• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Steelyuhas

Good to see. The Xbox app wasnt great to use for PC gaming. And never really good many updates to improve it also.
The new desktop experience can refer to the "Garrision" app/launcher Brad Sams referred to.

dHg4d0w.jpg

CxV7CJ5.jpg

Dec 11, 2017
India
Why is this important?
What can we perceive from this information?
What good will it do in the coming months?

Really clueless about Xbox. If anyone can answer these, I'd be extremely grateful!

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Why is this important?

Really clueless about Xbox. If anyone can answer these, I'd be extremely grateful!
So far we know that you'll probably be able to download games through it.

We won't know what they plan to do until E3.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
This totally makes sense. I'm looking forward to their client although I'm okay with the games being on Steam now.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Ah. Sorry for not getting it xD. So basically, we know nothing.
Some clues have forced the gamers to think that Microsoft is working pretty hard to bring gaming on Windows. You might not have noticed that Windows 10 19H1 preview builds directly download the State of Decay Game from XboxLive servers rather than Microsoft Store server.

Therefore, it is evident that your Windows 10 PCs will soon get Xbox features. In future, we can expect that the gap between PC and the Xbox platform will be reduced.

Microsoft Store will be offering its games for both platforms i.e PC and Xbox.

It is also expected that the current Xbox gaming infrastructure will be used to rebuilt Windows Store for PC.

Here you are my good sir.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This better be the console UI or I'm going to be disappointed. And it better be user adjustable so I can launch my other PC games, fan games, and emulators through it too.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yep, further leading us down the rumor of getting xbox games on W10. Looking forward to it.

Nov 1, 2017
The Xbox app on both PC and phone is in desperate need of an overhaul and hopefully this is it. Something as simple as sending a message to another person is an exercise in tedium and frustration and that's only if it works in the first place which, spoiler alert: It usually doesn't. It kind of boggles my mind that the otherwise slick Microsoft apps for all the services they provide have this one weird outlier that is borderline unusable.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The Xbox app on both PC and phone is in desperate need of an overhaul and hopefully this is it. Something as simple as sending a message to another person is an exercise in tedium and frustration and that's only if it works in the first place which, spoiler alert: It usually doesn't. It kind of boggles my mind that the otherwise slick Microsoft apps for all the services they provide have this one weird outlier that is borderline unusable.

I'm pretty sure it's all but confirmed that an overhaul of the app with better functionality (not needing to touch the horrendous ms store to dl/purchase games etc) was coming in alongside the PC gamepass officially coming out.

I'm very excited. Dream scenario is being able to dl 360 classics through the app. Honestly it wouldn't even surprise me at this point considering how amazing Xbox have been the last few years, but from a technical perspective I'm not sure how it would be possible.

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox Smartglass sucked
The Xbox App sucked

I guess they recently deleted all group messages so that it can be replaced with.. something less shitty.

We'll see if this is it. I'm not blown away with the new overlay. Overlays only really make sense if you have a single monitor IMO.

Yeah, literally all they have to do is have messaging actually work and have it refresh your friends list every once in a while. I leave it up to see if people come online, but it does nothing until you click on the app, at which point it has a heart attack and will either display a somewhat accurate friends list after a long struggle, or crap out with an error message.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the new Game Bar, much faster than the app, that thing is sloooowww. Also the app doesn't remember my damn timeline filters, annoying. And stop sending me friend suggestions. I really only use the app for just the remote control function these days.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine why I would use this app even if I've had an Xbox. Messaging maybe? Nah, probably not.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really buy movies and don't have a collection of physical media (though once I get a NAS up and running this may change, until it's all ripped to the HDDs anyway)

Haven't bought a CD in probably 10 years

It's helpful if you're into retro emulation at least and you want to rip your own games.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Don't really buy movies and don't have a collection of physical media (though once I get a NAS up and running this may change, until it's all ripped to the HDDs anyway)

Haven't bought a CD in probably 10 years
Dont worry they arent clueless to care to include bluray/dvd options when 10 people in the entire world uses

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds even worse that xbox app, congrats I guess? Pardon "my sarcasm" lol

Yep, further leading us down the rumor of getting xbox games on W10. Looking forward to it.

360 games would be amazing, personally no interest in current gen's output that's not already available on PC.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I finally uninstall the Xbox app on Windows 10?
Only if you install Xbox companion! :P

Ok, hopefully this new desktop experience will be good.
Honestly I'm not sure what's the"point" of these but I used it a couple of times to record gameplay when Shadowplay was bugging out and the results were pretty good - my only gripe is it doesn't record at 1440p and has issues with full-screen (which seems to be a Windows malady)

But once I figured out the rather awkward controls it's been working ok.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine why I would use this app even if I've had an Xbox. Messaging maybe? Nah, probably not.

You're probably not supposed to. This seems like it's just there to get discontinued in a couple of years when the new Windows gaming stuff has feature parity. I mean, you have your friends list directly in the Game Bar now.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As long as the new app doesnt crash 50% of the time while im browsing posts in LFG im solid

maybe the new game bar is already decent for that, but the iteration of it before this one (with the gray ui) was so slow to come up when i was actually in a game i got used to the keyboard commands for clips/screenshots and never think to use it

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably not supposed to. This seems like it's just there to get discontinued in a couple of years when the new Windows gaming stuff has feature parity. I mean, you have your friends list directly in the Game Bar now.
I'm just puzzled by the fact that MS seems to think that forcing Xbox social features on PC gamers is a good idea.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Why is this important?

Me is testing bringing the virtualized Xbox systems to PC allowing it to run Xbox games without any code changes. There's also the rumor of being able to manage gamepass games across multiple stores. And finally the app says it mimics Xbox features and settings so it might be the full Xbox os ported to PC, like a big picture mode.

Many possibilities and exciting news from Ms coming to PC, dunno if they will able to deliver all but they seems to be working towards many big changes