• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
regulation to prevent companies from being able to do this kind of shitty stuff, not on just asking them not to

Absolutely - I only meant "ask" in the colloquial sense. Digital distribution is long past needing better regulation and this is a prime example why.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I just reinstalled my Doom 3 BFG physical disc on Xbox One X in case they decide to block downloading/installing that ever too. >_>

So now I have all 3 games there, but yup the digital Doom that I purchased back in the day on 360 wasn't available to install before hand. Such BS.

Digital suuuucks.

Physical 4 life.

Possible work-around

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Workaround fix from reddit

You can redownload them. Go to the Doom or Doom II club (one easy route is by finding the achievements on your profile) and select "See in Microsoft Store" from the main page of the club. It should say "You own this game" and the install button should be available.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

You can redownload them. Go to the Doom or Doom II club (one easy route is by finding the achievements on your profile) and select "See in Microsoft Store" from the main page of the club. It should say "You own this game" and the install button should be available.
Excellent. Threadmark this?

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they removed it so people wouldnt get confused when buying the new re-releases on the store, the problem
Is they removed the entire thing not just a purchasable listing, so people who own it cant re-download.

Im hoping thats what happened and it gets fixed...

Still fucking sucks though

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
If this is half as bad as it looks, I'll legitimately blacklist Bethesda from any future purchases in this hobby. And to be clear, I love their output. This goes beyond the sort of consumer lobbying communities will do; this has the appearance of an actual bad-faith seller.

I'll leave Doom Eternal on the shores of hell, don't test me. Are there any Bethesda reps in the Resetera community we could get clarification from?

did you quote your own twitter

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The same happened with Minecraft story mode, MS should have rules against that like Steam has (you can't take games from people without refunding everyone).

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

Thank you! reinstalling now and copying to a 2nd external hdd.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
The console manufacturers should make it clear to publishers that removing the ability for people to download content that they have purchased is allowed under no fucking circumstances. It should be baked into the core contracts that each publisher signs.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the reason they removed it is because the digital version, for some unknown reason, is unable to play some of the Doom 1 levels on Xbox One BC.

OP, were these games that came with Doom 3 BFG? My understanding is that they are treated as different games on your console, and are the result of a bug in the port to BFG. They warned not to install it to the 360 HDD as well, I recall.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
And people ask me why I hate digital.

Oct 27, 2017
I just reinstalled my Doom 3 BFG physical disc on Xbox One X in case they decide to block downloading/installing that ever too. >_>

So now I have all 3 games there, but yup the digital Doom that I purchased back in the day on 360 wasn't available to install before hand. Such BS.

Digital suuuucks.

Physical 4 life.
Somebody here said if you own it digitally you can take out the disc and it will work without it. Not perfect but I guess it is better than nothing.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure the reason they removed it is because the digital version, for some unknown reason, is unable to play some of the Doom 1 levels on Xbox One BC.

I think it would be very unlikely that they'd remove all these games on the same day they announced the new release, specifically stripping existing owners from being able to download it, in response to that in one game.

Also, do you have any sort of link or confirmation of that problem? I've played a lot of Doom on XB1 BC, and this is the first I'm hearing about it.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be very unlikely that they'd remove all these games on the same day they announced the new release, specifically stripping existing owners from being able to download it, in response to that in one game.

Also, do you have any sort of link or confirmation of that problem? I've played a lot of Doom on XB1 BC, and this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Link to issue

I still have to find the Reddit post about the BC on Xbox One, but imagine it's caused by the same bug.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
So before I go to my local pawn shop and buy the BFG version for ~$5, what would I be missing from this release? I know someone said that online is greyed out, but would I miss out on Thy Flesh Consumed, as well as the extra level for Doom II?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

This worked for me! Go to the games achievements, press the left bumper twice to get to the welcome tab. Then select "see in Microsoft Store" and you can install them. Then it's probably a mistake. Crisis averted and thank you so much for posting this :)

The console manufacturers should make it clear to publishers that removing the ability for people to download content that they have purchased is allowed under no fucking circumstances. It should be baked into the core contracts that each publisher signs.

This so much. It should be standard.

Last edited:

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, what?? I can't use my xbox one right now and I forgot if they're still installed. Even though I have a PC I fucking love those versions, I'm gonna be pissed if I lost them.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
For the folks calling this a bug, how does this explain the EU ps3 version getting delisted?

The games getting delisted isnt a bug, Bethesda is pulling the gen 7 versions from the store and replacing them with gen 8 native versions. The bug is that people arent able to download those gen 7 versions anymore, which given that owners can still do this on PS3, makes it pretty clear that there was some kind of kink in the BC workflow that isnt playing nice with the delisting.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can understand pulling from purchase. But if you already own it they should still be there. They need to fix this if they haven't already.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Link to issue

I still have to find the Reddit post about the BC on Xbox One, but imagine it's caused by the same bug.

