• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, now. The problem is when MUA3 was in development, which would lower the F4's chances at the base roster. Granted, there's always DLC, but still.
This is a nonsense argument. X-Men and F4 rights reverted at the same time. Moreover, they knew the rights would be coming back to them well over a year in advance. There's a ton of X-Men characters and content in the game, therefore the same could be true of F4 no problem.

It doesn't mean there's F4 content in the game, but if there isn't it is because it was a choice they made and not some active policy or rights issue.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nonsense argument. X-Men and F4 rights reverted at the same time. Moreover, they knew the rights would be coming back to them well over a year in advance. There's a ton of X-Men characters and content in the game, therefore the same could be true of F4 no problem.

It doesn't mean there's F4 content in the game, but if there isn't it is because it was a choice they made and not some active policy or rights issue.
I mean X/FF isn't even a legal rights issue. It's just a petty issue. :l

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

They weren't tied to rights and the F4 ban was apparently far more strict. The X-Men weren't removed from Marvel Heroes and mobile games that have had X-Men in them for a while are only just now getting F4 stuff.

May 9, 2019
After this reveal the current playable roster is:
  1. Ant-Man/Giant-Man
  2. Beast
  3. Black Panther
  4. Black Widow
  5. Captain America
  6. Captain Marvel
  7. Crystal
  8. Daredevil
  9. Deadpool*
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Drax
  12. Elektra
  13. Falcon
  14. Gamora
  15. Groot and Rocket
  16. Hawkeye
  17. Hulk
  18. Iron Fist
  19. Iron Man
  20. Magneto
  21. Ms. Marvel
  22. Nightcrawler
  23. Psylocke
  24. Scarlet Witch*
  25. Spider-Gwen
  26. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  27. Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
  28. Star-Lord
  29. Storm*
  30. Thor
  31. Venom
  32. Vision
  33. Wasp
  34. Wolverine*

* = Previously known X-Men characters
BOLD = Newly added X-Men characters

We still don't have Fantastic Four and a handful of others that have yet to be revealed (like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blade, Punisher).
Imagine if Capcom just made a Marvel only vs game with this roster.

Is Beast even playable? He could be like Lockjaw and show up for a gimmick in the game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Imagine if Capcom just made a Marvel only vs game with this roster.

Is Beast even playable? He could be like Lockjaw and show up for a gimmick in the game.
He's in the lead up to a fight scene in an action stance. He's most likely playable. Just like Nick Fury, Cyclops and Colossus are late game unlockables

Also you mean a new marvel superheroes

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I only see Marvel Heroes referred to in regards to the F4 ban, and I'd like to note that it happened in July 2017, 2 months before the release of MvC:I and 4 months before MH's shutdown.

The point of the Fox ban was to punish Fox by continually exerting pressure on them. Escalating harder on the F4 makes sense as a way of "cranking it up" since they're the lesser property of the two. However, if the Marvel/Fox relationship was mended enough for X-Men characters to show up for UA3, then why would it not be the same for the F4?

At this point, I'm seeing three possible explanations for what's going on:
  • There is some other reason that caused an F4 ban to extend past the initial Fox ban.
  • The UA3 roster was determined before the Fox ban actually lifted, and for whatever reason (appeal by KT, leniency by Marvel Games, etc.) the X-Men were still allowed through despite that.
  • There is no F4 ban, and everyone's panicking too quickly.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I only see Marvel Heroes referred to in regards to the F4 ban, and I'd like to note that it happened in July 2017, 2 months before the release of MvC:I and 4 months before MH's shutdown.

The point of the Fox ban was to punish Fox by continually exerting pressure on them. Escalating harder on the F4 makes sense as a way of "cranking it up" since they're the lesser property of the two. However, if the Marvel/Fox relationship was mended enough for X-Men characters to show up for UA3, then why would it not be the same for the F4?

At this point, I'm seeing three possible explanations for what's going on:
  • There is some other reason that caused an F4 ban to extend past the initial Fox ban.
  • The UA3 roster was determined before the Fox ban actually lifted, and for whatever reason (appeal by KT, leniency by Marvel Games, etc.) the X-Men were still allowed through despite that.
  • There is no F4 ban, and everyone's panicking too quickly.
I'm guilty of option 3 lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think they waited since Fantastic Four and Doom are a group reveal and they didn't want to put one on the cover without revealing the whole groups so they could keep it a major surprise for e3 . Remember the game was only revealed 5 months ago

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Ant-Man/Giant-Man
  2. Beast
  3. Black Panther
  4. Black Widow
  5. Captain America
  6. Captain Marvel
  7. Crystal
  8. Daredevil
  9. Deadpool*
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Drax
  12. Elektra
  13. Falcon
  14. Gamora
  15. Groot and Rocket
  16. Hawkeye
  17. Hulk
  18. Iron Fist
  19. Iron Man
  20. Magneto
  21. Ms. Marvel
  22. Nightcrawler
  23. Psylocke
  24. Scarlet Witch*
  25. Spider-Gwen
  28. Star-Lord
  29. Storm*
  30. Thor
  31. Venom
  32. Vision
  33. Wasp
  34. Wolverine*

We still don't have Fantastic Four and a handful of others that have yet to be revealed (like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blade, Punisher).

That is such an awesome roster !

