• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It was already a new reality after DoFP, after they stopped her from killing Trask. X1 to X3 was the reality where she killed Trask. Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix is where she doesn't and X-men become celebrated.

Nope. They had a different Trask in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Don't try and make these films make sense. They really don't. Mystique and Charles are not former friends in the original films, no matter how hard they hit the retcon stock.

It was Foreshadowing, not actually being a Phoenix

She literally bursts into flame, has the Phoenix appear behind her, and destroys Apocalypse in the same way she destroys everything in this film. She was absolutely the Phoenix in that moment, and the fact it's not mentioned here is fucking woeful.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
So did anyone figure why the Phoenix is in the sky at the end?
Presumably she's still alive in spirit as the solar flare phoenix thing.

That moment by the way made me laugh. What a wet fart of an ending shot. A tiny little blip on the screen for a moment. Compared to the epic X2 ending with Jean's narration, the amazing score and the phoenix rising out of the water. What a sad last shot for these films.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Now that we know that Jean died at the end of this film, who's funeral was depicted on the comic in Logan?
logan-xmen-comics-5.jpg

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just watched it and I'll be in the minority here to say I liked it. It felt like a nice conclusion to these characters. Sure, most of the scenes with Jean in it weren't great, but there were some great moments here and there. It's nice to see the X-Men in good public standing. And of course, the train scene at the end was great. Nightcrawler was the best. It was nice to see everyone fighting together. And Jean didn't blow up with Xavier this time. No more fighting. Good ending achieved.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched it and I'll be in the minority here to say I liked it. It felt like a nice conclusion to these characters. Sure, most of the scenes with Jean in it weren't great, but there were some great moments here and there. It's nice to see the X-Men in good public standing. And of course, the train scene at the end was great. Nightcrawler was the best. It was nice to see everyone fighting together. And Jean didn't blow up with Xavier this time. No more fighting. Good ending achieved.
same feeling tbh

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Im surprised. I liked the movie. Certainly much better than Apocalypse. Have no clue how some are saying is worse than Last Stand...

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Movie was shit but i loved it. Jean making Charles walk to her was FUCKED UP. The people in my theater were shook lol.

Hans Zimmer's song Gap is probably my favorite thing about the movie. It's just stuck with me now. Such an awesome theme.

This so much, it was in my head while i was at work. Shame it was wasted on this last movie. Song as good as Gap deserves to be a theme that's used for multiple movies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So it's sort of better than Apocalypse but mostly because the intro rescue scene is solid.

It reminded me a lot of Batman v Superman really... a pretty great intro action sequence followed by a descent into abject madness and nonsense.

McAvoy and Fassbender feel like they're in an entirely different movie than everyone else.

Really weird that they blantantly reference Magneto's expansion of power from Apocalypse but completely ignore that Jean went Phoenix as the finale of that film.

A pretty dumb movie, with some decent displays of mutant power

Also lol that Chastain was a not Skrull Skrull

It might have actually been better of she was just a psychic manifestation of the Phoenix Force inside Jean's head as was once rumored

And Dazzler... yay Dazzler

Oh and it had the best musical score since First Class. Zimmer felt like he was scoring an actually good film

So did anyone figure why the Phoenix is in the sky at the end?

Because it's the last movie and it needs to be clear Jean is still alive because she's still alive in the post DoFP retconned timeline.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

My gf and I saw it yesterday and we both liked it. I don't get the opprobrium this film got in some parts of the internet. The story was personal, the acting was good, the fight scenes felt grounded and impactful in a way I don't get in Marvel films outside of Winter Soldier (and I say that as someone who enjoys most Marvel films he sees), and the motivations made sense.

It's not an amazing film, but it seemed like a film everyone anticipated would be awful, and that perhaps some people were unwilling to actually reassess. It was leagues better than Apocalypse and Last Stand, and I enjoyed it about as much as the other mainline XMen films overall.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I see why they changed the ending.
The ending is almost a play by play Captain Marvel.

Right down to Ohh now she can control her powers.
Ohh now her hair looks like its on fire.
Ohh now shes off into space to fight the Aliens
In space she fucks them up.

houston-sharp-darkpheonix-blastoff-houstonsharp.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Well for a film called Dark Phoenix there wasn't a whole lot of Phoenix in it, Dark or otherwise.
Even if Disney hadn't bought Fox, I think this would have killed off the mainline X-Men films, just a mostly nothing film. I can't believe they had the same joker do this again. It feels like a completed Beta test for The Last Stand. The first half of the film is a nearly 1:1 repeat of Last Stand, but with a bit more cosmic stuff added and the crowded cure plot removed.

Open with flashback to Jean as a child, Phoenix appears in the present day, Jean is examined and off the charts, Xavier reveals he put mental blocks in her that she's broken, Jean flees to her childhood home, kills one of the team, then goes to Magneto, funeral for the dead team member, Storm does nothing.
Which film am I talking about?

It diverges from there, but I can't say it's much of an improvement. The villains are totally nothing and as far as being "Dark Phoenix", Jean barely even becomes Phoenix, never mind Dark. Other than killing Mystique, which is basically an accident (at least she deliberately killed Xavier in Last Stand), the closest she gets to being evil is...being mildly unpleasant briefly? I don't know why they marketed it as a Dark Phoenix Saga adaptation at all, at most it adapts some of the Phoenix Saga. It all feels tiny in scale and once again, ashamed of its comic roots, in spite of the additions from the original story like the space shuttle and actually having the Phoenix Force.

The score was good, I'll give it that, and the final action scene was well made. But it hits all the bad notes of Fox X-Men on the way out. Roll on MCU X-Men, needs a fresh set of eyes.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
there was a lot of dumb, forced "moments" like when Magneto tells Beast to go help fucking Storm... like, in what way can Beast "help" Storm while she's flying outside the train and has the entirety of the night's sky at her disposal? xD And then when Magneto levitates all the guns and has them shooting at Jessica Chastain's character... why? You are on a train, filled with stuff you can control. Earlier that night they literally have Magneto pull a subway train up through the ground (another forced moment...) just because, but this is too much ehhh?

and once again: Storm is downplayed to the point of ridiculousness. She is an insanely popular character, that FOX had no idea what to do with her. Ever. If Marvel-Disney portrays her right, she could become one of the most popular MCU characters yet.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate it. I don't think its 23% bad. But I don't think its great either. The ending left a lot to be desired, so did the bad guy.

Kinda felt like some of the X-Men like Storm were just there. Didn't like what they did to Raven or Quicksilver. Also, where was Psylocke? And why can Beast now change back and forth? Lots of people just felt "there".

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie should be a 0 considering it's supposed to be a sequel to Apocalypse, where Jean clearly uses the Phoenix force to defeat Apocalypse.
And they completely glosses over this to show she acquires it in space? Fuck off!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I surprisingly enjoyed this movie and would even say it had some legitimately great scenes, like with Nightcrawler in the train when that dude died in his arms. It resulted in this shot right here:

e53b511da0297caeb3e94abc517c7023.jpg

After the huge disappointment with Apocalypse, I was surprised to have not hated this. The action scenes were grounded and choreographed well.