That link leads to a 2012 article about playing the XBLA versions of Doom included with Doom3 BFG edition on 360 when you did the 360-specific feature of [installing the disc image]. It caused a conflict, but the game worked as intended if you played it normally. The game even mentioned the issue in the BFG Edition menu itself. It's similar to how Halo 3 had slightly slower load-times when you installed it, vs playing it from the disc (because it was developed to cache a specific way before the install feature existed). This doesn't have anything to do with what you were talking about, and predates the XB1 console by a bit (let alone the BC program).

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
And people ask me why I hate digital.

But this makes no sense.

If I own Zelda Breath of the Wild digitally and let's pretend Nintendo removes it from re-downloading...ok, I lost it.

If I break into your home and steal your Zelda Breath of the Wild cartridge you also, once again, lost the game.

It's literally the same exact thing. You could also lose the cart. Eat it. Loan it and never get it back etc.

Let's not pretend that your "physical" is somehow immune to every going away,

....and this digital stafu will get fixed anyway.

Last edited:

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation sucks. I have Doom 1 already installed but not Doom 2. I need to try that workaround for installing 2.

This situation reminds me of OG Xbox GTA: San Andreas, which I owned digitally and installed on my 360. One day, Rockstar yanked it completely and released a 360 native port of San Andreas with less licensed music. It was impossible to redownload the OG Xbox version, and my digital license could not be used for the 360 port.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Worked like a charm! Thanks.

Bethesda, delist this:

giphy.gif

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I think it's how the BC listings work on Xbox One.

On 360 if they are moved from the store they still are in the 360 download history.

On the Xbox one the BC listings are all store driven so if they follow the 360 policy it effects it from BC and you have to do the game hub/ achievement page work around.

I think this is why there was some strange approach with delisted games up for $1000s of dollars on the store to all the BC discoverability for owners.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, now I'm able to re download DOOM I and II 360. Gonna ask for refund on DOOM I and II re release since they're pretty crap.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
But this makes no sense.

If I own Zelda Breath of the Wild digitally and let's pretend Nintendo removes it from re-downloading...ok, I lost it.

If I break into your home and steal your Zelda Breath of the Wild cartridge you also, once again, lost the game.

It's literally the same exact thing. You could also lose the cart. Eat it. Loan it and never get it back etc.

Except big companies don't risk punishment when they commit a crime against you.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
So much for BC being a perpetuity boon for Xbox.
IMO, being able to re-download it is a must. Trust is key for me if I'm going to purchase digitally from the platform, since ultimately perpetuity is not something anyone can full guarantee for all time - but they can certainly make it so that it is in the most absolute rare circumstance.

Part of why GOG and Steam have been mainstays for me, is the trust is there from years of supporting perpetuity on purchases - even when games are taken down for legal reasons / cashgrab remasters

EDIT - Excellent if the work around can stay - I still have my OG Doom games if I end up with a new Xbox anytime

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is there someone whose profile I can look up for a moment to find the achievement list / game hub for Doom II?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it by looking at profiles from a Doom club on XBL.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The console owners need to handle this like Valve and most other PC stores do: If money changed hands, a game will never be removed from a player's account. Not even if the publisher *really* wants it gone.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Thank you!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The console owners need to handle this like Valve and most other PC stores do: If money changed hands, a game will never be removed from a player's account. Not even if the publisher *really* wants it gone.

Yeah, absolutely. That's the only way to have trust for the store and service. Steam has near 15 years of proving this consistently - though let me highlight something a shitty pub / developer can do, vs what a great pub / dev would do

1 - Rockstar - San Andreas - iirc they pulled the game, and naturally owners can still redownload, but when they brought it back, they pulled out the music that was causing an issue for both old and new users. This was completely unnecessary, lazy and not something Valve did anything about - mostly since its fairly easy to mod back in, but it is a problem nonetheless. What the dev should have done, is leave the depot as it was for those owners. They could make a seperate depot for new users, which would have been best for all.

2 - Mafia 1 - game was pulled years ago, all users could still play it. When the dev / pub years later brought back a remaster, they updated the game for all users - BUT, made a seperate DLC exclusive to the original owners, containing the entire unaltered music. That's how you do it!

For all the remasters where games have been pulled, so far on Steam, I have all of them still available to me - or received the new version free - which is a simple good gesture.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
But this makes no sense.

Oh boy, this argument again... the point being insurance or anything else you mentioned means physical copy can always be replaced, your digital only game can never be replaced (if physical was never an option)

Also in almost all cases of theft insurance will cover it, try getting that refund with digital theft by pubs.