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my guess on why Colossus and Cyclops aren't present yet: They have been kidnapped, and later we will have to rescue them on another stage.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
  1. Ant-Man/Giant-Man
  2. Beast
  3. Black Panther
  4. Black Widow
  5. Captain America
  6. Captain Marvel
  7. Crystal
  8. Daredevil
  9. Deadpool*
  10. Doctor Strange
  11. Drax
  12. Elektra
  13. Falcon
  14. Gamora
  15. Groot and Rocket
  16. Hawkeye
  17. Hulk
  18. Iron Fist
  19. Iron Man
  20. Magneto
  21. Ms. Marvel
  22. Nightcrawler
  23. Psylocke
  24. Scarlet Witch*
  25. Spider-Gwen
  28. Star-Lord
  29. Storm*
  30. Thor
  31. Venom
  32. Vision
  33. Wasp
  34. Wolverine*

There needs to be a few obscure picks

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Really sucks that Namor is owned by Universal and can't be in this game. Also sucks that Universal hasn't done a goddamn thing with the character since acquiring him.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Really sucks that Namor is owned by Universal and can't be in this game. Also sucks that Universal hasn't done a goddamn thing with the character since acquiring him.
Yeah Marvel has always had full game rights and he pops up every once in a while like in the original Marvel Ultimate Alliance (he was playable in the gba version) note Universal bought the movie rights in 2001 so its obvious there's no rights issues. It is possible he got lumped into the FF/X-men ban by association though

Still find it crazy

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
After Infinity War and Endgame, I don't think my thirst for a Marvel team up game could be higher. The fact that the roster is already so stacked with the most confirmed playable characters, with a bunch of X-Men (big fan of X-Men Legends back in the day), nods to the MCU, great choices of characters as well as great costume choices so far, and no mobile f2p unlocking bullshit that wore me out from trying to get into the mobile games for the same fix, this already is looking to scratch my itch for a Marvel game in a way few games could. Add to that that there is still the possibility for more costumes/alternate characters, more of the storymode unlockable roster to be revealed, more playable boss characters, and potential for DLC and this game is shaping up to be a must have for me. Then given Nintendo is publishing this, maybe even the possibility of secret Nintendo character unlocks?

It's kind of crazy how this just seemed like a weird exclusive for Nintendo to pick up that might fill a gap in their release schedule, but now it's looking like a pretty desirable pick up.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
I hope they keep some characters secret to be unlocked within the game. I just can't imagine them leaving out the F4 when all these other teams are in it. Unless they are holding those for a DLC. I would hope if there is DLC to this game there is actual story missions behind them but that is probably being too hopeful.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now yes, but we don't know when development for this game started and the FF ban ended.

The FF "ban" ended when the X-Men did. The only reason they could be left out is a design choice. They may be there.

I mean X/FF isn't even a legal rights issue. It's just a petty issue. :l

Exactly, and as much as it was petty it was never a ban. It was just a yes no question. It was "yes" here and there constantly for toys and cards and games.

The internet made it way too dramatic because video games were specifically a flat out no. Fox couldn't even make money off the stuff, but marvel didn't want games to boost fox merchandising.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I hope they keep some characters secret to be unlocked within the game. I just can't imagine them leaving out the F4 when all these other teams are in it. Unless they are holding those for a DLC. I would hope if there is DLC to this game there is actual story missions behind them but that is probably being too hopeful.
Considering almost every character revealed so far is unlocked through story progression and Infinity Trials are confirmed to have unlockable characters and Costumes I would bet on some of those being hidden bonus characters that don't play into the main story... or bosses or both

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing working against Fantastic 4 for me is that they didn't tease at least ONE of them in the reveal or promo material thus far.

Avengers, X-Men, Defenders, Guardians, Spider-Verse, Inhumans, hell, even one of the Midnight Sons got characters shown off in the first media blitz. They're all on the cover too.

If F4 was that important, I think we would have seen them on the cover, even if it's just one. They wouldn't have to give a coy answer (and experience tells me that coy answers are a no when it comes to inclusion in Marvel games).

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a loooooooong time since I've played the Ultimate Alliance games so sorry if this is a dumb question, but why does Fury in this game look so much different than the Fury from the last one in the same canon? Is it like in the comics where this is his son?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's been a loooooooong time since I've played the Ultimate Alliance games so sorry if this is a dumb question, but why does Fury in this game look so much different than the Fury from the last one in the same canon? Is it like in the comics where this is his son?

Maybe it's an LMD.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It's a complete reboot that ignores the previous games. As such, Nightcrawler is alive and Fury is based on his movie version.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The main thing working against Fantastic 4 for me is that they didn't tease at least ONE of them in the reveal or promo material thus far.

Avengers, X-Men, Defenders, Guardians, Spider-Verse, Inhumans, hell, even one of the Midnight Sons got characters shown off in the first media blitz. They're all on the cover too.

If F4 was that important, I think we would have seen them on the cover, even if it's just one. They wouldn't have to give a coy answer (and experience tells me that coy answers are a no when it comes to inclusion in Marvel games).
Well technically defenders and web warriors didn't show up till trailer two for Iron Fist and Venom and then spidergwen and miles on the cover. They've been generally revealing teams one by one. Thing is the moment you reveal one Fantastic Four member it means you're getting all of em and Doom. By keeping them secret you get a bigger impact when you reveal them all at the same time

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Well technically defenders and web warriors didn't show up till trailer two for Iron Fist and Venom and then spidergwen and miles on the cover. They've been generally revealing teams one by one. Thing is the moment you reveal one Fantastic Four member it means you're getting all of em and Doom. By keeping them secret you get a bigger impact when you reveal them all at the same time

Yeah, exactly. Hell, Doom may be one thing that can sometimes be marketed all by himself (and often is), but the First Family is definitely a set.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but:

A pretty reasonable take. The game doesn't look eye-blastingly amazing, but it blows MvCI out of the water and the X-Men characters all look pretty good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Shrug artstyle is solid to me and any more detail than this would be a waste for the type of game this is and start effecting performance.... also I love bushy brows Magneto