• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings on The Dark Knight, especially on rewatch.

This was something else that bugged me about DoFP.

Quicksilver was absent since he wasn't originally in the script. They only had him because MCU was going to bring the twins into Avengers Age of Ultron. Originally it was supposed to be Juggernaut who breaks Magneto out.

They probably didn't want to change the rest of the plot so Quicksilver has to exit the film.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While he had some great scenes quicksilver breaks the movie

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
X2 is the only Singer Xmen movie I even remotely like. I thought Vaughn did a bang up job with First Class, and was disappointed to see the franchise given right back to Singer.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
My favourite Marvel movie of that year (2014). It kind of came from nowhere, got hyped for it and DOFP just blew me away (especially the ending).

In contrast I was over hyped for Winter Soldier (TFA being my fav MCU film with my fav Marvel character). ... saw it and felt extremely let down.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay. Nothing particularly special to me to be honest.

First Class is the movie that I really enjoyed more than I thought I would

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This I can agree with, it was much cleaner. Endgame's just felt like a copout.

Making up a time travel power that a character doesnt have until its convenient for the story isn't a copout?

Using an established interdimensional time travel method that was described in detail as having relevance to time travel, like 10 movies ago, is a copout?

Actually curious how you came to this conclusion. The time travel in DOFP is the definition of an undeveloped ass-pull.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It has its moments but overall it's just adequate-as someone else has said. The cast is good but putting Jennifer Lawrence front and center is just awful.

Watching this after First Class is a major come down.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the movie. Despite its heavy focus on Wolverine, I found the scenes with McAvoy and Fassbender to be the best - the scene in the plane was beautiful because it reinforced how they had both let each other down, but while Xavier drowned in his sorrows Erik did as Xavier once taught him and used that anger to save other mutants.

Plus McAvoy saying he doesn't want the older Xavier's pain or future was nuts. It's a shame they put it in the trailer because that was powerful, an older Xavier trying to show his younger self how to avoid the future he's in and the younger Xavier rejecting that because he doesn't believe in his own ideals any more.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't held up as well as I thought when I rewatched it recently.

It has some great moments, but then it has some bad stuff. Outside of the future scenes with the Sentinels, most of the action is pretty mediocre oike Beast going after Magneto when he attacks Mystique, or Magneto lifting a stadium to trap (?) the president (they love to have Magneto lift big things in these movies).

Worst of all (not really DOFP's fault) I hate that it never led to another modern day movie (Logan was more future than modern day and only had Wolverine and Xavier if I remember right) with the original cast even though it ended perfectly to set that up.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

aVjhEba.gif

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. The Quicksilver scene is a joy, and the rest is strong as well. Shocked at the decline from DoFP to Apocalypse.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are hating against Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique in this. I thought she did a great job then again I'm also a huge fan of both her and the character, plus I was tired of the focus of the X-Men movies being mostly Wolverine besides First Class (which is also one of the better X-Men movies).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Film was trashola. Intro was ok. To comic nerds, are the sentinels in this future storyline actually this godlike? I hate that certain high level mutants are defeated so easily in these films.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I found it a bit of a disappointment after First Class. First Class gave a real good look at the complexity of a Xavier/Magneto relationship. I just thought it got too simplified in the sequels.

Also, since the story involved time-jumping, it came across too scattershot for me.

Definitely much better than Apocalypse at least! And I liked Quicksilver's scenes.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
It's my favorite xmen movie. I love how it references the good and bad of the prior movies and embraces them. I hates xmen 3 but seeing beat and cyclops and the mix of past and present. Gut punch for me man.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I liked parts of it. Logan was awesome, Quicksilver was a nice little novelty, the future scenes were brutal.

The Mystique focus is weird, budget made Beast human again for most of it, and the entire climax sucks. The Sentinels suck, Magneto's nonsensical hacking of said Sentinels sucks, Mystique not killing the President falls flat, and I literally don't remember anything else, which really says it all.
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. Sentinels are supposed to be skyscraper sized robots, and that's what I wanted to see the X-Men fight in DoFP, not the cheap plastic toys that we got.

Future Sentinels were pretty cool, though. Damn ruthless.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The X-Men movies that failed, failed because they didn't focus on the X-Men as an actual team. Look at all the mainline X-Men movies that people generally hate (X3, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, sometimes First Class) and you'll see that those movies have a focus on one or two characters. X3 was Wolverine/Jean focused, Dark Phoenix was all about Jean, First Class was all about Magneto/Prof X, and Apocalypse was just all over the place.

Now, if you look at the other ones that did great, like DoFP, then you'll see there's more of a broad focus on mutants in general and their combined struggle. It's plainly just better writing.

Marvel has gotten this down to a science, so hopefully they can do a better job bringing the mutants to the big screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It's decent enough for what it is, but it presumes something approaching Infinity War/Endgame levels of audience investment in the previous Singerverse films. Which I guess is a good thing if you actually are that invested in X1, X2, and First Class, but I certainly wasn't.

I mainly think of DoFP as the movie that had the perfect setup to do a clean reboot of the Singerverse continuity (which was already past its prime in 2014), but which Fox squandered in favor of doing a half-assed quasi-reboot.

Last edited: