• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike previous rumors, this is the first concrete info we have on the timeline for the new console.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-plans-announce-next-xbox-next-year

While discussing the Xbox One's struggle to maintain traction in Korea, Xbox Business Lead for Asia, Jeremy Hinton, has reportedly expanded on Microsoft's next-generation console hardware. Speaking with major Korean gaming outlet, GameMeca, Hinton claims engineers are aiming to announce the console "next year." Below we have a translated excerpt from the article, provided to Windows Central by a professional translator.

"Lastly, Hinton made an announcement in regards to the surprise news about the next Xbox which was announced on the 10th during the Xbox showcase. Many engineers are working hard to announce the new console by next year and doing their best to announce it as soon as possible. However, he said if there is no awareness of crisis or clear policy to improve the Xbox market in the country, it should not be forgotten that releasing the new console could be an obstacle to success."

More at the link!

UPDATE: MS is walking it back:
Microsoft US has reached out to say that Jeremy Hinton's comments were misrepresented and that Microsoft isn't yet officially announcing any timeframe for the next Xbox.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of feel bad for people who spent $499 ($599 here in Canada) for a One X when next-gen is already being talked about. Thing's only seven months old.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get why they're even teasing it at all now, I can't see how that actually helps people decide to buy the hardware they just launched a half year ago

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
We getting ready for next-gen then. :)

I want 2020 though

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It only makes too much sense. Sony didnt do much with new games. Focused on the big 4 for ps4. CDPR is waiting on next gen consoles with Cyberpunk. Bethesda is waiting on next gen consoles for Elder Scrolls VI, maybe starfield. Todd even referenced that the tech was close but not here yet.

Next E3 i expect PS5/New Xbox announcement.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of feel bad for people who spent $499 ($599 here in Canada) for a One X when next-gen is already being talked about. Thing's only seven months old.
People pay hundreds for a new smartphone every year. Same with cars, TVs, etc. That's the price to pay for keeping up to date with technology.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way too early. Why hype up a new console already? It won't help the already lacking sales of the current one.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Well definitely not planning to get an XB1X or another PS4Pro(the KH one though...) now.

Will be interesting what both of them bring to their newest consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Can't imagine Phil is too happy about this lol.

Regardless I wonder what this will mean for something like Gears 5 which is coming in the latter half of 2019. I wonder if they'll focus strictly on the X or if they'll also show/tease what the new console is capable of as well.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I thought they would try the same thing they did with the Pro. The X seems to have a bit of short life span then.
I really don't get why they're even teasing it at all now, I can't see how that actually helps people decide to buy the hardware they just launched a half year ago
Because this's coming from their Asian branch. I doubt the top people in the US are happy with this.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
It only makes too much sense. Sony didnt do much with new games. Focused on the big 4 for ps4. CDPR is waiting on next gen consoles with Cyberpunk. Bethesda is waiting on next gen consoles for Elder Scrolls VI, maybe starfield. Todd even referenced that the tech was close but not here yet.

Next E3 i expect PS5/New Xbox announcement.

Wouldn't it better for them to announce it early 2020?

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These guys are releasing new consoles every year nowadays. I feel like consoles will soon be like phones, new hardware iterations every year or so

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they'd do that so soon with the X around. The next thing needs to be another huge upgrade over that and it already costs a lot.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
MS clearly wants this generation to be over as soon as they possibly can. I doubt they care about XBX owners who bought the console this year.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Xbox Business Lead for Asia, Jeremy Hinton.....that is one why to announce your new console.....

Oh by the way, there is a urgent call from Phil Spencer on line 1....

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't we all basically expecting a 2019 announcement of a 2020 console?

Yeah, I'm expecting both Sony and MS to have a new release by the end of 2020. This news isn't surprising considering the talk from Sony and, more recently, from MS in the E3 presentation. There's only one AAA development cycle left afterall.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Even though this is the expected lifespan of a console, I still feel like I got my PS4 a few months ago.

getting old sux.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Hrm. 2019 seems so close. X just released. I can understand a 2019 reveal and 2020 release though.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Feels way too early for me. I guess maybe I'm getting old and hate how quickly tech is moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.