• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND

https://store.steampowered.com/app/392160/X4_Foundations/

Features:

Freedom to personally fly all ships:

X4 will allow you to fly all ships personally. From small scouts over a wide range of ship classes up to the biggest carrier, everything can be piloted from the cockpit or an external view.

A big focus in the development of X4 has been to achieve a seamless and immersive experience when moving between ships. You can leave a ship, climb down a ladder, walk over the dock of a large space station into another ship you may have parked there and replace the pilot that was working for you just by clicking on his chair.

Modular stations and ship upgrades:

Building space stations and factories has always been a foundation of the X games. After gaining enough money through fighting or trading, most players want to establish their own economy and start influencing the universe on a larger scale. In X4, it is now possible to be completely free and creative. Stations can be constructed from a variety of modules, be it production modules, living sections, docks or many other types of parts. The powerful new map system allows you to drag and connect modules using a connection system to design your own unique creations.

Ships also offer a variety of upgrades. Engines, weapons and other equipment can be added in a graphical editor and actually seen on the ship.

Most dynamic X universe ever:

X4 will be the first X game to allow our races and factions to freely build and expand their empires; the same flexibility the player enjoys in creatively designing space stations from modular building blocks is also available to them. Races expand their empire based on supply and demand, which leads to an extremely dynamic universe where every action the player makes can influence the course of the entire universe.

Managing your empire with a powerful map:

Once you have more ships and many NPCs working for you as pilots, crew or station managers, the map will be your preferred method of managing it all. Ships can be ordered with simple clicks and through drag-and-drop operations to set their future path and commands.

Graphically plan your trade routes, coordinate attacks with your entire fleet, manage the hierarchy or send ships on remote exploration missions.

Most detailed X economy ever:

One of the key selling points of X games has always been the realistic, simulated economy. Wares produced by hundreds of stations and transported by thousands of ships are actually traded by NPCs and prices develop based on this simulated economy. This is the foundation of our living and breathing universe. Now with X4, we have taken another, massive step. For the first time in any X game, all parts of the NPC economy are manufactured from resources. Ships, weapons, upgrades, ammo and even stations. You name it. Everything comes out of the simulated economy.

Research and Teleportation:

The seamless change from ship to ship and from NPCs controlling your empire for you continues on a higher level. Once you own a larger fleet, you will be very interested in researching a technology from your HQ: Teleportation. Once you've unlocked teleportation, you can jump from ship to ship a lot quicker and experience all the critical situations your NPCs encounter first hand.

Every order you have given to a ship before turns into a mission objective when you pilot the ship yourself. The moment you leave again, your pilot takes the helm and continues with their previous orders.

Get into the game:

In X4, you can start your journey from a number of different gamestarts and as a number of different characters, each with their own role, set of relationships and different ships and technologies to start with. No matter how you start, you are always free to develop in any other direction. Focus on exploration, make money with illegal trading and theft, command large battle fleets or become the greatest entrepreneur ever. It's all up to you to decide.

Some screenshots from their "Screenshot of the Day" thread

ss_c15cf533f1f66c5404236618f510e61f41158141.600x338.jpg

I am a big fan of the X series and been playing them since the first entry in 1999, X: Beyond the Frontier. They're niche space games since they've generally had a steep learning curve relative to other space games and games in general. Rebirth that was released a few years ago was a disappointment as most people wanted a sequel to X3: Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude in terms of game design, and not a game akin to the design of the first, since most fans found that the series had its best features and design in X3, so Rebirth taking you back to owning only a single ship, with limited fleet and corporate/organisation building mechanics was a big departure.

However with X4, it's a game that is seemingly the return of what made X3 great, and what most people find as the quintessential aspects of the X series.

It's really difficult to explain the game because it's kind of like trying to explain Dwarf Fortress or EVE Online. You can try reading the sections on wikipedia or my summary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3:_Terran_Conflict
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3:_Albion_Prelude

As a general summary of the series, they are games that allow you to play from a smaller scale of flying small single ships, to building factories producing goods for the economy, trading, to amassing large fleets that you are in command of. The games have its own empires and their relations, but also other threats like the Kh'aak and Xenon. The games have had more complex economies than most, meaning that factories in systems, and ones you own, only produce goods if they are supplied with intermediaries, if there is a shortage of the supply, the final products are short of supply as well (products include things like ship equipment), whether that is the result of pirates blowing up trading NPCs on a path to a factory, or intermediary factories being destroyed, etc - this allows the game to have a more realistic supply-demand system, although it wasn't perfect, they've said that X4 has vastly improved on the economy.

