leadership don't know about it, that's a massive threat that could just pop up at any moment.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

The island literally has psychic therapists working 'round the clock. Clearly therapy isn't a cureall for the one million victims of M-Day. Moreover "subject the lot of them to experimental technology we don't actually have access to currently in hopes that a prosthetic powerset will alleviate their trauma" certainly seems like a great idea.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this issue, but it's so incredibly fucked. Here's what the crucible is. The mutants are -killing people- through a cult ritual involving beating them to near death while gaslighting them into believing it's good for them, and then executing with a freaking sword. And then they replace them with superpowered clones. The X-Men are villains now. Everything about this is so wrong, but super interesting to read. I can't even imagine where Hickman is going to go with this, but it'll be a ride finding out.
I don't disagree, in that I find it uncomfortable at times, but it makes a ton of sense that it would hurt our sense of morality.
My assumption ever since House of X is that Hickman is mostly exploring the ramifications of an actual mutant culture emerging, built on their past experiences and the very practical reality of immortality and resurrection. Considering philosophy and religion are built on the premise of dealing with our own mortality, it's interesting to see how an immortal society would develop its morals, particularly if it lives next to a mortal society that has been trying to exterminate it for decades. So yeah, no shit Apocalypse is the guy they go to.
The biggest success here is seeing how not everyone is buying it or coming to terms with it, particularly Scott and Logan.
As you pointed out, as long as it remains this cohesive, this should be a fun ride like we've never seen before.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute - Goldballs is one of the mutants that's doing the ressurecting? Goldballs the guy that makes gold balls appear? That's something I'm going to need explaining.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The island literally has psychic therapists working 'round the clock. Clearly therapy isn't a cureall for the one million victims of M-Day. Moreover "subject the lot of them to experimental technology we don't actually have access to currently in hopes that a prosthetic powerset will alleviate their trauma" certainly seems like a great idea.
They're on a island with Forge, Dr Nemesis, Beast, and Mr. Sinister.

They have the technology. And considering that superpowers can come in shots and inhaler form with MGH and Kick, those four coming up with a solution that's permanent via aerosol inhalation wouldn't be invasive, traumatic, or outside of the realm of possibility.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
That sounds both fascinating and terrifying as a concept. Though I really can't blame the mutants for going this far after everything they've been through.

What's Elixir been up to btw? Wasn't he pretty instrumental in stopping the Terrigen mists from killing mutants? His powers would be pretty useful for this, right? Is he a part of the whole process?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds both fascinating and terrifying as a concept. Though I really can't blame the mutants for going this far after everything they've been through.

What's Elixir been up to btw? Wasn't he pretty instrumental in stopping the Terrigen mists from killing mutants? His powers would be pretty useful for this, right? Is he a part of the whole process?
He's involved.

marvel.fandom.com

Five (Earth-616)

Following the foundation of the mutant state of Krakoa, Charles Xavier established a group of mutants known as “the Five” (Tempus, Proteus, Hope Summers, Elixir, and Egg) with the goal of resurrecting all mutants that had died before their time. 56 appearance(s) of Five (Earth-616) 3 minor...

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Elixir is one of the five mutants involved with Resurrection, yeah.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just read it. Stunning. This run has been something else. So many issues just leave me thinking. It's weird, tense, creepy, inspiring, it's just powerful stuff.

my experience as a trans woman is constantly on my mind. There's multiple themes and concepts where you can replace mutant with queer and it's thought provoking. What if I could die to be reborn cis? What if we left straight society?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree, in that I find it uncomfortable at times, but it makes a ton of sense that it would hurt our sense of morality.
My assumption ever since House of X is that Hickman is mostly exploring the ramifications of an actual mutant culture emerging, built on their past experiences and the very practical reality of immortality and resurrection. Considering philosophy and religion are built on the premise of dealing with our own mortality, it's interesting to see how an immortal society would develop its morals, particularly if it lives next to a mortal society that has been trying to exterminate it for decades. So yeah, no shit Apocalypse is the guy they go to.
The biggest success here is seeing how not everyone is buying it or coming to terms with it, particularly Scott and Logan.
As you pointed out, as long as it remains this cohesive, this should be a fun ride like we've never seen before.
Yeah, I might not be convinced on the morality of the crucible, but it's a great example of worldbuilding.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
He's involved.

marvel.fandom.com

Five (Earth-616)

Following the foundation of the mutant state of Krakoa, Charles Xavier established a group of mutants known as “the Five” (Tempus, Proteus, Hope Summers, Elixir, and Egg) with the goal of resurrecting all mutants that had died before their time. 56 appearance(s) of Five (Earth-616) 3 minor...
Elixir is one of the five mutants involved with Resurrection, yeah.

That makes sense. He's pretty useful as his own contingency too since he'll just automatically resurrect himself whenever he's killed.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Powers of X established that the technark fall under the phalanx in a species hierarchy. There's no way to know exactly what that little meeting Cyke walked in on was about unless Hickman decides to double back to it, but if Warlock is "phoning home" so to speak and the X-Men leadership don't know about it, that's a massive threat that could just pop up at any moment.

Or worse; Warlock is involved in the long-term plans of Krakoa.

If the meeting is a indicator of odds being stacked against Krakoa this also lends credit to the idea that Doug might be the sleeper agent Sinister was referring to in PoX, I think.