• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The real best solution to game preservation is a combination of physical versions, and DRM-free digital versions. That way there are physical artifacts just in case someone wants to buy a game that's been delisted, but there are also digital copies that can be backed up and aren't dependent on some corporation keeping a server up.

Digital and physical isn't an either/or thing. I don't know why so many people act like it is. Even in industries that adopted digital far faster than games, physical copies are still produced and sold.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The real best solution to game preservation is a combination of physical versions, and DRM-free digital versions. That way there are physical artifacts just in case someone wants to buy a game that's been delisted, but there are also digital copies that can be backed up and aren't dependent on some corporation keeping a server up.

Digital and physical isn't an either/or thing. I don't know why so many people act like it is. Even in industries that adopted digital far faster than games, physical copies are still produced and sold.

People like to pretend this is a Zero sum game, as if companies can't have Physical, digital and streaming co-exist. No clearly one option must prevail and the others must die because "progress" Why let consumers have any choice in how they consume their media

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
As someone who played through the entirety of Bloodstained on Switch, unplayable garbage is a huge exaggeration. Despite the issues the port has, which I'm not denying, the game is perfectly playable from start to finish. Spare us the hyperbole

No hyperbole. I can repost my screenshots and videos of how crappy the game ran. Or you can just go anywhere else not named ResetERA and see everyone complaining about it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like Bethesda have successfully implemented the door in the face technique.

I think they're going to be let off the chain because they have restored access to previous purchasers, but it's still petty of them to delist these titles from sale.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Bethesda have successfully implemented the door in the face technique.

I think they're going to be let off the chain because they have restored access to previous purchasers, but it's still petty of them to delist these titles from sale.
It doesn't make any sense to delist those games. Iirc Doom and Doom 2 were 5 dollars each on 360. They could still have sold those versions. Why would it matter which platform they were on?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Those versions don't push you to create a Bethesda.net account.
Yeah, and even if it "allegedly" was a mistake and was made for tying it to some Slayer club unlocks, then I guess it could just be used as another way to advertise their new game.

"Hey! I just unlocked some exclusive skin in Doom Eternal for playing Doom (1993)! Guess I'm really buying that now."

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by the thread title. What's fixed? can you download previously bought games? If so, that's perfectly fine. If you can't get acesss to a previously bought game , a popular and important one as doom, then it's a real problem an we should do something.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by the thread title. What's fixed? can you download previously bought games? If so, that's perfectly fine. If you can't get acesss to a previously bought game , a popular and important one as doom, then it's a real problem an we should do something.
People who already bought the XBLA versions can download them again (they were unable to, which is why this thread was created).

They have made it so people who already bought it can download it again, but they have removed them from sale, so people cannot buy them now if they wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have the 360 version of Doom II. Are the Master Levels included? I know it has the new No Rest for the Living, but wasn't sure about the older, original add- on.

Wondering of Doom II X1 included Master Levels instead of No Rest for the Living, or just straight up didn't bother to include it. (which seems weird since No Rest for the Living was Nerves baby, and they did the new port too.)

IMO, both versions should have both expansions, and I hope Bethesda listens, as they have with the delisting's and login issues.

..and then port Final Doom and Doom 64 to modern consoles #itstime

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Are there any examples of digital stores that have removed access to re-download a game, while they remain open?

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I liked the idea of having all of my games on my console, so I went mostly digital with the Wii U and 3DS. I wisened up near the end, buying all of my games physical once I realized how bad of a deal it was. With Nintendo closing the Wii shop, I can't redownload my VC games, and once they do the same to the Wii U (it'll happen for sure) then I'll lose access to dozens of Wii U retail and VC games. Same for the 3DS, not to mention every digital game on both systems is tied to that console, so if I ever lose them or Nintendo decides to stop repairing them, I'm SOL. Nintendo is the worst company to go digital for since they aren't committed to preserving your purchases cross-platform like, say, Microsoft.

I won't be buying any more Nintendo games digital since the Switch shop will likely close down one day too.
Calm down a bit. You can still download all your Wii titles, don't worry.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Hundreds if not thousands of IOS games, some very noteworthy.

I was thinking more in line with traditional console digital stores, but this works too. Can you share some specific links on the thousands of iOS games that have been removed? I found some articles from back in 2015, where several games were removed from the download history, but they were reinstated after a while.

Jun 17, 2018
Question for those that have the 360 version of Doom II. Are the Master Levels included? I know it has the new No Rest for the Living, but wasn't sure about the older, original add- on.

Wondering of Doom II X1 included Master Levels instead of No Rest for the Living, or just straight up didn't bother to include it. (which seems weird since No Rest for the Living was Nerves baby, and they did the new port too.)

IMO, both versions should have both expansions, and I hope Bethesda listens, as they have with the delisting's and login issues.

..and then port Final Doom and Doom 64 to modern consoles #itstime

I remember my dad buying me a new PSX and 2 copies of Final Doom (one for his console) on my birthday, those were the good days! Linking up and fucking up demons. Happy Times.

Would love to play it on modern consoles, the levels in that game were awesome.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure how true this is but I seem to remember seeing a thread about Drive club being removed from PSN, will it be redownloable in future?

I asume that the people that purchased Driveclub should be able to download it again from download history.

"Sony has announced that servers for Driveclub, Driveclub VR and Driveclub Bikes are all being shut down on March 31, 2020. The games and all their DLC are being pulled from the PSN Store later this year, on August 31, 2019.

Players who own these games will still be able to play the single player modes found in these games after the servers are shut down. But all social and online features will no longer work once the servers are turned off.

After August 31, the game will no longer be purchasable. So if you want to play Driveclub, you need to buy it soon.

Driveclub developers Evolution Studios were shuttered by Sony in 2016 and then Codemasters acquired the staff from the studio shortly after the closure."

Oct 28, 2017
This incident reminds me of losing access to my XBLA copy of Doom back in 2009, when the publisher changed after the id buyout happened. Never got it back after they republished it on XBLA. Same happened with Worms as well.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This incident reminds me of losing access to my XBLA copy of Doom back in 2009, when the publisher changed after the id buyout happened. Never got it back after they republished it on XBLA. Same happened with Worms as well.
I thought about that a little too. I didn't have to rebuy the games though. I just complained to Xbox Support a few times. I can't clearly remember if something happened similar to Wolfenstein 3d (I think something weird happened with that too though, where it would just install it twice on your 360).

There was an issue if you bought the game before it left Activision with having access to them on Xbox One when they went BC and it took a while for them to figure out how to give you access to them since the Bethesda version is actually just slightly a different than the Activision version. Aside from the spash screens with the pubs' name, like Doom 1 had crosses on the first aid packs in the Activision version and still and you could still download that version on 360 if you bought it early and added it to your queue from your download history.

You can't anymore after they figured out that mess for the BC peeps, though.