The game has many ship classes from small fighters, military transport vessels (for marines, useful for commandeering or attack capitals), trading/freight ships, to long-range missile ships, anti-missile ships, to massive capital ships. In X3 there were hundreds of ships you could fly/own personally or in your fleet(s). How you play is up to you, if you build a corporate empire, you'd need to defend your assets across space, so it means you need to fund a fleet that you'd have patrolling sectors with your assets in, as well as building our own factories to produce the equipment to outfit your fleet - it would not be good if there's a shortage of capital weapons in the market and you've lost 2-3 of your capital ships. As such, the X games tend to play out like strategy games but in a different perspective. In the end they're sandboxes, I'd say that there is no other space game to compare it to, the closest is if EVE Online were a singleplayer game. There are also tons of mods for these games, very big ones like Litcube's Universe which are basically new games.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Sooo hyped.

Let us forget the stain of X:Rebirth and plunge into a new Adventure.

I hope you can Teleport between ships and Stations. "seamless transition between boarding your ship from the station, to fly to your carrier, land on it and got into your carrier" sounds cool for immersion the first dozen times. When I am planning a space empire, I don't need that shit, though.

Edit: Ok it is in one of the examples, my bad.

The seamless change from ship to ship and from NPCs controlling your empire for you continues on a higher level. Once you own a larger fleet, you will be very interested in researching a technology from your HQ: Teleportation. Once you've unlocked teleportation, you can jump from ship to ship a lot quicker and experience all the critical situations your NPCs encounter first hand.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they fixed the horrendous UI of Rebirth and sound issues, as well as the very poor character models and sound implementation when walking around in 1st person. The game had many issues but those were the ones that really drew me out of the experience. I'm curious to try this but not too excited to avoid being let down.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. I'll be honest my experience with the X series started with X-Rebirth and honestly I had fun with it. This was only in the last year though so it's been patched, mods released, etc. I haven't gone back to try the X3 series because of time and how it looks. So with X4 seemingly being a blend of the two I'm hoping it turns out well.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Looking forward to this. I'll be honest my experience with the X series started with X-Rebirth and honestly I had fun with it. This was only in the last year though so it's been patched, mods released, etc. I haven't gone back to try the X3 series because of time and how it looks. So with X4 seemingly being a blend of the two I'm hoping it turns out well.

There isn't a blend. The narrator even excluded X:Rebirth when he talked about the history of the series.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't a blend. The narrator even excluded X:Rebirth when he talked about the history of the series.
I was referring to the development Q&As videos/streams they've had. When they've talked about the game they talked about the things from Rebirth they were keeping, trying to do better, why certain things were done while going back to what was done in X3 as well. Thus a mix but even that mix could be less Rebirth and more X3. Even with my limited experience I get why they did certain things in Rebirth. Execution is always the thing that goes wrong but doesn't mean the idea was wrong or bad. Since Rebirth is hated I'm not at all surprised they don't mention it in the main advertising for the game now that it has a release date.

However they did mention X-Rebirth in the video though. We're talking about the 7 minute video right. It gets name dropped 50 seconds in. It's alluded to before that when he say X3: Reunion and beyond (that includes Rebirth) in regard that people don't need to have previous experience with the past games.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
However they did mention X-Rebirth in the video though. We're talking about the 7 minute video right. It gets name dropped 50 seconds in. It's alluded to before that when he say X3: Reunion and beyond (that includes Rebirth) in regard that people don't need to have previous experience with the past games.

But it was a negative counter-point.
The Narrator talks about the rich history from xbtf to reuinion and beyond (most possible meaning Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude, and not naming the last entry of the franchise here, that is canonically in the same universe)
Rebirth gets dropped with the "unlike in Rebirth, you can board all ships."

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Tentatively excited. Got burned pretty bad by X: Rebirth so I'm going to wait on this one. But I really hope it's a return to form as it appears to be.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, rebirth was a bummer (understatement of the century.)

I possibly sunk 2.000 hours into XBTF, X2, X3 (+TC and AP) And the full conversion mods Litcubes universe and Mayhem.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Omg hype I can not wait! This is going to need me a new rig building, very high minimum requirements on steam. I absolutely loved the old games (not Rebirth), this looks like a dream come true!

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Oof. Spent so many hours on X3 back in the day. Not sure I have it in me anymore as an adult.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The X4 News reminded me of Aurora 4X

maxresdefault.jpg

and I checked if there was a new version since last year.
But alas, no new Version and the C# conversion is still not ready for public.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
My Jank Impact Neutralizers have been fully upgraded, I'm ready for more X.

Edit: Also, this is my fucking dream-game shit right here, I cannot wait:

Research and Teleportation:

Every order you have given to a ship before turns into a mission objective when you pilot the ship yourself. The moment you leave again, your pilot takes the helm and continues with their previous orders.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait, I was losing hope about a 2018 release. Let's see if they'll do a CE like the one they did with Rebirth
Also....EVA Suit is back? Holy moly

Last edited:

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Just saw the trailer. Looks nice!

Will be anxious to hear impressions once it releases. My biggest concern is more around the general quality of the initial release than it is about gameplay.

Dec 5, 2017
I'm hopeful I guess. Probably won't preorder after the disaster that was Rebirth but if we get a proper sequel to X3 TC/AP I'll sink so many hours into it.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Rebirth but I loved the older X games so I'm looking forward to this.

Bit sad Boron wasn't one of the races mentioned as being in at the start. I always liked how their ships looked.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I think they really whiffed on the marketing. The game is due out in 20 days and all we got are staged screenshots?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I think they really whiffed on the marketing. The game is due out in 20 days and all we got are staged screenshots?
Lack of videos has been a thing for a long time. I don't know why they don't release more unless there is an issue with the game. It's this reason I haven't bother to put any money on the game. I need to see uncut gameplay of this even though I like what I see. I need to see what a real play session is like and we've yet to see that and it worries me.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of videos has been a thing for a long time. I don't know why they don't release more unless there is an issue with the game. It's this reason I haven't bother to put any money on the game. I need to see uncut gameplay of this even though I like what I see. I need to see what a real play session is like and we've yet to see that and it worries me.
Yeah i could understand being gun shy after Rebirth. But damn they quieter then some studios are when they just start work on a new game.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Been watching CohhCarnage stream it on Twitch. He's gonna be streaming it tomorrow as well. It looks super fun and immersive. Never played an X game before, but I'm thinking about getting it. My system might be too old though.. i5 2500k, radeon hd 7970, 16gb ram.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Holyshit this is out tomorrow? Talk about flying under the radar. I really want this to be good, but Rebirth probably burned me more than any other game, so I'm gonna hold off for a while most likely still unless it gets some really stellar reviews and impressions.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Been watching CohhCarnage stream it on Twitch. He's gonna be streaming it tomorrow as well. It looks super fun and immersive. Never played an X game before, but I'm thinking about getting it. My system might be too old though.. i5 2500k, radeon hd 7970, 16gb ram.

Oh thanks.

Wawtching now and it seems... smooth? Good?

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Oh thanks.

Wawtching now and it seems... smooth? Good?

From what I can see, yeah. I don't have any point of reference to compare it against though, but from my outsider's perspective, it looks pretty fun. Cohh seems like he's enjoying it too, and he mentioned how he is a huge fan of the X series and has dumped hundreds of hours into the series before this one.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching some of ObsidanAnt's streams and I do like what I see. It might be risking things but I'm very likely going to buy it tomorrow.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A great shame that none of the X games ever graced home consoles and the trend will continue. I don't have PC powerful enough (I think) to decently run this game.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I might not even sure how my system will run this. I look a closer look at the system requirements and I might CPU (FX-8320) might be below the min. Not sure if those changed or not in the recent weeks. I thought I was in the clear. Guess I could just try it out and refund if I can't run it. I really do not want to do an upgrade at the moment and not for one game. My system is at the point that an CPU upgrade means a new motherboard, new set of RAM, a new cpu cooler. I'm starting at $400 at a minimum. Ugh. Guess I'll see how this goes tomorrow.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched a bit of the stream from Obsidianant yesterday and I really liked what I saw. Can't wait to dive into the game

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I put one together in the little time I had last night, when should I put it up? Never made an OT for a game before. I can put it up now if it's OK.

Do it now.
So how is this compared to star citizen? Can you land on planets?

Way less in scope, but no game really have the same scope as SC.

You can do:

• Walk around stations
  • Build your own empire
  • Control fleets of ships from small fighters to capital ships (you can fly all ships)
  • Have NPC:s crew your ship
  • Bord other ships
  • Be a pirate
  • Build massive space stations to control your domain
And more...

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I love the lore and story behind the X Games, the encyclopedia that came with the X Superbox is a great read (if you can get past the awful formatting and typos) but I could never quite get to grip with the learning curve.
I have all the games on Steam and should really give them another go sometime.